Woman hospitalized after Route 194 crash

Woman hospitalized after Route 194 crash

There are 34 comments on the Evening Sun story from Oct 27, 2008, titled Woman hospitalized after Route 194 crash. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

A state trooper assesses the damage to one of the vehicles involved in a three-car accident at the intersection of Hanover Pike and Bollinger Road between Hanover and Littlestown in Union Township early Sunday ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kaitlin

Washington, DC

#1 Oct 27, 2008
I was there and saw everything.. i hope amy and her unborn child are doing okay!!!
Germany Township Resident

Scranton, PA

#2 Oct 27, 2008
This is a dangerous spot and people fly down the road and try to pass on the shoulder as if it is a regular lane of traffic. Pen Dot make the road wider at this and other left turn spots on 194 or make it so narrow people can't get by and must stop and wait. When I turn left I move as far to the right as possible to block it so they either have to slow way down or stop and wait to get by. Sorry folkks just not safe sometimes to drive down the shoulder and pass turning vehicles dowing 50 or more. SLOW DOWN!!!! I hope everyone is alright. But please SLOW DOWN and stop passing on the shoulders, they truely are for stopping only, not extra driving space to pass people.
read the comments

Carlisle, PA

#3 Oct 27, 2008
I was looking left for oncoming traffic to negotiate my right turn onto Rt. 194. Within a blink of the eye the three vehicles were involved in this traumatic event.

I hope for the best where everyone is concerned: Amy and her unborn child, Richard and his family, and Diane who is regretting she was in unknown territory looking for a road by herself.

May we all be very, very careful out there!
Friend of the family

Red Rock, OK

#4 Oct 27, 2008
There was another injury. A 91 year old woman, a passanger in the van, has a broken leg, nose. She will be having surgery on her leg today.
Just me

Hanover, PA

#5 Oct 27, 2008
Germany Township Resident, It may be helpful to review this manual.
From the PennDOT Driver's manual.Chapter3, Page 35. which can be found here: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/drivers_manual/pa_...
LEFT AND RIGHT TURNS
On two-lane, two-way streets or highways, make left turns from as close to the center line as possible. Make right
turns from as close to the right edge of the roadway as possible.
dummy

Bethesda, MD

#6 Oct 27, 2008
So you like causing accidents. It is legal to use the shoulder to go around left turning vehicles.
Germany Township Resident wrote:
This is a dangerous spot and people fly down the road and try to pass on the shoulder as if it is a regular lane of traffrrow people can't get by and must stop and wait. When I turn left I move as far to the right as possible to block it so they either have to slow way down or stop and wait to get by. Sorry folkks just not safe sometimes to drive down the shoulder and pass turning vehicles dowing 50 or more. SLOW DOWN!!!! I hope everyone is alright. But please SLOW DOWN and stop passing on the shoulders, they truely are for stopping only, not extra driving space to pass people.

Scranton, PA

#7 Oct 27, 2008
Might be legal does not make it safe when the shoulder here and other places is soft and not maintained well. Drivers passing left turning vehicles should also SLOW down and proceed with caution (not continue at posted speed limit) and show me in the motor vehicle law where it shows that the shoulder of the roadway is an acceptable passing zone. I'll look it the exact terms in a little while from PEN-DOT and national highway safety act if you want the governing authority on safety. That SOLID WHITE LINE IS THERE FOR A REASON, not as a guide. SLOW DOWN when passing. I am entitled to use the full width of the travel lane between the lines.

Scranton, PA

#8 Oct 27, 2008
The exact terms excape me but I think it goes like this safe and prudent operation of the motor vehicle must be maintained by the drive... THE POINT IS at this intersection as well as others her and along other roads People need to SLOW DOWN!! and proceed with caution. There needs to be turn lanes and the roads widened along the major roads because of these speeds and driver distractions. PEN DOT has had the guard rail at this intersection replaced 3 times this year alone. SLOW DOWN Resurface and widen the shoulders to allow passing smoothly with out the pot holes.
Shannon Bauerlien

Westminster, MD

#9 Oct 27, 2008
My 90 year old great grandma Norma Yingling, Was the one who was really hurt in this car crash. Everyone should be worried about her. Her nose is broken, and has 7 stickes in it! Her ring cut her finger to the bone, 7 stiches in that too. She had a steel plate put in her knee, and her leg is broken too. It makes me so mad that here was nothing in the paper about her. Just about the one who caused the crash. She may never walk again. SHE IS THE ONE THAT EVERYONE SHOULD BE WORRRIED ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!
What the

Waltham, MA

#10 Oct 27, 2008
So, I like dummy's approach, if I can read it, I am absolved of the guilt from the consequences. But, with that arguement, who can blame the Germany Township Residents of the world from drifting into the middle of their lane when turning ... she knows some dummy is behind her. She knows someone similar to dummy out there is going to try and squeeze through. Learn a lesson and protect yourself, there are far too many dummies in our lives who feel no guilt for the consequences they cause as a result of it being written on a piece of paper defined as their right.
Shannon Bauerlien

Neenah, WI

#11 Oct 27, 2008
I Wish people would stop calling my family dummies. The person who hit the first car in the back end said to my Grandfather that she was not paying attetion. Them after she hit that person she was out of control and hit my Grandfather and Grandma van. And now my Great grandma is in the hospital in major pain. The the car in the middle is the dummy not my Grandfather. Get the facts straight first before you call some one a dummy and you don't even know what the hell happened!!!!
Heather Snyder

East Greenville, PA

#12 Oct 27, 2008
With all due respect, I think the term "dummy" was referring to the name posted a few comments back. I hope all goes well with your grandma's surgery.
Missing the point

Reinholds, PA

#13 Oct 27, 2008
Drivers licenses should be required by law to be surrendered at age 65. Too many old people with slow reflexes are responsible for accidents. When your 65 call a cab or ride a bike, but don't get behind the wheel.
annonymous

Middletown, PA

#14 Oct 27, 2008
I have to agree, there are a lot of dummies in this world!!! But, none were present yesterday at the scene of the accident. Just a couple of normal people that made a mistake. Before anyone of you go throwing stones at the people involved in the accident or that caused the accident, examine your own day to day decisions!!!! Not one of you are perfect, I gaurantee it. People make mistakes, that is our natural instinct. Making comments like you guys have about the people involved in the accident, I feel, is extremely idiotic and self-centered. I can only imagine that the person that caused the accident feels bad enough without these comments from the peanut gallery!!!! Next time something like this happens to you, think twice and remember the dumb idiotic comments you had made about the people involved in this accident. You guys should be old enough to know that life is never fair and throws you curve balls when you are least expecting it. I am praying for the people involved in the accident and the two people that were rushed to the hospital. May God bless them with a speedy and healthy recovery!!!!
vdb

Carlisle, PA

#15 Oct 27, 2008
I fail to understand the relevance of the entry concerning removal of driver's license at the age of 65. Be careful of your mandates. One of my nephews had four accidents before age 18. Your age isn't mentioned but wait until you've lived sixty years, remaining young in heart, mind, and most people with their health. Think to yourself, I've agreed to not drive within five years; a very ridiculous notion indeed.
Cassandra Wolfe

Landisburg, PA

#16 Oct 27, 2008
I know the people that were hit yesterday and they are not dummies. The lady that caused everything said that she wasn't paying attention so I think some people need to look at where they are pointing the finger.. And the comment about how license should be taken at age 65 has no clue what they are talking about. I believe at that age they should have to take a driving test again and if they pass then they could keep them but if they don't then they should have them taken. My best friend is the granddaughter of the woman that had the real bad damages. I can't believe that the Evening Sun didn't say anything about her. It is like she wasn't even there. Accidents happen but when people are driving they should pay attention. There is no excuse for not paying attention...

I will keep everyone in my prayers especially Norma and her family. I love them all and they took care of me when I was younger. It is just said that no one has a heart to mention anything about her considering she is still in the hospital. Shannon and Family I love you all and you will all be in my prayers and heart forever....
Shannon Bauerlien

Westminster, MD

#17 Oct 27, 2008
I'm sorry for over reacting before. I have spent most of the day at the hospital with my Grandma, and Great Grandma. And seeing her in so much pain is killing me because I can't do anything to make it go away!! I'm sorry for blaiming people. I have no right to do that. I'm a mother of 3 and not perfect by a long shot!!! So I am so very sorry.
Cassandra, Thank you. I love you too!!! And I will call you tomarrow night and let you know how Mom- Mom is doing.
vdb

Carlisle, PA

#18 Oct 27, 2008
I despise accusations. I am guilty of passing them as well but people need to THINK before they talk or type.

How nice of everyone to throw stones at the woman who caused the accident. All of you are so just with your pride and never have inherent actions. Cassandra, I derive from your statement that you are the perfect 2 X 2 hand position on the wheel, never reaching for a kleenex, sunglasses, pulling the visor down against the sun, always eyes forward to watch the vehicle rear before you. I commend you and I'm not commenting that with malice. My dear uncle fell asleep, became lodged under a tractor-trailer, a rib piercing his heart. His passenger was unharmed. Accidents happen. He didn't plan on it, was moving from Reading to Lancaster, the extended hours and lull of the road affected his "paying attention".

This woman was not paying attention BECAUSE the reason and/or excuse is that she was alert to the fact of driving but was unfamiliar as to where she was to turn unto a road named Bollinger! A road is to her left, she is observing that, she moves her eyes to the right, BAM!, too late. She has reached an intersection also colliding with a vehicle. Did she intend to ruin health and vehicles on that day? No!

Am I defending her? Yes. My defending her comes from the standpoint of people hanging unto her every word. She was in shock, traumatized. She did not mean to cause an accident. I remember my senseless words, physically shaking, barely able to process thoughts yet I thought I was fine during an accident. I was mistakenly held responsible. I was shaking from this accident and I was only a witness. It also replayed in my head all night. Pass judgement on her for "not paying attention" BECAUSE ...

Shannon Bauerlien

Westminster, MD

#19 Oct 27, 2008
It sound to me that vdb is the one passing judement here. And Cassandra is only being a friend, so back off!!!
Common Tater

Harrisburg, PA

#20 Oct 27, 2008
Hope your families have a speedy recovery. Sorry you have to listen (read) these posts from superficial, pompous hypocrites that never did anything wrong or made any mistakes their whole lives. We have a roadway expert, a licensing expert and driver training experts on here. None of these people would ever own up or admit to ever having issues of their own.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 23 hr Tigersgo 7,202
News Woman accused of hitting man with belt at bar, ... Jan 15 Ed S 1
News Paradise School 'riot': Police arrest six students (Apr '08) Jan 7 Tommy 32
Ummmm......yeah Jan 3 Meep 2
News Babies shaken or not? (Mar '08) Jan 3 Meep 17
News Hanover man apologizes after fighting cop Dec 25 Fitus T Bluster 1
power outage littlestown pa (Nov '14) Dec 21 Javajunkie334 7

Hanover Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hanover Mortgages