Good reason to butt in

Good reason to butt in

There are 38 comments on the Evening Sun story from Apr 20, 2011, titled Good reason to butt in. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Calm down. Take a deep breath. Light a cigarette if you have to. We'd prefer it if you didn't smoke, but we also understand that it's easier if you never start in the first place.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jack

New York, NY

#1 Apr 21, 2011
It's only about money. That's why. You wrote it yourself when you penned "Yes, adults have the right to at least some stupid behaviors." Fine the adults $200, then maybe they would start setting a better example. Also, it's not a "right" to be stupid. It's a choice to be stupid. People make choices, and yes some are clearly wrong, but it's up to the person. Not local governments.
Jack

New York, NY

#2 Apr 21, 2011
Don't cite some obscure evidence nicotine is a gateway drug without providing your source for all to view. Come on, my god man how Orwellian can you become.
Jack

New York, NY

#3 Apr 21, 2011
Reading Playboy magazine is against the law for anyone under the age of 18. Why not fine the act of masterbation. It sure gave me carpal tunlel syndrome.
Amanda

Abbottstown, PA

#4 Apr 21, 2011
Apparently, the writer is either naive or never had teenagers. I went to school with a girl who used a Sucrets container as her cigarette case...nipped a bit off of the filter end and her parents, teachers, all of the adults and half of the kids around her did not know she was a smoker.

Also, does the borough plan to collect the cash from the parents or the actual person breaking the law???
curious

Hanover, PA

#5 Apr 21, 2011
I'm curious as to how it's going to be enforced, is every person smoking on the street going to asked for ID to determine age? There are some teens that appear young and then there are those the appear older, there are also 18-21 year old people that appear to be 15. In an area that has so many migrants it would be incorrect to ask them for their legal documents to prove that they are not breaking the law so how can a police officer walk up to someone with a cigarette and ask for identification because they don't appear to be 18.

Hmmm you look young so you must be breaking the law is no different than you are hispanic so you must be here illegally. It's a ridiculous law that targets people based on their appearance.

Don't get me wrong I'm not for kids smoking but that should be left up to the parents to dicipline not local law enforcement.
curious

Hanover, PA

#6 Apr 21, 2011
***discipline**** so the spell checkers don't attack me
Anonymous

Hanover, PA

#7 Apr 21, 2011
All I see in these stupid Editorials is whining about "online comments". Well, here's another one to add to that.

I also enjoyed the "though there's all sorts of evidence that cigarettes are the ultimate "gateway" drug." If you truly believe that, just....what are you, INSANE? STUPID?

Also, half of these editorials are totally slanted to the left and on political issues so don't even whine about conservatives and liberals.
Rial

Carlisle, PA

#8 Apr 21, 2011
"Trust us, we are here to help." The government knows what is best for us. The government knows what is best for us.
oldschool

Spring Grove, PA

#9 Apr 21, 2011
curious wrote:
I'm curious as to how it's going to be enforced, is every person smoking on the street going to asked for ID to determine age? There are some teens that appear young and then there are those the appear older, there are also 18-21 year old people that appear to be 15. In an area that has so many migrants it would be incorrect to ask them for their legal documents to prove that they are not breaking the law so how can a police officer walk up to someone with a cigarette and ask for identification because they don't appear to be 18.
Hmmm you look young so you must be breaking the law is no different than you are hispanic so you must be here illegally. It's a ridiculous law that targets people based on their appearance.
Don't get me wrong I'm not for kids smoking but that should be left up to the parents to dicipline not local law enforcement.
You've got to be kidding me!
It "is no different than you are hispanic, so you must be here illegally". Seeing a kid smoking and asking them if they are 18 isn't the same at all. I'm all for the law. A better law would be to fine anyone that smokes in a care with a child that is in a booster or car seat! Smoking Sucks!
Anonymous

Hanover, PA

#10 Apr 21, 2011
oldschool wrote:
<quoted text>
It "is no different than you are hispanic, so you must be here illegally". Seeing a kid smoking and asking them if they are 18 isn't the same at all. I'm all for the law. A better law would be to fine anyone that smokes in a care with a child that is in a booster or car seat! Smoking Sucks!
Smoking rules, your spelling sucks. I guess you weren't one of the cool kids.
Jack

New York, NY

#11 Apr 21, 2011
oldschool wrote:
<quoted text>
Go back to the middle ages you old(school) fart.

“What Me Worry?”

Since: Oct 08

Littlestown

#12 Apr 21, 2011
heck i remember 40 yrs ago when i was young i used to walk to the corner store and get my mom and dad cigs
Dan

Greencastle, PA

#13 Apr 21, 2011
Smoking is a disgusting habit. The people that smoke & reek of it are being shunned by society more & more each day.
You stink, your car stinks, your house stinks....did I mention that you stink & people can't stand to be near you.
If it's not legal to purchase it should be illegal to consume. Unfortunately government must protect minors because they are not smart enough to protect themselves.
Smoking isn't cool or attractive & your God awful perfume isn't covering up your smoking stench.
Raise the taxes on a pack of cigs.
MrConsistency

Gettysburg, PA

#14 Apr 21, 2011
The children in YOUR town follow YOUR examples and then you want to punish THEM for it? Tsk, tsk. This smacks of bigotry! Shouldn't the Biglerville municipal government reward their youth for following the examples that parents and adults in general set for them!

