Snyder's of Hanover
snackguy

Boston, MA

#4936 Nov 26, 2013
Did anyone see there was another class action lawsuit against SL, due to there claimthat some of their products are all natural.
Shorty

Cowpens, SC

#4937 Nov 26, 2013
s-l ibo mentor wrote:
I have been following this topix since the beginning of the change over from employee to IBO. Mostly it seems like a place to vent but no real help. I thought I would put this thread out there to help people with their routes or with any of the new people. My background: 20yrs with S-L(SOH side)run out of a warehouse(no ex. w/ bin) route avg. now 9000-12000wk. I don't have all the answers and not looking for a flame war. Just looking to help
Can you help upper management make better decisions ? They don't take money out of my pockets that's the real problem ..
snacktime

Windsor, WI

#4938 Nov 28, 2013
Heartbreak of Psoriasis wrote:
Can not get straight answer from management or accounting. Can anyone tell me SL's definition of SDV (store door value)? I am still fighting them over 3rd quarter bonus.
Regular value you would sell it to the store for.
Gary

Jefferson, MD

#4939 Nov 28, 2013
Yep
Dce wrote:
What is everyone to busy to complain? You guys are letting me down!
pennsylvania snax

Erie, PA

#4940 Dec 1, 2013
Any rumors out there about snyders working on purchasing another company? been hearing a few things.
pa ram rod

Hanover, PA

#4941 Dec 2, 2013
pennsylvania snax wrote:
Any rumors out there about snyders working on purchasing another company? been hearing a few things.
what have you been hearing
pennsylvania snax

Erie, PA

#4942 Dec 2, 2013
pa ram rod wrote:
<quoted text>what have you been hearing
Well it seems that the rumor mill is running at capacity in this area. Someone mentioned that Snyders is trying to purchase Pepperidge Farm(gold fish branch) and then another guy(an utz sales rep) said that he heard that Snyders and Utz was merging. Just some silliness that I am hearing out here. Its probably all far fetched!
Shorty

Smyrna, SC

#4943 Dec 2, 2013
pennsylvania snax wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it seems that the rumor mill is running at capacity in this area. Someone mentioned that Snyders is trying to purchase Pepperidge Farm(gold fish branch) and then another guy(an utz sales rep) said that he heard that Snyders and Utz was merging. Just some silliness that I am hearing out here. Its probably all far fetched!
man we are getting bent over on these Walmart cross docks .. 20 cases of chocolates is what 900 bucks got paid 92 dollars , should 162 minus maybe 20 bucks for allowance so where did the other 50 go ? Freakin crooks !
pennsylvania snax

Erie, PA

#4944 Dec 2, 2013
Shorty wrote:
<quoted text> man we are getting bent over on these Walmart cross docks .. 20 cases of chocolates is what 900 bucks got paid 92 dollars , should 162 minus maybe 20 bucks for allowance so where did the other 50 go ? Freakin crooks !
Not to mention, when the manager tells you to get it out in a week or so you do it at full price so we actually lose money on the situation. Cross docks suck!
Chipman

Seminole, FL

#4945 Dec 3, 2013
pennsylvania snax wrote:
<quoted text>
Have been hearing the same 2 here in Florida
Wharfs for cap cod

Hanover, PA

#4946 Dec 4, 2013
Don't ever take that stuff out of Walmart. That product is theirs. If it stales, it is theirs. Your an idiot if you take it out. I don't look at us aquiring another company as a good thing. We can't get product consistently now. It's as bad as I've ever seen. Adding another company would create an even bigger clusterf##k.
Shorty

Charlotte, NC

#4947 Dec 4, 2013
Wharfs for cap cod wrote:
Don't ever take that stuff out of Walmart. That product is theirs. If it stales, it is theirs. Your an idiot if you take it out. I don't look at us aquiring another company as a good thing. We can't get product consistently now. It's as bad as I've ever seen. Adding another company would create an even bigger clusterf##k.
yeah they need to promote the stuff we have now better .. December promotions are terrible 4th quarter results come out in feb shit will hit the fan
snackfood guru

New Kensington, PA

#4948 Dec 5, 2013
when selling a part of your route back to SNL
do you need to do a inventory of product? do you sell back whole rt firstto SNL

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4949 Dec 7, 2013
They tell us that we are the number 2 salty snack distributor but they are micro managing everything that it's hurting business. They need to just focus on SNyders-Lance lines and get us the product we need before acquiring another company that we wouldn't get to sell too. Whether its a bin or warehouse they have serious stock problems. I consistently cut 10-15 cases a wk and it just gets accepted to say we cant be perfect.
Shorty

Rock Hill, SC

#4950 Dec 7, 2013
snackfood guru wrote:
when selling a part of your route back to SNL
do you need to do a inventory of product? do you sell back whole rt firstto SNL
inventory has nothing to do with selling a couple of stops off ..
whoisthis

Webster, NY

#4951 Dec 7, 2013
BfloPretzKing wrote:
They tell us that we are the number 2 salty snack distributor but they are micro managing everything that it's hurting business. They need to just focus on SNyders-Lance lines and get us the product we need before acquiring another company that we wouldn't get to sell too. Whether its a bin or warehouse they have serious stock problems. I consistently cut 10-15 cases a wk and it just gets accepted to say we cant be perfect.
Must be bonus time for dm's,, one dm wants to have meetings with each individual IBO to go over ways to increase business. The only reason they take any interest in IBO's is to fatten their bonuses....give the bonus to the people who are really busting their asses...the IBO. And do not come back with "they have a bonus system in place" That's a bogus system, not bonus....and anyone that thinks otherwise is a damn fool....
just trying to get by

United States

#4952 Dec 8, 2013
End of 4th quarter and from what I hear the company sales are down across the board. If this conts, expect some changes. And from experience changes always mean they are planning to screw us over somehow.
Northeast Snackman

Sharon, MA

#4953 Dec 8, 2013
Along with many of the verterans on here, I've been on this thread for a long time. I've had to hold back on so many comments about the people who did not do their due diligence before they all got into this business. All the complaining about S-L not giving out bonuses or doing anything to help YOUR business. You can't have it both ways. Are you a company person or a business owner?

From my understanding, corporate company people receive bonuses as incentives to go above and beyond quotas. As a so called IBO you really need INCENTIVE to build your so called business? S_L is offereing the bonus program for the people who don't think like IBO's and are trying to generate more sales so they can keep their superiors happy.

Like many have said before, the people who didn't do their due diligence research before purchasing a route. And the ones who have read some/all of the posts on here and still purchased a route, you're a moron. Snyders and Lance were much better as separate companies. Lance people say Snyder's was a bad deal and vice versa. I was on the Snyders side. All I know is we were constantly growing making 20% commission. Things were far from perfect. There was alot of pushing back and forth with the micromanaging. It didn't work cause the people I was around treated their business like owners.

After the merger, S-L sold to a bunch of inexperienced people who scraped up money to purchase a dead territory. The newbies don't know the product line, price, and demografic of sales. What makes you think if you carry a highend product in a low income area your product will sell over a much cheaper private label, in which this area only makes 10% on? And you call yourself a business owner? You're just a bunch of dreamers who fell for the sales pitch of owning your own business. Cause if you truly believe you signed up to own your own business I've got pallets of non melt chocolate covered pretzels you can sell in the summer months.

The concept with being an IBO should be all on YOU. What YOU put into it YOU will get. The harder YOU work the more YOU make. The faster YOU work the faster YOU get home.

Like I've said previously, demographics is relevent to sales. In Massachusetts and many other places we are thriving. People did their due diligence research and not listen to the stupid banter of management's lip service. No different than car salesman who will tell you everything you want to hear just to get you to buy a junker. S-L is the worst cause other than your home this is probably the biggest purchase of your life.

Would you invest $100,000 in stocks and bonds before researching them? I'll answer that and say no! So why would one purchase a crap shoot snack route? If you say yes, i have a great financial advisor who would take a chance with your $100,000.

Enough said. For all of you who is not succeeding in this tough business and are not fulfilled and feel cheated I am sorry. Both companies were better before the merger. They're not going back so make some hard decisions and either do things differently to succeed or try to move on.

Happy Holidays. 2014 is a new year and hopefully will be a new beginning..........
Lance in my paints

