Ex-Torrance city workers plead guilty in theft case

Full story: Daily Breeze

Four former Torrance parks and recreation employees have pleaded guilty to grand theft for their roles in a scheme that cost the city more than $58,000, prosecutors said Friday.
Comments
1 - 20 of 125 Comments Last updated Feb 1, 2013
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Good

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

Bah-bye! They should have gotten more time, but something is better than nothing.
poker face gaga

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

I hope 58,000 was worth the trouble of not having a job, now. This is pretty funny. They should have gotten hundreds of thousands, and it might have been worth a bit more. 58,000 for 4 guys. Did this start in 1999? 6,000 per year....hahahaha.
Terminator

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

Yes it was Dan Halliday. This is Torrance' way of trying to make this just go away. The people responsible for this know who they are, and know the real truth. Leroy, Gene, and John, sleep well tonite guys, you got away with the real cover up, and you know it...
lmt

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

From this, our children can learn that, in Torrance, crime does pay!
Bob

Glendale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

We all know LA and San Pedro is broke. The unions have already robbed the city blind.
lmt wrote:
From this, our children can learn that, in Torrance, crime does pay!
irritated

South Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

that's great they plead guilty, how "big" of them to do so! But like Terminator said, there are more people responsible as well.
And now, people that work for the city in those related departments are suffering because of all of this. They have all but ruined it for the rest of the emplyoees...thanks guys! And to Dan H, you are now and always have been such a loser and sneak I feel you'll never learn!
sppyswimparent

Stanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

At least they finally are taking responsibility for the crimes they got caught for. Hopefully now that they are felons they won't be allowed to coach kids any longer.
Karen

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

The City of Torrance wanted this to just go away; they all knew what Dan was doing for years!!!! All those in the recreation department knew it as well.
ralph

Aliso Viejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

How ironic that the punishment was community service. As city employees, wasn't that there job? Hopefully now a very long and ugly chapter in youth sports can finally be closed for good. A lot of good people were hurt while a lot of others with bad intentions ran free to intimidate and manipulate.
sppyswimparent

Stanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

sweetdeal wrote:
i think this was fair
and im stoked for them and the last time i checked they do have jobs suckaaaas
I think you will find in life, there will be hidden consequences that we may never know of. Even if they have jobs now, who's to say it won't keep them from rising as high as they could have had they not made these mistakes. I truly hope they have learned from this and can become better people. Now that they have admitted their guilt I can forgive them, but I promise you this stain on their records will follow them.
CityWithAHometow nFeel

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Once the theft is reported to the L.A. County District Attorney's office, any decisions about prosecution, or any "deals", are between the defendants and the D.A.'s office, not with anyone from Torrance city government.
Some More

Inglewood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Karen wrote:
The City of Torrance wanted this to just go away; they all knew what Dan was doing for years!!!! All those in the recreation department knew it as well.
Yes, full time and many part time staff knew things were going on at the pool--especially with the sppy swimmers on staff.
Elffon

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

These idiots are very bad. Dan H was and is still a loser. They should have all received prison time. Thiefs is what they are.
sue

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

I hope none of these people will be collecting a pension as a result of this.
sweetdeal

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

well ..duh. but they have a hopefully long life ahead of them and i wish them ALL the BEST
sppyswimparent wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you will find in life, there will be hidden consequences that we may never know of. Even if they have jobs now, who's to say it won't keep them from rising as high as they could have had they not made these mistakes. I truly hope they have learned from this and can become better people. Now that they have admitted their guilt I can forgive them, but I promise you this stain on their records will follow them.
Some More

Inglewood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

Denise Nix---Don't you think if people 'call and e-mail, call and e-mail, then call and e-mail some more (as you said) that they think the citizens of Torrance want to know what is going on regarding the '4 ex employees' not just be told it was a preliminary hearing (about Aug 24th)and you would write something when there is something to write.
It is not too late to fill in more details.
swimmer

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

I'm going to agree with 'sweetdeal' here - this was a very fair punishment for the crime.

but let's just step back and think about this for a second... they 'stole' 58,000 dollars over a long stretch of time to split between 4 people... a real get rich quick scheme alright... the bureaucracy that is our government considers this chump change and throws it down the drain. its not like these guys were bernie madoff or AIG; they're not life ruiners. sure what they did was wrong, but everyone makes mistakes.

i personally swam for Jeffrey Klotz and always have and always will have respect him. He changed the lives of countless swimmers, which I'm not sure that some of the parents could fully comprehend. He was and is a good person who I unfortunately I can no longer swim for because of the SPPY scandal.

Anyway, sure maybe i'm biased, but this is my perspective from having swam for him for a few years. And i know im not the only one with this view.
Conservative

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

What a bunch of lame, petty criminals.Great jobs to have and this is what they do.I hope that these guys like washing cars and flipping burgers for a living because with theft records that's all they will be able to get..Torrance needs to look further and they will probably uncover more thefts if this is how they run their city with no oversight in the payroll department.
Conservative

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

swimmer wrote:
I'm going to agree with 'sweetdeal' here - this was a very fair punishment for the crime.
but let's just step back and think about this for a second... they 'stole' 58,000 dollars over a long stretch of time to split between 4 people... a real get rich quick scheme alright... the bureaucracy that is our government considers this chump change and throws it down the drain. its not like these guys were bernie madoff or AIG; they're not life ruiners. sure what they did was wrong, but everyone makes mistakes.
i personally swam for Jeffrey Klotz and always have and always will have respect him. He changed the lives of countless swimmers, which I'm not sure that some of the parents could fully comprehend. He was and is a good person who I unfortunately I can no longer swim for because of the SPPY scandal.
Anyway, sure maybe i'm biased, but this is my perspective from having swam for him for a few years. And i know im not the only one with this view.
He is a theif of taxpayers money which makes him a bad guy.
swimmer

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

Conservative wrote:
What a bunch of lame, petty criminals.Great jobs to have and this is what they do.I hope that these guys like washing cars and flipping burgers for a living because with theft records that's all they will be able to get..Torrance needs to look further and they will probably uncover more thefts if this is how they run their city with no oversight in the payroll department.
Actually i personally know where some of them are working and they seem to be doing just fine. Two of them have fairly stable coaching jobs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Harbor-City News Video

•••
Harbor-City Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Harbor-City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••