Utz workers ensure snacks don't bite back

Full story: Evening Sun

Lab Technician Karen Flickinger demonstrates how she measures cheese balls as part of quality control at Utz Quality Foods.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Anthony M Gates

Centreville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2008

Excellent article. Have been an Utz customer for over 70 years and I presently always have on hand your cheese curls, classic Utz kettle chips and Unsalted Utz chips.
Hanovarian

Willingboro, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Cutting edge news. Guess you needed to fill a few pages since pryor didn't go to psu.
New Oxfordian

Huntingdon Valley, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

I concur that it was an excellent article. It's nice having something featured on the front page that supports our local economy and isn't bad news.
Steve Goss

Nottingham, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Very interesting & informative article..Refreshing to read an article like this especially when most of the news now days is about politics & crime.....Best Chips on the east coast
Rosemary

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2008

I would love to know how to get a job like that.
My two sense

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2008

Hanovarian wrote:
Cutting edge news. Guess you needed to fill a few pages since pryor didn't go to psu.
Pet Peeve of mine is when people do not spell Hanoverian correctly.
Hanoverian

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2008

I took a tour of the UTZ POTATO CHIP plant in Hanover. There are RAT traps everywhere. Do you have rats around your products that bad???
Answer to rat question

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2008

The reason for all the traps is federal regulations mandate that you have pest control stations every 50 feet on the outside of the plant and have them every so often (75 feet i think) indoor. It is mandated and preventative.
huh

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2008

Answer to rat question wrote:
The reason for all the traps is federal regulations mandate that you have pest control stations every 50 feet on the outside of the plant and have them every so often (75 feet i think) indoor. It is mandated and preventative.
What about the rats that own the place?
Patti_RN2008

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

huh wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the rats that own the place?
HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!!!!
Don't forget the son-in-law that runs it!!!! LMAO
Tiffany

Downingtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

great article for Utz- but what about the workers that work there? Paid next to nothing, below par for health insurance, then instead of hiring AMERICAN they hire temp Mexicans or Bosnians because they are the only ones willing to work for $8+9/hr. w/ no insurance! Way to go UTZ- your there for your employees!
They could care less

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Tiffany wrote:
great article for Utz- but what about the workers that work there? Paid next to nothing, below par for health insurance, then instead of hiring AMERICAN they hire temp Mexicans or Bosnians because they are the only ones willing to work for $8+9/hr. w/ no insurance! Way to go UTZ- your there for your employees!
How about the owner's exotic car collection at the pretzel plant or the mansion(s) he's been building. No raises for the drivers for over 20 years. How about the non paid sales meetings all the time for the drivers? Cutting the pay for the drivers so they can promote their products in stores. etc, etc
Lefty

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

They could care less wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the owner's exotic car collection at the pretzel plant or the mansion(s) he's been building. No raises for the drivers for over 20 years. How about the non paid sales meetings all the time for the drivers? Cutting the pay for the drivers so they can promote their products in stores. etc, etc
That's why I buy Gibbles.
lsdkfjweoruvmn

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Tiffany wrote:
I hear it's hot as hell in there, too. They have fans, but they're at the ceilings which only blows around all the heat that rises.:(
Facts

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Tiffany wrote:

Facts:
I was at Utz.

If you are a full rate Utz employee you have insurance and are making in the $13 to $18/hr range.$9 an hour people are temps being recruited by a firm and come in to find a full time job with the company.

Utz factory job is not glorious in anyway, its hot, but its a job, and at least Utz doesnt lay off its full-time help. If you want to run them out of business start a chip company and do it your way and compete with them.
Utz is Nutz

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Facts wrote:
Tiffany wrote:
Facts:
I was at Utz.
If you are a full rate Utz employee you have insurance and are making in the $13 to $18/hr range.$9 an hour people are temps being recruited by a firm and come in to find a full time job with the company.
Utz factory job is not glorious in anyway, its hot, but its a job, and at least Utz doesnt lay off its full-time help. If you want to run them out of business start a chip company and do it your way and compete with them.
Let me guess,--your a "yes man" for the company. I DO work full time for the company as a manager and for over 10 years. You're full of ____!!!! The big wigs could care less about the little guys. They pay them JUST ENOUGH so they have a job but can't really go any where else. They are only numbers to them and are replaceable without blinking an eye.
Tiffany

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Facts:
I was at Utz.

You WERE at Utz, if it was so great you wouldn't have moved on to greener pastures. Yes they offer insurance at a price that most people can't afford and is less then below average health insurance. If I would have to guess most employees there are not able to afford the insurance that they offer and if they could afford it, it doesn't cover very much, either way the workers are getting screwed.
Lets move on to the pay scale- I have a friend that has been w/ the company at least 10 years and is only getting paid $14/hr. Lets say.. He started @$10, because i really don't know, but that is only a $4 raise over 10 years. I'm thinking that most of us get more then $.40 cents a year working for someone.
Common Tater

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Tiffany wrote:
Facts:
I was at Utz.
You WERE at Utz, if it was so great you wouldn't have moved on to greener pastures. Yes they offer insurance at a price that most people can't afford and is less then below average health insurance. If I would have to guess most employees there are not able to afford the insurance that they offer and if they could afford it, it doesn't cover very much, either way the workers are getting screwed.
Lets move on to the pay scale- I have a friend that has been w/ the company at least 10 years and is only getting paid $14/hr. Lets say.. He started @$10, because i really don't know, but that is only a $4 raise over 10 years. I'm thinking that most of us get more then $.40 cents a year working for someone.
Really should be happy they have a job that pays THAT well. I wouldn't diss a good thing. Jobs are scarce and only getting worse.
Tiffany

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Lets see- I work for a GOOD company, I have worked for this company for 3 years and 2 months and i make $14/hr. w/ EXCELLENT benefits. I complain because they take, take, take from everyone that works for them and gives NOTHING in return to their employees- c'mon lets be real tater, if your boss owned a mansion but paid you less then what you deserve after giving them loyalty for 10 years you also would think it is a shame/crime. All i'm saying is $4 a bag for chips they can afford to pay their employees better, plus give half decent health insurance. They also would not have to hire Mexican and Bosnians, they could hire the Americans that have supported their products since they were little.
Facts

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

You WERE at Utz, if it was so great you wouldn't have moved on to greener pastures.

I moved on to what I thought was greener pastures. A place that gave holiday bonuses to their people, kept giving 6-8% raises a year, comp time in the summer, temporarily it was wonderful and I felt the same way as the 10-year manager. Now we are cutting 15% of our workforce and everyone wonders why. It's because they gave all their profits back to the people in the good times and now times are bad, and they have nothing back to fall on.
If I wasnt so young and dumb I would have just kept getting my consistent 2-3% raise at Utz and have a company that I know can last through a depression, not a recession and still give 2-3%.
To the 10-year manager there, live on the outside once, and i would hope you would rethink your postion or move on to something that does satisfy you. Utz is solid, never going under, feel fortunate.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hanover Discussions

Search the Hanover Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 9 hr Roger the Racist 51,162
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 9 hr Roger the Racist 3,796
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) Jul 19 Pirates 5,382
bulllys at the work place. Jul 15 robert 1
State police probing pistol theft in Adams County Jul 14 Marilyn Newcomer 1
Paradise School 'riot': Police arrest six students (Apr '08) Jul 10 alan decker 29
Free Fourth of July fireworks shows (Jun '09) Jul 4 need to know 23
•••
•••
•••
•••

Hanover Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hanover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE