Woman Viciously Attacked by Two Dogs in Hanover - wtvr

Full story: WTVR 73
"It was horrible, the two dogs just mauled this woman horribly," said Hanover County resident Katherine Lewis. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
IM WITH YOU

Fort Worth, TX

#1 Dec 4, 2009
Im a very close friend to the person that owns theses dogs. I was at her home earlier that morning and played with both of her dogs. I had not seen these dogs in about 4 months and i had no problems. To all those that want to say any hurtful comments dont read this first. Those dogs were in their own yard with their fence closed and locked. This woman who had only been to their once before but knew the dogs wre thier just showed up without any phone call or nothing. she parked her car next door went to the gate where you can cleary see a beware of dog sign and a no tresspassing sign opened the gate and went in . she knew the dogs were their and loose when the gate is closed so whos at fault here for real? Those dogs were protecting the home and love one in side she came into their yard they were doing their jobs because thats how much they love their family.I feel bad for the person attacked but i am also feeling for the family as well they have lost 2 family members at one time just because they did their jobs.
Abster

Chester, VA

#2 Dec 4, 2009
EVERY SINGLE DAY I read of a pitbull attack. These are vicious animals and each city/county should have an ordinance that prohibits people owning this breed. I walk in a local park everyday. There is a man with two pits - very agressive. He finds it humorous when they see another pet owner/pet coming along. His dogs rear up on their hind legs like they are ready to eat you alive. I don't even get anywhere near the area if I see the man's car. So, once again, we're all held hostage because of these ignorant people. I hope and pray this lady will eventually recover.
Abster

Chester, VA

#3 Dec 4, 2009
Oh, to "I'm with you" - that's not how the account of the attack reads. Secondly, no one needs to have vicious attack dogs as "family members". There are plenty of less vicious dogs around that make fine guard dogs and pets. Give me a break.
VCUstud

Richmond, VA

#4 Dec 4, 2009
Abster wrote:
EVERY SINGLE DAY I read of a pitbull attack. These are vicious animals and each city/county should have an ordinance that prohibits people owning this breed. I walk in a local park everyday. There is a man with two pits - very agressive. He finds it humorous when they see another pet owner/pet coming along. His dogs rear up on their hind legs like they are ready to eat you alive. I don't even get anywhere near the area if I see the man's car. So, once again, we're all held hostage because of these ignorant people. I hope and pray this lady will eventually recover.
As a pitbull owner who's dog could not hurt a fly, I feel empathy towards people such as yourself who are naive enough to believe every pitbull is a vicious dog that wants to eat you. While I understand the profiling of this breed, it comes down to the owner of the animal behaves. Pitbulls are a powerful breed and with negative reinforcement from their owners they can become dangerous, just as any other breed can. I feel bad for the person hurt as it is sad to hear of these unfortunate incidents. But please don't blame the breed for the negligence and irresponsibly of the animals owner, who are solely responsible for these attacks. I am personally tired of hatred towards a breed from people who only hear about the negative press against pits and don't actually know any. I do wish the best for the person attacked and hope she recovers completely.
IM WITH YOU

Fort Worth, TX

#5 Dec 4, 2009
theses dogs are american bull dogs not pit bulls but whats the difference they were doing their jobs and to those pit bull haters maybe you should get to know one before you judge its how you raise them just like how you raise your kids some people are just plain dum
Sue

Chester, VA

#6 Dec 4, 2009
I know of no people in my socio eco group that would own a pit

The ones who constantly defend the breed are equally as dangerous
NY Peach

Jersey City, NJ

#7 Dec 4, 2009
I am a red nose pit bull owner. Whoever is afraid of 1 needs to spend time with one She is very loving and a cuddle bug. There are small dogs that i would not go near. But when i read this article i thought it said that the dogs are american bull dogs. Sooooooooo how did the blame get put on the pit bull. I am sorry for what happened to the lady that got attacked and wish her a speedy recovery. There are pieces missing from this story.
VCUstud

Richmond, VA

#8 Dec 4, 2009
To Sue:

To be completely frank with you, I have no problem with the fact that nobody you know owns one. It's up to an owners discretion as to what type of dog they want. But I'm a little confused as to what "scio eco group" you belong to and what that has to do with owning a pitbull. Are you saying your better than anybody who knows someone that does own one? Also, I'd have to say your among this "naive" group of the population I speak of and your ignorance personally astounds me.
NO2BSL

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Dec 4, 2009
Sue wrote:
Then I guess you consider all the following people dangerous?????

Helen Keller (Pit Bull Named - Stubby)
Anthony Robbins
Molly Price (Actress)
General George Patton
Jan Michael Vincent
Fred Astaire
Stephany Kramer
President Woodrow Wilson
Pink (the singer)
Ashley Olsen
Jan Michael Vincent
Alicia Silverstone
Humphrey Bogart
Ananda Lewis
Linda Blair
John Steinbeck
Fatty Arbuckle
Malcolm - Jamal Warner
Mary Tyler Moore
Steve & Terri Irwin (Pit Bull Named - Sui)
Mo Vaughn (NY Mets)
James Ellroy (Author)
Amy Jo Johnson (Actress)
Jack Johnson (Hawaiian singer)
Sinbad
Barbra Eden
Rosie Perez
Kelli Williams (Actress from The Practice)
AJ Mclean
Rachel Ray (from Food Network)(Pit Bull Named - Isaboo)
Orlando Bloom
James Caan
Shaquille “Shaq” O’Neal
Judd Nelson
Barbara Eden,
Veronica Mars
Walter Scott (Author)
Ken Howard (Father in Crossing Jordon - his Pit Shadow saved his life)
Usher (Singer)
Michael J. Fox
Thomas Edison
Mel Brooks & Anne Brancroft
Julian schnabel
Jessica Alba
John Stuart
Jesse James and (Pit Bull Named - Cisco)
Stephan Jenkins (Singer)
Madonna
Jack Dempsey
Brad Pitt
Theodore Roosevelt
Bernadette Peters
Stephan Jenkins
Tamika Dixon (Athlete)
Singer Rick Springfield
Actor Vin Diesel
Barbra Ede
Cassandra Creech
Sir Walter Scott (Poet)
Shannon Elizabeth
Earl Holliman
David Spade
Robert Ferguson (Green Bay Packer)
John Stewart (from the Daily Show)
Bill Berloni (Broadway show dog trainer who has said that the Pit is the breed of choice for training),
Roy Jones Jr.
Serena Williams
Justin Miller
Cozy Coleman
Veron Haynes
Hugh Douglas
Kamal
Jermaine Dupri
Richard "Rip" Hamilton
50 Cent
Young Buck
Lloyd Banks
Jordan Babineaux
Jonathan Babineaux
Maurice White
Andrew Vachss
Ira Glass
Rosie Perez
Kelli Williams
Judd Nelson
Thomas Edison
Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft
Julian Schnabel
Stephan Jenkins
Jon Stewart
Tamika Dixon
Jade

Chester, VA

#10 Dec 4, 2009
You people can defend these dogs and their owners all you wish. I have seen firsthand the behavior of many of these dogs - pit and american bulls. They are dangerous animals and have no living in residential areas or anywhere there may be children.
Candy

Mauldin, SC

#11 Dec 4, 2009
There is alot missing from the accounts of this story. It is important to remember that just because you read it or hear it doesn't make it true. If that was the case you have never been lied on!?!(Rational- If someone said it it must be true)What if I told you the truth was that the "victim" was not a friend of the home owner and had only been to the home one other time with someone else? What if I told you the gate was closed and locked with the no trespassing sign and the "victim" parked her car next door and walked around the gate reached over and unlocked it and went inside? What if I told you that the dogs were american bulldogs and not pit bulls? What if I told you that the dogs had not biten anyone before or even close? What if I told you the homeowner loved people and animals so much that she threw her body on top of the "victim" to protect her when she heared the commotion in her front driveway? What of I told you the homeowner did not know who the victim was even at that time due to the lack of friendship? One should never judge without running the risk of being judged!!!!!
Jade

Chester, VA

#12 Dec 4, 2009
My guess would be someone is trying hard to spin a very good story - lawsuit coming. Homeowner also probably does not have proper insurance. Most homeowner insurance will not represent homeowners with pits. If they did have them and didn't disclose to insurance company they are out of luck.
Levi

