Woman Viciously Attacked by Two Dogs in Hanover - wtvr

Full story: WTVR

"It was horrible, the two dogs just mauled this woman horribly," said Hanover County resident Katherine Lewis.
Comments
21 - 40 of 73 Comments Last updated Jan 29, 2010
Rhonda Sims

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Judged:

Rhonda Sims wrote:
<quoted text>
YOUR A CROCK,U TELL ME ONE NATIONAL STORY ANYWHERE ON THE NEWS THAT SAYS A COLLIE MAULED A CHILD,HOW ABOUT A GOLDEN RETRIEVER?.....SO,SEE U AND SO MANY OTHER DUMB HOMEOWNERS WITH KIDS BUY THESE DOGS ARE PUTTING YOUR CHILD AT RISK,U WATCH THAT DOG WILL TURN ON YOUR CHILD,I PRAY IT DOESNT BUT IF IT DOES,DONT SAY WE DIDNT WARN YOU,THOSER DOGS ARE KNOWN TO ATTACK WITHOUT EVER BEING PROVOKED,U KEEP BELEIVING THAT AND ONE DAY U WILL WISEN UP,THAT POOR LADY NEVER HAD A SHOT WITH THOSE DOGS AND YET PEOPLE WANNA SAY IT ISNT THAT BREED,BS.....U ARE JUST AS BAD AS THE REST OF SOCIETY
OH,AND ONE MORE THING,U TELL US TO GET A CAT CAUSE ALL DOGS BITE RIGHT?.THEN WHY HAVE A DOG THEN IF U HAVE KIDS?.MAKE SENSE TO YOU?.......U NEED A CAT THEN
kim

Mauldin, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

candy never lies it is sweet and bad for your teeth she tells the truth!!!!!
Jade

Chester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Judged:

Another problem with these pitbull loving people. It's okay if they turn on them or their families. They should have known better than to have one. BUT the problem is when they are running loose, escape from enclosed yard or owners have no idea how to restrain them. They are a nuisance to society and should be banned from our communities.
Doug

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Judged:

Ban those evil 4 Wheelers that cause Injuries and Deaths to Kids and People.
Ban those Swimming Pools that are located in most communities where there are quite a few injuries and deaths to both Adults and Kids in the U.S.
We all should know better to have those also.
Buy your kid a Trampoline and does anybody want to know how many injuries are caused by those.
We are should know better to have these because Accidents happen.
Now let me go out and put on my SF 30 because I got out in the SNOWSTORM today so I am protected against Skin Cancer.
Mia

Glen Allen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Judged:

I find it hard to believe that most of these posts are about the dogs; what about the victim people? Seriously, mos tof you have to check your humanity...y'all gawk at vehicle crashes too don't you?
Flash

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

In your hands.
&fe ature=player_embedded
Kathlyn

Griffin, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Judged:

Am I to understand there is a daycare at this house? What is to stop the children or parents picking up children from being attacked in the same manner?
Tina johnson

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Judged:

To all these people haten on these american bull dogs I know first hand that these dogs would not hurt a child. My granddaughter that ive had sence her birth has been going to this daycare since she was a year old and has played with these dogs several times in front of me and i have played with them as well.I truly feel for the woman that they bit but she came into their domain and with this lady running this business i actually felt better leaving my granddaughter daily knowing no one would just walk up and take her out of the fence that also happens lots more than a dog attacking someone. So to all the haters out their you must have never had someone you love so much that you would protect until the ends of time i felt my granddaughter was always safe leaving her their and those dogs were protecting their home and who ever was in it.To better let you understand this situation i owned these bulldogs sister who i later had to adopt out because i was moving,anyway my american bull was very protective of myself and any in my family you had to phone to let me know you were coming because if she didnt know you than you werent getting in my home at all. i never did anything to teach her this the older she got the more protective she got i di the sit thing she would, i did the paw and she would and she would get in her crate for me when spoken to. some dogs just take to protecting their families more serious than others and you dont have to teach them anything they have that instinct.
dan

Glen Allen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Judged:

Pitbull owners calm down already.We have heard youre "my dog wont hurt anyone" story over and over.If this women entered a fenced area that is clearly marked and didnt think to make contact with the owners first she is slow at best.Too bad,tend to your wounds and get over it.If the dogs were anyway hurt you should be sued to pay the bills.This story is not about bull dogs,pits or whatever,its about a stupid human doing a stupid thing.
Abster

Chester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Once again, ignorance is bliss
Annoyed

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Judged:

The lady walked in to a gate that had a sign on it Stating BEWARE OF DOG.....