United States

#4954 Dec 8, 2013
Northeast Snackman wrote:
Along with many of the verterans on here, I've been on this thread for a long time. I've had to hold back on so many comments about the people who did not do their due diligence before they all got into this business. All the complaining about S-L not giving out bonuses or doing anything to help YOUR business. You can't have it both ways. Are you a company person or a business owner?
From my understanding, corporate company people receive bonuses as incentives to go above and beyond quotas. As a so called IBO you really need INCENTIVE to build your so called business? S_L is offereing the bonus program for the people who don't think like IBO's and are trying to generate more sales so they can keep their superiors happy.
Like many have said before, the people who didn't do their due diligence research before purchasing a route. And the ones who have read some/all of the posts on here and still purchased a route, you're a moron. Snyders and Lance were much better as separate companies. Lance people say Snyder's was a bad deal and vice versa. I was on the Snyders side. All I know is we were constantly growing making 20% commission. Things were far from perfect. There was alot of pushing back and forth with the micromanaging. It didn't work cause the people I was around treated their business like owners.
After the merger, S-L sold to a bunch of inexperienced people who scraped up money to purchase a dead territory. The newbies don't know the product line, price, and demografic of sales. What makes you think if you carry a highend product in a low income area your product will sell over a much cheaper private label, in which this area only makes 10% on? And you call yourself a business owner? You're just a bunch of dreamers who fell for the sales pitch of owning your own business. Cause if you truly believe you signed up to own your own business I've got pallets of non melt chocolate covered pretzels you can sell in the summer months.
The concept with being an IBO should be all on YOU. What YOU put into it YOU will get. The harder YOU work the more YOU make. The faster YOU work the faster YOU get home.
Like I've said previously, demographics is relevent to sales. In Massachusetts and many other places we are thriving. People did their due diligence research and not listen to the stupid banter of management's lip service. No different than car salesman who will tell you everything you want to hear just to get you to buy a junker. S-L is the worst cause other than your home this is probably the biggest purchase of your life.
Would you invest $100,000 in stocks and bonds before researching them? I'll answer that and say no! So why would one purchase a crap shoot snack route? If you say yes, i have a great financial advisor who would take a chance with your $100,000.
Enough said. For all of you who is not succeeding in this tough business and are not fulfilled and feel cheated I am sorry. Both companies were better before the merger. They're not going back so make some hard decisions and either do things differently to succeed or try to move on.
Happy Holidays. 2014 is a new year and hopefully will be a new beginning..........
I agree with alot of the book u just typed ... My problem they have alot of our growth in their hands and with not competing with frito gay on promotions especially this last quarter why would numbers be up ??
Northeast Snackman

Sharon, MA

#4955 Dec 8, 2013
Lance in my paints wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with alot of the book u just typed ... My problem they have alot of our growth in their hands and with not competing with frito gay on promotions especially this last quarter why would numbers be up ??

I know people around here that care about the time they get home than making more money. They're content. They look at it like, "Why bust my ass for $25-50/week in a convenient store that complains all the time, while i can bring in $1000-3000 in a supermarket with all cases?" They are happy grossing $75-80,000/year. Does the supervisors for S-L push and try to tell IBO's what to do, when to do it, and how to do it? Yes. It's a daily struggle with supervisors, but as long as shelves look full, store managers are happy, S-L can do nothing. Are there times S-L sabotage IBO's? Yes.

Like everyone from this area will tell you location is half the battle. Where there is money S-L will sell. Some people have trouble selling the Wise line cause it's considered a low end line. Cape Cod sell great in this area. It sells better than Snyders items, which management hates to see here cause they concentrate on Snyders items. They will never admit it though. Basically, IBO's sell what moves the best, and the what has the bes commission. If Snyders and private label were on sale at the same time what items would people push? 18% Snyder items or 10% private Label items?

This business is not for everyone. It's sad S-L is a public company now. You are like a prisoner with just a number now. it's not "Hello, how are you doing today" anymore. It's "how are your numbers? What are you averaging? How can YOU get your average up?"
There's no use in saying let the mgmt run a route and see how they fear. It's a known fact mgmt CAN"T do the work IBO's can. For the ones who started on a truck? I know for a fact the averages were in the $3000-5000 range for just Bostaon Popcorn with only 7 flavors way back in the day. There will always be 2 kinds of people. Takers and givers. Corporate will always take, and whether IBO's like it or not we will always give. 20% down to 19.5%, down to 18% now.

In S-L minds "It's mind over matter. We don't mind, and you don't matter." These words were told by a senior person to a "friend" a LONG time ago when they were friends. it shows some people forgot where they came from.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Dean's Auto Plaza (Sep '13) Jul 10 Truthfull1 11
Review: Happy Nails Jul 8 George Costanza 2
News Heroin sentence 12 years (Jun '10) Jun '15 gab 93
Snyder lance May '15 Torts 3
News 12-time DUI repeater gets up to 7 years in prison (Sep '08) Apr '15 Trista Biddle 23
News Half Pint Creamery plans second ice cream shop Mar '15 Fannie Pak 2
Second eagle Mar '15 Vlossak 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hanover Mortgages