Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
64,681 - 64,700 of 81,596 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
W KY Girl

Oswego, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>skin, fry, eat.
I'm thinking marinade, spices, crock pot for a coon. Fried rabbit & squirrel, yes. I cooked some deer on top of the stove a year or so ago that was pretty dang good. I've got soft in my old age, don't really like the dressing part - it makes me sad. lol
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

A smoker is a good tool for game, it makes game tender and adds flavor.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Hempburn wrote:
Come on Humpaburn, you know it has to be a Weber.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Imposter wrote:
<quoted text> Raccoons' standing in the road... washing windows ...for for handouts???
Humpaburn, Dude, you have finnaly smoked yourself silly.
Just when I think Humpaburn can't top his previous adventure, he goes and does it. LMFAO.
Imposter

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>Come on Humpaburn, you know it has to be a Weber.
The only smoker/grill that holds the perfect 220 degree cooking temp???
Imposter

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Hempburn wrote:
You should know all about a SMOKER dude. lol

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>The only smoker/grill that holds the perfect 220 degree cooking temp???
Correction 225. It takes the extra 5 degrees to properly smoke fresh dog nuts, from Humpaburns vet friend. LMAO.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

No, no, no, no,, the key temperature is 225 degrees! Holy french fried wildebeest, don't cook too low! The Green Egg, that's a sweet smoker but my cheap little Weber does a fine job at a third the price. Why I'm so poor, cooking outdoors is the only way I can afford a hot meal.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

The wife did get a little, put off shall I say, when asked if I wanted to go see Twilight with the group and I told her,, if I wanted to watch a bunch of sparkly dudes suck on each other, I'd go to an Elton John concert.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Hempburn wrote:
No, no, no, no,, the key temperature is 225 degrees! Holy french fried wildebeest, don't cook too low! The Green Egg, that's a sweet smoker but my cheap little Weber does a fine job at a third the price. Why I'm so poor, cooking outdoors is the only way I can afford a hot meal.
Truthfully Humpaburn, the wife makes you do all the cooking and she won't allow your messy drunken butt in her kitchen. I don't blame her, I wouldn't cook for you either. Go for the Green Egg though. You need it when the wifes hungry relatives show up unexpectedly and begin chewing the legs on the dining table.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Hempburn wrote:
The wife did get a little, put off shall I say, when asked if I wanted to go see Twilight with the group and I told her,, if I wanted to watch a bunch of sparkly dudes suck on each other, I'd go to an Elton John concert.
That's a good one. Lol.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

The only way I've ever cooked venison and had it come out halfway edible was to soak it overnight in a half buttermilk and half salt water bath.

The next day, I poke "holes" into the roast and place half cloves of garlic into each one, then salt and pepper it, and wrap the whole roast in about a pound of hickory cured bacon. After that's all done, I lay it on some heavy duty tin foil, surround it with quartered onions, quartered taters and some nice fat carrots cut into large chunks.
(If your veggies are cut too small, they'll disintegrate as it cooks and you'll just have a veggie "mush" around your venison when it's done).

Seal it really well in the foil and bake/roast for about 3 hours at around 300-325 degrees. You don't have to baste it because the foil wrapping and the veggies along with the bacon, will do the job...

About 45 minutes before you want to take it out of the oven, turn back the foil to expose the deer meat but still keep the veggies covered so they don't toast and get scorched and turn the oven down to around 250 degrees. This will help to brown the bacon wrapping, plus it also lets some steam and liquid escape so you can use the drippings to make a gravy if you want to.

Let the roast sit on the stove uncovered for about a half hour to let the meat "rest"..

Other than venison sausage, this is about the only way I can eat deer meat. The bacon gives it some much needed fat, the veggies flavor it up, and the overnight marinade and slow cooking tenderizes it.
friend

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

heck yea
raven

Fort Gay, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Hempburn wrote:
I watched the first two parts of that saga. you'd think that Stewart girl would be "experienced" at something. And those little pansy boys on there...Well Liam Neison on Rob Roy and Richard Gere in First Knight get my thumbs up for hot, steamy scenes. LOL. I didn't see any point to the flick.
Tracker

Irvington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Are the birds still falling???
raven

Fort Gay, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Whole Jamaican all spice berries give meat. good flavor. I began using them in my butt roasts , stews and briskest. Warms the flavor up. Also, cracked pepper seems to flavor food better. Rosemary and thyme I found are great on potatoes. All this talk about grilled food, fried meats. Now, I'm wanting barbecue pulled pork and a sweet tater casserole as dessert. Shame, shame;) Maybe some asparagus drizzled in a butter and lemon sauce. O yummy!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Has the birds stopped falling???
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Chef Leo's ( chefleo.com ) Wild Game and Meat Rub can be bought online and the contents seem quite similar to NOPE's roast fixings. It contains garlic, chilles, Molasses, Coffee, Onion, and other spices.

They also sell a seasoning for "Camp Stew" with a recipe on the back containing 4 potatoes 4 tomatoes, 1/2 head of cabbage, an ear of corn (shaved) and a pound of smoked sausage with a teaspoon of their Camp Stew spice. I made that and it is pretty good vittles.
W KY Girl

Oswego, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

The last time I cooked deer, I cut the meat all off the bone and put it in a pot on the stove - add soy sauce and dried lemon peel. I almost covered it with water and boiled it until most of the water was gone. Check and see if it is tender and if not, more water and cook longer. Cook until most of the water is gone but don't dry it out. If you tweek the soy sauce and dreid lemon peel just right it is delicious! I think next time a little cayenne pepper.:)
Imposter

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
Chef Leo's ( chefleo.com ) Wild Game and Meat Rub can be bought online and the contents seem quite similar to NOPE's roast fixings. It contains garlic, chilles, Molasses, Coffee, Onion, and other spices.
They also sell a seasoning for "Camp Stew" with a recipe on the back containing 4 potatoes 4 tomatoes, 1/2 head of cabbage, an ear of corn (shaved) and a pound of smoked sausage with a teaspoon of their Camp Stew spice. I made that and it is pretty good vittles.
Old scruffy wolf is a man of few words, such a man's words carry more weight, somehow.

Reminds me of a rhyme grandpa used to say when us kids chitter chattered too much;

There once was an owl that lived in an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.
The less he spoke, the more he heard.
Why cant we all be like that wise old bird?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hardinsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 8 min MitchistheMan 988
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 13 min DITCH MITCH 150,978
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 2 hr Trufts 1,047
Escape 3 hr informant 19
Yet another police officer picente has gone dow... 5 hr Mike Picente 18
Jennifer webb 6 hr Get out 29
another meth bust? 17 hr angel 38

Search the Hardinsburg Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Hardinsburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000