Warehime-Myers, Hanover's other mansion, opens its doors to the...

Full story: Evening Sun 39
The main staircase of the Warehime-Myers Mansion can be seen on tours of the house. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
polly

Mifflintown, PA

#21 Nov 9, 2008
do you know wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, they did not have to work there. But that does not negate the fact that they ( S and M ) kept the wages low all over town. The very rich can dictate wages in a small town when they own it.
Did you know that they kept Unions out of Hanover for years.
Were you around in the 30s 40s and50s? There weren't too many large industries (with unions) around here then. In YORK, but not HANOVER! The 'BOYS' kept them out so they wouldn't have to pay their own employees more. Where else could you go for a better job in Hanover? There were none.
I wasn't around, my grandfather was. He worked several jobs to support his family. Just don't know the point you are trying to make. I'm not going to sit back and get annoyed because I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth! Take a tour of the mansion and be thankful you are an American.
Another Voice

Harrisburg, PA

#22 Nov 9, 2008
do you know wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, they did not have to work there. But that does not negate the fact that they ( S and M ) kept the wages low all over town. The very rich can dictate wages in a small town when they own it.
Did you know that they kept Unions out of Hanover for years.
Were you around in the 30s 40s and50s? There weren't too many large industries (with unions) around here then. In YORK, but not HANOVER! The 'BOYS' kept them out so they wouldn't have to pay their own employees more. Where else could you go for a better job in Hanover? There were none.
What you say is true, but I still have to agree with Polly.
Hanover was a much better town before the big industries (with unions) arrived in town. Maybe the wages weren't what you could find in the cities, but the people working here were happy and as Polly said, had food on their tables.
H-D Rider

West Chester, PA

#23 Dec 28, 2008
Most of these people are a bag of wind, Mr. Fred Warehime, whom I've known for many years.
All for it

Baltimore, MD

#24 Dec 29, 2008
For 28 years I have driven by the Myers mansion and ALWAYS wanted to see inside. How beautiful and historical and romantic it looked.(FROM THE OUTSIDE)....What a bunch of crap it was. Soooo dissapointing to see the inside. I think they (the Historical Society) Should sell the crap and use the funds to purchase or re-purchase historically correct furnishings. That place was so incredibly garish inside, tacky, tacky, tacky! The structure itself, once you stopped being blinded by all the gaudiness was beautiful though
H-D RIDER

West Chester, PA

#25 Dec 30, 2008
That's not half as bad as Centennial St. by the post office and all around there and many other places. The whole town needs HELP!
Another Voice

Harrisburg, PA

#26 Dec 31, 2008
H-D RIDER wrote:
That's not half as bad as Centennial St. by the post office and all around there and many other places. The whole town needs HELP!
"Centennial St. by the post office"?
The Post Office isn't on Centennial St., in fact, I don't think that there is a Centennial St. in town.
Joan Myers

AOL

#27 Mar 27, 2011
The last time I was in Hanover was to attend a prom with Ken Kesselring. I really loved Hanove , I just never knew how my ancesters settled in Pa. & Md. untill we started to a ancestry search. I was on the Buddy Deanne Show for two years 58/59. I had a lot of friends in Hanover. I'm looking forward to visiting yhe Mansion.
Joan Myers

AOL

#28 May 4, 2011
My family dates back to the 1700's. It is only because of searching my Myers Heritage that I've heard of this Mansion. When I was a Teenager I dated a young man from Hanover (Ken Kesselring) & attended his prom. I was on the Buddy Deanne Show for 2 yr's.I made many friends from Hanover. John Warehime married my Great -Great Grandmother Oliva Myers. I look forward to visiting the mansion in the coming months.My E-Mail addres is Joan Myers Zissimos.
Joan Myers

AOL

#29 May 5, 2011
Facebook

Joan Myers Zissimos
Joan Myers Zissimos

Baltimore, MD

#30 May 10, 2011
Anyone who remember's me from the Buddy Deanne Show. P{lease send me a word. Would love to know how my friends are doing. I know it's been a long time, I saved all the Fan Mail & wonder what happened to everyone. I can't wait untill I get back to Hanover. joni
Hanover Pride

Brooklyn, NY

#31 Jun 9, 2011
Lets forget about all the negativity towards the men that have been involved in building and owning the mansion and be happy that people in the small town of Hanover are purchasing historic buildings for generation after generation to see! Warehime could have been like Mike Rice from UTZ, and built himself a castle and not give his employees a dime... Think about that one for a while wise guys! Thanks to guys like Warehime and Myers your kids, grandchildren, and hopefully great grandchildren have a piece of history to view!
Thanks,
SCS/328
Sonny