One day last summer i was in my backyard with my then 3 year old daughter and dog , Two Men (UNKNOWN TO ME) walked in my backyard unannouced. My Dog Stood between My daughter, myself and these men, Growling and Snarling these Idiots started swinging a Pole at my dog claiming i better retrive him before they Kill him. My dog lunged at them they ran to thier truck and called the police... When the officers showed up It was quickly stated that these were city workers there to check the water meter.. had this been brought to my attention when they first arrived I would have gladly placed my dog inside,The officer told these men they were in the wrong for entering a yard where as signs were clearly posted, and they are lucky the dog did not Tear them a new one because they could not have done anything other than write a report... By the way I own a Collie Mix, Who was doing his job of protecting myself and my daughter
Friend of the Owner

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Judged:

First of all, my prayers go out to the victim of this incident. I have never been bitten or mauled by any animal so I can only imagine the pain this woman is going through. To know the owner is to know that she is an animal lover. She is also a lover of people. She is deeply saddened by this situation. She would not have allowed this to just happen. She opened her home up to provide care for children because she has a love for kids. She is a parent herself. She has always made sure that her pets are secured when visitors come to see her. Its not because the pets are dangerous or a threat to anyone, but because she has provided love to these animals that they will show her love in return by protecting her and her child. Now, again by any means is this saying that the incident is "ok" because the young lady came into the yard with a sign that reads "no trepassing" or "beware of dog", but first let me state these facts: 1. The owner is not a friend of the victim. There have only been a few times that these two individuals have been in each others company. 2. The dogs are not pit bulls (again, not trying to justify the incident based on breed). 3. The owner did everything in her power to separate the dogs from the victim. She also sustained injury from doing this. Again, I am not trying to justify anything by this statement. There are two issues here. 1. Someone has been severely injured and did not deserve to have that happen and 2. A woman that has been nothing but a sound provider of day care and an upstanding member of the Ashland community is being judged based on something that she did not have any control of. Please don't judge! Pray for both parties. The owner has a child 10 years of age who is tore up by this situation because she has not only lost her pets, but because things are being said about her mother unfairly. I have a beagle. He is the most docile and loving dog that you could ever ask for! But, I can't underestimate him. We have to remember, all pets, dogs, cats, gerbils whatever we chose are animals. We chose to allow them into our homes as pets. They all have natural instincts. To protect, hunt, etc. So it doesn't matter if its a pit bull, a cocker spaniel, a little chihuahua. It's an animal. Again, please don't judge until every detail has been noted. Pray for both families.
susan

Ruther Glen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Judged:

Rhonda Sims wrote:
<quoted text>
YOUR A CROCK,U TELL ME ONE NATIONAL STORY ANYWHERE ON THE NEWS THAT SAYS A COLLIE MAULED A CHILD,HOW ABOUT A GOLDEN RETRIEVER?.....SO,SEE U AND SO MANY OTHER DUMB HOMEOWNERS WITH KIDS BUY THESE DOGS ARE PUTTING YOUR CHILD AT RISK,U WATCH THAT DOG WILL TURN ON YOUR CHILD,I PRAY IT DOESNT BUT IF IT DOES,DONT SAY WE DIDNT WARN YOU,THOSER DOGS ARE KNOWN TO ATTACK WITHOUT EVER BEING PROVOKED,U KEEP BELEIVING THAT AND ONE DAY U WILL WISEN UP,THAT POOR LADY NEVER HAD A SHOT WITH THOSE DOGS AND YET PEOPLE WANNA SAY IT ISNT THAT BREED,BS.....U ARE JUST AS BAD AS THE REST OF SOCIETY
When I owned my last Rottie ( I have had four and they all have been wonderful) I was checking with my insurance agent and he told me they actually have way more claims from lab owners than Rottie owners, not all of these dogs are bad.
MSH

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Any dog who maims or kills a human is a vicious dog in the state of virginia. This is not an issue of breed.. be it pit-bull, American Bull Dog or poodle. All dogs can bite. However, some types of dogs have a higher prey drive than others. It is the owners responsiblity to handle the animals in such a way that protects the public from harm. I for one will wait to see what the investigation from Hanover Animal Control finds in this case.
Virginia does not descriminate between breeds of dogs. There are good and bad individuals in every breed.
Lets all wait and see what is found in the investigation. Wish the victim in this case our best and keep her in our prayers.
Shedding Light

Glen Allen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2009

Judged:

FACT!!!!!! I was a passer-by and stopped at the scene when this was happening. "FRIEND", you were not there - I WAS. THESE 2 DOGS TURNED ON AND ATTACKED THEIR OWNER!!!!!! The passer by not only rescued the victim, HE RESCUED THE OWNER. You said yourself, FRIEND, that she sustained injuries. Read Saturday's issue of the Richmond Times Dispatch (online Also). There had been 2 previous reports/complaints to authorities of this woman's dogs biting people and THEY PREVIOUSLY TURNED ON HER AND BIT A CHUNK OUT OF HER LEG!!!!
TELL THE WHOLE STORY AND SHUT UP ABOUT WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!
Jade

Chester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2009

Judged:

Friend of the Owner wrote:
First of all, my prayers go out to the victim of this incident. I have never been bitten or mauled by any animal so I can only imagine the pain this woman is going through. To know the owner is to know that she is an animal lover. She is also a lover of people. She is deeply saddened by this situation. She would not have allowed this to just happen. She opened her home up to provide care for children because she has a love for kids. She is a parent herself. She has always made sure that her pets are secured when visitors come to see her. Its not because the pets are dangerous or a threat to anyone, but because she has provided love to these animals that they will show her love in return by protecting her and her child. Now, again by any means is this saying that the incident is "ok" because the young lady came into the yard with a sign that reads "no trepassing" or "beware of dog", but first let me state these facts: 1. The owner is not a friend of the victim. There have only been a few times that these two individuals have been in each others company. 2. The dogs are not pit bulls (again, not trying to justify the incident based on breed). 3. The owner did everything in her power to separate the dogs from the victim. She also sustained injury from doing this. Again, I am not trying to justify anything by this statement. There are two issues here. 1. Someone has been severely injured and did not deserve to have that happen and 2. A woman that has been nothing but a sound provider of day care and an upstanding member of the Ashland community is being judged based on something that she did not have any control of. Please don't judge! Pray for both parties. The owner has a child 10 years of age who is tore up by this situation because she has not only lost her pets, but because things are being said about her mother unfairly. I have a beagle. He is the most docile and loving dog that you could ever ask for! But, I can't underestimate him. We have to remember, all pets, dogs, cats, gerbils whatever we chose are animals. We chose to allow them into our homes as pets. They all have natural instincts. To protect, hunt, etc. So it doesn't matter if its a pit bull, a cocker spaniel, a little chihuahua. It's an animal. Again, please don't judge until every detail has been noted. Pray for both families.
Something leads me to believe she was a pretty irresponsible person - period. She probably offered some really inexpensive daycare that was all some could afford. Noone is their right mind would leave their kids anywhere that there were two large, vicious dogs. HELLLO-if you read RTD or other sites, there had been issues with these dogs in the past. Oh, American Bulldog, Pit, Staffordshire...they were all bred at some point in time for fighting - that's not a valid argument.
Jade

Chester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2009

Judged:

Shedding Light wrote:
FACT!!!!!! I was a passer-by and stopped at the scene when this was happening. "FRIEND", you were not there - I WAS. THESE 2 DOGS TURNED ON AND ATTACKED THEIR OWNER!!!!!! The passer by not only rescued the victim, HE RESCUED THE OWNER. You said yourself, FRIEND, that she sustained injuries. Read Saturday's issue of the Richmond Times Dispatch (online Also). There had been 2 previous reports/complaints to authorities of this woman's dogs biting people and THEY PREVIOUSLY TURNED ON HER AND BIT A CHUNK OUT OF HER LEG!!!!
Thank you. These people want to continually defend this breed of dog. There jaws are overwhelmingly powerful. They are absolutely lethal. Yes, you read of them turning on their owners and killing people everyday. I don't want one anywhere near me or my family. They should be banned from society.
Tsj

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2009

Judged:

Frist of all that woman had no business opening a gate with a be ware of dog sign right their in plain sight on the fence. second you dont know the truth or whole story. this woman doesnt even know the person that lives their. She never anounced she was going by or anything. You need to stop being so high and mighty just because you seen something its not always what it seem like. what did this person do to the dogs? I was just their that morning and played with both of them with out any problem. Stop hating on some one you are jealious of.
kim

Hyattsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2009

Judged:

Shedding Light wrote:
The two prior incidents were with a different dog, therefore who should really shut up? I am sure you have never had anything happen to you beyond your control! Judge not or stand to be judged.
kim

Hyattsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2009

Judged:

Jade wrote:
<quoted text> Something leads me to believe she was a pretty irresponsible person - period. She probably offered some really inexpensive daycare that was all some could afford. Noone is their right mind would leave their kids anywhere that there were two large, vicious dogs. HELLLO-if you read RTD or other sites, there had been issues with these dogs in the past. Oh, American Bulldog, Pit, Staffordshire...they were all bred at some point in time for fighting - that's not a valid argument.
Wow, I can see heaven in your future!!!!!! Way to judge.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ashland business leader faces 9 sex charges (Sep '13) 17 hr next generation 4
3rd man sentenced in theft of Va. Guard equipme... (May '12) Mon firsthandknowledge 13
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Aug 1 Time Flys 2,546
Review: Romp n' Roll Jul '14 Anonymous 1
Power Abuse Jun '14 Howard Kang 4
Review: Dominion Equipment Parts, LLC Jun '14 dominionrichmond 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) May '14 Nitty Gritty 1 1,356

Search the Hanover Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Hanover Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Hanover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Hanover News, Events & Info