Goldston, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Mini Me wrote:
<quoted text> I was reading your commet to my husband and it sounds alot like us, we to have a route and we run it together and are successful at it. I saw you are in the NC area and was wondering how I could get in touch with someone up there to see if there were any routes open for sale by the company. My husbands mom has just been diagnosed with some health issues and they live Suffolk, Va. and we would like to possibly move to the area to be closer to them. Thank you for your response.
We have a route in Jacksonville NC for sale.

Since: May 12

Goldston, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

george wrote:
r u walking away or selling it??
Selling it but may just walk away cause we just cant afford to keep on like this... The route was over valued when we purchased it (not knowing) Then find out it really only does about $2000 less a week than they valued. We gave our 60day notice like required in the contract but if we are going to end up owing anyways, no need to drag it out any longer...

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

Learn ur lesson wrote:
Funny how ppl complain about their jobs yet wanna cry the blues when a large company closes it doors. Hmmmmm havent a lessened been learned from the Twinkies Co? Act like a Company owes you everything n the next thing you know your running around boo hooing that you have no job. You dont think your bosses are not reading this? Why give extra dollars out as a bonus when they see ppl dogging them??
You couldn't have it more wrong. Working for Wonder/Hostess back when Continental Baking owned them was a good job. You got paid a good wage, had healthcare and a pension. A good American job. Then IBC bought them, leveraged them to the max, corporate paid themselves huge salaries while trying to cut the wages and benefits of their employees. Plus they didn't invest in the company itself. Equipment got old, their brand didn't change with the times. Now they want their employees to work for Wal Mart wages. It's just another example of how the blue collar American worker is getting screwed by white collar corporate America. I'm really sick of attitudes like yours, blaming good hard working men and women instead of the selfish, greedy aholes that bought the company.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

wow !!!! congratulations !!!! 90,000 gross !!!! fantastic !!!!

you must avg over 12-14,000/wk sales to be pullin that buddy. sorry but i highly doubt it. in fact i think you cant add or flat out lying. 1700/wk after route payment LMAO !!!!!!

i dont know whats funnier in your post, 90,000 LARGE or the 3 DMs there for no other reason than to help you. funny stuff, please keep posting.
AMBMAK wrote:
I'VE BEEN WITH SNYDERS IN HICKORY N.C. 4YRS NOW. I LEFT IN AUGUST 2011 FOR 7 MONTHS WHEN THEY WERE MAKING US EQUITABLE IO'S, BIG MISTAKE, THE JOB I TOOK WAS A MISERY. I PURCHASED A RTE THAT HAD 5 OR 6 STOPS THAT I SERVICED BEFORE I LEFT SO I KNEW THE PEOPLE WHICH WAS GREAT. I PURCHASED THE RTE AT A WEEKLY SALES RATE OF $8200.00, I HAVE TO SAY, I HAVE NEVER DONE $8200.00 IN FACT, I'VE NEVER DONE LESS THAN $8600.00 !!! MY WIFE WORKS WITH ME SHE DOES MOST OF THE LANCE CRACKERS, I DO THE SNYDERS WISE END OF IT AND DO ALL THE ORDERING AND INVENTORY. I AM VERY HAPPY TO SAY WE WILL PROBABLY GROSS AROUND $87,000-$90,000 THIS YEAR...THATS AFTER THE RTE PAYMENT WHICH IS VERY EXPENSIVE. I'VE BEEN IN THE SALTY SNACK BUISINESS FOR 17 YEARS AND I COULD NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, BE HAPPIER !!! IF YOU USE SOME COMMON SENSE AND MANAGE YOUR INVENTORY YOU CAN MAKE A VERY GOOD LIVING. WE ARE VERY LUCKY ALSO TO HAVE 3 DM'S WHO ARE THERE FOR NO OTHER REASON BUT TO HELP YOU. I LOVE THIS BUISINESS AND I LOVE MY RTE AND COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH SNYDERS-LANCE.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

bosses ?

btw, a company owes employees fair wages or their employees might just shut the place down. try to collect another 200 million in bonuses interstate owners all the while cutting your employees to min wage. they better off collecting unemployment than working 50+ hrs for 4-500 bucks. piss off ! this is what SOH distributors should have done but for good reasons didnt or couldnt.

so to you mr corporate man, i hope you learn your lesson.
Learn ur lesson wrote:
Funny how ppl complain about their jobs yet wanna cry the blues when a large company closes it doors. Hmmmmm havent a lessened been learned from the Twinkies Co? Act like a Company owes you everything n the next thing you know your running around boo hooing that you have no job. You dont think your bosses are not reading this? Why give extra dollars out as a bonus when they see ppl dogging them??

