Officials: Hanover has a drug problem

Full story: Evening Sun 100
Hanover Middle School principal Pam Smith discusses how to talk to children about substance abuse during a town hall meeting in Hanover Tuesday. Full Story
Hanover

West Chester, PA

#63 Feb 19, 2008
I don't understand why the school districts don't do more drug searches. They call the school districts DRUG FREE.. ha ha that is a joke! They should have signs saying FREE DRUGS. Come on School Boards... let's get to work. This is where the drug problems start... at the teenage level. You could be saving kids from trouble later on in life. School is a learning place. Let's teach them this also!
crazyred69

Ocean City, NJ

#64 Feb 19, 2008
well dang, it only took them 30 years to figure that one out, but then again no matter what they do, it wont ever be able to be stopped completely
skyriter

Sunbury, OH

#65 Feb 19, 2008
Rizz, Truthfully, do you really enjoy doing what you do? Most users I'm acquainted with regret their habit, but they don't have enough fortitude to get clean -- it takes a lot of guts to stare down the beasts that control us. I've known good-hearted people who fell into the trap; they made a few stupid choices, some bad decisions, and next thing they knew, they lost themselves. It's so hard to watch your loved ones give in to uncontrollable fits of paranoid rage and roller coaster mood swings. With all the sensationalized rehab failures, it must be scary to want to attempt to get clean, but it IS doable. Apparently "Mom" here did it. Suboxone's now out there to cut the narcotic craves, so I suspect there will be more, other,'anti-drugs' forthcoming. I hope so, anyway, because I'm well aware that, as a society, we can also do better.
I hope you find yourself, Rizz. The world can use more artists, and your talent is a terrible gift to waste.
Frustrated

York, PA

#66 Feb 20, 2008
am in pa wrote:
Boy - that's pretty funny. Not sure if Rizzo will get it though. You used a lot of high class punctuation there - might be a little tough for him to read! I wander if he'd consider a side class in grammar to help him through it since he's such a go-getter! Pretty scary this one thinks he's well educated!
I have never posted on here before, but I can't take it anymore. I'm tired of reading your posts where you seem to turn your nose up at everyone else, criticizing every small mistake that is made. Who cares if someone is "well educated"? Everyone should have the freedom to post and not be ridiculed over petty things. If you want to comment on content...go ahead. I wouldn't be so quick to criticize other people, considering this is twice now that I have seen you use the word "wander" instead of "wonder".
mel

Middletown, PA

#67 Feb 22, 2008
am in pa wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, that excuse is getting old. Raise your kids to enjoy some family time - how much is a frozen pizza and the tv set? Kids too old for that, ok, have them invite a friend over that you can supervise. Rethink the last item you bought for yourself and spend that money on treating the kids to a game of bowling. Too many "parents" are just so ready with the excuses. To be a parent = stay involved from birth!
My kids do enjoy family time and they happen to be on a bowling league. We rent movies when we can and play games. They also have friends over and I know their friends parents. I was simply stating that good clean fun has gotten exspensive and maybe not all families can afford it which then may lead to the boredom that may get them into trouble, and lets be realistic kids dont want to be with the parents 24/7. They need some freedom and safe social time.
rizzo

United States

#68 Feb 23, 2008
its so funny how you think just because im a drug addict i cant be smart,have a good job and be getting a education.well iam.no i dont work at wal-mart as a greeter.im serving you when you go out to eat on friday nights(now i know your going to belittle being a waiter but its helping me get through school,its not my career its just a job for now)i go to a very respected art school.i live on my own,not with my parents.see you cant say that stuff about me because its not true.FACE IT,im a smart,hard working drug addict.i dont think im well educated i know iam.as far as drug dealing goes im not even going to feed into that because i know what i was so i dont have to prove anything to you.i stoped before i could have gotten into trouble.i was indited and beat the case because they never actually bought from me or had a informant buy from me,so anyway im done defending myself as a drug dealer because im no longer one.im on suboxone.i take 16mg a day.but when i have extra money i still use.so anyway keep on tryin to put me down,please do b/c whatever you say is just assuming things,and you know what they say about assuming,it makes a ass out of you and me!have a nice day!!!!
skyriter

Shelby, OH

#69 Feb 23, 2008
rizzo wrote:
its so funny how you think just because im a drug addict i cant be smart,have a good job and be getting a education.well iam.no i dont work at wal-mart as a greeter.im serving you when you go out to eat on friday nights(now i know your going to belittle being a waiter but its helping me get through school,its not my career its just a job for now)i go to a very respected art school.i live on my own,not with my parents.see you cant say that stuff about me because its not true.FACE IT,im a smart,hard working drug addict.i dont think im well educated i know iam.as far as drug dealing goes im not even going to feed into that because i know what i was so i dont have to prove anything to you.i stoped before i could have gotten into trouble.i was indited and beat the case because they never actually bought from me or had a informant buy from me,so anyway im done defending myself as a drug dealer because im no longer one.im on suboxone.i take 16mg a day.but when i have extra money i still use.so anyway keep on tryin to put me down,please do b/c whatever you say is just assuming things,and you know what they say about assuming,it makes a ass out of you and me!have a nice day!!!!
Hey, Rizz, hope you don't think I was trying to put you down; man, you're trying. I have enough trouble running my own life to be dissing anyone else. And there's nothing wrong with being a waiter. I wish you well, sincerely. You're trying and you can do it.
Melissa

Waterford Works, NJ

#70 Feb 23, 2008
I agree with Christina. Going to church isn't a cure all for preventing your children from becoming involved in drugs. Parents are the strongest influence the children's lives. If the parents get involved in the child's life, the chance of that child using drugs is slim. I know. I have two teenage boys with whom I am very active in their lives.
rizzo

United States

#71 Feb 24, 2008
skyriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Rizz, hope you don't think I was trying to put you down; man, you're trying. I have enough trouble running my own life to be dissing anyone else. And there's nothing wrong with being a waiter. I wish you well, sincerely. You're trying and you can do it.
no i wasent referring to you skywriter,your one of the only people one here who im not referring to.thanks for the encouring words.people fear what they dont understand,so i guess their reaction to me is to try to belittle me so they feel better about themselfs.i had only planned on making my one statement but then i was drawn into a childish arguement that has no point.so people if it makes you really feel that much better about yourself,keep on saying stuff,ive been hearing it for years
rizzo

United States

#72 Feb 24, 2008
Frustrated wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never posted on here before, but I can't take it anymore. I'm tired of reading your posts where you seem to turn your nose up at everyone else, criticizing every small mistake that is made. Who cares if someone is "well educated"? Everyone should have the freedom to post and not be ridiculed over petty things. If you want to comment on content...go ahead. I wouldn't be so quick to criticize other people, considering this is twice now that I have seen you use the word "wander" instead of "wonder".
thank you very much,i agree its rediculous people just want to start stuff with people on here.

Since: Feb 08

Mansfield, OH

#73 Feb 24, 2008
rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>no i wasent referring to you skywriter,your one of the only people one here who im not referring to.thanks for the encouring words.people fear what they dont understand,so i guess their reaction to me is to try to belittle me so they feel better about themselfs.i had only planned on making my one statement but then i was drawn into a childish arguement that has no point.so people if it makes you really feel that much better about yourself,keep on saying stuff,ive been hearing it for years
Thanks, Rizz. I'm pulling for ya.
tiffany

West Chester, PA

#74 Feb 25, 2008
I want a date w/ Rizzo!
Mrs Experience

Westfield, PA

#75 Feb 25, 2008
There is by far a big problem in the area with drugs and dealing, and my husband used to be a part of it. Amen to the police who arrested him and threw him in jail. Amen to myself for telling him how much I loved him as I said NO to bailing him out. Amen to the few people who stood beside me as I struggled with two jobs to support our children, keep the kids sheltered from as much as possible, and as I felt completely humiliated, betrayed and lost.
At the same time, WHY did the doctors prescribe extremely addictive pain medicine to him. WHY after it became a problem (and it was documented) did they continue to give it to him. WHY did they eventually stop the scripts cold turkey; leading him on a journey to find something to eliminate the pain?
These people are not all low-lifes. We are a middle class family with two children. Our kids participate in sports, get terrific grades, and are healthy, well-adjusted teens. To drive by our house, you wouldn't know who used to live here.
Fortunately that life is past us, thanks to his commitment to change, and my refusal to give up.
We need to get rid of these people's habits. You cannot throw someone in jail for 3 days and expect them to be rehabilitated. There are few resources out there for people who need help, and the cost/economics involved are an even bigger deterrant. For many, they are happy to be addicts, but an equal amount of them are in it without knowing how to get out.
Perhaps a solution

Tucson, AZ

#76 Feb 25, 2008
I don't have all the answers, as a parent. However, kids these days are being bombarded on all sides. I don't think we can comprehend what they deal with. There is an amazing program out there. It is called ANASAZI. It is not a brat camp or a boot camp. It is in the wilderness...away from all the distractions of these young peoples' lives. My parents were hesitant at first, not knowing if my sister could handle camping all the time. They was so wrong! The wilderness is the environment in which a spirit can thrive...and I watched it happen! My sister is a different person...rather, she has become her real self. She had experimented with all kinds of things before going. Out there, she found herself. She realized the greatness that everyone who loves her always saw. She is doing so well. She loves the program. She says that she felt so much love at Anasazi. The staff that work there love...they don't punish or try to teach. They let nature do that. It is a beautiful wilderness therapy program.
I loved Anasazi

Tucson, AZ

#77 Feb 25, 2008
We sent our son to Anasazi. He was skipping school, getting involved with girls, etc. We were just worried about him...and I felt I wasn't dealing with him appropriately. The greatest part about Anasazi, for me, was the help we received as parents. We attended a full day seminar which taught Arbinger principles which are powerful...so powerful that all my relationships thus far have changed completely. Life is so beautiful!
rizzo

United States

#79 Feb 25, 2008
tiffany wrote:
I want a date w/ Rizzo!
i want a date with you tiffany.im a 22 single white male,whats up?
tiffany

West Chester, PA

#80 Feb 25, 2008
25 single white female, whats up Rizzo! ;o)~
Boy

Moorestown, NJ

#81 Feb 26, 2008
Wow! kids meeting through a discussion of drug use! I'm sure that relationship will work out well! Rizz...I think I know you, give me a clue as to who you are or where you work?

Since: Feb 08

Sunbury, OH

#82 Feb 26, 2008
I loved Anasazi wrote:
We sent our son to Anasazi. He was skipping school, getting involved with girls, etc. We were just worried about him...and I felt I wasn't dealing with him appropriately. The greatest part about Anasazi, for me, was the help we received as parents. We attended a full day seminar which taught Arbinger principles which are powerful...so powerful that all my relationships thus far have changed completely. Life is so beautiful!
This is exactly the stuff we need to hear more about and promote. There are ways out, and it's encouraging. I love hearing success stories! I think we all need to work together; isn't that what life's really all about?
rizzo

United States

#83 Feb 26, 2008
Boy wrote:
Wow! kids meeting through a discussion of drug use! I'm sure that relationship will work out well! Rizz...I think I know you, give me a clue as to who you are or where you work?
first off im no kid,and neither is tiffany so please dont call me or her "kids"and second off ive said it before,yes i still use here and there but not everyday,im on opiate management,a drug called suboxone,and tiffany must know this so it wont affect anykind of realionship,that might form,im a very nice person and i wont let drugs ruin anykind of realionship with anyone.and even if you do know me,i dont want to know you,you have been nothing but a a-hole the whole time ive been on this forum.TIFFANY,i would give you my email but it has my real name in it,so id rather not give it over the forum,but if you would like to give me yours id really like that.maybe we could get to know each other a little better,if you would be down for that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) Thu in ky 5,570
pump it powder (Jan '12) Dec 15 askmetray28 39
Two charged in heroin arrest Dec 13 lady 1
power outage littlestown pa Nov 22 Pink Eye 6
Man hits boy, 4, in head with beer bottle at Ad... Nov '14 Pink Eye 7
13 charged in Littlestown drug bust (Jun '09) Nov '14 Just a thought 222
Police seize more than $250,000 in methamphetam... Nov '14 Just a thought 11
Hanover Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hanover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hanover News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hanover

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:03 pm PST

NBC Sports 3:03PM
Eagles expect the old RG3 - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 4:54 PM
What Experts Are Saying About Washington
Bleacher Report 6:36 PM
Ravens vs. Texans: Complete Week 16 Preview for Baltimore
Bleacher Report 6:38 PM
Eagles vs. Redskins: Complete Week 16 Preview for Philadelphia
Bleacher Report 9:12 PM
What Are Experts Saying About Eagles?