Alan Carter

Phoenix, AZ

#2469 Jan 17, 2013
Mike Hinton wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Alan,
The name CWO Posey sounded familiar so I checked with my friend and former co-worker Ray Turgeon. He remembered Posey but you had left before he got to St. Andre in Feb. If you haven't seen it yet, there is a great website http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm... has many photos of the base and the village. Even though we weren't there at the same time, it's good to hear from someone that was stationed there.
Mike
As a matter of fact I found that site a few days ago. If you look at the photo of Monsieur Koch's retirement dinner, CWO Posey is the fourth from the right with his right hand on his chin. I spent many hours in the photo lab, and M.Koch organized a bus trip to Omaha Beach at one time.
Walt Bollech

Dover, DE

#2470 Jan 18, 2013
Still hoping to hear from anyone ( US Army-French civilian ) who worked at Camp des Loges's post signal company ( 275/257 th Signal ) during the early 60's. I was there from Jan 62-May 64.

Walt Bollech
(wtbolmira@aol.com)
Tony Lopez

York Springs, PA

#2471 Jan 18, 2013
Bob Gaudio wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Tony,
I was in the area a little later, 1965-67. I was TDY several times to the USEUCOM Com Center at CDL (Camp Des Loges) as a Tech Controller. I knew Tom Flora from Saran Tech Control. We did Paris a couple of times and I saw him once after we both got out. He lived in Northern Indiana about 44 years ago. I live in the greater Kalamazoo, MI area, and must be close to your friend George Canales.
Bob
Bob,

sorry I took so long to respond. I was stationed in Saran as I said from 1958 to 1960, Am trying to find anyone who know an SP/4 Pam Paige who also was stationed in Saran.

Tony
Anonymous

AOL

#2472 Jan 18, 2013
Philippe wrote:
I'm looking for American citizens who have lived in military bases in France up to the sixties. I'd like to listen to their memories, possibly see some old pics. If I can get in touch with a sufficent amount of persons, I'd like to write a book about these specific circunstances.
Looking forward to hear from you
Sincerely,
Philippe
Bonjour Philippe,I lived in France from 1962 until 1965, I was 7 when we arrived and 10 yrs old when we came home. We were not military altho my father worked with them, so I went to "an ecole francais qui s'appelle Pierre Marie Curie" and it would have had to be near La Celle St Cloud since that where we lived and were within walking distance. I became so fluent in french that it is what I spoke 2/3's of the time and was told I spoke it so well that no one knew I wasn't french.
I greatly enjoyed my time there, and was so impressed by the educational system there. When we came home I couldn't believe how much time the American children my age spent sitting around watching television. There were NO language classes avail until grade 8! We got to visit so many castles in France during our time there-Versailles, Carcassonne, Fountainebleu, Chantilles to name a few, and also so many countries. People in this country have no idea how much they take for granted here, and I often tell them so. Can you believe that when I attended french school we wrote with pens that had to be dipped into inkwells in our desks (les stylos), and I still have some of my "cahiers" that I did my work in. My father is now 94 and recently had a stroke, so I doubt he will remember specific places' names. One posting I read mentioned a swimming pool spot called "La Plage" that you had to cross over a river maybe (?) in a small boat to access. I remember we went there with alot of other children, not just American either. I have no pics of that place.
I hope your project and info gathering went well. I only just recently took a chance and googled La Celle St Cloud, and the apt name we lived in and came upon this site and your posting. Wish I'd seen it sooner.
bonne chance Philippe! I will check this site occasionally to see if any new postings show up. Au Revoir......Patricia
Gene Walsh

Eatontown, NJ

#2473 Jan 19, 2013
The first post by Phillippe is dated March 2007.If he published anything on the topic, he hasn't informed us via this message board. I'm still waiting for Frawley's book. At least he checks in now and again.
Tina Sears

Savannah, GA

#2474 Jan 20, 2013
Al Boka wrote:
<quoted text>I was stationed at Orly field from Dec. 1957 until Dec. 1961. I workedin the operations building nearby the flight line and was assigned to the 7370th Flight Service Sqd. I returned again to France in June 1965 to Chateauroux but, alas, had to leave for High Wycombe, England just a bit over one year later when Charles DeGaulle booted the US Forces. I have been back several times and Paris was and remains my favorite place on earth. Jon "Al" Boka.
My father, Sam Wheeler, was in flight services at Orly from 1960 to 1962 when he was transferred to Chateauroux. I wish I knew which squadron he was in. Many happy days spent in France.
Richard

Fort Walton Beach, FL

#2475 Jan 22, 2013
Philippe wrote:
I'm looking for American citizens who have lived in military bases in France up to the sixties. I'd like to listen to their memories, possibly see some old pics. If I can get in touch with a sufficent amount of persons, I'd like to write a book about these specific circunstances.
Looking forward to hear from you
Sincerely,
Philippe
My Father was stationed at Camp de loges in the early 60's. We lived on "the economy", in an old, massive home owned by a French famliy in Triel.We were part of the unit that had to turn the base over to the French & relocate to Stuttgart, Germany...

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#2476 Jan 22, 2013
Richard wrote:
<quoted text> My Father was stationed at Camp de loges in the early 60's. We lived on "the economy", in an old, massive home owned by a French famliy in Triel.We were part of the unit that had to turn the base over to the French & relocate to Stuttgart, Germany...
Richard, when exactly was your Dad stationed at Camp Des Loges, and what was his rank and name? I was there 1963 to 1966, and at one point lived in a massive house owned by a retired couple who were famous Opera singers,(can't remember their name), but they had an affinity for Americans, and had created an apartment that they rented to GIs. Very nice people, and a way impressive chateau. What did you father do at CDL?
Terry

East Haven, CT

#2477 Jan 24, 2013
Was there from 1961 to 1964 Bob Ballester at the 574th ord.Co Bussac France
jim cornwell

Hollis, NH

#2478 Jan 24, 2013
my dad was stationed in camp bassens in bordeaux from 1956 to 1959.we lived in cenon in american quarters. i went to merrignac air force base for my eighth grade,la rochelle for my ninth, and poitiers for my tenth before coming to fort devens,mass. i am looking for pat and linda walthall whose father was stationed in bussac in these years. any help would be appreciated
jim cornwell i believe

Hollis, NH

#2479 Jan 24, 2013
Hubert Nadeau wrote:
I'm from the 319th Station Hospital,Bussac ,France My e-mail is huco996@myfairpoint.net . Anybody who was at the319th anytime while the Hospital was in France I would like to hear from you. And anyone who was stationed in Bussac also,any unit. We're trying to fine as many people from Bussac as we can,,,,,,,,,,Thanks,,Hubert Nadeau
ibelieve a friend of mine a sgt walthall was in tha unit he lived in cenon american housing near bordeaux. any information would greatly appreciated
Bryan Hackett

Grass Valley, CA

#2480 Jan 26, 2013
Tom Johnson wrote:
Paul,
I'm at fadingshadows40@gmail.com Please identify each picture for us. And send them in jpg.
Tom
Hi Tom, I was at Braconne 1957/58, then Fontenet. I'll try and get on the yahoo site and post some pictures of Braconne. I ordered your book from amazon today.
Bryan Hackett

Grass Valley, CA

#2481 Jan 26, 2013
Gene Crowley wrote:
Hi
I was stationed at Braconne from Nov '58 to Nov '59.
Havent been back but am disappointed to learn the place is in ruins! I was in det C which moved into a new building right behind det A while I was there- worked in Shop 4 magnafluxing gun tubes. Enjoyed reading all of the other posts which brought back so many memories.
Hi Gene, I was in Det C 2nd platoon 1957/58 I was a M-47/48 tank mechanic at shop #2.I'd pull the 90mm tubes and send them over to you.If your still around ,email me at ifishaldy12@gmail.com
You probably remember Charlie Alfrey & Gator ?

Bryan
Tom Johnson

Seymour, TX

#2482 Jan 26, 2013
Bryan Hackett wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Tom, I was at Braconne 1957/58, then Fontenet. I'll try and get on the yahoo site and post some pictures of Braconne. I ordered your book from amazon today.
Glad you joined the Group Bryan. We have lots of pictures, but always want more. Many military Posts are represented on our Group, Army and Air Force, and many MOS. We also have many dependents. The American High School at Poitiers (Camp de Chalon) is also represented. Everyone is welcome.
Martine Dernoncourt

Poitiers, France

#2483 Jan 26, 2013
Do you want to see how Croix-Chapeau is now : army camps in la rochelle france
click to visit/join the yahoo la - rochelle group MOINET
You were born in La Rochelle, France, please get in touch with me so that I could send you the booklet I made about the american presence in Aufredi caserne.
You will see my email address in this topix.
Bonjour from La Rochelle, France.
By the way, what does "TOPIX" mean ?
Daniel Smiechowski

San Diego, CA

#2484 Jan 28, 2013
EllynStNazaire wrote:
My father was stationed at StNazaire/Donges from 1959-1962. We went to school at the American Elementary School in LaBaule les Pins.
The school was really small I haven't found anyone who went there. We came over on the Upshur and landed in Zbremerhavem and what seemed like endless train rides and a change if orders we finally got to St Nazaire. We lived in the Hotel Terminus downtown until we moved to KaBaule... I was 9 when we got there... I remember I could hardly wait until 9th grade do I could go to HS in LaRochelle... I would love to hear from anyone who went to school there or just wants to share stories...
I attended the school in La Baule Les Pins and have returned frequently to visit...sometimes as a triathlete participating in the big triathlon in La Baule..Daniel "Danny" Smiechowski
Nancy

San Antonio, TX

#2485 Jan 28, 2013
Paul aka Stutz Arndt wrote:
My father was stationed at SHAPE Headquarters in Fontainbleau from 1958-1962. I was 8-12 years old when we lived there. My older brother, Bill was three years older than me. My younger brother, Michael was in pre-school in those days. It is the longest that I lived anywhere util I was an adult as my father was in the service and we usually moved a lot. I attended the International School in Fonatinbleau where the language of instruction was French and the US School at Caserne Fontainebleau. We lived in the NATO housing at the edge of town. We lived at 8 Rue De Etats Unis. We lived in an apartment on the 7th floor (8th US). I had a paper/baquette/crossant/wine route delivering all that stuff to people in the four NATO apartment buildings in the morning and afternoon. I have worked in international business for virtually all of my career and have gone back to Fontainebleau several times. Speaking French has been a great career enhancer! I had a job where I was responsible for Europe for 12 years going all over the place. Later, I worked for a French company for five years with a part-time office in Massy-Palaiseau. The old Fontainebleau NATO apartment buildings are abandoned and squatters live in them. I would really like to get in touch with anyone else who was there at that time. Those were the best years of my youth. From the International School, I had a lot of Dutch, Norwegian, British, Canadian and French friends as well as the friends from the US shool. I remember that place like it was yesterday. Both of my parents are still alive and their retirement home is decorated inside like a nice French house.
I also live at 8 Rue Etats Unis. I lived pretty high up and lived on a floor that did not have an elevator. The family across from us was french. They had a son name Didier. I spent a lot of time on the playground between the first two apartments. I was there for 4th-6th grades. I was there about the same time as you. Going to the movies was an activity with friends from school - we would meet there. I loved living in France. My dad was in the Air Force and worked at Shape. I did go back in the early 80's when I was living in Germany. I saw Mr. LeBrun then - he was still working for DODDS.
Vicki Steele-Woodall

El Sobrante, CA

#2486 Jan 28, 2013
Daniel Smiechowski wrote:
<quoted text> I attended the school in La Baule Les Pins and have returned frequently to visit...sometimes as a triathlete participating in the big triathlon in La Baule..Daniel "Danny" Smiechowski
Hi Danny,
I attended the school in La Baule Les Pins for a short time while my father was working at the refinery in Donge from Nov 1960 thru March 1961. When were you there?
Vicki
Eric-John

France

#2487 Jan 29, 2013
Nancy wrote:
<quoted text>
I also live at 8 Rue Etats Unis. I lived pretty high up and lived on a floor that did not have an elevator. The family across from us was french. They had a son name Didier. I spent a lot of time on the playground between the first two apartments. I was there for 4th-6th grades. I was there about the same time as you. Going to the movies was an activity with friends from school - we would meet there. I loved living in France. My dad was in the Air Force and worked at Shape. I did go back in the early 80's when I was living in Germany. I saw Mr. LeBrun then - he was still working for DODDS.
My father John R.G. GUINT US ARMY was in Fontainebleau for the SHAPE then NATO from 1956 to 1967
His Office was previously inside the castle then Caserne LARIBOISIERE and CAMP GUYENMER
We was living downtown at the corner of rue de France and rue Saint Mery
For all families based in Fontainebleau please use this link
to get some pictures and SHAPE and NATO history in this beautifull
city
http://avoneducationdefense.blogspot.fr/2010/...
Sorry It is in french but you will find pictures of USAF band and Camp GUYENMER main gate and much more
Best regards
Brgds
Jean-Pierre MERCIER

Bordeaux, France

#2488 Jan 29, 2013
Do you know Robert (BOB) GIBBS??? he was in camp Bussac Forest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harbor-City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Black Who Beat White Girlfriend's Skull with Ha... (May '13) 6 hr the Truth 4
Latinos Running Blacks Straight Outta Compton (Jan '13) 10 hr jcc333 120
Spain hands out $3B in planet's biggest lottery 12 hr Lee 1
Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts Hel... Sun Sandra 1
Review: CAP Tactical Firearms Sun PPC6MM 1
3 arrested over towing (Jun '08) Sun gwen 150
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sun Bently 19,559

Harbor-City News Video

Harbor-City Dating
Find my Match