If the municipal government isn't going to reward the children for following the examples set by the parents (which of course isn't the function of a government), but instead go forth with punishing the children only, wouldn't it make sense to also make it illegal for the adults also? Are not logic and sense are not fundamental to the process of lawmaking?(Just kidding, I know they aren't used.)

Biglerville could triple the revenue if they would make smoking illegal regardless of age and then go after EVERYONE who smokes!

Then they could ban the consumption of alcohol, totally outlaw the ownership of guns, require all woman to wear face coverings and long dresses that extend below the ankles, and so much more! Get rid of those pesky electric lights and telephones while you are at it!

If smoking is bad for anyone, it is equally as bad for EVERYONE. If someone in the Biglerville municipal government is naive to the extend that they think such a law as the one being proposed will genuinely influence people under the age of 18 to stop smoking (because it isn't good for their health) then that municipal leader should step down. That isn't the role of municipal government.

Sadly though, the motivation for proposing this law isn't genuinely concerned with the health of any of the members of the community. No law can create such a stirring if that is what the Mayor is thinking.

Others have said this better than me: Biglerville's proposal is merely designed to create yet another way for a government to find a way to put money in its member's pockets. It could give hoot less if anyone's health is helped or hurt.

What about ... There is more revenue to be gained by arresting people over the age of 18 who toss their butts from car windows or who throw those butts onto the municipal streets and sidewalks, and those laws are already on the books!

Making a law that discriminates against someone merely because they are under the age of 18 is all about governments making money. If smoking is "wrong" for a kid under 18, it's wrong for everyone else.

Disclaimer: I am not and never have been a smoker. Everything about it is disgusting to me. Everything that smokers own wreaks of their habit. I know it presents health risks, and so do they. Not to mention, it is expensive (taxes, you know).

But because I don't choose to smoke does not mean that others should or should not. I respectfully keep my distance from folks (and their stinky cars, homes, etc.) and that is fine with them too.

Honestly, I think sometimes people should be arrested for farting in public. Not just any old fart, but I mean those massive methane and sulfur super-blasts that can spread toxins two or three aisles wide in Jane's Market. Belching (that is, GOOD belching), on the other hand, should be rewarded.
Disgusted

Carlisle, PA

#15 Apr 21, 2011
It's strange that the liberals' attitude toward teenage sex is that since they're going to to it anyway, then we should teach them how and also provide them with condoms. Education and condoms notwithstanding, there are all kinds of potentially nasty outcomes associated with encouraging teenagers sexual activity.

If you applied that kind of rationalization to teenage smoking then we should be teaching them to blow smoke rings and provide them with Zippos.

Or should we just fine teenagers for having sex?

The workings of the mind of a liberal is bewildering indeed.
Disgusted

Carlisle, PA

#16 Apr 21, 2011
I'm not sure, but I suspect that most parents that have not succeeded at restraining their kids smoking habits are typically at the lower end of the social/economic scale. Either their education level and/or the need to leave their kids alone because say, both parents are required to work or they have to work two jobs, leads to all kinds of conditions in which kids can get into trouble.

So, it's the struggling, poorer parents that will be hit hardest by this latest bit of governmental meddling.

And, I shudder to think how some defiant teens will deliberately get caught smoking as a means of retribution for real or imagined indignities they may have suffered as part of normal child rearing.

Since: Dec 07

Arlington, VA

#17 Apr 21, 2011
Tobacco users are addicts who lack the ability to understand their addiction or do anything to quit. Rural locals who oppose clear public health laws are typically of limited education and have a seriously flawed view of the ordered state of liberty under our Constitutions (state and federal). Forgive them for being too dumb and weak to get the point.
Disgusted

Carlisle, PA

#18 Apr 21, 2011
Smokers, at least the ones I know, know full well the dangers of their habit. They comprehend the addictiveness of tobacco. But, because it gives them pleasure, they do it anyway.

They are not bad people, nor are they undereducated or stupid. They try to avoid offending people with their habit and generally have a live and let live attitude about life.

What I like about them is that most are great conversationalists, in their own uninhibited way, and while they may use phrases that lack political correctness and crush the concept of tactfulness, they are at the same time guileless and devoid of meanness.

Putting me in a room full of smokers and a few cases of Bud is my idea of a congenial evening.

By the way, I do not smoke.

“What Me Worry?”

Since: Oct 08

Littlestown

#19 Apr 21, 2011
President Obama smokes. Is he undereducated or stupid? I think not. As a dumb smoker myself i know the dangers and until nicotine addiction is treated as a disease the treatment options are limited.
Jack

Hanover, PA

#20 Apr 21, 2011
Jeff Spangler wrote:
Tobacco users are addicts who lack the ability to understand their addiction or do anything to quit. Rural locals who oppose clear public health laws are typically of limited education and have a seriously flawed view of the ordered state of liberty under our Constitutions (state and federal). Forgive them for being too dumb and weak to get the point.
Your an i d i o t!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) Aug 22 Surprize 7,079
Utz buys Golden Flake Jul 27 jim thompson 1
Lovely School Taxes (Jan '12) Jul '16 Jan 22
News Last chance to get free fresh produce from Agen... Jul '16 test 1
Kitchen Fitters Manchester Jul '16 ceagceog432 1
News Vigil in Gettysburg honors victims of violence Jun '16 Davenport 2
107178 PB Filled Pieces Jun '16 Mattiecakes918 1

Hanover Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance