ESAB to shut plants

Full story: Evening Sun 50
The parent company of a local welding and cutting tools manufacturer said Wednesday it would be permanently closing two factories and temporarily shuttering two others worldwide in a move to cut costs in the difficult economy. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
I am smart

Mount Aetna, PA

#1 Jun 11, 2009
I bet they wish they had that mandatory overtime right now that they cried about some months ago.
So it begins

Lancaster, PA

#2 Jun 11, 2009
Union bashing again.

Little help for ya- how about you work an eight hour shift and then get told you have to work another four, or even eight hours, because somebody didn't show up or called in sick?

Cancel dinner and tell your kid you'll see him play next game.

Is that worth striking for? Not all strikes are bad.
not surprised

Hunt Valley, MD

#3 Jun 11, 2009
I bet the people who didnt take the buy outs wish they did.
My thoughts

Moorestown, NJ

#4 Jun 11, 2009
Regardless of if you are for unions or not this sucks. I hope they can keep the Hanover plant open. Everyday it gets worse and worse. I don't think its going to get any better anytime soon. Good luck.
Johnny Lingonberry

Scranton, PA

#5 Jun 11, 2009
"I am not smart" what in the world does mandatory ot have to do with the global economy?
am in pa

New Columbia, PA

#6 Jun 11, 2009
So it begins wrote:
Union bashing again.
Little help for ya- how about you work an eight hour shift and then get told you have to work another four, or even eight hours, because somebody didn't show up or called in sick?
Cancel dinner and tell your kid you'll see him play next game.
Is that worth striking for? Not all strikes are bad.
YEah - been there, done that. Not in a union. It's called part of the job when you choose to work in a factory that runs nonstop. Did I like it, of course not, was I glad to be working and making an honest living - you betcha!!! So get over it and do what you need to support your family or find another job that's so much better. I'm so sick of people complaining about their job when so many wish they had one to complain about!
bounty hunter

United States

#7 Jun 11, 2009
Hello! Union dumb-sh-ts. Good-bye ESAB.
Unions drove Caterpillar out of town.
They will do the same to Harley, and ESAB, and any other stupid union shop that wants more than they deserve. Those union leaders love it everytime you dumb-s-its pay your dues- FOR WHAT?
weezle

Chambersburg, PA

#9 Jun 11, 2009
the hanover plantisn't going to shut down there are to many contracts coming to this facility from mexico and ohio because of quality issues. a year ago they had talked of closing those 2 plants even before the economy went south. they would not have just invested over 15 million in equipment the last year if they are closing. i just be happy to be back to work.
former chief

Sylvania, GA

#10 Jun 11, 2009
Hello Bounty Hunter Been there done that with being a union member 40 years ago. They killed my job and I was glad because I found work with a stable company and retired with a good retirement and benefits after 34 years of service.Happy Days Wayne
Greg

Columbus, OH

#11 Jun 11, 2009
bounty hunter wrote:
Hello! Union dumb-sh-ts. Good-bye ESAB.
Unions drove Caterpillar out of town.
They will do the same to Harley, and ESAB, and any other stupid union shop that wants more than they deserve. Those union leaders love it everytime you dumb-s-its pay your dues- FOR WHAT?
Go ahead and knock the unions. I don't agree with all the politics behind the union but I know that when they went out on strike the plant almost folded because the quality of their materials went to sh!t. They were losing contracts and that is why ESAB ended the strike. Since then they have picked up many contracts and are flourishing. I don't beleive the Hanover Plant will go because they make the company to much money even with the union wages.

As for the guy that said it sucks to be told you have to stay another 4 hours because someone called in sick. Time to suck it up. Life isn't always fair. The big problem with the hanover area is how spoiled the population is. Hanover is blessed with many big companies to work for, so if you don't like your job you complain, quit or get fired, and then go somewhere else to work. Hanover has grown into this big cry baby town where it seems the majority are lazy and just like to complain. Everybody in Hanover should actually feel blessed that we have decent jobs and make a decent living and should quit complaining before more businesses leave town.
wmt resident

Baltimore, MD

#12 Jun 11, 2009
How's that Obama hope and change working for you now union members?
Kirby G

Bethesda, MD

#13 Jun 12, 2009
QUOTE:

" Everybody in Hanover should actually feel blessed that we have decent jobs and make a decent living and should quit complaining before more businesses leave town. "

Feel blessed with the decent jobs in Hanover ? Are you kidding me, seriously are you kidding me with that comment. Trust me, Hanover does not have good paying jobs, those jobs are below national average for same work, different regions. These companies are taking full advantage of the workers in this area, lower wage, same demand for productivty. What do you consider a good job? One of the many local eateries or car lots or banks .... There are no decent jobs here. Example, C+ Computer Programmer working at Snyders is getting an Annual Salary of $48,000 while the national average for the same programmer the average pay is in the high 70's so you tell me that these companies are not greasing their hairy palms and using this area to make people work for lower wages.

Hanover is a joke, still living in the past and afraid to move into the future.
Adam

Harrisburg, PA

#14 Jun 12, 2009
Kirby G wrote:
QUOTE:
" Everybody in Hanover should actually feel blessed that we have decent jobs and make a decent living and should quit complaining before more businesses leave town. "
Feel blessed with the decent jobs in Hanover ? Are you kidding me, seriously are you kidding me with that comment. Trust me, Hanover does not have good paying jobs, those jobs are below national average for same work, different regions. These companies are taking full advantage of the workers in this area, lower wage, same demand for productivty. What do you consider a good job? One of the many local eateries or car lots or banks .... There are no decent jobs here. Example, C+ Computer Programmer working at Snyders is getting an Annual Salary of $48,000 while the national average for the same programmer the average pay is in the high 70's so you tell me that these companies are not greasing their hairy palms and using this area to make people work for lower wages.
I love Hanover for all the reasons you stated above. Even the people are just a little slow, one step behind the rest of the world. Easy to take advantage of.

I make good money here and I love it!!!!!!!!!!
My thoughts

Moorestown, NJ

#15 Jun 12, 2009
Kirby G wrote:
QUOTE:
Yeah well I'm a temp in an office in payroll and help in other accounting areas and I'm making like $22,000.00 so over forty sounds pretty damn good to me.
UnInspired

College Park, MD

#16 Jun 12, 2009
Thats' why people commute to MD and live here. More diversith in the jobs and higher wages.
Kirby G wrote:
QUOTE:
NO Mom

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Jun 12, 2009
Kirby G wrote:
QUOTE:
If you don't like the job selection or the pay in this area, you are free to leave and look for something better.
Another thing, when you compare wages here compared to other parts of the country, you have to take into consideration if its an urban or rural area. The cost of living is cheaper here than in other parts of the country.
doug

Three Springs, PA

#18 Jun 12, 2009
NO Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't like the job selection or the pay in this area, you are free to leave and look for something better.
Another thing, when you compare wages here compared to other parts of the country, you have to take into consideration if its an urban or rural area. The cost of living is cheaper here than in other parts of the country.
I am soooo fed up with people moving in blasting our community! I think the worst offenders are the dr.'s,nice place to get rich and demean the residents while doing it. We are so blessed to live in an area that attracks the beloved doctors but once they get here ,katie bar the door with the insults!
Adam

Harrisburg, PA

#19 Jun 12, 2009
NO Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that this is a cheap place to live compared to many other areas. The price of land and houses around this area is at bargain prices.
TWS

Hanover, PA

#20 Jun 13, 2009
Manufacturing jobs are leaving this country faster than ever before. It is going to get worse and many of us will not even be able to afford the electricity to run our computers once "Cap&Trade" gets passed. Card Check is coming and everyone will be in a union. The union leaders will be living like the fat cats from the big banks. Your dues at work.
Perhaps the people at ESAB screwed themselves by striking a couple of years ago and maybe they had some legitimate reasons as to why they did. But it seems to me unions have outlived their usefulness In the current form, they have not changed (the way they do things) since the 1930's or 1940's. It seems to be only about personal greed. So what if you have to work an extra shift,you have a job! Isn't that worth putting up with some inconvenience. Little Johnny will just have to learn the old man can't make it to his game. That's life.
Hey, if you didn't bust your ass in school and go to college your going to reap the results of your in action,trust me I know! Time to just grin and bear it.
One other thing, let's start electing people who want to make this country like it was. By following the Constitution. Don't elect democrats or republicans, lets elect constitutionalists and independents. Folks, without a strong manufacturing base our country is doomed.

Something to ponder; #^ The Story of Civilization (Vol 3 Caesar And Christ. Epilogue - Why Rome fell): A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within. The essential causes of Rome's decline lay in her people, her morals, her class struggle, her failing trade, her bureaucratic despotism, her stifling taxes, her consuming wars. Will Durant

Sound familiar kids. Look at our country and compare it to those that have fallen into the ashes of yesterday.
no union

Middletown, PA

#21 Jun 13, 2009
Shut down for 30 days, open back up again and get rid of the union. Back makin money in no time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Area Trick-or-Treat nights set (Oct '10) 40 min SMH 38
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 1 hr Wisconsin IBO 5,494
Man arrested in April Franklin House Tavern sta... (Jan '11) 2 hr vlad tepes 53
Police seize more than $250,000 in methamphetam... Oct 17 Leroy Smedlap 9
Snyder's Lance Oct 17 Long Time Lance Man 5
Police: Theft at Weis Markets in Gettysburg cou... (Apr '14) Oct 14 Summa 30
Question Oct 5 Helpneeded 1
Hanover Dating
Find my Match

Hanover Jobs