Woman Viciously Attacked by Two Dogs ...

Woman Viciously Attacked by Two Dogs in Hanover - wtvr

There are 73 comments on the WTVR story from Dec 4, 2009, titled Woman Viciously Attacked by Two Dogs in Hanover - wtvr. In it, WTVR reports that:

"It was horrible, the two dogs just mauled this woman horribly," said Hanover County resident Katherine Lewis.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVR.

kim

Manassas, VA

#42 Dec 6, 2009
Rational - your car is parked in your driveway, it is perfectly ok if I just come in your yard in set in it, I unlocked it!
Jade

Chester, VA

#43 Dec 6, 2009
kim wrote:
<quoted text>
The two prior incidents were with a different dog, therefore who should really shut up? I am sure you have never had anything happen to you beyond your control! Judge not or stand to be judged.
Wow, they're more irresponsible than I ever imagined. That in itself is very telling of the type of people of which we're speaking.
Jade

Chester, VA

#44 Dec 6, 2009
kim wrote:
Rational - your car is parked in your driveway, it is perfectly ok if I just come in your yard in set in it, I unlocked it!
WTH - English Please
Shedding Light

Duluth, GA

#45 Dec 6, 2009
OOOOOOOOOH, So there's a history of this woman having vicious dogs who've attacked and bitten before? Thanks, "FRIEND". You've just "helped" your friend out tremendously. And "jealious"??????
Are you okay?
Shedding Light

Duluth, GA

#46 Dec 6, 2009
I meant to say OTHER vicious dogs.
Kim

Manassas, VA

#47 Dec 6, 2009
Jade wrote:
<quoted text> WTH - English Please
I will send up a special prayer for you!!!!!!!!!!
Kim

Manassas, VA

#48 Dec 6, 2009
Shedding Light wrote:
OOOOOOOOOH, So there's a history of this woman having vicious dogs who've attacked and bitten before? Thanks, "FRIEND". You've just "helped" your friend out tremendously. And "jealious"??????
Are you okay?
Did you stop to help?
Shedding Light

Duluth, GA

#49 Dec 6, 2009
Kim wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you stop to help?
YES.
Friend of the Owner

Jonesborough, TN

#50 Dec 6, 2009
To "Shedding Light", If you were a passer by, why didn't you stop & help? Was it you that was on t.v. that got of your car & provided help? If so, Thanks! If not, You don't know the whole story. Yes, she sustained injuries, but not due to the dogs. It was due to her throwing herself down to distract the dogs and to help the victim. She did not get hurt by the dogs. It is not my place or yours to comment on previous incidents. Were you there when those happened? You seem to have all the details, let's hear it. Tell the whole story, no, its not for me to do. Or you for that matter! To "Jade", if you read my comment, I did not defend the breed of the dog. She is not an irresponsible person. The cost of her services does not determine the quality of her care she has provided to her clients. If the dogs were an issue, I am sure the department of social services would have made her get rid of them while providing care. They were there, so I guess no rules were broken. Are we to blame them? Like I stated, the bottom line is someone was severely injured physically. And someone was injured spiritually due to the fact that someone was hurt on her property. The dogs were not breed for "fighting" or any other reason. The owner is not that type of person. It is a very unfortunate turn of events that has occurred, but once again we can't judge anyone. Not the victim nor the owner. No business is perfect. No business owner is perfect. NOBODY IS PERFECT!!!
Sue

Chester, VA

#51 Dec 7, 2009
Friend of the Owner wrote:
To "Shedding Light", If you were a passer by, why didn't you stop & help? Was it you that was on t.v. that got of your car & provided help? If so, Thanks! If not, You don't know the whole story. Yes, she sustained injuries, but not due to the dogs. It was due to her throwing herself down to distract the dogs and to help the victim. She did not get hurt by the dogs. It is not my place or yours to comment on previous incidents. Were you there when those happened? You seem to have all the details, let's hear it. Tell the whole story, no, its not for me to do. Or you for that matter! To "Jade", if you read my comment, I did not defend the breed of the dog. She is not an irresponsible person. The cost of her services does not determine the quality of her care she has provided to her clients. If the dogs were an issue, I am sure the department of social services would have made her get rid of them while providing care. They were there, so I guess no rules were broken. Are we to blame them? Like I stated, the bottom line is someone was severely injured physically. And someone was injured spiritually due to the fact that someone was hurt on her property. The dogs were not breed for "fighting" or any other reason. The owner is not that type of person. It is a very unfortunate turn of events that has occurred, but once again we can't judge anyone. Not the victim nor the owner. No business is perfect. No business owner is perfect. NOBODY IS PERFECT!!!
You're very right...noone is perfect and we all make mistakes. BUT this was just poor judgment. The woman had previous problems with dogs whether they were the same or not. She also operated a daycare with children in/out of the home. This environment is begging for trouble and got it. I'm sure Hanover will do a lengthy investigation on this one. The lady will be involved in a legal dispute and she better hope she has good insurance - she's going to need it.
Sue

