Snyder's of Hanover

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#5679 Sep 10, 2014
southern family man... there is a reason there giving this route away. if you think bimbo was bad wait until you get a taste of S&L.
Proud Orginazation

Littleton, CO

#5680 Sep 10, 2014
Congratulations to Dan Morgan for his promotion to Chief Purchase Officer
Oh well

Byram, MS

#5681 Sep 10, 2014
Southern family man wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you explain what you mean? In other words, I guess I'm curious if there are company practices that will hinder my making a living? Is the company operated of of the usual IBO weekly settlement practice? Is there anything that I should specifically be asking the area manager when we sit down to visit about a route? As far as I can tell its a company owned route for less than $5,000. How strict are their financing criteria and payback? Manager just sent me a printout showing week 11 sales at about $4153, not including stale. Do they offer a stale buy back? My issue I had with Bimbo was that my delivery invoices were seldom correct, and when I insisted correction it seldom ever happened. Stale was seldom correctly credited, and settlement never matched what I actually ran each week. I was constantly on the phone with the corporate accountants in Canada. T-com issues were fairly routine, and took many months to correct, if ever. But the nail in the coffin, so to speak, was the constant inconsistency of deliveries. My fellow route men that I shared a depot with we're company employees of Sara Lee, another branch of Bimbo, and I was Mrs Bairds. Our trucks were to be delivered together at same time on same truck, yet I was competing with them at the same time. But my deliveries were often left off the first early morning truck and delivered many times, well after my door times. This caused constant aggregation with my customers, and all complaints fell on deaf ears, until I gave them 30 days to get another suck to buy the route. Then they swore that things would change and for two weeks I received my own truck, and it was never late. Then they finally realized that I was serious and everything went back to the old system. It was quite a shame how things were ran, but the prior owner took advantage of most of the customers to the point that with just 1 mistake, they threatened to drop me and keep me out of chain accounts. It was a total nightmare. I was making money, but only about a quarter of what they quoted, and out of that I had a new truck payment that I leased from bush trucking. It's been a year since I left the route and still to this day, my truck sits at the depot where I was told to leave it, and according to the settlement reports they still send me, they're still paying all the weekly payments as well. Kinda ludicrous. I hope that Snyder lance is not that bad.
Post an e-mail address if you want and i'm sure some will reply with thoughts. There are several things to look for before and after signing the contract. You just have to make sure you always dot the i's and cross the t's. They will give credits but you have to make sure they do. You need to spend at least an hour daily with admin tasks or else you will sink. SL as a company is more concerned with it's growth more than yours. They say they will help. My DM is awesome and our acting zone mgr is , but our previous one not so much. So you have to take care of yourself.
Wharfs for cape cod

Shermans Dale, PA

#5682 Sep 10, 2014
Dan Morgan, Carl Lee, Marty Staunton - these are some of the players that made a fortune at the IBO's expense. I hope they sleep well at night. I've made my money at SL but to you new guys - you better buckle in because these guys are going to run us into the ground. They care nothing about the company - they care about themselves.

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#5684 Sep 10, 2014
<quoted text>
Can you explain what you mean? In other words, I guess I'm curious if there are company practices that will hinder my making a living? Is the company operated of of the usual IBO weekly settlement practice? Is there anything that I should specifically be asking the area manager when we sit down to visit about a route? As far as I can tell its a company owned route for less than $5,000. How strict are their financing criteria and payback? Manager just sent me a printout showing week 11 sales at about $4153, not including stale. Do they offer a stale buy back? My issue I had with Bimbo was that my delivery invoices were seldom correct, and when I insisted correction it seldom ever happened. Stale was seldom correctly credited, and settlement never matched what I actually ran each week. I was constantly on the phone with the corporate accountants in Canada. T-com issues were fairly routine, and took many months to correct, if ever. But the nail in the coffin, so to speak, was the constant inconsistency of deliveries. My fellow route men that I shared a depot with we're company employees of Sara Lee, another branch of Bimbo, and I was Mrs Bairds. Our trucks were to be delivered together at same time on same truck, yet I was competing with them at the same time. But my deliveries were often left off the first early morning truck and delivered many times, well after my door times. This caused constant aggregation with my customers, and all complaints fell on deaf ears, until I gave them 30 days to get another suck to buy the route. Then they swore that things would change and for two weeks I received my own truck, and it was never late. Then they finally realized that I was serious and everything went back to the old system. It was quite a shame how things were ran, but the prior owner took advantage of most of the customers to the point that with just 1 mistake, they threatened to drop me and keep me out of chain accounts. It was a total nightmare. I was making money, but only about a quarter of what they quoted, and out of that I had a new truck payment that I leased from bush trucking. It's been a year since I left the route and still to this day, my truck sits at the depot where I was told to leave it, and according to the settlement reports they still send me, they're still paying all the weekly payments as well. Kinda ludicrous. I hope that Snyder lance is not that bad.
Advice, run the route before you buy it!
P.S You can not survive on a 4000. route with all the expenses.
Long rod

Nashville, TN

#5685 Sep 11, 2014
Hey guys,
This may be a stupid question, but here I go anyway. Is buying a rural route for less than 5 k that has 7k in weekly sales a terrible idea? I'm not a total stranger to the IBO struggles, just ended a bimbo IBO last year. It just seems that it would be pretty difficult not to make money,even if it is only 12-15%, with purchase price being so low. Any low down on how rural routes are dealt with? It seems that it's pretty hard to find many positive remarks on here or any other site for that matter, but I know of quite a few IBO's who have made a good living and splitting and selling routes, and some don't even do the work but hire it out..
I'm just looking for something to pay the bills on, and maybe enjoy living just a little bit. Can a rural route do that, at this low price? Seems plausible
Probably is running 3500 after all the Crap the dm is cramming in there that doesn't sell and will stale out .. After gas you will probably make around 600 a week not much when u have to keep tires brakes tune ups etc on a truck ..
Southern family man

Yukon, OK

#5686 Sep 12, 2014
Long rod wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably is running 3500 after all the Crap the dm is cramming in there that doesn't sell and will stale out .. After gas you will probably make around 600 a week not much when u have to keep tires brakes tune ups etc on a truck ..
I met with the DM. All the accounts actively being serviced are only the large corp accounts, and a handful of small mom and pops. The growth potential is of the charts. I'm familiar with this area well, and know of many more accounts that would come on board just by me asking. They're fixing to add a large convenience store chain any day, in negotiations now. A second chain is in the near future. Outlook for the route is very promising. I ran a bimbo IBO route last year that was a joke. This is actually workable.
Commission offered is reasonable, 18/21 with 4% add bcuz of route milage which makes it 22/25. Does this not sound like a workable business, or am I just seeing an unrealistic potential?
Oh well

Greenville, MS

#5687 Sep 12, 2014
<quoted text>
I met with the DM. All the accounts actively being serviced are only the large corp accounts, and a handful of small mom and pops. The growth potential is of the charts. I'm familiar with this area well, and know of many more accounts that would come on board just by me asking. They're fixing to add a large convenience store chain any day, in negotiations now. A second chain is in the near future. Outlook for the route is very promising. I ran a bimbo IBO route last year that was a joke. This is actually workable.
Commission offered is reasonable, 18/21 with 4% add bcuz of route milage which makes it 22/25. Does this not sound like a workable business, or am I just seeing an unrealistic potential?
Ask about the criteria for the incremental margin (xtra 4%). I was getting it then we picked up a chain and because the sales increased the zone mgr took part away. It was given back after much discussion. Just make sure youre not banking on something that can go away. If the chains come on board be prepared for twice a week service. Sounds easy until it happens. Also it sounds good to have potential but getting needed equipment could be challenging. It took 3 to 4 months to get fixtures for new stores I opened because the zone wouldnt spend the money. It is much better now but if you do this i would get a fixture or two on hand first. When you go to open a store and set it up order another. They want you to gain permission, set up in hand held, order fixture, then set store. Problem is it was taking forever to get equipment. You can do this, you can make $. SL actually has a decent program but it could be so much better. It all depends on your zone mgr and dist mgr.
S-L is a scam

United States

#5688 Sep 12, 2014
So riddle me this. If you're an IBO and you get thrown out of a Target because you sexually assaulted somebody, what do you think would happen to you? Do you agree that S-L would take your route from you? So what happens when you're a DM and this happens? You still get to keep your job and treat all your IBO's like employees! This really happened in the Raleigh/Durham (NC) area, and the DMs name is Greg Spence. If you see Greg, tell him what a great job he is doing and leave your teenage daughter(s) at home! What an ass clown!
Bubba

Princeton, WV

#5689 Sep 12, 2014
<quoted text>
GET IT IN WRITING FIRST! If you can, then great. But I guarantee they will tell you they will have to follow up and get it back to you (after you sign contracts) & it never happens. There are no percentage charts or attachments with your contracts. Promised 17% & 19% with 2% incremental rebate because of rural mileage, but there were no pages in contract stating this agreement. Reality is, only grossing 15% after PMs. It happened to me, and I am finally getting out. It is what is called slow starvation.

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#5690 Sep 13, 2014
Many different people on here from all over the country. All have the same gripes/ concerns. SNYDERS/LANCE does not care about you or your family. They don't care that you only make a 15-16.5 blended margin. They dont care that the distributors are the lowest paid in the industry.They don't care if you have truck problems that may cost in the thousands. They don't care that you have a medical issue and you don't make enough money to pay someone to run "your business"! It's only "your" business when you incur all the expenses! They try to tell you that they care but that is all hollow talk. Show us you care other than a sandwich platter at Christmas time!
They look at the distributors as unskilled labor and they can do a better job than you.
The funny thing is that they look at you in the face , smile, shake your hand and pretend that they care about you. The real truth is that they will not pay you on your sales, like other companys. The real truth is that they do not trust you enough to front you the product so you can properly service your stores without being penalized for having too much product on your truck.
Remember, the next time they smile and ask you how is it going, they really don't give a crap about you!
Happy Selling
snackman

Gettysburg, PA

#5691 Sep 13, 2014
Krave MaMeat wrote:
Many different people on here from all over the country. All have the same gripes/ concerns. SNYDERS/LANCE does not care about you or your family. They don't care that you only make a 15-16.5 blended margin. They dont care that the distributors are the lowest paid in the industry.They don't care if you have truck problems that may cost in the thousands. They don't care that you have a medical issue and you don't make enough money to pay someone to run "your business"! It's only "your" business when you incur all the expenses! They try to tell you that they care but that is all hollow talk. Show us you care other than a sandwich platter at Christmas time!
They look at the distributors as unskilled labor and they can do a better job than you.
The funny thing is that they look at you in the face , smile, shake your hand and pretend that they care about you. The real truth is that they will not pay you on your sales, like other companys. The real truth is that they do not trust you enough to front you the product so you can properly service your stores without being penalized for having too much product on your truck.
Remember, the next time they smile and ask you how is it going, they really don't give a crap about you!
Happy Selling
well said
Pirates

Rochester, NY

#5692 Sep 13, 2014
Krave MaMeat wrote:
Happy Selling
Oh how true!
Go Friars

Saint Petersburg, FL

#5693 Sep 13, 2014
You're an Independent Business Owner. S-L doesn't give you any benefits like retirement and healthcare but the tradeoff is the higher commission and higher pay so you can maintain your business and support yourself/family. When you buy a route you should factor in healthcare, retirement and truck repair costs. The problem is companies like S-L have set their margins so you can just get by. Very few routes make enough so the IBO can cover the costs I mentioned. And even if they do the route usually requires a second person. Here on the west coast of Florida many routes have to hire a merchandiser to be able to cover the service call requirements. There's just not enough money in these deals to make it work for a person who wants a retirement account and to be able to afford healthcare. I wouldn't advise any young person to ge tin to this industry. It's been ruined by the greedy corporations who care only about the companies stock price and their own bonuses.
snackman

Gettysburg, PA

#5694 Sep 14, 2014
Go Friars wrote:
You're an Independent Business Owner. S-L doesn't give you any benefits like retirement and healthcare but the tradeoff is the higher commission and higher pay so you can maintain your business and support yourself/family. When you buy a route you should factor in healthcare, retirement and truck repair costs. The problem is companies like S-L have set their margins so you can just get by. Very few routes make enough so the IBO can cover the costs I mentioned. And even if they do the route usually requires a second person. Here on the west coast of Florida many routes have to hire a merchandiser to be able to cover the service call requirements. There's just not enough money in these deals to make it work for a person who wants a retirement account and to be able to afford healthcare. I wouldn't advise any young person to ge tin to this industry. It's been ruined by the greedy corporations who care only about the companies stock price and their own bonuses.
Amen brother,couldnt have said it better myself. Wake up SL, hope you came up with some good ideas at the national meetings last week, but I am not holding my breath, we barely have any product in our warehouse to sell, except tube shippers,,WOW!
bbqbob2001

Seagoville, TX

#5695 Sep 15, 2014
Go Friars wrote:
Agree 100%. As a IBO our out of pocket expenses are too much to make it work. One of the main reasons I got out
Pirates

Rochester, NY

#5696 Sep 15, 2014
bbqbob2001 wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree 100%. As a IBO our out of pocket expenses are too much to make it work. One of the main reasons I got out
Personally I have given up airing my grievances, they say they care but their actions speak louder then words. They couldn't care less what your conical issues are involved on running a territory S-L wins
Wharfs for Cape Cod

Shermans Dale, PA

#5697 Sep 16, 2014
Pirates wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally I have given up airing my grievances, they say they care but their actions speak louder then words. They couldn't care less what your conical issues are involved on running a territory S-L wins
The key is to do what you want, when you want. Not what they want, when they want.
Southern family man

Yukon, OK

#5698 Sep 16, 2014
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>
GET IT IN WRITING FIRST! If you can, then great. But I guarantee they will tell you they will have to follow up and get it back to you (after you sign contracts) & it never happens. There are no percentage charts or attachments with your contracts. Promised 17% & 19% with 2% incremental rebate because of rural mileage, but there were no pages in contract stating this agreement. Reality is, only grossing 15% after PMs. It happened to me, and I am finally getting out. It is what is called slow starvation.
What do you mean " only grossing 15% after PMs"? What are PMs?
Southern family man

Yukon, OK

#5699 Sep 16, 2014
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>
I inquired about the %, and was informed that it will be in writing with all other paperwork and with Zone Manager signing off. Also was told that 4% incremental could be taken away at his discretion if the route increased greatly in sales causing multiplier to increases. Currently multiplier is at 1. Route does have quite a bit of driving with most towns only having 3 or 4 accounts in them. Easily could be tripled based on population and available accounts to pickup. I do see most of you guys points about not being as well compensated as could be, but isn't that the way with most jobs? Yes this is to be your own company with all the expenses of such, but at least you don't have a supervisor barking off orders over your shoulder all day. Am I being optimistic, or just naive? I don't want to be be rich, just want to make ends meets. These people are either exceptable to work with or very professional liars. I hope it's the first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Area Trick-or-Treat nights set (Oct '10) Oct 15 JT100uk 40
Fill dirt Aug '17 Ticklish 10
News Hanover-area man charged in child sex sting (Aug '12) Aug '17 Walt 11
Review: Dean's Auto Plaza (Sep '13) Aug '17 Archie 15
Pa. Game commisssion sucks (Nov '11) Aug '17 badcomm 31
News Police log: Subject defecated on a porch Jun '17 Steve Gratman 5
Review: Hanover School Of Ballet (Aug '11) Jun '17 olddancemom 4

Hanover Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance