Fire company cancels Parkville carnival

Fire company cancels Parkville carnival

There are 13 comments on the Evening Sun story from Feb 2, 2008, titled Fire company cancels Parkville carnival. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Shrieks of joy from whirling rides and the smell of carnival food will be just a memory for the patch of land behind the Parkville Fire Station on Baltimore Street in Hanover.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

ladyamydz

Harrisburg, PA

#1 Feb 2, 2008
I suspect we'll end up w/ more houses built at this site???
past-ff

Haddonfield, NJ

#2 Feb 2, 2008
I would not think on the fire company property per say because the front area is business or apartment. Perhaps the small section to the very rear where houses are already. It is unfortunate that in the immediate Hanover area the fire company is not the family oriented hub that it used to be years ago. We asked for changes with development etc and we got it with less and less people volunteering every year. This organization now called the Penn Township Volunteer Emergency Services has done everything they can to survive. SHould they do this to provide social events for the public or for fire and emergency medical service to the community. In talking with some of them they have expressed how much heat they have taken from the public about cutting back on certain social events. Where was the public to help put on these social events? Yes the cotizens did come spend money at the events but today that is not enough. Lets think about something, if not for these small handful of people what do you think your taxes would be for a fully staffed fire and medical service. Lets give these fine group of men and woman a chance before making judgement.
knows where the db are

United States

#3 Feb 2, 2008
Penn Twp Taxpayers hold onto your hats. A gigantic tax increase is on its way. Also with the township being a co-signer, and no social hall, guess who's gonna default, and guess who will be paying!!! Taxpayers thats who.
PTFD VOLLY

Haddonfield, NJ

#4 Feb 2, 2008
knows where the db are wrote:
Penn Twp Taxpayers hold onto your hats. A gigantic tax increase is on its way. Also with the township being a co-signer, and no social hall, guess who's gonna default, and guess who will be paying!!! Taxpayers thats who.
Why is it when a community organization trys to make things easier on themselves and the surrounding commniuty most people in the community worry about their taxes? The building project is being funded 50% or more by the sale of the current properties. The rest will come from other fundraisers, income and dontations. As I said before this is NOT your fathers fire department. We can not do things the same way we did them 50+ years ago. Don't you folks think they looked at the mortgage payments and their income to see if they could afford it? If they have proven that they can survive and pay the mortgage on current funds and income why are you so worried about your taxes? I would worry more about how the current budget year cuts are going impact next years budget. And even if something would go bad and the township had to step in, they would end up with a 5 million dollar building for less than 2 million. I am no master of money matters but that, to me, is a pretty good deal for the township. But I really dont think the taxpayer needs to worry about that. Come on give them/us a chance.
past-ff

Haddonfield, NJ

#5 Feb 2, 2008
db you certainly worry about your tax dollars to live in a municipality that has the lowest tax base in the area. Take a look at your school atxes that you will pay the entire time you live in the chool district regardless if you have children in school or not. What will you get out of that. Quit complainng and either donate money or your time. Again the biggest complainers about any volunteer organization comes from those that don't and won't volunteer
Hosebeater

Harrisburg, PA

#6 Feb 2, 2008
Can't believe they are doing this, where is their community concerns??? It seems to me all this so called volunteer bunch is worried about is the money. What about the people and history? tradition? The ole mighty dollar is all that matters even after the most profitable year 2007 they want to end this. Watch out taxpayers all the volunteers see mto want paid. That will cost a nice amout of our dollars.
bronco

Phoenix, AZ

#7 Feb 3, 2008
Well, I remember when the people in the community helped the fire departments with their carnivals. I remember when the city council helped with setting things up. Ya'll should be lucky you have volunteer firemen, and don't have to be taxed to have a paid fire department personnel. You complain about taxes, have a paid fire department and THEN complain about your taxes. These awesome volunteers CARE about you and the community more than PAID firemen. I have seen a paid fire department, just get in their trucks and ride around the community. What a waste of gas, for joyriding. Feel VERY priveleged you have people who care about you enough to volunteer their time and services to keep you safe. Their only means of getting just that little bit extra money in their budgets is to have a carnival or firehall dinner. I grew up with these wonderful traditions. I now live in a metropolitan area and while the firemen care, they do not do half as much for the community, unless they are paid. So, if your fire departments equipment goes bad, and they don't have the money to get it fixed because that money they would have extra from the carnival isn't there, don't complain when they are a little later getting to YOUR house on fire or YOUR family in an auto accident. Bless those wonderful volunteers, help out more. Keep the traditions alive. Progress is wonderful, but traditions live on forever, unless we become shortsighted too much about ourselves and our pocketbooks or wallets.
bubbles

Clarksville, MD

#8 Feb 3, 2008
I guess now that their is not going to be a social hall there will be no bingo along with no carnival. There are going to be very disappointed people in the community. The fire company can do other things to help raise money and continue to have a carnival there are many other fire departments in the area which do so. If getting volunteers is the problem then do something to promote volutering.Even is someone only gives one hour of there time its better than not giving any time at all. I do not live in the community anymore however I am a common visitor. What this community needs is a place for the younger generation to hang out instead of racing cars up and down einsenhower drive. Get this kids involved in volunterring.
Always There

Mechanicsburg, PA

#9 Feb 3, 2008
First tradition is being carried on its called fire fighting not providing social events. Has anyone asked any of the members a specific question " what is your intentions in the future"
I did and got a very good response. Apparently they own more land to the rear of the station but presently do not have access to it right now becasue of the elevation. They plan to build a building similar to what the New Oxford Social Club has where they can hold fundraisers. They can not do this until the developer put the roadway in when he starts his development. I asked why they didn't wait until then to build and I was told several good reasons with costs going up, the thousands of dollars paid out in utility bills just to keep the old stations open and not enough room to put everything in one building. Volunteers is a dying breed in all organizations and for people to come in and just volunteer to make money is going to be unheard of. If you should choose to be a firefighter there is a 160 hours plus of traing provided by the State just to begin to ride fire apparatus. I'll bet people didn't know that and its not becasue the fire company wants to require it. You see I believe in asking questions rather than make assumptions like some of the people do on this rant. I also asked about the carnival and was told it can make money but if bad weather can loose many thousand dollars, you see they have to guarantee money to the ride people, bands etc again something I bet people didn't know. Perhaps instead of complaining and crtizising stop by and help or give a donation to the proud group that serves their community
Amazing

Marysville, OH

#10 Feb 3, 2008
I have to agree with Always there! Volunteers are a dying breed!! Probably because we have become a "ME" society. It is really sad that we don't think more of others than ourselves! And you are right there is a lot going into being a volunteer fire fighter! You and all that give of their time and efforts have all my respect! Thank you!!!!
Kirk

Middletown, PA

#11 Feb 3, 2008
Some very good comments and then there are the ones made by db and hosebeater. Do you know why the township co-signed on the loan? Are you familiar with the township and fire company budgets? How much net income has been generated in the past from the social hall? You will continue to be clueless until you ask.
Always There

Haddonfield, NJ

#12 Feb 4, 2008
I did ask that also. The township co-signed the loan to make it affordable for the volunteers apparently they received a loan called non taxable with the grace of DECD at I belive 2% less than a conventional loan they could get on their own. That is considerable savings over a twenty year loan. I was not given figures of exact finances but told the gas bills alone for all three places were more than $ 4,000.00 for December and it wasn't even cold. I guess the old buildings use a lot of gas. That probably takes all the profit they make at bingo in a month just to pay a gas bill. I am sure the township reviewed the finances before co-signing a loan but lets look at it another way isn't it a partnership in emergecny services. The township helps them and the fire company helps the community save money in fire protection. I think these people are doing everything they can to survive just as everyone would do in their own homes
Kirk

Middletown, PA

#13 Feb 4, 2008
Thanks to Always There for doing the homework on this issue. I look at this site for additional information on articles and have gotten it on this issue. Some cry that the sky is falling, this looks like a win win situation for both parties. Keep in mind, the fire company is not about bingo, carnivals, etc. but about fire, rescue and EMS services not only today but in the future. Hats off to the many volunteers who work to protect our property and lives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) Thu SnackTime 7,341
News Police log: Subject defecated on a porch Jun 26 Steve Gratman 5
Fill dirt Jun '17 Steve Gratman 6
Review: Hanover School Of Ballet (Aug '11) Jun '17 olddancemom 4
News 13 nabbed in prostitution bust (Mar '08) Jun '17 Anonymous 46
News Klan plans rallies in Pa. (Aug '06) Jun '17 Fitus T Bluster 378
News Photos: Annual shearing day at Littlestown alpacaa May '17 Fitus busted sphi... 2

Hanover Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hanover Mortgages