Richmond, VA

#13 Dec 4, 2009
NO2BSL wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I guess you consider all the following people dangerous?????
Helen Keller (Pit Bull Named - Stubby)
Anthony Robbins
Molly Price (Actress)
General George Patton
Jan Michael Vincent
Fred Astaire
Stephany Kramer
President Woodrow Wilson
Pink (the singer)
Ashley Olsen
Jan Michael Vincent
Alicia Silverstone
Humphrey Bogart
Ananda Lewis
Linda Blair
John Steinbeck
Fatty Arbuckle
Malcolm - Jamal Warner
Mary Tyler Moore
Steve & Terri Irwin (Pit Bull Named - Sui)
Mo Vaughn (NY Mets)
James Ellroy (Author)
Amy Jo Johnson (Actress)
Jack Johnson (Hawaiian singer)
Sinbad
Barbra Eden
Rosie Perez
Kelli Williams (Actress from The Practice)
AJ Mclean
Rachel Ray (from Food Network)(Pit Bull Named - Isaboo)
Orlando Bloom
James Caan
Shaquille “Shaq” O’Neal
Judd Nelson
Barbara Eden,
Veronica Mars
Walter Scott (Author)
Ken Howard (Father in Crossing Jordon - his Pit Shadow saved his life)
Usher (Singer)
Michael J. Fox
Thomas Edison
Mel Brooks & Anne Brancroft
Julian schnabel
Jessica Alba
John Stuart
Jesse James and (Pit Bull Named - Cisco)
Stephan Jenkins (Singer)
Madonna
Jack Dempsey
Brad Pitt
Theodore Roosevelt
Bernadette Peters
Stephan Jenkins
Tamika Dixon (Athlete)
Singer Rick Springfield
Actor Vin Diesel
Barbra Ede
Cassandra Creech
Sir Walter Scott (Poet)
Shannon Elizabeth
Earl Holliman
David Spade
Robert Ferguson (Green Bay Packer)
John Stewart (from the Daily Show)
Bill Berloni (Broadway show dog trainer who has said that the Pit is the breed of choice for training),
Roy Jones Jr.
Serena Williams
Justin Miller
Cozy Coleman
Veron Haynes
Hugh Douglas
Kamal
Jermaine Dupri
Richard "Rip" Hamilton
50 Cent
Young Buck
Lloyd Banks
Jordan Babineaux
Jonathan Babineaux
Maurice White
Andrew Vachss
Ira Glass
Rosie Perez
Kelli Williams
Judd Nelson
Thomas Edison
Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft
Julian Schnabel
Stephan Jenkins
Jon Stewart
Tamika Dixon
Lets see now, some of these people are dangerous.
Fatty Arbuckle, wow,, you need to read up on this guy (the woman with a coke bottle. and she be dead).
50 cent kills people with very bad muzak
Jan Michael Vincent..an out and out drunk..didn't he do time for beating a woman?
Debbie

Washington, DC

#14 Dec 4, 2009
Excuse me the dogs were not running loose, they were in the back yard. It is not the dogs fault no matter what breed they were. Give the dogs a break, it is the owners fault if the dogs were running loose but it appears that was not the case. Pit Bulls. Am Bulldogs and other large breeds are only what the owners make them. they are not all bad dogs some are the best companions in the world and are also wonderful with children.
Charles Garrett

Washington, IN

#15 Dec 4, 2009
As a child I was bitten in the face by some kind of bull dog mix breed that belonged to my grand-mom and one of my uncles. They took the animal out into the country and let it go wild which was dumb thing to do. The dog already attacked people. Putting it out where it could become rabid and attack others is not being kind to the dog or anyone else. Animals that bite like that should be shot. I get angry every time I hear of a dog attacking someone. These days it seems folks who keep viscous dogs also use illegal drugs. Normal people don't keep viscous dogs.
Amy

AOL

#16 Dec 5, 2009
While I do feel sorry for both parties... I do as a homeowner know that no matter what I put on my property(ie. no tresspassing signs), if someone gets hurt on my property I am held responsible. With that being said, the women was attacked, yes it doesnt matter what breed of dog did the attacking. But it seems as some people that arer "sticking up" for the owner, didnt read the whole story. Her licesne(spelling its late and I dont want to spell check,lol) states that she is not allowed to allow the children in which she cares for to have contact with dogs.

I once owned a rottie, whom was perfect or atleast I thought she was until she turned one day on my 1 year old son, right in front of my husband and myself. No she didnt mal him, but she did almost take out his right eye when she bit down on his face. We got rid of her very soon after the attack. I took responsiblity for owning the dog, which is what every owner of the "vicous" dogs should do...

When you have a "vicous" dog you must/usually have to caring certain insurance or add a certain amount more onto your medical payout.
Rhonda Sims

Richmond, VA

#17 Dec 5, 2009
Let,me tell you I dont care how u raise a pitbull or any other type of breed that has bull in it,they are dangerous dogs,I know first hand..My friend bought one when she was pregnant and living alone,she wanted to buy one for protection and I warned her not too,well she had her baby and she was always a sweet dog,till the child was 3 and just sitting in the living room and what happens the darn dog mauled that child to death right in front of her,so alll u darn pitbull lovers,you are so wrong.......

You think if u raise them right they wont turn,thats bullcrap,you keep beliving that crock those dogs have that temperment,and when it happens to one of your own dont say we didnt warn you,I think all those types of dogs should be banned from every being sold.........Now,that poor child is dead thanks to a pitbull!!!
Rhonda Sims

Richmond, VA

#18 Dec 5, 2009
Sue wrote:
Sue,u are so right,no matter how u raise those dogs they are known to attack for no reason,especially their own family members.How many times have u read the family pitbull attacked a child,but yet they keep being bought and sold to family with kids,they are dangerous no matter how u raise them

Since: Dec 09

Richmond, VA

#19 Dec 5, 2009
MY 130 POUND PIT BULL SLEPT BESIDE MY CHILD EVERY DAY OF HIS LIFE SINCE HE WAS BORN......THESE DOGS ARE PROTECTORS AND THEIRFORE I DONT KNOW WHAT THE FUSS IS BECAUSE PLENTY OF PEOPLE SUFFER EVERY YEAR FROM OTHER TYPES OF DOGS....U KNOW LIKE CHIWAWAS AND STUFF LIKE THAT...STOP STEREO TYPING PEOPLE.....AND FOR ANY OF U THAT THINK ONLY PIT BULLS BITE......BUY A CAT......BECAUSE ALL DOGS BITE....
Rhonda Sims

Richmond, VA

#20 Dec 5, 2009
babybluez4u wrote:
MY 130 POUND PIT BULL SLEPT BESIDE MY CHILD EVERY DAY OF HIS LIFE SINCE HE WAS BORN......THESE DOGS ARE PROTECTORS AND THEIRFORE I DONT KNOW WHAT THE FUSS IS BECAUSE PLENTY OF PEOPLE SUFFER EVERY YEAR FROM OTHER TYPES OF DOGS....U KNOW LIKE CHIWAWAS AND STUFF LIKE THAT...STOP STEREO TYPING PEOPLE.....AND FOR ANY OF U THAT THINK ONLY PIT BULLS BITE......BUY A CAT......BECAUSE ALL DOGS BITE....
YOUR A CROCK,U TELL ME ONE NATIONAL STORY ANYWHERE ON THE NEWS THAT SAYS A COLLIE MAULED A CHILD,HOW ABOUT A GOLDEN RETRIEVER?.....SO,SEE U AND SO MANY OTHER DUMB HOMEOWNERS WITH KIDS BUY THESE DOGS ARE PUTTING YOUR CHILD AT RISK,U WATCH THAT DOG WILL TURN ON YOUR CHILD,I PRAY IT DOESNT BUT IF IT DOES,DONT SAY WE DIDNT WARN YOU,THOSER DOGS ARE KNOWN TO ATTACK WITHOUT EVER BEING PROVOKED,U KEEP BELEIVING THAT AND ONE DAY U WILL WISEN UP,THAT POOR LADY NEVER HAD A SHOT WITH THOSE DOGS AND YET PEOPLE WANNA SAY IT ISNT THAT BREED,BS.....U ARE JUST AS BAD AS THE REST OF SOCIETY

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Calling all politically minded individuals Dec 17 roseytheriveter 1
need cheap car! Dec 16 roe23510 1
Skip Fischer Nov '14 con buster 1
Review: Thornburg Auto & Truck Repair Oct '14 Thornburg Auto 2
Kelci Filback (Nov '11) Oct '14 Thats right 6
Ashland business leader faces 9 sex charges (Sep '13) Aug '14 next generation 4
3rd man sentenced in theft of Va. Guard equipme... (May '12) Aug '14 firsthandknowledge 13
Hanover Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hanover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hanover News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hanover

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:01 pm PST