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

AMBMAK
You are right. Many of the people on here use these boards to vent.
When people decide to purchase their own business, they should research it a bit and see if it is right for them, but most people just jump right in looking for a quick paycheck.
You have to look at the area you are purchasing, see if it has growth potential or not. Some areas will not grow while others will not. I am fortunate to have purchased a route in an area that I predict will grow rapidly over the next 10 years. That's why I bought the route that I did. I knew that I could increase sales 15% to 20% immediatly and that I expect my area to grow from here on population and household income.
I know several people who are not doing so well, but in almost every case ( not all cases but most ), they are not willing to put the effort in to their route to make it successful. Most of them want to work 5 hours a day for 4 to 5 days per week and spend the rest of the time fishing etc... That would be great .... the American Dream.
Is that you driving that truck and trailer to those Walmarts in Granite and Hickory? Wow....your wife....what a FOX!!!!!!!( Didn't know they had foxes in New Jersey. No wonder you are such a happy camper.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

AMBMAK
You are right. Many of the people on here use these boards to vent.
When people decide to purchase their own business, they should research it a bit and see if it is right for them, but most people just jump right in looking for a quick paycheck.
You have to look at the area you are purchasing, see if it has growth potential or not. Some areas will not grow while others will not. I am fortunate to have purchased a route in an area that I predict will grow rapidly over the next 10 years. That's why I bought the route that I did. I knew that I could increase sales 15% to 20% immediatly and that I expect my area to grow from here on population and household income.
I know several people who are not doing so well, but in almost every case ( not all cases but most ), they are not willing to put the effort in to their route to make it successful. Most of them want to work 5 hours a day for 4 to 5 days per week and spend the rest of the time fishing etc... That would be great .... the American Dream.
Northeast Snackman

Sharon, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

People who want to give this joba try to at least move up here in the northeast. At least we make 18%. And if you work out of the Rhode Island warehouse you can work under an incompetant alcoholic who still drives to the Foxboro warehouse cause he's so drunk half the time he doesn't know what warehouse he belongs in. Explanation for the shakes? "It's cold." Really, in the summer?
There are people making money in this business, but they are working more hours for less than before the merger. Ask round to see how many people sold since the merger. If this was so profitable why are people with monster routes selling?
Alot of veterans and others are trapped in this business due to their skills and the economy. Others walking in didn't know how it was so they think they're making a killing. Ask the people who tried to dodge uncle sam by cheating on their taxes. Just a matter time before the irs takes a look at his peers.
this forum has gone from expressing concerns to just back and forth bs. I feel bad for the people who didn't do their research before making the jump to purchase their routes. Until there is unity with the IBO's all you will have is this forum......
Clocker

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

NE, can you give me the address of the RI warehouse? I'm going back home for Christmas and would like to see what it's like.
snackguy

Medford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Clocker wrote:
NE, can you give me the address of the RI warehouse? I'm going back home for Christmas and would like to see what it's like.
try foxboro warehouse right down street from stadium 2 annette dr.
CapeCodChipMan

Gainesville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

While the whole S-L "Merger has been a cluster phuck, to say the least....

I worked for Lance for 6 years, left for 2 and came back 3 months before the Go-Live date here in Florida in July 2011. I was offered a part of my old route, where I was always in the Lance Elite Club, but looking at the numbers that were run, they were after I left and the Temp guy let the route run down.

I "bought" 21 stores averaging $7200 a week. 5 Big Box stores, 10 Charge C-Stores and 6 Cash stops(5 still open, 1 closed after S_L ran numbers). Now I am up to 46 Accounts and averaging $11,000 in weekly sales.

There is money to be made in this, just have to manage inventory right, know the product line, demographics,, market trends, upcoming sales and the code dates at the warehouses.

Training? What's that? Lance took PRIDE in the fact that they had one of the best and longest training programs in the industry....4 weeks. Product, planograms, Store personnel and customer service. Now.....So you want to buy a route....great, sign here and have fun. I recently took over 3 stops from another IO who didnt want the cash accounts anymore(only doing $30 a week in sales). After 5 minutes in each account, the problem was obvious...No brand flow, no package or flavor mix and no smart placement of the right items(No pork skins, Nacho Rings or Fries in the Ghetto??)

I sit every morning with a cup of coffee and manually enter the previous day's invoices into QuickBooks Pro(Ross is still working on a plug in to do this automatically) and I can track sales, market trends or anything else that the Management at S-L can't or wont do.

When I go to the warehouse to reload, I usually average $500 or less on my truck and load back up only what I know I will need until my next trip. If product is on my truck longer than my deferment, then I haven't made any money on it. I carry around a list of all product and write down what I NEED to pull from the warehouse, knowing it will be off my truck the next day.

I have also created a spreadsheet, which allows me to track my loads, sales, promos, stales, loan payment, truck payment and the other fees, so at the end of the week, I know how much I owe the company for that week. The only thing that no one seems to be able to figure out is the 2% incremental margin, which just lowers the amount due.

The biggest issues are how Management hasn't been crossed trained between the 2 companies, most SoH DMs never took the time to learn the C-Store side of the business and only focus on the Grocery side. Maybe a little less time on the golf course and more time in the market would have helped. So many times I walk into a C-Store and find 4 flavors of chips..Just 4! Wonder why the store isn't doing what it should? 8 Flavors of Cape Cod, 9 Flavors of Tom's, 2 Fries, Nacho Rings, 8 Pork Skins, 3 Bugles.......Mix it up ...

Lance was notorious for Micro Managing....Distribution, Service Compliance, Sales Trends and the best one....Weekly Conference Calls about upcoming sales. Fixtures? At Lance...need one...sure..here you go. Happy Selling. At S-L, good luck getting one.(Still waiting on a Capetian Wafer Rack from 3 months ago)

Clocker

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Thanks snackguy. That would be in Mass. While Foxboro is not far from the border I can't see RI distributors running out of there. I tried looking up a warehouse in RI but came up empty.
Clocker

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

CCCM, you obviously are running your route the way it should be run. Like a business. IMO the #1 reason distributors fail is they have an attitude like an employee instead of a businessman. Now don't take this the wrong way, but I'm wondering how you service all those accounts out of 1 truck. 5 big box stores would have to be done 5 times a week by guidelines set here. The DM's even have a service report they throw at the ID's when they don't meet the companies standard. 5 stores should take you 7-8 hours. Then you start your C stores. You must be working 12+ hours a day, 6 days (7?). Then add your computer work at home and loading the truck. You're devoting a huge part of your life to this.

Before the merge I made 17%. Under the new contract the guys tell me it's been knocked down to 14-15%. I know C-stores pay higher. It sounds like you're pretty content. Do you have anytime for a life outside of S-L? Is it worth it?
Sc chip

Columbia, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Let me let you all in on something... Ok so about the whole paycheck thing. I had the same problem that most of you are having. The first few weeks I was doing this I wasn't bringing in a lot and I was having to pay back money. So here's what I do to compensate for that... This will only work if you're on 7day terms. I let my market sell way down the first week. Week 2 I slam it up. I'll do like double what I would normally. I do this to generate a HUGE paycheck. I'll put it in numbers for you week one I sell $2000 worth of product and I get no paycheck. Week two I sell $10000 worth of product (these are just examples). After the second week ill have generated an $8000 paycheck. The key is to sell everything you buy. The most I've gotten was $14300 from doing this. You'll still have to watch your spending cause after 28 days they'll want to collect a balance if you have one but at least the ball is in your court and not thiers.
CapeCodChipMan

Gainesville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Clocker wrote:
CCCM, you obviously are running your route the way it should be run. Like a business. IMO the #1 reason distributors fail is they have an attitude like an employee instead of a businessman. Now don't take this the wrong way, but I'm wondering how you service all those accounts out of 1 truck. 5 big box stores would have to be done 5 times a week by guidelines set here. The DM's even have a service report they throw at the ID's when they don't meet the companies standard. 5 stores should take you 7-8 hours. Then you start your C stores. You must be working 12+ hours a day, 6 days (7?). Then add your computer work at home and loading the truck. You're devoting a huge part of your life to this.
Before the merge I made 17%. Under the new contract the guys tell me it's been knocked down to 14-15%. I know C-stores pay higher. It sounds like you're pretty content. Do you have anytime for a life outside of S-L? Is it worth it?
Not all Big Box Stores get 5 day a week service. Publix only one gets 5 day, the other(based on sales) gets 4. Winn Dixie,Sweetbay get twice a week, Wal Mart 3 times.

Tuesday, Friday (days after loading at DC) Huge Box store day, light on C stores. If you manage your time and route properly, the Big Box stores shouldn't take more than an hour each(Stuck behind 5 venodrs at Wal Mart?? Re-route it to make it later or earlier to avoid the wait.

I am running out of one truck...one of the Cape Cod Logo ones from Lance. Reset the shelving to be able to hold ALL of the single serve line chips, skins, corn products, peanuts, crackers on one side, use the other side of truck for Bulk storage and back stock(no shelving) At times the loads can be tight, but after a few big box stops..it is workable and soon, it is empty again.

Every morning I wills tart about 3am. Hit a 24 hour Kangaroo(service and refill the coffee), then off to Publix by 4am.

Time management is just as much a part of this business as inventory management.

I usually only am out on road about 45 hours a week(Selling time) Load days add about 6 hours to that since the DC is 40 minutes away. Computer time varies, maybe 30 minutes a day. But the Computer time is worth it compared to listening to the DM say that he cant run numbers because the 2 systems didnt merge together yet.(Its been almost 2 years now...all the data is on one server..Doh!)

Besides...the more I work and sell ,the more I will make in the long run. I am already looking for a 2nd truck to split the route and continue to expand the route and products available to customers. I dont mint working 60+ hours a week. I dont golf or fish, so this is like a good hobby instead.
i m over it

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

CapeCodChipMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all Big Box Stores get 5 day a week service. Publix only one gets 5 day, the other(based on sales) gets 4. Winn Dixie,Sweetbay get twice a week, Wal Mart 3 times.
Tuesday, Friday (days after loading at DC) Huge Box store day, light on C stores. If you manage your time and route properly, the Big Box stores shouldn't take more than an hour each(Stuck behind 5 venodrs at Wal Mart?? Re-route it to make it later or earlier to avoid the wait.
I am running out of one truck...one of the Cape Cod Logo ones from Lance. Reset the shelving to be able to hold ALL of the single serve line chips, skins, corn products, peanuts, crackers on one side, use the other side of truck for Bulk storage and back stock(no shelving) At times the loads can be tight, but after a few big box stops..it is workable and soon, it is empty again.
Every morning I wills tart about 3am. Hit a 24 hour Kangaroo(service and refill the coffee), then off to Publix by 4am.
Time management is just as much a part of this business as inventory management.
I usually only am out on road about 45 hours a week(Selling time) Load days add about 6 hours to that since the DC is 40 minutes away. Computer time varies, maybe 30 minutes a day. But the Computer time is worth it compared to listening to the DM say that he cant run numbers because the 2 systems didnt merge together yet.(Its been almost 2 years now...all the data is on one server..Doh!)
Besides...the more I work and sell ,the more I will make in the long run. I am already looking for a 2nd truck to split the route and continue to expand the route and products available to customers. I dont mint working 60+ hours a week. I dont golf or fish, so this is like a good hobby instead.
want ever i work 6 day a week im lucky to make a check whats her name in bendover f s it up every week always adding loads to the wrong week i dont care if you are one two three four or seven day terms you are f..ked working here
snackguy

Haverhill, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

Cccm that great that you like working all those hours. SL would like to have more people like you. But some of us have things called wife's and children that we would like to spend time with. I know working all those hour is not conducive to having a good family life. So you have to ask your self which is more important SL with all the bs they put you through or your family? I figured out which was more important to me.
Snackman

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Judged:

been doing this for 8 months now and the margins arent enough, 17% net is barely paying all the bills , after allow payback its like between 14 and 15% we have to stand up together to get this changed. Before the merger it was 19.5% why did they change it . To make the shareholders happy, this is total bs, if the ibo's arent making it then the company will fail. Stand up for yourselves
whadda joke

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Judged:

CapeCodChipMan - you my friend are a knucklehead. I am working half the hours you are and still making way more per hour than you Have fun selling all that single serve!! LOL. Yes, I am sure you are a "hero" according to Snyders-Lance but the rest of us look at guys like you and say "sheesh"?? Im laughing so hard I can barely type. Just think if Snyders-Lance put as much effort into you as you are into them??

Keep up the good work, you really should try another hobby - obviously you have no life.
Gotafatlanceinmy jeans

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

whadda joke wrote:
CapeCodChipMan - you my friend are a knucklehead. I am working half the hours you are and still making way more per hour than you Have fun selling all that single serve!! LOL. Yes, I am sure you are a "hero" according to Snyders-Lance but the rest of us look at guys like you and say "sheesh"?? Im laughing so hard I can barely type. Just think if Snyders-Lance put as much effort into you as you are into them??
Keep up the good work, you really should try another hobby - obviously you have no life.
don't forget the other 2 hours a week he washes his useless dm's vw bug ... Lol

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Hanover Forum right now

Search the Hanover Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 3 hr Global Warming Laugher 3,825
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Jul 28 T Wolf 51,196
Suburban Life: Towns band together to share lov... Jul 25 Fitus T Bluster 2
bulllys at the work place. Jul 15 robert 1
State police probing pistol theft in Adams County Jul 14 Marilyn Newcomer 1
Paradise School 'riot': Police arrest six students (Apr '08) Jul 10 alan decker 29
Free Fourth of July fireworks shows (Jun '09) Jul 4 need to know 23
•••
•••
•••
•••

Hanover Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hanover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE