North Port ranked among the top 10 small cities to move to

Posted in the Harbour Heights Forum

Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Mar 27, 2014
Dagoose

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Nov 15, 2013
 

Judged:

17

17

16

I know it won't be long till all of the nay-sayers tear this thread apart but I can personally say North Port is a great place to live.

http://insiderealestate.heraldtribune.com/201...
To Tell The Truth

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Nov 17, 2013
 

Judged:

6

5

2

Dagoose wrote:
I know it won't be long till all of the nay-sayers tear this thread apart but I can personally say North Port is a great place to live.
http://insiderealestate.heraldtribune.com/201...
Imagine that, a real estate business expounding the limted virtues of it's clients.
Here are a few things they left out.
Highest foreclosure rate in the county.

Unemployment above the national average.

80% of the jobs are part time minimum wage. I have no idea where in the hell they got the average income figures from but they sure do not fit the income in the ten square miles were I live.

A police and fire departments that are in constant turmoil.

City commis. causes closure of Warm Mineral Springs. Money going out, with nothing coming in.

You live in Joilet IL my friend, purgatory would look great to you.

Lastly, since when is countering with factual information tearing something apart.
If the facts that you post can not stand up to scrutiny and factual counter points, guess what?

Your points of supposed facts are not worth the time you spent posting them.

I find that is very true for people in the real estate business like yourself. who try to use forums to sell their wares.
Some Hard Facts

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Nov 17, 2013
 
Dagoose

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Nov 17, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

3

To Tell The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Imagine that, a real estate business expounding the limted virtues of it's clients.
Here are a few things they left out.
Highest foreclosure rate in the county.
Unemployment above the national average.
80% of the jobs are part time minimum wage. I have no idea where in the hell they got the average income figures from but they sure do not fit the income in the ten square miles were I live.
A police and fire departments that are in constant turmoil.
City commis. causes closure of Warm Mineral Springs. Money going out, with nothing coming in.
You live in Joilet IL my friend, purgatory would look great to you.
Lastly, since when is countering with factual information tearing something apart.
If the facts that you post can not stand up to scrutiny and factual counter points, guess what?
Your points of supposed facts are not worth the time you spent posting them.
I find that is very true for people in the real estate business like yourself. who try to use forums to sell their wares.
I guess you guys got me. North Port is the ONLY city in the United States that has problem cops. And I do not live in Joliet. I don't know how that happened. I live in a small town in central Illinois with a low crime rate which is why North Port feels right at home when I'm down there the other 6 months of the year.

And if you want the FACTS then go to this link and look at the average income and crime rates.

http://www.city-data.com/city/North-Port-Flor...

You guys should either move or kill yourselves instead of constantly whining about how horrible your life is. For the rest of us we'll continue enjoying the time we spend in the quiet small town.

And by the way, Motovo (the company in the link) is a NATIONWIDE company.
Some Hard Facts

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Nov 18, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

3

Oh, sorry I left this little disclaimer from the bottom of your website Dagoose.

Recent home sales, price trends, and home value evaluator powered by Onboard Informatics
© 2013 Onboard Informatics. Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.

City-data.com does not guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of any information on this site. Use at your own risk.
Website © 2003-2013 Advameg, Inc.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/North-Port-Flor...
Some Hard Facts

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 18, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

One should always trust anyone or thing related to the real estate industry, such as City-Data right Dagoose?
----------
From NBC:
Real estate agents are famous for putting a listing in the best possible light to close a sale. On Thursday, the industry's national trade association confirmed that its monthly data have been painting a rosier picture of the pace of home sales since 2007.
As msnbc.com reported in March, the National Association of Realtors has been overstating the pace of existing home sales by more than 16 percent. The trade group now says just 17.7 million existing homes were sold from 2007 to 2010, not the 20.6 million it originally reported. The NAR made no changes to its data on home prices.
In its announcement of the downward revisions, the trade group sought to downplay the impact of "re-benchmarking" the data lower.
“From a consumer’s perspective, only the local market information matters and there are no changes to local multiple listing service data or local supply-and-demand balance, or to local home prices,” NAR economist Lawrence Yun said in a release explaining the revisions.
The NAR's monthly sales data is a critical input for a host of widely-watched forecasts generated by public and private economists - from Wall Street to the Federal Reserve. Investors make big bets based on the data. Debates on government policy, from the White House to Capitol Hill, rely on this barometer of the health of the housing industry, a critical pillar of the U.S economy.
Some Hard Facts

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 18, 2013
 
A little more data on City-Data Dagoose which you are a member of and post on.

They do not use factual government statistics. Rather they use third party information who's information they do not release and can not be verified.
In simple terms they can pull stuff right out of their backside.

The company is owned and operated by the president and secretry (all the same person) of Advameg, Inc.

Here is the real screamer Dagoose!The Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives the company an "F" rating on a scale from A+ to F. High marks for a site you want to use as a standard for you post.
http://www.bbb.org/chicago/business-reviews/i...

Reason for Rating
BBB rating is based on 16 factors.
Factors that lowered Advameg, Inc.'s rating include:
10 complaints filed against business
Failure to respond to 9 complaints filed against business.
One complaint filed against business that was not resolved.
BBB does not have sufficient information to determine how long this business has been operating.
BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business. BBB made two or more requests for background information from the business. BBB has not received a response from this business and/or has not been able to verify information received from this business.
BBB does not have sufficient information to determine size of business. BBB evaluation of business is based on rating formula's smallest size classification.

Here are some real strange coincidence Dagoose. The company gives and address of, Flossmoor, IL . Doing some checking you will find that that locations is a "VACANT LOT". That location is also in the backyard of Joliet IL.
Another strange coincidence is that the president lives in south Cook Co. which also in Joliet's backyard. You know, the city in IL where you are not from.
The president also has very close ties to the real estate industry who he derives a vast amount of his income from by having their links on City-Data.
Wow, one would think that there is somekind of connection to all of these.
Last Dagoose, I have lived here year round since 1982. How about you?
Toni G

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Dagoose wrote:
And if you want the FACTS then go to this link and look at the average income and crime rates.
http://www.city-data.com/city/North-Port-Flor...
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/City_Data

The data on the main site is often several years out of date (such as home sales and unemployment), if not nearly a decade on some (home value prices). A great deal of the data seems to pander towards the usual gossipy material[16] that appeals to the worst American instincts toward moral panic ("likely homosexual couples", "registered sex offenders", etc.) presented in crude graphs and cheap overly broad bullet points.[17]"
----------

Say's it all for me about that scam site called City-Data.
Dagoose

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Nov 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

As I said before, my post has just as much to do with personal experience as the links I posted. You guys see nothing but crime, degradation and corruption. I see a great town with low crime, low property taxes, no required flood insurance, no traffic jams and great, friendly neighbors.

So again...if I felt about North Port as you guys do I would either move or kill myself.

It's funny how someone can HATE a town that much yet choose to continue to make it their home sweet home.

Pretty sad, really. Or hypocritical.
Some Hard Facts

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Nov 18, 2013
 
Dagoose wrote:
As I said before, my post has just as much to do with personal experience as the links I posted. You guys see nothing but crime, degradation and corruption. I see a great town with low crime, low property taxes, no required flood insurance, no traffic jams and great, friendly neighbors.
So again...if I felt about North Port as you guys do I would either move or kill myself.
It's funny how someone can HATE a town that much yet choose to continue to make it their home sweet home.
Pretty sad, really. Or hypocritical.
It is called commitment to friends and family. North Port was great before real estate started killing everything that made the city great. No cheap housing scams, loss of 75 percent of the tree canopy, crime increase, poluttion of waterways, loss of wildlife etc.

I will weather through this crap time as I have for three decades. I will be here long after you have left when you have found that you were wrong. Bye the way you never have said how long you have lived here. If things are so grand and great, why not live here all the time? I am betting it is less then ten and it is one of the gated communities that keep sucking up more green space. It is people such as yourself that wear rose colored glasses that are clueless about the city. You have no clue what the city was realy like when I moved here so please stop repeating your real estate chant of "the city is great" a rest.
Ignore The Hired Help

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Nov 18, 2013
 
SHF and Toni G, just ignore Dagoose. There are about a dozen of just like him/her who are nothing more then paid shills who spam crap like that.

One will start a thread like "Where can I find a good roofer?" or "I am looking to by a good used boat" etc, etc.

Next one of their cohorts will respond with a company, business or person who pays them for promoting their business.

SHF you are right about City-Data being a scam. The president and owner is Lech Mazur. There is no number to contact either him or the company. All contact is by email only.
Hell I even found Dagoose and five others in North Port on that site that do this, "Oh, I know a place" sh*t, as a job.
Most who post here on Topix usualy use another name rather then their City-Data name.
Guess Dagoose was to stupid to think someone would not follow their tracks back to their mommy site.

There is one that usualy goes by the name of Sunshine on Topix and City-Data who's specialty is real estate spamming. She will post on numerous boards through out the state stating how much she loves living in the town she is posting to.

So whenever on of these real estate and business spammers hit these boards just post one of their own trade mark sayings.
That being "THE SECRET IS OUT"!
Dagoose

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Nov 18, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Follow my tracks? I wasn't aware that I was trying to hide anything. I just found a good article and posted it on this board. Period. I'm not trying to sell or promote a damn thing.

No gated community for me SHF. In fact my house was built in the 70's. I have GREAT neighbors and family in the area too.

I was just perplexed at all of the negative things I read about NP on this site. It almost caused me to look elsewhere for my winter home. But after asking my niece and nephew about it they said the nay-sayers on this site were full of shit. They have lived here for over 20 years and they said that Sarasota has a MUCH higher crime rate than NP and that it and Venice and Englewood were much more congested. And you know what? THEY WERE RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG.

So again....if you think NP is SO BAD then do yourself a favor and MOVE OUT. And don't give me any crap about "family in the area". There are plenty of places nearby to move to. But I'm guessing you won't because anywhere else close by will have heavier traffic, more expensive houses, higher property taxes, higher crime and you'll have to pay out the nose for flood insurance.

Am I saying that NP is shangri-la? By no means!! I'm well aware that it has its problems too.

My biggest point is that NP is nowhere near as bad as you guys make it out to be. It sounds like it would kill you to come up with only one good thing to say about it.
Toni G

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Nov 18, 2013
 
If you bought a home built in the 70's it has to be in the Deed Restricted Jockey Club,(aka Jerky Club) since that was the only housing area built back then. Good old GDC Cracker Jack home.
The are called that because they are shaped like one. They are also cheap like Cracker Jack's to. Nothing but wood and stucco, no block. If you paid more then $45 grand for a house there, you got ripped off big time.:)

When Hurrican Charley hit in Pt. Charlotte damn near everyone of their GDC Cracker Jack homes where destroyed.
The wind blew the garage doors in, then shot through the attic door in the garage and blew out through the roof.
Your home his anything but hurricane protected.

Here is some real big information. The Big Slough Waterway runs righ through that housing area. It drains half of Sarasota Co. and Desoto Co. It flooded real good twice in the mid 90's. It also reacts to hurricanes as well. A storm surge from a cat 4-5 will push the water up the Myaka River and into the Big slough right where the two join in the Jockey Club. The Big Slough as the farthest inland flood plain in North Port. If you do not believe me check it here.
https://www.scgov.net/Pages/default.aspx

Guess your real estate agent or nephew forgot to tell you that.
Hope you have good homer onwers insurance that covers water damage from flooding.

Oh and here is some other good reports about the Jockey Club.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20111023...

And especialy this one from Topix, make sure you read post number 88. The one about the drug house on Erie Ct in the Jockey Club.
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/north-port-fl...

You realy don't have a clue what it is like here in North Port do you.
Do you realy even live here?

Oh, I all most forgot, If you do live in the Jerky Club wait until you get your new tax bill.
Man are you in for a rude awakening.

Bye-Bye and Buy Bonds
Dagoose

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Nov 19, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Are you saying that NP is the only place with crime and weirdos?

Sooo....why do you continue to live there ToniG, ITHH, and SHF? You guys act as if NP is the worst place in the US to live.

I'm guessing one of two things.....

1) You secretly love NP and simply try to scare people away.
2) You hate NP but since you're unqualified for anything other than minimum wage you can't afford to move.
Toni G

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Nov 19, 2013
 
Dagoose wrote:
Are you saying that NP is the only place with crime and weirdos?
Sooo....why do you continue to live there ToniG, ITHH, and SHF? You guys act as if NP is the worst place in the US to live.
I'm guessing one of two things.....
1) You secretly love NP and simply try to scare people away.
2) You hate NP but since you're unqualified for anything other than minimum wage you can't afford to move.
Sorry nonw of the above. In fact my husband and I have lived in 3 different house since living here in 1974. The city had nothing east of North Port Blvd at that time. There was no interstate here either and the only store in town was Winn Dixie and there was one gas station and that was Chevron. My husband was an FHP officer (now retired) and had just been posted to troop "F" out of Venice. We started in a block house a few streets from the springs.
For the last ten years we have lived in a home we had built on a cul de sac north of the interstate in a nicely wooded area.
We are not wanton for money (such as my husbands meager retirement is) nor are we by any means rich.
We have seen the city go from a "hello how are you" town to the spralling "hey, I want things the way they were where I come from."

I do not care who moves here. What I do care about is the continued over developement and sprall that has consumed the city in the last 20 years. There is more then enough existing houses that are empty, yet more and more housing developement are going up. All most all are gated communities. Oh and by the way just because the Jockey Club does not have a gate or wall, it is a deed restricted community just like the Country Club Bob Cat Trails, etc.
So with that I hope that slams the lid on your previous post. I also found you minimum wage worker comment demeaning and arrogant. An attitude that seems to be pervasive of those moving here from out of state over the last 20 years. The "I got mine, screw you" attitude our city can more then do with out.

By the way my husbands family is originaly from the E.Peoria Il. area.(still has family there) He says that if you have just retired and live in Canton you must have worked for the state.
The reason being is that the only employer left in town is the Correctional Center since there has been nothing else there since the International Harvester plant went belly up in the early 80's. He said if that is the case that would explain your "I'm always right" as well as your condescending attitude towards those less fortunate. He says there is nothing worse attitude wise then a wannabe cop turnkey jailer.

I however think your attitude has more to do with the fact that you are finding out that North Port is not the rosey picture that was painted by your real estate agent and family members and you just do not want to admitt it.
You never did respond as to whether or not you live in the Jerky Club or checked the flood zone map for North Port.
Toni G

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Nov 19, 2013
 
Oh here is something a little more recent if you live in the Jerky Club. Since you have not responded to any of the points I pointed out about the area, I take that as a big yes.

Sorry for the reality check.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php...
Dagoose

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Nov 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Well if you think that the correctional center is the only employer around then I can tell that you or your husband have not been in the area for a very long time.

Most of the folks in Canton work at Caterpiller, various power plants (from which I am retired), ADM, Keystone, the brand new Cook Medical Products plant that just added over 300 jobs to the area and other various places around Peoria, East Peoria, Pekin, Morton, etc. I have not now nor ever worked for the government. That was actually a very strange assumption?

As for finding my "minimum wage worker comment demeaning and arrogant" I merely parroted the first response to my original post if you would care to go back up and read it. The first response said, and I quote, that "80% of the jobs are part time minimum wage". So no arrogance on my part. Just repeating a "fact" that was posted by someone who lives there full time.

And I can actually relate to your statement "For the last ten years we have lived in a home we had built on a cul de sac north of the interstate in a nicely wooded area." That explains a lot why you think NP is going to hell in a handbasket and "it's the worst place in the world" to live attitude.

BTW....yes, my winter home is in the Jockey Club. And I find your attitude towards anyone who lives in a gated or deed restricted community demeaning and arrogant. So my home is in a deed restricted community. So what? What does that matter?

And the real estate agent that sold us our home and a neighbor who is also a real estate agent both told us that we could easily double the money we paid for our home. But the wife and I have no intention of selling. We like the town and the people who live there.

The point is....if I felt about the town that I live in the same way you feel about NP I would move, and FAST. I doubt there is ONE good thing you can think of that is poitive about NP, is there?

Believe it or not I hate being argumentive so I will back out and shut up. I simply posted a different point of view that has been posted. A positive point of view that is also held by my full time NP family and neighbors.

You HATE NP and can't think of one good thing about the town. I recognize (already stated) that it has a few warts but like it enough to keep my winter home there. I guess we're at an impasse. And I apologize if I have offended you (or anyone).
Dagoose

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Nov 19, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Oh, and I guess I should explain how I can relate.

When my wife and I first bought our house in Illinois (30 years ago) it was out in the country at the end of a dirt/gravel road. In the last 10 years the roads have been paved (big mistake) and more houses have been built around us than I would ever have imagined. Did I like it? No, I hated it for many of the same reasons you stated. But instead of hating the area I live I just chalked it up to progress and the realization that others have learned what a great area it is to live.
Sea Dog

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Mar 27, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

Dagoose wrote:
Are you saying that NP is the only place with crime and weirdos?
Sooo....why do you continue to live there ToniG, ITHH, and SHF? You guys act as if NP is the worst place in the US to live..
Its getting there and fast.
http://www.mysuncoast.com/news/local/north-po...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Harbour Heights Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Harbour Heights Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Harbour Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Harbour Heights News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Harbour Heights
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••