Vandals trash Civil War Chapel

Full story: Evening Sun 35
Vandals upset items, including pews and a podium, inside the Civil War Chapel on Chambersburg Street sometime overnight Thursday. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TWS

Hanover, PA

#1 Jul 31, 2010
Sad, so sad that 3 youths, assuming they are youths felt the need to vandalize what I consider a church. How bewildering and betrayed Wega must feel this morning. Partially destroying someones dreams, I just don't get it. These vermin if caught must face swift decisive punishment and NOT 40 hours of community service. Yes, as a Christian we must forgive but there are consequences to ones actions.
marvin brilliant

Palmyra, PA

#3 Jul 31, 2010
The people whi ruined this chapel (probably teenagers)must not only be caught and tried,but be required to do the necessary work to repair the damage they caused.Why do people find it a thrill to desacrate a house of worship? For years, vandals have damaged monuments inside the Gettysburg National Military Park for no apparent reason. I suppose to them, they have nothing better to do. I hope John Wega can reopen the chapel as soon as he can. There is no exuse for this stupid act of vandalism! These perpetrators must be apprehended and suffer the consequences!!
Jean

Holyoke, MA

#6 Jul 31, 2010
My condolances to Mr. Wega on the destruction of his chapel.....Such acts as this are stupid,cruel and totally unforgiveable...as well as being senseless.....To desecrate a "house of worship," is totally unacceptable...Why were these "young" people doing out at that hour anyway.? Where were their parents..???and what were their parents thinking...???...In my book the parents of these young people are just as responsible for the vandalism and should be charged right along with them...They,also should be fined and made to work alongside their children to repair the damage.....Gettysburg is such a sacred place and everyone from the young to the old should recognize this.....after all what happened there those three days in July,1863 played a big part in providing all of us the many freedoms that we enjoy today......To those "young people" who committed this senseless act,do what's right,step up to the plate,admit your guilt and take your punishment,and to the parents of these "young people," start acting like responsible "parents,"and be more aware of where your children are and what they are doing....In other words start acting like,"PARENTS." Hopefully these vandals will be caught and made responsible for their actions.......Shameful,shamefu l actions....
elizabeth

Chambersburg, PA

#7 Jul 31, 2010
"So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him." Isaiah 59:19

The "enemy" may strike, and the storms may come, but our Lord is stronger and mightier that man or his ways...
Estella Beard

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Jul 31, 2010
I am so sorry and shocked to hear about this. What a great and sad loss for John. Just Horrible!!! So, truly sad! It is one thing to make a statement, but not this way. I suppose if it was teenagers that did do this then they need something to do. So, perhaps learning how to keep their town clean would be one way to keep them busy.
My heart and prayers go out to the town of Gettysburg and for making the chapel such a controversy. I pray that this will be a wake up call to the town. How many churches do you know that keep there doors open to allow you go into a chapel when you need too?
whomever

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Jul 31, 2010
The heck with our joke of a legal system. If anyone knows who's responsible a little street justice is called for.
Momof2

Orbisonia, PA

#10 Jul 31, 2010
I am so sorry, Mr. Wega. As if you did not already have enough on your plate. Please know that we are lifting you in prayer as well as the outcome for the chapel. Praying that everyone can find forgiveness in their hearts...
local

Gettysburg, PA

#11 Jul 31, 2010
what the article doesnt tell you is that same evening cars were AGAIN vandalized all over town. Our police force here in Gettyburg is sorely lacking,it doesn't appear from statements by the chief that they care, maybe it's time to stop hassleling the tax payers and focus on real criminals

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#12 Jul 31, 2010
The borough needs to properly fund its department. The other half is install a whipping post by the Court House so these idiots - male or female - can be flogged within an inch of their life. Once saw the last whipping post in Dover DE - placed where you would have seen the last male getting his lashing for failure to pay child support in 1958. Usually immediate retribution brings pretty swift compliance - especially when viewed by a "public performance".

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#13 Jul 31, 2010
Where in the article does it state what this really is, A HATE CRIMIE. If a Mosque or a Synagogue was vandalized, the front page headline would read HATE CRIME. However, it is a Christian Chapel already embroiled in controversy. The media “pins it” on three teenagers that a lady saw walking down the alley at 1 a.m. Come on Marc Charisse, call it what it is... A HATE CRIME!
Lois new oxford

Chambersburg, PA

#14 Jul 31, 2010
they should fine these teens and make then
clean it up.
Bob

Shippensburg, PA

#15 Jul 31, 2010
This is what happens when "one nation under God" now means one nation under god. A HATE CRIME yes but not including Christians.
cant keep HIM down

Shippensburg, PA

#16 Jul 31, 2010
Stopped by this morning to help clean up... thay were already back in shape and several tourists had gathered for a Civil War demonstration being given by one of John's sons.
The Lord's hand is in this place.
RUSTY46

Reading, PA

#17 Jul 31, 2010
I hope those people that made those comments about him going back to New Hampshire are happy now.