Chester, VA

#52 Dec 7, 2009
Kim wrote:
<quoted text>
I will send up a special prayer for you!!!!!!!!!!
Kim, what's with the prayer stuff? I didn't realize this is a prayer board. If it is, perhaps you should direct your prayers to the poor lady who was so brutally mauled.
Guy

Mechanicsville, VA

#53 Dec 7, 2009
Pit Bull is not a specific breed, but a term used to describe several breeds of dog. In jurisdictions which have banned specific breeds of dogs, the term "pit bull" refers to members of the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Bulldog, and Bull Terrier, and dogs with significant mixes of these breeds (some legislation refers to these as "pit bull type" dogs).

The owner stated that the dogs in question were American Bulldogs, so to say they were not a pit bull is a bit disingenuous.

Owners of pit bull type dogs always say they are kind, lovable pets, who "wouldn't hurt a fly," but the fact is that pit bull type dogs are responsible for over half of the dog bite fatalities in the US every year.

These dogs were originally bred for the "sport" of bull-baiting, killing vermin, or to fight other dogs. Plenty of these dogs may lead a perfectly docile life as a family pet, but their instinctive behaviors can sometimes manifest themselves in unfortunate events such as this one.

I can't imagine anyone willing to entrust their child to this person after this, even if the state renews her license.
Honeymom

United States

#54 Dec 7, 2009
Did everyone miss the part where this is a home running a daycare. What are vicious dogs doing at a daycare. What if this had been a child. Who cares what breed of dog this is. They are VICIOUS dogs. Guard dogs 'alert' for danger not attack. Was this a mom of a child. Too many unanswered questions. Something is wrong with this picture.
Sharon G

United States

#55 Dec 7, 2009
I work for an insuarance company that offers insurance to licensed child cares and I can assure you, the daycare owners insurance company, is probably not aware of the type of dogs she has and will surely probably loose her insurance for this incident. The risk is too great. As far as the breed of dog, I have seen well mannered labs go into attack mode. Even though I am not a 'fan' of the pit bull type dogs, I do have a friend that owns one and she is the sweetest dog you ever want to meet. It all goes back to the owner. If you teach them to be mean or dangerous, then they will be that way, regardless of the dog!!! I think we just need tighter restrictions on WHO can own dogs and the more aggressive breeds. I'm sorry for the lady and the owners. This is just a nightmare for all. My prayers are with them all.
Turner

Eastville, VA

#56 Dec 7, 2009
I just can wait to hear all the details come out! I just feel there is more to this story on both sides.

Since: Dec 09

Richmond, VA

#58 Dec 7, 2009
Rhonda Sims wrote:
<quoted text>
YOUR A CROCK,U TELL ME ONE NATIONAL STORY ANYWHERE ON THE NEWS THAT SAYS A COLLIE MAULED A CHILD,HOW ABOUT A GOLDEN RETRIEVER?.....SO,SEE U AND SO MANY OTHER DUMB HOMEOWNERS WITH KIDS BUY THESE DOGS ARE PUTTING YOUR CHILD AT RISK,U WATCH THAT DOG WILL TURN ON YOUR CHILD,I PRAY IT DOESNT BUT IF IT DOES,DONT SAY WE DIDNT WARN YOU,THOSER DOGS ARE KNOWN TO ATTACK WITHOUT EVER BEING PROVOKED,U KEEP BELEIVING THAT AND ONE DAY U WILL WISEN UP,THAT POOR LADY NEVER HAD A SHOT WITH THOSE DOGS AND YET PEOPLE WANNA SAY IT ISNT THAT BREED,BS.....U ARE JUST AS BAD AS THE REST OF SOCIETY
First of all you dont know me so watch your mouth.....Second of all I use to work in a medical center where we see all types of dog bites but it's not news if someone reads that a labrador or a chow chow bit somebody....It's only news STEREOTYPING.....the same way they do with people....But anyways I will watch my kids not that I needing you to tell me that.....
Kate

Morrow, OH

#59 Dec 11, 2009
VCUstud wrote:
<quoted text>
As a pitbull owner who's dog could not hurt a fly, I feel empathy towards people such as yourself who are naive enough to believe every pitbull is a vicious dog that wants to eat you. While I understand the profiling of this breed, it comes down to the owner of the animal behaves. Pitbulls are a powerful breed and with negative reinforcement from their owners they can become dangerous, just as any other breed can. I feel bad for the person hurt as it is sad to hear of these unfortunate incidents. But please don't blame the breed for the negligence and irresponsibly of the animals owner, who are solely responsible for these attacks. I am personally tired of hatred towards a breed from people who only hear about the negative press against pits and don't actually know any. I do wish the best for the person attacked and hope she recovers completely.
IT IS NOT HOW THEY ARE RAISED that determines if they will attack!!
It can contribute, but in cases over and over, they have been loving dogs until they've killed someone. Why should we give these dogs the first chance? They are not naturally evolved to this visciousness. A domesticated wolf is much more trustworthy than these pit-bulls bread for fighting. The AKC show ring has different lines of these dogs that are not bred for fighting, but I still would never have one.

Just one example was of a very loving gentle lady in England last year, who raised two from very young puppies on. There were witnesses on a daily basis who marveled at the loving care she gave them which included cooking for them. As she handed them her homemade treats one afternoon they attacked and killed her.

These people who defend owning this breed may really believe they will not cause harm until it happens in their own family.

Now, were even supposed to be politically correct to this danger. The article writer Don Brock doesn't even make a reference to them being pit-bulls.
Kate

South Lebanon, OH

#60 Dec 11, 2009
Sharon G wrote:
I work for an insuarance company that offers insurance to licensed child cares and I can assure you, the daycare owners insurance company, is probably not aware of the type of dogs she has and will surely probably loose her insurance for this incident. The risk is too great. As far as the breed of dog, I have seen well mannered labs go into attack mode. Even though I am not a 'fan' of the pit bull type dogs, I do have a friend that owns one and she is the sweetest dog you ever want to meet. It all goes back to the owner. If you teach them to be mean or dangerous, then they will be that way, regardless of the dog!!! I think we just need tighter restrictions on WHO can own dogs and the more aggressive breeds. I'm sorry for the lady and the owners. This is just a nightmare for all. My prayers are with them all.
YOU ARE BELIEVING A MYTH! It simply isn't true, and a lot of innocent people including myself, truly are suffering the consequences of being victimized by these dogs and their clueless owners.
blackangel

Alexandria, VA

#61 Jan 27, 2010
now boy oh boy, i'm sitting at my desk enjoying the comments, there is nothing funny about the attack, but its hillarious hearing the different feed back... i must say you told SUE!!!!(lmao)
Levi wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see now, some of these people are dangerous.
Fatty Arbuckle, wow,, you need to read up on this guy (the woman with a coke bottle. and she be dead).
50 cent kills people with very bad muzak
Jan Michael Vincent..an out and out drunk..didn't he do time for beating a woman?
Mary

Chester, VA

#62 Jan 27, 2010
Sue wrote:
I know of no people in my socio eco group that would own a pit
The ones who constantly defend the breed are equally as dangerous
What socio eco group do you belong to??????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grant League (Feb '13) Aug 20 callout 5
What Happened To New Girl Post Aug 15 Allen 12
For sale today only!! Vanilla Lean Builder Rock... Aug 15 Dra Polo 2
Prison Officers Alone Jul 31 Prison Officers A... 1
Grotto Jul '17 Lucky 93 1
Little Tangents - Worst Band EVER!!!! Jul '17 Wendy Parker 1
Amy spears Jun '17 Karmaisapuss 1

Hanover Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance