What gain from ignorant posts?

Full story: Evening Sun

I am writing this letter to The Evening Sun to find out exactly what it is that you expect to gain from the online forums and topics that you allow people to leave posts or ignorant comments or even threats.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of86
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
wow

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

They have an online forum for the same reason they have an opinion page. Get some tougher skin or don't read these comments. They aren't meant to be politically correct, they aren't meant to make you feel good. They are here for people to express what they have to say. Sometimes the comments are over the top, but they only have as much meaning as you the reader are willing to give them. It is obvious that some people post things just to get a rise out of other people. It has obviously worked with you.
The comments sections allows people to further express what could never be published in a newspaper, due to volume and other factors. Some genuine conversations have taken place here, some not so much. But don't let a few rotten apples spoil the whole batch.
Kirby G

Bethesda, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

The only thing that I do not agree with is the publishing of an address, why? I also see a trend with this newspaper and that's only reporting what is being read on paper, does not get much into details about the what if's which can be critical for both sides.

Kudos on this letter to the editor.
Flacco Wacko

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

The easy solution is not to click that little button that states "Read Comments". Read the story then move on to the next. It's that simple.
hanovergirl

Middletown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

Well Windi, you want the paper to STOP these forums and letting people post their opinions, yet apparently is was alright for YOU to post YOUR opinion. If you think it's alright for people to have an opinion but to keep it to themselves --- then you should have done the same!!!! The last I knew, this WAS America and we are (at least for now) allowed, by law, to have freedom of speech. I don't agree with hurting innocent people, but if the person people are talking about isn't innocent and they have done something wrong, then they have to handle the publicity and the public opinions! Oh and by the way, if you feel the need to respond to this - Don't. Keep your opinion to yourself!!!!!!!!
hanovergirl

Middletown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

Flacco Wacko wrote:
The easy solution is not to click that little button that states "Read Comments". Read the story then move on to the next. It's that simple.
There you go! A very simple and quick solution.
Jen Krentler

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

I personally love to be able to comments on stories, just like anyone else. And if I don't agree with something, I skip over the topic. Couldn't get any easier!

However, I do wish that people would be more willing to not hide behind a screen name.

Since: Jul 08

McSherrystown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

Windi you're a hypocrit! You wrote your opinion and this is mine. You're letter only focused on what you view as negative and/or false comments. You can't forget the many comments that are posted defending someone accused of something or even commending someone for a job well done. People are entitled to their opinion and while you accuse some of not knowing the whole story just maybe you're the one who doesn't know the whole story. The forum often shows people both sides of a story, which I think is a great service to offer when so many people can be close minded and quick to jump to a conclusion.
rek

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

yo windi this is america right ok just checking.it is called freedom of speech ok.people like you are ruining america trying to take that right from usok. so dont click the button ok.hey windi dont clickforums ok windi
Common Tater

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

I can see Windi's point, but all the same, I agree that some very interesting and valid points have come up on these discussions that would otherwise have been ignored. Let's take for example, the story on Heroin in Hanover. We get a sentence or two exposure in the Evening Sun paper edition on how we folks in Hanover have been blind to the problem- the discussions on the forum show otherwise and have developed into a new focus on the problem. I believe the public invitation to the 'heroin discussion' last month and the Dr that has taken an interest in treating the addicts has come at least in part due to the discussions on the forum. I believe the forum shows the 'what the people think' side of the stories and adds post scripts to the Evening Sun's view. Whether true or not, right or wrong, the forum gives us our way of showing our opinions and maybe to vent a little. Honestly, I'd rather have a place where I can skip reading something that doesn't interest me but also give my two cents on something that does. Difference of opinions may at times come into heated discussions and name calling-- which I agree happens---but the bottom line is, we care enough to HAVE an opinion on the subject.
I Like Big Trucks

Dover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

Is that really her first name?
Joseph

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

The comment section is a great barometer of the readers' opinions on local events.
whats to gain

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

whats to gain from your stupid article is the real question.
AAA

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

Freedom of speech baby, freedom of speech.
Donna

Dover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

It's called FREEDOM.
Something some of us went to war for and came back. You don't like it, don't read it!!!!
Dan

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

Oh my gosh, You know I used to post comments just to hurt other people but Windbag Windi has shown me the error of my ways. I'm so distraught over the horrible person that I've been I've decided to end it all, Thanks Windi, for showing me the error of my ways and no one will have to worry about me hurting their feelings ever again.
JustAnotherVoice

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

That's why it's called freedom of speech and why you were able to have your letter to the Editor published. Thanks for sharing.
Jay17325

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

This is the problem with small town papers. I guess I would be threatened too when the people leaving post have a better understanding of the English language. Your right, just because we have the ability to give people the right to flex there constitutional right to exercise there opinion. There is no need for that because I sure know that your paper represents my views. Oh, wait know you don't. Since I am not a retired person in this community which seem to be you only target audience. No I am very sure this post will never make it to the message board. So I will consider this to be a letter to the editor.
HERE IN HANOVER

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

i have called the paper myself and complain abotu there not being as moderator on these things
Yep

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

Get a helemt and enjoy the free world!
Yep

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

helmet "typo"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of86
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Hanover Forum right now

Search the Hanover Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 4 hr atomic kneegar 51,183
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 5 hr perseynicolas954 3,802
Suburban Life: Towns band together to share lov... 11 hr Black dude 1
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) Jul 19 Pirates 5,382
bulllys at the work place. Jul 15 robert 1
State police probing pistol theft in Adams County Jul 14 Marilyn Newcomer 1
Paradise School 'riot': Police arrest six students (Apr '08) Jul 10 alan decker 29
•••
•••
•••
•••

Hanover Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hanover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••