Comments like that support acts of vandalism and stupidity.

Even if they catch these "teens", their parents will say they are good kids and will get off with a slap on the wrist to do things like this again.
Invader

Thurmont, MD

#18 Jul 31, 2010
What a heartbreaking story. How can one or many desecrate a house of worship and still hold their heads high and proud?
The Good Lord knows who the responsible people are and their intent in doing it; justice may fail here on earth, but it never fails when we stand in front of Him to atone for our actions.
Invader

Thurmont, MD

#19 Jul 31, 2010
I Started the Fire Storm wrote:
Where in the article does it state what this really is, A HATE CRIMIE. If a Mosque or a Synagogue was vandalized, the front page headline would read HATE CRIME. However, it is a Christian Chapel already embroiled in controversy. The media “pins it” on three teenagers that a lady saw walking down the alley at 1 a.m. Come on Marc Charisse, call it what it is... A HATE CRIME!
Yes! Exactly; thank you for saying such!
It is a sad state of affairs when other religious or racial backgrounds have crimes committed against them for such, it is labeled as a HATE CRIME. However when it happens against a majority religion or race, it isn't considered as such.
resident

Carlisle, PA

#20 Jul 31, 2010
cant keep HIM down wrote:
Stopped by this morning to help clean up... thay were already back in shape and several tourists had gathered for a Civil War demonstration being given by one of John's sons.
The Lord's hand is in this place.
that's awesome!
Res

Gettysburg, PA

#21 Jul 31, 2010
local wrote:
what the article doesnt tell you is that same evening cars were AGAIN vandalized all over town. Our police force here in Gettyburg is sorely lacking,it doesn't appear from statements by the chief that they care, maybe it's time to stop hassleling the tax payers and focus on real criminals
By your lack of proper English grammar and spelling it is obvious you know very little about anything and I can deduct you've either been arrested or cited by a Gettysburg Police Officer. It is unreal for anyone to think a single or even two police officers on duty can be everywhere at once in a town the size of Gettysburg. And by your obvious astute eye for detail I can only surmise why you are not on the police force. You should try sitting down with one of the officers and listen to the crap they have to take from idiots like you every day. I could not believe how so called parents protect their little criminals and are often more pathetic than their children. I personally would not want a police officers job. Gettysburg is seriously undermanned and over worked for what little pay they receive and the nonsense they must put up with from people like you. If you do not like how they perform their job, then try doing their job and we'll see how sorely lacking you are. To the men and women of the Gettysburg Police Department, keep up the good work and keep safe.
Nuff Said

Chambersburg, PA

#22 Jul 31, 2010
I'm sorry this happened. However, the damage done was only ripped bunting and overturned benches. Judging by the photo this damage could have happened during a thunderstorm. It's unfortunate that people feel the need to be distructive, but suggesting public floggings??? You people really need to chill out.
Invader

Thurmont, MD

#23 Jul 31, 2010
Res wrote:
<quoted text>
By your lack of proper English grammar and spelling it is obvious you know very little about anything and I can deduct you've either been arrested or cited by a Gettysburg Police Officer. It is unreal for anyone to think a single or even two police officers on duty can be everywhere at once in a town the size of Gettysburg. And by your obvious astute eye for detail I can only surmise why you are not on the police force. You should try sitting down with one of the officers and listen to the crap they have to take from idiots like you every day. I could not believe how so called parents protect their little criminals and are often more pathetic than their children. I personally would not want a police officers job. Gettysburg is seriously undermanned and over worked for what little pay they receive and the nonsense they must put up with from people like you. If you do not like how they perform their job, then try doing their job and we'll see how sorely lacking you are. To the men and women of the Gettysburg Police Department, keep up the good work and keep safe.
*nodding in agreement* Well said!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 6 hr Oh well 5,575
pump it powder (Jan '12) Dec 15 askmetray28 39
Two charged in heroin arrest Dec 13 lady 1
power outage littlestown pa Nov 22 Pink Eye 6
Man hits boy, 4, in head with beer bottle at Ad... Nov '14 Pink Eye 7
13 charged in Littlestown drug bust (Jun '09) Nov '14 Just a thought 222
Police seize more than $250,000 in methamphetam... Nov '14 Just a thought 11
Hanover Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web