State reps ponder cell ban

State reps ponder cell ban

There are 20 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Feb 10, 2010, titled State reps ponder cell ban. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

Fourteen-year-old Renae Hall says Vermont can't live without a law restricting the use of cell phones by drivers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

ABoardmember

Bethel, VT

#1 Feb 11, 2010
A cell phone band is an idiot idea in a rural state. Fireman and policeman and public officials drive all the time with radios, cell phones, and other distracting devices. How come they are not included in the proposed band? There is already a law against this hazard -- if it is a true hazard for all, by all -- Its called Reckless driving!

If Sharon Racusin is hit on her walk to work, no one should call for help. Its a hazard to do so, right Sharon!
Vermont transplant

Middlebury, VT

#2 Feb 11, 2010
I think hands free is a safer option than none. People get just as distracted with the radio or lighting a cigarette or even yelling at their kids. You can't ban everything in life. This is not a communist country yet or is it? You walking to work is a distraction to drivers too. They don't know if you might jump in front of their car or not or if you are even paying attention or are you listening to your ipod? Next we will be banning pedestrians and bikes unless they are on a sidewalk because they become distractions if they are walking in the road don't they?
GDog

Miami, FL

#3 Feb 11, 2010
The state is in the hole and banning cell phones is a priority? Get the 15-18 year old drivers off the road and they can text and talk on their electronic leashes all day.

"What are ya doin?"
"Nothin'"
"Im bored"
"Me 2"
"OMG"
"LOL"
I used to be RV

Cambridge, MA

#4 Feb 11, 2010
GDog wrote:
The state is in the hole and banning cell phones is a priority? Get the 15-18 year old drivers off the road and they can text and talk on their electronic leashes all day.
"What are ya doin?"
"Nothin'"
"Im bored"
"Me 2"
"OMG"
"LOL"
and that sounds like my posts on topix
nick

Troy, NY

#5 Feb 11, 2010
just do what new york does.... Get a fricken bluetooth for your employees.. And if you dont like your friends doing that then dont ride with them....
Jim

Bennington, VT

#6 Feb 11, 2010
When is Vermont going to get w/the program. Texting and driving kills!!!Why not adopt same policy as NY State. Does anyone else think that VT lawmakers are a Joke? No talking on cell phones while driving period. Puli over!! M wife and I both have cell phones and no one can tell me that talking and driving is not dangerous.
"A measure that would establish a $100 fine for texting while driving has been approved in the state Senate and is awaiting action in the House. "
Their Idiots....if they don't see the seriousness of this problem.
Jim
to each their own

Morrisville, VT

#7 Feb 11, 2010
Texting while driving should be banned. But I don't see a difference in listening to a phone call or listening to music. NY and CT all have banned cell phone use while driving, and yet surprisingly EVERYONE still uses their cell phones while driving. So what got accomplished? I see more people messing with their stereo and GPS as I do "distracted" by a phone call.
A Jackson

Middlebury, VT

#8 Feb 11, 2010
to each their own wrote:
Texting while driving should be banned. But I don't see a difference in listening to a phone call or listening to music. NY and CT all have banned cell phone use while driving, and yet surprisingly EVERYONE still uses their cell phones while driving. So what got accomplished? I see more people messing with their stereo and GPS as I do "distracted" by a phone call.
There is a difference unless you are talking to the radio. It should be made a contributing factor in any accident, like DUI, and cause the penalties to increase like DUI.
toadstool

Rochester, VT

#9 Feb 11, 2010
I understand why some would think a ban on texting or chatting on a cell phone while driving is an infringement of their rights, but don't I and everyone else have a right to drive our cars free from the threat of being injured or killed by some bonehead texting their BFF ?
And yes, if you do this while driving you are a bonehead!
GDog

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Feb 11, 2010
First off, driving is a privilege not a right. Second, there are enough morons with licenses who can't drive already, like prius owners.
to each their own

Morrisville, VT

#11 Feb 12, 2010
A Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a difference unless you are talking to the radio. It should be made a contributing factor in any accident, like DUI, and cause the penalties to increase like DUI.
well people sing along to the radio, frequently change stations, put in and take out cds- so really there is no difference.
IRATE TAXPAYER

Little Rock, AR

#12 Feb 13, 2010
Dodging Vermont's potholes and driving over their crumbing bridges is a bigger risk than cell phone use. VT's politicians are spending so much time annoying Vermont Yankee about their maintenance, they cannot even take care of their own infra-structure maintenance. Thank god the state does not run the nuclear plants. The state's incompetence in doing necessary maintenance would be a real risk to the public.

