763 votes

Click on an option to vote

yes

no

dont care

CER

Baltimore, MD

#45 Nov 6, 2008
I don't think Hanover is Ghetto. I agree, if you want to see ghetto, go to Baltimore. If Hanover, is anything, it is redneck and backward. As for all the Marylanders moving in, if they have done anything, it has been to "elevate" the area. I was born and raised in Baltimore, but left there almost 35 years ago. I lived in Carroll County for many years (and you can hardly call that a Ghetto!!), and now live in PA. I came here because I wanted top buy a house and PA is definitely less expensive. I moved to the Hanover area because I have always thought it quaint with a smalltown feel,- much like Carrol County, Maryland. I still feel that Hanover is unique and has a lot to offer, but lacks people willing to invest in it. It dismays me that so many "natives" are convinced that Marylanders are corrupting their way if life. I will say this; the people from Maryland are willing to invest money to fixing up some of these neglected properties, where the long-time Hanoverians are not. Every area has it's charm and all people have something good to offer. Stop bashing Marylanders for all your ills. Many of them existed long before we got here.

“Where is justice?”

Since: Jun 08

Born in Phila, live in Hanover

#46 Nov 6, 2008
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yes. I'm not "in the loop." Funny.
So the folks at R.H. Sheppard and Mike Rice are keeping the town down? Wow. That's pretty funny. I surely wouldn't agree with everything they do and there may be problems at those places but to say the leaders are actively keeping the town down is pretty funny. Bitterness is a hell of a drug. Which place were you so bad at your job at that they canned you?
About the "slum lord" thing, this is a problem in thousands of communities. They aren't holding the community down. They're just trying to make money. That isn't always done the right way, but to act like there is this concerted effort to prohibit good things from happening is comical.
Hanover has issues that many other town s have. Stop acting like you are shining some great light on some incredible story here. It's a small town with problems, but we can make progress on the problems if we do more than sit on the Internet and whine. Nothing is perfect, but it can't improve without getting involved.
Again, here's the part where you say being active in the community is a bad thing and everyone laughs at you. So have fun sitting there blaming everyone else for your problems while others are out there trying to make a difference.
Funny, the only place I mentioned by name was Cadre Reality.

I hear lots of things and "details" when I tend bar at a lot of private functions for the areas "elite". Mostly from their wives when they get a few drinks in them. Trust me, I hear and know more than anyone else will hear in a town meeting or press release. I know their REAL attitude.
KJM

United States

#47 Nov 7, 2008
Jeb wrote:
Definition of GHETTO:
1: a quarter of a city in which Jews were formerly required to live
2: a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure
3 a: an isolated group <a geriatric ghetto> b: a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity
Sorry No Matches
Technically number 2 could be Hanover. Lots of middle to low income housing and no well paying jobs anywhere near the area!!

“The Horse Stops Here”

Since: May 08

Littlestown,Pa

#48 Nov 7, 2008
Jeb wrote:
Definition of GHETTO:
1: a quarter of a city in which Jews were formerly required to live
2: a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure
3 a: an isolated group <a geriatric ghetto> b: a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity
Sorry No Matches
Sorry but 2 and 3 match

“well now you know”

Since: Oct 08

hanover, pa

#49 Nov 7, 2008
Hanover isn't ghetto it's just BORING!

if it were ghetto in the terms the person is asking about there'd be a liquor store on every corner, a pawn shop on every block, and you could walk the streets alone at night or during the day.

“well now you know”

Since: Oct 08

hanover, pa

#50 Nov 7, 2008
*couldn't walk the streets*. .. i cant type worth crap today hahaha

“The Horse Stops Here”

Littlestown,Pa

#51 Nov 7, 2008
brawler wrote:
*couldn't walk the streets*... i cant type worth crap today hahaha
You cant walk the streets at night in Hanover, dont you read the paper, and especially the 200 block of north franklin st

“The Horse Stops Here”

Littlestown,Pa

#52 Nov 8, 2008
Many empty buildings in the downtown, everyones heading to eisenhower.
Poe

Harrisburg, PA

#53 Nov 8, 2008
I've been following Mr. Know It All's comments on here for some time and I'm so pleased to see that other people have recognized that his opinions are worthless.

And no. I don't have to "trust" your opinion on anything. You don't want to promote discussion. You just want to see yourself in print.
TJW

Harrisburg, PA

#54 Nov 9, 2008
I think a lot of it has to do with the kids and teens. They for some reason think it's cool to be bad. Who's the badest is the coolest. I think a lot of that is what the problem is. When you get a bunch of kids together in a town that has a major drug problem your going to have crime. I wouldn't call the town ghetto. But the crime is going up and i think a lot of it has to do with the rapid population growth, and not having enough police to keep up with it. Really the biggest thing i see is a town with a huge drug problem. I don't think it really has anything to do with where the people are from, it's just the way these people decide to live. I was born in D.C. lived there till i was 2 then moved here. Hanover is deffinately not the old Hanover it used to be. I hope things will turn around and go back to the way it used to be.

“The Horse Stops Here”

Littlestown,Pa

#55 Nov 9, 2008
TJW wrote:
I think a lot of it has to do with the kids and teens. They for some reason think it's cool to be bad. Who's the badest is the coolest. I think a lot of that is what the problem is. When you get a bunch of kids together in a town that has a major drug problem your going to have crime. I wouldn't call the town ghetto. But the crime is going up and i think a lot of it has to do with the rapid population growth, and not having enough police to keep up with it. Really the biggest thing i see is a town with a huge drug problem. I don't think it really has anything to do with where the people are from, it's just the way these people decide to live. I was born in D.C. lived there till i was 2 then moved here. Hanover is deffinately not the old Hanover it used to be. I hope things will turn around and go back to the way it used to be.
Its that horrible Rap Crap they listen to.
A Gent

Harrisburg, PA

#56 Nov 9, 2008
The Detailer wrote:
<quoted text>Let me give you some insight since you are obviously not in the "loop". I will try to do this without naming names.
That place that makes power steering parts once had a waiting list to get a job there, greed took over, now they can not keep people there.(Maybe people refuse to work with others that can not speak English). Plus they took away the piece rate and lowered wages.
That place that Hanover is known for potato chips also had a waiting list to get a job, but now they will take anyone.( and they can not keep a route salesman )
Two owners that just want the money, screw the employees.(Niether of them live in the borough)
How about the land/slum lords. They own property here but do not live here. They rent to the lower income or drug dealers knowing they will get their money from state welfare/housing assitance or drug money,(what do they care, they are getting paid!). The other landlords are here for a get rich quick thing......... Have renters pay $1200/month on their $800 mortgage.
Just a few of the reasons why the people with money do not want things to change.
FYI, Cadre Reality has not been seen around as much as they used to.( I do, do things other than complain on here, I called the housing authority on them.) I can't take all the credit, but they would rent to ANYONE! If you see them have a place up for rent, call and complain.
Just a few examples of how the "money" people are influencing our "leaders" to leave them alone.
First of all, none of the words you wrote have any fact. The owners of ALL the businesses you mention (and the ones you didn't but we know what they are) ALL live here in Hanover. I have access to information that YOU don't and can say with certainty that you are just blowing smoke and must want to sound important and all knowing....you are not. Why would anyone want to call authorities on anyone just because they have a property for rent? You sound more like a bigot than Archie Bunker!
john

Harrisburg, PA

#57 Nov 9, 2008
People here are scared of moving forward, they stick to their own behind closed doors ...

Hanover needs to progress, it's 2008 !
My opinion

Harrisburg, PA

#58 Nov 9, 2008
john wrote:
People here are scared of moving forward, they stick to their own behind closed doors ...
Hanover needs to progress, it's 2008 !
Funny how on a post about Auto Glass you commended them for not selling to the contractor to make way for progress, but you bash Hanover as a whole for doing the same....guess you swing both ways as far as progress and if you use a business you want it to stay, if not then just tear them down and make new roads, right?
Common Tater

Harrisburg, PA

#59 Nov 9, 2008
Pa Resident wrote:
Um...Im sorry but you can not put the blame on BALTIMORE, It is the Hanover teenagers that grew up here and live here the whole life that make it Ghetto (if you want to call it that.)
And also the Mexicans make it Ghetto have you seen the way they dress (grown men)
And in all honesty Hanover is not ghetto!!
<quoted text>
So, what is the point you are trying to make about those of us that grew up here? I don't understand your remark about us making it Ghetto- then you say we AREN'T ghetto...
tin lizzie

Plano, TX

#60 Nov 9, 2008
The Detailer wrote:
<quoted text>Let me give you some insight since you are obviously not in the "loop". I will try to do this without naming names.
That place that makes power steering parts once had a waiting list to get a job there, greed took over, now they can not keep people there.(Maybe people refuse to work with others that can not speak English). Plus they took away the piece rate and lowered wages.
That place that Hanover is known for potato chips also had a waiting list to get a job, but now they will take anyone.( and they can not keep a route salesman )
Two owners that just want the money, screw the employees.(Niether of them live in the borough)
How about the land/slum lords. They own property here but do not live here. They rent to the lower income or drug dealers knowing they will get their money from state welfare/housing assitance or drug money,(what do they care, they are getting paid!). The other landlords are here for a get rich quick thing......... Have renters pay $1200/month on their $800 mortgage.
Just a few of the reasons why the people with money do not want things to change.
FYI, Cadre Reality has not been seen around as much as they used to.( I do, do things other than complain on here, I called the housing authority on them.) I can't take all the credit, but they would rent to ANYONE! If you see them have a place up for rent, call and complain.
Just a few examples of how the "money" people are influencing our "leaders" to leave them alone.
about route salesman not staying....
knew more than one really good route salesman. he would build up his route and worked from about 3 or 4 A.M. til mid/late afternoons. over 12 hour days. when his route was doing really well, they took about 1/2 of his customers and split the route with a new driver.
down goes the hard work and his paycheck. after this happened several times, he split. no one would stay under those conditions. you all are correct. it is all about company greed.
tin lizzie

Plano, TX

#61 Nov 9, 2008
A Gent wrote:
<quoted text>First of all, none of the words you wrote have any fact. The owners of ALL the businesses you mention (and the ones you didn't but we know what they are) ALL live here in Hanover. I have access to information that YOU don't and can say with certainty that you are just blowing smoke and must want to sound important and all knowing....you are not. Why would anyone want to call authorities on anyone just because they have a property for rent? You sound more like a bigot than Archie Bunker!
mike rice (utz) does NOT live in hanover. he lives in the castle on the left on mines rd to new oxford.
where they planted a whole "forest" to hide it or give privacy, whichever you want to call it.
pete shephard (r.h.shephard) lives on a huge farm behind mt. pleasant.(off littlestown pike, going towards hanover.)they had a road closed in their "honor" a few years ago, it was too close for their privacy!

“Where is justice?”

Since: Jun 08

Born in Phila, live in Hanover

#62 Nov 9, 2008
A Gent wrote:
<quoted text>First of all, none of the words you wrote have any fact. The owners of ALL the businesses you mention (and the ones you didn't but we know what they are) ALL live here in Hanover. I have access to information that YOU don't and can say with certainty that you are just blowing smoke and must want to sound important and all knowing....you are not. Why would anyone want to call authorities on anyone just because they have a property for rent? You sound more like a bigot than Archie Bunker!
Looks like you were just proven wrong....... now YOU look lokie a fool. I guess you will have to come up with yet another screen name.
a comment

Philadelphia, PA

#63 Nov 9, 2008
John Waynes Horse wrote:
<quoted text>no ones complaining per say just a discussion
Actions speak louder then words.
Don't like something, don't discuss/complain about it--do something about it :)
A Gent

Harrisburg, PA

#64 Nov 9, 2008
tin lizzie wrote:
<quoted text>
mike rice (utz) does NOT live in hanover. he lives in the castle on the left on mines rd to new oxford.
where they planted a whole "forest" to hide it or give privacy, whichever you want to call it.
pete shephard (r.h.shephard) lives on a huge farm behind mt. pleasant.(off littlestown pike, going towards hanover.)they had a road closed in their "honor" a few years ago, it was too close for their privacy!
You might want to look up the postal addresses of those homes before commenting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 12 hr You are a loser 7,192
Is Sam's Club Still Planned for Gateway? (Nov '13) Nov 22 Amanda 2
News Power outage hits rush hour (May '10) Nov 20 David Dell 16
News Ex-security guard charged in thefts at Hanover ... (May '11) Oct '16 Private 6
News Police: Littlestown woman bites child as discip... Oct '16 privone2001 3
Ummmm......yeah Oct '16 waitwhatwhowhenho... 1
Utz buys Golden Flake Jul '16 jim thompson 1

Hanover Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hanover Mortgages