dogs at large law

Posted in the Hanover Forum

dogsatlargelaw

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Oct 13, 2009
I am writing in hope that I can obtain enough interest in reference to the Hanover County law pertaining to dogs running at large. I was and remain appalled that if you live in an area zoned agricultural dogs may run at large every month except April, May and June when the statewide leash law is in effect. We have fowl and livestock and I like to horseback ride as well. When I want to ride on someones property, I go and obtain permission to do so. This is how it should be. Property owners pay for their property and warrant the right to say whom may utilize it. I personally enjoy seeing the wildlife on my property and believe as a property owner if someone wants to run dogs or hunt that they should have to obtain the permission from the property owner to do so. I have asked one hunter on several occasions to "please" not run dogs on my property as we have fowl and other animals. He continues to do so however, in spite of my repeated attempts of asking him otherwise (He says "because he can"). It is my property is it not? Please don't get me wrong, I do not have anything against hunters. I just think they should have to obtain permission to run dogs on the properties they wish to utilize. Some have said dogs will run where they want and it can not be controlled as they will go from one property to the next. The solution to this seems simple to me. Permission to utilize with an acreage minimum requirement and the hunter must continually track (by their collar tracking) during the released time that way they will know where their dogs are and avoid the straying onto adjoining properties. The aforementioned hunter in this letter turns his dogs loose and they wind up on mine and neighboring properties keeping us up all night with their barking and howling while he is home sleeping. Not to mention chasing our fowl and pets and running through carefully planted flowerbeds and vegetable gardens. I do not have any concern with the horseback riding fox hunters or the bird dog hunters as they obtain permission to utilize the properties they hunt while remaining with their dogs during hunting and, during their off season, walk their dogs for exercise. I have started a petition in an effort to change the law. An overwhelming amount have been happy to sign it. With the majority thanking me for doing it. Since the county is so large however, I will not be able to cover every house that may want to have their signature and address added to the list. For this purpose, I have set up an e-mail address where I may be contacted if they would like to add their name to the petition (dogsatlargelaw@gmail.com). Thank you for your consideration and I hope you will find a place on your website for the information I have provided.
Sincerely,
dogsatlargelaw@gmail.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Thornburg Auto & Truck Repair Mon gary 1
Kelci Filback (Nov '11) Oct 15 Thats right 6
Ashland business leader faces 9 sex charges (Sep '13) Aug '14 next generation 4
3rd man sentenced in theft of Va. Guard equipme... (May '12) Aug '14 firsthandknowledge 13
Review: Romp n' Roll Jul '14 Anonymous 1
Power Abuse Jun '14 Howard Kang 4
Review: Dominion Equipment Parts, LLC Jun '14 dominionrichmond 1
Hanover Dating
Find my Match

Hanover Jobs

Hanover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hanover News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hanover

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]