“I like pickles too”

Since: Mar 09

Bennington :(

#13 Feb 15, 2010
What's wonderful is it is suggested that "maybe for young people" cell phone use be banned while driving. Give me a break. Yes, younger drivers are less experienced. But do you know how many idiot adults drive while talking and make you cringe the entire time you're watching their vehicle swerve or go completely inconsistent speeds? If business owners rely on cell phone use to be productive, then they're just going to have to find other ways to get into contact. Have your drivers get pagers and page them. As soon as they're paged, at the earliest convenience they should pull over and call you on their cell to see what you want. If someone gets hit by a car or there's an emergency, it's very likely you are going to stop your car to help, not keep driving. So there is no reason why a person in a stopped car could not call 911 if someone was injured. Give me a break people, are we really this dependent on cell phones now that you honestly think it's OK to talk on them while driving?! People survived for MANY years before cell phones came along, doesn't mean we can't now!
GDog

Miami, FL

#14 Feb 15, 2010
Maybe if you can prove that you are capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time then you get a cell phone endorsement on your license. Legislating to the lowest common denominator is a waste of time. The idiots will not follow the law anyway.
how is it enforced

Barre, VT

#15 Feb 15, 2010
How can this law be enforced? I can't see how this law would change anything. Drive in NY and you will see just as many people on cells.

E*D*U*C*A*T*I*O*N

Isn't that the answer to everything?
realistic

Brighton, MA

#16 Feb 15, 2010
It is rarely enforced...travel to NY or any state where it is banned. People are talking away. And remember, people have always been distracted while driving. Having screaming kids in the back seat, looking for something on the ground..remember CB radios? I would love to meet someone who drives a car with no passengers, no radio and zero distractions...where do draw the line against distractions??
ABoardmember

Montpelier, VT

#17 Feb 15, 2010
Jim wrote:
When is Vermont going to get w/the program. Texting and driving kills!!!Why not adopt same policy as NY State. Does anyone else think that VT lawmakers are a Joke? No talking on cell phones while driving period. Puli over!! M wife and I both have cell phones and no one can tell me that talking and driving is not dangerous.
"A measure that would establish a $100 fine for texting while driving has been approved in the state Senate and is awaiting action in the House. "
Their Idiots....if they don't see the seriousness of this problem.
Jim
NY just passed their law. As to you being dangerous when talking, tell us what you drive so we can avoid you.

“I like pickles too”

#18 Feb 16, 2010
There are points that there are other distractions in the car when someone is driving, but how many times do these other distractions actually cause an accident? How many times has texting or talking on the phone caused accidents?
GDog

Miami, FL

#19 Feb 16, 2010
It doesn't matter how many accidents are caused by cellphones, this law is about control. Some people have accidents because they are distracted by cellphones, so everybody must not be allowed to use them in the car.

“I like pickles too”

#20 Feb 19, 2010
GDog wrote:
It doesn't matter how many accidents are caused by cellphones, this law is about control. Some people have accidents because they are distracted by cellphones, so everybody must not be allowed to use them in the car.
So is this like the smoking thing, where Ted's grand daddy smoked until he was 95 and died of natural causes, so it makes it ok for others to smoke without worry of health problems, even though smoking is proven to cause diseases and be a cause of death?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hardwick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2 Vt. men face sex crimes involving teens (Nov '10) Sep '17 Sosick 5
Wrong information about the "Jasper Hill" farm!!! (Jan '07) Jul '17 Lifelibertyfreedom1 5
the music thread (Mar '12) Jul '17 Musikologist 21
chair company (Jan '17) Apr '17 VCCC Sux 3
News Mother, two daughters, die in Wardsboro (Apr '08) Apr '17 kjc10 20
Hair Salon (Mar '15) Mar '15 JJJ 1
News Police Notes (Jun '14) Dec '14 Terry P 2

Hardwick Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hardwick Mortgages