Don't need so many phone books

Don't need so many phone books

There are 32 comments on the Evening Sun story from Sep 28, 2009, titled Don't need so many phone books. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

I received another telephone book yesterday. We are asked to go green and save trees.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Common Tater

Harrisburg, PA

#1 Sep 29, 2009
I often wondered the same thing. There are still a few lying around in their yellow bags on vacant homes. I'm quite certain THEY don't need a phone book either!
Hick

Unityville, PA

#2 Sep 29, 2009
No S*** on that one. Once a year i have to fill up half a garbage can to get rid of them. They really are nothing more than a book of advertisments anymore. I don't have a land line and havent for 7 years. Wouldn't this then be legal littering?
sarcasm man

Newville, PA

#3 Sep 29, 2009
I wanna know what sadistic people throw these out. For the past 3 years they always seem to deliver these on a day its raining or just stopped. And each time they throw them in a puddle. Those bags they put them in are great, except their open at one end morons!
just me

Spring Grove, PA

#4 Sep 29, 2009
Wouldn't be better to allow people to sign up for one or request one if they need it? I too, throw them out. Except for the really thick one which I use as a seat booster for the grandkids :)
Christine

Fort Washington, PA

#5 Sep 29, 2009
Google "Phone book opt out." The first link will allow you to enter your info to opt out of future deliveries.
sarcasm man

Newville, PA

#6 Sep 29, 2009
Christine wrote:
Google "Phone book opt out." The first link will allow you to enter your info to opt out of future deliveries.
Thanks, of course its too late this year ;)
Sure Nuff

Fannettsburg, PA

#7 Sep 29, 2009
I got 3 so far. Each company involved is changing its' name too . I just toss them back on thier doorstep , over thier fenced property or dump the one sent via U.S. mail --into a postal mailbox--since it is illegal to attach trash to Rural route malboxes. Let the Postal Inspectors sort it out.
R_Laughman

Hanover, PA

#8 Sep 29, 2009
We put the extras in our family cars.

That way, when we take too long over the shopping and just don't feel like making dinner that evening, we can call a pizza place or perhaps one of the Chinese restaurants and order dinner to pick up on the way home.
Kory Harper

Everett, PA

#9 Sep 29, 2009
You can always use the paper from the extra phone books as rolling paper.
Good thoughts

York Springs, PA

#10 Sep 29, 2009
Christine wrote:
Thank you so much!

“Justa truckin'”

Since: Aug 09

Abbottstown, PA

#11 Sep 29, 2009
sarcasm man wrote:
I wanna know what sadistic people throw these out. For the past 3 years they always seem to deliver these on a day its raining or just stopped. And each time they throw them in a puddle. Those bags they put them in are great, except their open at one end morons!
The people they get to deliver these books are usually drifters, or other out of work people desperate for work. You know what they say..."You get what you pay for."

I have to agree though....But as a previous "ADD Purchaser" in the yellow pages, it's all about revenue. Buying an add in the phone book is very costly. There are alot of salesman trying to sell adds for phone books and that's the reason you see so many of them out there.
YevZer

Intercourse, PA

#12 Sep 29, 2009
I have a small business and have around (12) different phone books in my office. How much do I use them? Only local one several times per year. All others, I can't remember when I used last. Also, do you know how some banks are going green?- By not sending you the statements. You have to go online to read them and print them out. So, when you print out the statement, who is going green? I know for sure, banks are not going green, they are saving some green.
giggidy

Manchester, MI

#13 Sep 29, 2009
Christine wrote:
Hmmm that sounds good...but I wonder if Google will sell your info & then you will be inundated with other junk mailings....And how about those Charitable organization mailings?!!!!
Ellen Smith

Newville, PA

#14 Sep 29, 2009
Re: phone book overload I was just trying to figure out WHY I received 3 phonebooks in less than a week when we are all supposed to be green!!
foshiZZle

Carlisle, PA

#15 Sep 29, 2009
I TOO, have the same complaint!! However,..I wish I could say that I have received only 3 telephone books. I have received SIX of them in the last 2-3 months!!! Seriously?? SIX?!?!?

I had to laugh at the insanity of it all, when I drove passed a neighboring property a month ago. The property once had a house on it - many, many months ago. But,..has since been torn down and the lot is now VACANT.

It seems that the telephone book deliverer still felt the need to throw a telephone book on to the property - THAT HAD NO HOUSE! THAT MEANS,....IT HAD NO PHONE!!! There was nothing there,....only a driveway. Ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong,..I enjoy having a phone book. It is much faster than using the internet at times, especially when searching for several listings of the same thing (painters, body shops, etc.). It is a useful item to have around the house, and at times quicker to use.

But,..having SIX of them is ridiculous.
Floyd Shermer

East Berlin, PA

#16 Sep 29, 2009
no..........you'll take those phone books and like them..... who cares if we kill trees unnecessarily, who cares if the person who delivers them wastes gas and pollutes the air even more with their stinky old car that's usually used for deliverying newspapers, driving down the wrong side of a road like a firetuck or police car like they have the right of way, then there's the daily log trucks coming out of Va on 15 and up 194 headed to Spring Grove providing the trees to make the phone books. By the way, I thought radar detectors were illegal for use by CDL drivers ? They always slow from 55 or 60 to 35 @ my house where I have a radar set on around the clock...hmmmmmmmm

“yes, I am a girl”

Since: Sep 08

Hanover

#17 Sep 29, 2009
I agree! I know not everyone has access to the internet but for the most part every business you can find online via google or other search engines. I also don't like getting free complimentary newspapers. I don't read the newspaper except for online here. It's just trash to me and it builds up to fast. why even pay for the newspaper when you can read the news online for free?
Also

Carlisle, PA

#18 Sep 29, 2009
Did you realize that all of the phone books we receive other than your local one (Embarq for the Hanover area) get the phone numbers from the previously printed local phone directory? I called one of the companies that print them regarding a listing with the wrong phone number, and they told me they print whatever was in last year's local phone book. So, it's a waste of time to use any of them other than the Embarq directory. The others go directly in my garbage since you can't depend on the numbers to be correct.
oh jesh

Middletown, PA

#19 Sep 29, 2009
I think they should do away with delivering phone books to your home and have them at a couple of local places. Many have internet and use it to find what they need. Those that do not have internet can go to (let's say) the library/post office/boro office to pick up a phone book.
It will save trees, save money on delivering them and save money by not having to print as many. A total win win situation.
late nighter

Columbia, SC

#20 Sep 29, 2009
I take my unused phone books to a phone booth along with cleaning supplies where I disinfect the entire area. I also include golf pencils and scrap pieces of paper from junk mail in a laundry detergent cap turned upside down secured with a piece of rolled duct tape. I am the phantom "phone maid" and have even gotten thank you notes stuck down in the caps. This all came about when my 14 yr old got locked out of the house one day and had to walk to a booth where she said she felt like she needed two showers to get rid of the germs. Now it is my hobby. Even though I work 2 jobs I still service every booth I see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 6 hr Snyders scam 6,789
News Vigil in Gettysburg honors victims of violence Jun 21 Davenport 2
107178 PB Filled Pieces Jun 15 Mattiecakes918 1
Review: Hanover School Of Ballet (Aug '11) Jun 14 Mary jane 3
Review: Dean's Auto Plaza (Sep '13) May '16 VroomVroom717 13
News Two sentenced in construction fraud case (Feb '11) Apr '16 mymomwasscammed 28
News Last person pleads in $4.8M cocaine ring Mar '16 Fitus T Bluster 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hanover Mortgages