DeVos family faces chopper hassles

DeVos family faces chopper hassles

There are 28 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Apr 28, 2008, titled DeVos family faces chopper hassles. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Neighbors of Amway co-founder Rich DeVos and his son Dick are taking sides over the helicopters the multimillionaires use to get to their homes near Harbor Springs and Grand Rapids.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mary

Grandville, MI

#1 Apr 28, 2008
Let them drive back and forth to the airport like the rest of us poor folks. I have aeromed and other helicopters go over my house quite regularlly in the summer. shakes and rattles all my windows. Who would want that on a daily basis....

Since: Mar 08

Grand Rapids

#2 Apr 28, 2008
mary wrote:
Let them drive back and forth to the airport like the rest of us poor folks. I have aeromed and other helicopters go over my house quite regularlly in the summer. shakes and rattles all my windows. Who would want that on a daily basis....
ditto. they will probably get what they want, though, because they have an unlimited supply of money from people who believe[d] the Scamway lies and lost a lot of money.
Old Rocker

United States

#3 Apr 28, 2008
I might be mistaken, but I thought that Ada had already vetoed Devos's plan to build a heliport near his home.

There are lots of millionaires in Harbor Springs. If none of them have a heliport, why should it be any different for Devos? I'm sure he can afford a limo driver to take him from the nearest airport to his Harbor Springs estate.
There has been "Old Money" from the old big corporations up there for many generations and I have heard, they haven't accepted Devos's "New Money" yet.
wth

Stevensville, MI

#4 Apr 28, 2008
aawwww poor rich people can't get their way. Boofukunhoo!!!!!!!! I'll bet they are stopping their feet over this one. waaahahhhhh
TCB

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Apr 28, 2008
wth wrote:
aawwww poor rich people can't get their way. Boofukunhoo!!!!!!!! I'll bet they are stopping their feet over this one. waaahahhhhh
I love rich people, I have never worked for a poor one....
wth

Stevensville, MI

#6 Apr 28, 2008
what does that have to do with anything?
TCB

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 Apr 28, 2008
wth wrote:
Read your own quote again...it's obvious you don't have any great feeling for rich people...
Mark

Lovington, NM

#8 Apr 28, 2008
wth wrote:
If you have to ask........
RAB

Ionia, MI

#9 Apr 28, 2008
C'mon, give our next governor a break. After all he's going to need that helicopter to fly around undoing all the mess Granholm has put us in the last several years. Just wait, you'll see in a couple of years we're going to be welcoming Dick Devos and all the helicopters he wants.
Old Rocker

Grand Rapids, MI

#10 Apr 28, 2008
Be careful what you wish for. If Dick Devos is elected governor, he won't be governor, Betsy will. Everyone knows she wears the pants in that family.
strong woman

Hudsonville, MI

#11 Apr 28, 2008
Wish I had the Devos' problems.
Ryan

Traverse City, MI

#12 Apr 28, 2008
Old Rocker wrote:
Be careful what you wish for. If Dick Devos is elected governor, he won't be governor, Betsy will. Everyone knows she wears the pants in that family.
Yea, just like Bush isn't really president. Everyone knows that Dick Cheney is the brain of the White House.

Since: Mar 08

Grand Rapids

#13 Apr 28, 2008
devos as governor? devos is just 2 letters away from devil. would anything be any better (besides government investing in more pyramid schemes)? as a social worker, I cannot tolerate someone so ignorant that the solution for health care is to get a job. many of the uninsured work at least one job.

“Information doesn't kill you.”

Since: Apr 08

Colorado Springs, CO

#14 Apr 28, 2008
RAB wrote:
C'mon, give our next governor a break. After all he's going to need that helicopter to fly around undoing all the mess Granholm has put us in the last several years. Just wait, you'll see in a couple of years we're going to be welcoming Dick Devos and all the helicopters he wants.
And I'll be out of a job, their will cease to be a separation of church and state, and he would likely be recalled.

Fortunately their are enough people in this state that are able to see the fact that though he is his father's son, the apple fell quite a distance from the tree, therefore the scenario that you suggest will not come to fruition. He wouldn't even be able to beat Geoffrey Fieger. Just because so many in West Michigan may think that he is god incarnate, don't fool yourself into thinking the rest of the state buys into him.
Edward

AOL

#15 Apr 28, 2008
GR Teacher wrote:
<quoted text> He wouldn't even be able to beat Geoffrey Fieger. Just because so many in West Michigan may think that he is god incarnate, don't fool yourself into thinking the rest of the state buys into him.
Dont be so sure of yourself. If he runs next time, his power will let him win.
Old Rocker

United States

#16 Apr 29, 2008
GR Social Worker wrote:
devos as governor? devos is just 2 letters away from devil. would anything be any better (besides government investing in more pyramid schemes)? as a social worker, I cannot tolerate someone so ignorant that the solution for health care is to get a job. many of the uninsured work at least one job.
Bingo
RAB

Ionia, MI

#17 Apr 29, 2008
Sorry, didn't realize everyone was so happy with the condition our state is in and the awesome job Granholm has done to run us down the tubes. Please vote for her again next time and enjoy the final act of our state being flushed down the toilet by her. Governing a state is the same as running a business. Work within a budget, take care of your customers (in this case residents/taxpayers), grow the business/state. Granholm will never get there, a successful business peson will.
no way neighbor

Grand Rapids, MI

#18 Apr 29, 2008
I live 2 blocks from Dick and Betsy. No way do I (or my neighbors) want this to go through. I can't imagine the noise that this would create, especially if my 2 year old was sleeping! No thanks Dick!
haha

Middleville, MI

#19 Apr 30, 2008
I'll preface this comment with the fact I really don't like the man or his politics. While his family has been generous with support of the greater GR area, I suspect it is done for tax benefits and positive PR over anything else. Now that's out of the way...Who is to say how he travels to work/vacation? As long as it is approved by the FAA (regulates aviation industry) he should be allowed to use his helocopter to go to work or vacation. As for the noise, I'm sure it is just as annoying as the three people who have Harley's on my street, and every night they like to rev them up while drinking beers in the garage. Just as annoying as the guy across the street with no exhaust on his car who leaves for work at 1am. Just as annoying as the construction worker who live behind me with the straight pipes for exhaust on his Chevy truck. Just as annoying as the teens/young adults with their performance exhaust systems and reedunkulous sound systems in their cars. In almost all of these cases, it is annoying for a short time, then it goes away. If the helocopter is Dick's choice, he has the freedom to make that choice. I can't control what my neighbors drive or do, so the other rich people shouldn't be able to control what Dick drives. It's the American way. Now watch out while I back my tank out of my driveway!)
TCB

Grand Rapids, MI

#20 Apr 30, 2008
GR Social Worker wrote:
Statistics please???? That many of the uninsured work one job. I am curious of the facts to support that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harbor Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
6 year old found dead 26 years later Sep '17 Frosty 1
Hillman murders Sep '17 Test 2
Spay and neuter clinic Aug '17 Brandi 2
House Fire Jul '17 Noisy Neighbor 1
News Gaylord Diocese to celebrate 40th anniversary (Sep '11) Sep '13 someone who cares 5
looking for a lost person (Jul '13) Jul '13 Angel 1
Jeremy Jones owner of [email protected] Garage Door (Feb '11) Oct '12 Phil Hoffman 8

Harbor Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harbor Springs Mortgages