Myerstown, PA

#32 Jul 1, 2011
Another Voice wrote:
<quoted text>
"Centennial St. by the post office"?
The Post Office isn't on Centennial St., in fact, I don't think that there is a Centennial St. in town.
There is a Centennial Ave. in Hanover.
ZO2 fan

Hanover, PA

#33 Jul 1, 2011
The post office is on High St. High St changes to Centennial Ave right at the traffic light at the intersection of High and Frederick
Jim

Hanover, PA

#34 Sep 23, 2011
Joan Myers Zissimos wrote:
Anyone who remember's me from the Buddy Deanne Show. P{lease send me a word. Would love to know how my friends are doing. I know it's been a long time, I saved all the Fan Mail & wonder what happened to everyone. I can't wait untill I get back to Hanover. joni
Hi Joni:
I am from Northeast Baltimore and do remember a Joni from the Buddy Dean Show. I attended the Teen Center at Fullerton Elem. School on Belair Road. Several times Buddy Dean would be thera and would bring up and comming recording stars with him. The only one I can remember was a group thet the lead singer had a spit curl in the middle of his forehead. His name was Bill Halley. WOW the memories. I moved to Hanover in the late 60's and am glad that Mr. Warehime donated the Mansion to the Historical Society and the people of Hanover. JIM
Joan Myers Zissimos

Baltimore, MD

#35 Feb 15, 2012
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Joni:
I am from Northeast Baltimore and do remember a Joni from the Buddy Dean Show. I attended the Teen Center at Fullerton Elem. School on Belair Road. Several times Buddy Dean would be thera and would bring up and comming recording stars with him. The only one I can remember was a group thet the lead singer had a spit curl in the middle of his forehead. His name was Bill Halley. WOW the memories. I moved to Hanover in the late 60's and am glad that Mr. Warehime donated the Mansion to the Historical Society and the people of Hanover. JIM
Hi Jim , I haven't checked this page for some time. Bill Haley was the first live group that was on the show. I wish that today the teen's had the oportunity to experience the fun we had on the show & at the Record Hops. Buddy & his Program Assistant have both passed on over the last couple of years. I was very close with Arlene who really kept that show moving. So many stories I could tell you, but as you saw the show & came to some of the Hops, you know. I never knew the negative about Wareheim or Myers. I would still like to visit this summer. My E-Mail is Joan Zissimos @aol.com. Hope this reply find you well . Sorry it's been late. Joan
Matt Myers

Baltimore, MD

#36 Feb 23, 2012
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Joni:
Very interesting discussion, Jim. I'm also from NorthEast Baltimore, and btw, Joan is my cousin. Hi Joan. Small world. Jim where abouts in NorthEast Baltimore are you from? I would love to know more about the Myers Mansion in Hanover and look forward to touring it one day.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#37 Feb 23, 2012
screw them pretzel eating SOB'S. these people are crooks. just look at their shady business practices relating to their independent operators.
that mansion could go up in flames for all i care!
Joni Myers

Baltimore, MD

#38 May 27, 2012
As the Mansion belonged to my ancesters, I am planning a trip this Sunday. The last time I was in Hanover was for a senior prom , my date was Ken Kesselring. I think 1959. I was on the Buddy Deanne show 58 & 59. Made a lot of friend from Hanover. Just found out about the Mansion thru Ancestry .com. I'm sure thing's have changed. My Facebook page is Joanmyerszissimos @aol.com
Truth Hurts

Hanover, PA

#39 May 29, 2012
It's just a building, you don't own it and you also have to right to save your money by not going on the tour. If I was going to spend my time worrying about a building it would be that eye sore Hot and Now that has been there forever looking like a fast food slum for roaches. Just my thoughts not slamming anyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 3 hr sam 5,578
Hanover should trash its recycling program (Mar '08) Fri RetiredRN 16
pump it powder (Jan '12) Dec 15 askmetray28 39
Two charged in heroin arrest Dec 13 lady 1
power outage littlestown pa Nov '14 Pink Eye 6
Man hits boy, 4, in head with beer bottle at Ad... Nov '14 Pink Eye 7
13 charged in Littlestown drug bust (Jun '09) Nov '14 Just a thought 222
Hanover Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web