Comments
45,981 - 46,000 of 51,275 Comments Last updated 5 hrs ago
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50741
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think that voting is what makes a democracy? That's all there is to it?
I think that person did not necessariliy imply that. He was just stating that low voter turnout is not a good sign. Of course, voter suppression of young people, minorities, and women, is good for white rightwing Republicans. That is not good for democracy, however. What happens is partly due to low turnout in non-Presidential years, which is partly the fault of young persons and minorities who do not vote in those elections, even when they are not being discouraged by discriminatory voter laws passed by GOP legislatures and signed by GOP governors, or by dirty tricks by a Secretary of State such as Blackwell in Ohio in 2004, when there were nonfunctioning voter machines in black precincts.

If you want to take the view that voter turnout in primaries is also extremely important, and not just in general elections, you would be correct about that. If you think town hall decisions on local matters, with public hearings and open discussion, are good practice for democracy - that is OK when it is a good tradition, but not when a mob is recruited by one side or the other. If you think that court decisions should prevent voter suppression, rather than encourage it, then you would be taking a pro-democracy view.

On top of that, there are plenty of groups one can join, to support lobbying and campaign contributions to candidates one agrees with. There are letters to the editor. There is good behavior in one's own personal life - obeying all reasonable laws, and only disobeying the unreasonable ones if there is no better way to overturn them.

I would be interested in what you meant. I might even agree with you on some process matters and disagree on some substance. process matters very much. it helps to agree on fair processes.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50742
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

you folks are too cryptic. you need to explain what you mean, in specifics. it would be interesting if you did.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50743
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I think that person did not necessariliy imply that. He was just stating that low voter turnout is not a good sign. Of course, voter suppression of young people, minorities, and women, is good for white rightwing Republicans. That is not good for democracy, however. What happens is partly due to low turnout in non-Presidential years, which is partly the fault of young persons and minorities who do not vote in those elections, even when they are not being discouraged by discriminatory voter laws passed by GOP legislatures and signed by GOP governors, or by dirty tricks by a Secretary of State such as Blackwell in Ohio in 2004, when there were nonfunctioning voter machines in black precincts.
If you want to take the view that voter turnout in primaries is also extremely important, and not just in general elections, you would be correct about that. If you think town hall decisions on local matters, with public hearings and open discussion, are good practice for democracy - that is OK when it is a good tradition, but not when a mob is recruited by one side or the other. If you think that court decisions should prevent voter suppression, rather than encourage it, then you would be taking a pro-democracy view.
On top of that, there are plenty of groups one can join, to support lobbying and campaign contributions to candidates one agrees with. There are letters to the editor. There is good behavior in one's own personal life - obeying all reasonable laws, and only disobeying the unreasonable ones if there is no better way to overturn them.
I would be interested in what you meant. I might even agree with you on some process matters and disagree on some substance. process matters very much. it helps to agree on fair processes.
My point is that democracy is not just elections. It is much more than that.

If someone wants to claim that the US does not have a strong and robust democracy, pointing to voter turnout that's lower than they would like it to be isn't sufficient to prove their point. Free and fair elections are just one component of a democracy.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50744
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

havent forgotten wrote:
you folks are too cryptic. you need to explain what you mean, in specifics. it would be interesting if you did.
I am very happy to more fully explain my points to anyone who doesn't understand them.
change your ways

West Mifflin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50745
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Republican: My Own Party is Full of Racists .



embrace the blacks, the immigrants, women, gays ,the disabled or else lose election after election........

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50750
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The BHO Legacy wrote:
Secretary of State John Kerry fiddles with his rigging while Egypt burns
Secretary of State John Kerry spent time lounging around on his yacht Wednesday while the Egyptian military was deposing their country's democratically elected president Mohammed Morsi, according to various reports.
When Kerry was first spotted on his yatch, called "Isabel," near his vacation home in Nantucket, State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki called the report "completely inaccurate" saying that the Secretary of State had been "working all day and on the phone dealing with the crisis in Egypt," according to CBS News.
Psaki even went so far as to deny that Kerry was even on the boat.
...However, Psaki has now completely reversed course and acknowledges that Kerry "briefly" spent time on his boat Wednesday where he "worked around the clock all day including participating in the President's meeting with his national security council."
Seemingly oblivious to Kerry's recreational activities, the White House released a photo of President Obama meeting with his top security team to talk about Egypt on Wednesday. Kerry is not in the photograph.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/john_ke...
Right.

Because who has ever heard of a $7 million, 76 foot yacht having access to television, internet, and telephone communication?

Honest to God - could you be MORE oblivious and petty?
DoD Coup

Hazleton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50754
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Which word are you having trouble with?
Somebody asks your definition and you give no answer. You must be in elected office.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50755
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

DoD Coup wrote:
<quoted text>Somebody asks your definition and you give no answer. You must be in elected office.
You didn't ask for a definition. You expressed confusion and I offered to explain - all you had to do was make yourself clear. If you had a question, you should have just asked it.

modern - of or pertaining to present and recent time; not ancient or remote

western - in the contemporary cultural meaning, the phrase "Western world" includes Europe, as well as many countries of European colonial origin with majority European ancestral populations in the Americas and Oceania

democracy - a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system

That help?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50758
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The BHO Legacy wrote:
54 Months: Record Stretch of 7.5%+ Unemployment Continues
July 5, 2013
Since January 2009, when Barack Obama was inaugurated as president, the United States has seen 54 straight months with the unemployment rate at 7.5 percent or higher, which is the longest stretch of unemployment at or above that rate since 1948, when the Bureau of Labor Statistics started calculating the national unemployment rate.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/54-months-rec...
Ahhhhh, but this is part of the GOP Congress' legacy, not the President's. It is a direct result of the GOP sequester.

----------

Public sector continued to shed jobs in June

The private sector continued to show solid job gains in June, while the public sector kept shedding workers.

The overall public sector lost 7,000 jobs last month, continuing a years-long decline, according to the Labor Department. In comparison, U.S. employers overall added 195,000 new jobs last month. The unemployment rate held steady at 7.6%.

Much of those cuts can be attributed to sequestration, or the $85 billion in across-the-board cuts that the government must implement by the end of its fiscal year in September.

In the last year, the private sector has gained jobs at a 2% rate. But government employment has fallen by 0.2%. That means, over the last 12 months, the private sector added more than 190,000 jobs per month while the government shed 3,000 jobs a month.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-m...

----------

Legacy - why can't you rightwingers take responsibility for anything? Why do you insist on shifting the blame for the results of your own policies onto President Obama? I thought the right was big on taking personal responsibility.

LMAO!

Yeah right! IOKIYAAR, right?
Betty

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50759
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

As a former food stamp recipient, let's just say that the $200/month I got in Washington a couple years ago (which was actually adequate for me, considering I have no dependents) was hardly more enticing than getting myself back into the work force where I could, you know, make a decent salary.

At one point at the end of 2010, sure, I had the $200 a month in food, but I was nearly out of cash to put gas in the car to even get to the grocery store.

But w/o the SNAP benefits, I truly have no idea how I would have gotten through a couple months there. No idea at all.

Within 2.5 years of being on them, I'm now 100% back on my feet, landed a job that pays better than anything I've had before and I can resume contributing to society.

People who demonize food stamp recipients are truly my deepest enemies. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I loathe their "let 'em starve" attitude.
Betty

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50760
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The BHO Legacy wrote:
54 Months: Record Stretch of 7.5%+ Unemployment Continues
July 5, 2013
Since January 2009, when Barack Obama was inaugurated as president, the United States has seen 54 straight months with the unemployment rate at 7.5 percent or higher, which is the longest stretch of unemployment at or above that rate since 1948, when the Bureau of Labor Statistics started calculating the national unemployment rate.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/54-months-rec...
http://reflectionsofarationalrepublican.files...
Tax dodger

West Mifflin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50761
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

oblivious and petty wrote:
.
.
.
John Kerry Saves $500,000 By Docking 76-Foot Luxury Yacht Out Of State
Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry is docking his family's new $7 million yacht in neighboring Rhode Island,
allowing him to avoid paying roughly $500,000 in taxes to the cash-strapped Bay State.
If the "Isabel" were kept at the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee's summer vacation home on Nantucket,
or in Boston Harbor near his city residence,
he would be liable for $437,500 in one-time sales tax.
He would also have to pay $70,000 in annual excise taxes.
..........
Honest to God - could you be MORE oblivious and petty?
Sounds like keeping your money in the Cayman Islands and other overseas banks to avoid taxes here in the USA??:0)~

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50762
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Tax dodger wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like keeping your money in the Cayman Islands and other overseas banks to avoid taxes here in the USA??:0)~
Yeah, I said from the beginning that Romney was the GOP's John Kerry.

And I was right. LOL!
bobby6464

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50763
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Former governor etch a sketch alias flipper was never and will never be president in any country. The racial hating tea bags hate president Obama, but the flipper could not buy that much hate in america. There is not that many fanatical Limbaugh nut juice guzzlers in america to sway any presidential election. I'm not looking for tea bag news
Muni Pennsylvania

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50764
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I said from the beginning that Romney was the GOP's John Kerry.
And I was right. LOL!
..........

Muni Pennsylvania

Muni Pennsylvania portfolios invest at least 80% of assets in Pennsylvania municipal debt and can include

long-,

intermediate-,

and short-duration portfolios.

Because the income from these bonds is generally free from federal taxes and Pennsylvania state taxes,

these portfolios are most appealing to residents of Pennsylvania.

Morningstar®

..........

And I was right.

LOL! LOL! LOL!

http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/ra...
Muni Pennsylvania

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50765
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I said from the beginning that Romney was the GOP's John Kerry.
And I was right. LOL!
..........

Obama’s pension includes Chinese and Cayman investments

President Barack Obama and his supporters continue to slash at Gov. Mitt Romney for keeping some of his private-sector wealth overseas,

even though the president’s Illinois pension is also invested in

Chinese companies and a fund in the Cayman Islands.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/20/obamas-pens...

....
...

And I was right.

LOL!

LOL! LOL! LOL!
black unemployment

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50766
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Betty wrote:
As a former food stamp recipient, let's just say that the $200/month I got in Washington a couple years ago (which was actually adequate for me, considering I have no dependents) was hardly more enticing than getting myself back into the work force where I could, you know, make a decent salary.
At one point at the end of 2010, sure, I had the $200 a month in food, but I was nearly out of cash to put gas in the car to even get to the grocery store.
But w/o the SNAP benefits, I truly have no idea how I would have gotten through a couple months there. No idea at all.
Within 2.5 years of being on them, I'm now 100% back on my feet, landed a job that pays better than anything I've had before and I can resume contributing to society.
People who demonize food stamp recipients are truly my deepest enemies. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I loathe their "let 'em starve" attitude.
..........

Black Unemployment in the U.S.:

So Bad the UN is Investigating
By Jessie

The level of black unemployment in the U.S. is so bad that the United Nations is launching an investigation.

And, indeed the figures on unemployment by race are grim for blacks, especially black men.

The latest unemployment figures show a stark racial disparity.

For black men,

the unemployment rate was 20.2%,

compared to 9.6% unemployment for white men.

(Of course, these numbers are low given that “discouraged workers,” those who are no longer looking for employment, are not included, nor are those who are incarcerated.)

The outrageously high unemployment among black Americans means the United States has failed to live up to commitments it made under United Nations human rights agreements,

a coalition of advocacy groups charges (pdf), according to a recent report by City Limits

http://www.racismreview.com/blog/2010/04/28/b...
avoid taxes in the USA

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50767
Jul 6, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Tax dodger wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like keeping your money in the Cayman Islands and other overseas banks to avoid taxes here in the USA??:0)~
..........

The widow of the late Sen. John Heinz, Teresa is worth $550 million,

owns at least five mansions and controls a corporation that owns a Gulfstream V private jet worth $35 million.

The widow Heinz,

who is five years older than her second husband,

does pay taxes, but only up to a point.

Last year, according to the ``summary,'' she paid income taxes of about $750,000 on an income of $5.1 million.

That works out to less than 15 percent of her income, because over half of her income

-$2.8 million

- came from tax-exempt interest on government bonds.

.
.

In other words,

in addition to the $45,000 a week on which she did pay taxes,

Mrs. John Kerry [related, bio] last year collected another $56,000 a week upon which she paid zero taxes.

..........

Cayman Islands and other overseas banks to avoid taxes here in the USA
bobby6464

Kenmore, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50769
Jul 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Hey racial hating tea bag, stop your verbal wah wah forum tantrum and really do something, dumb ass tea bag. Take it the rally. Take your 2nd amendment shit with your ignorant ass. Your custom to running home fast
Baron von Skidmarck

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50770
Jul 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

bobbyretard6464 wrote:
Hey racial hating tea bag, stop your verbal wah wah forum tantrum and really do something, dumb ass tea bag. Take it the rally. Take your 2nd amendment shit with your ignorant ass. Your custom to running home fast
Hey child molesting Demtard, stop your verbal diarrhea and think for yourself. Your criminal enabling/victim disarmament policy promotion appears to be fueled with the need to protect your fellow perps.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 18 hr New guy 5,415
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Tue But Not Hussein O... 3,898
Review: Dean's Auto Plaza (Sep '13) Aug 15 Nicole 7
York City man charged with murdering baby Aug 9 Joe Biden 1
Suburban Life: Towns band together to share lov... Jul 22 Black dude 1
bulllys at the work place. Jul '14 robert 1
State police probing pistol theft in Adams County Jul '14 Marilyn Newcomer 1

Search the Hanover Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Hanover Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Hanover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Hanover News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hanover
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••