Crossing guards quit over 'extremely ...

Crossing guards quit over 'extremely dangerous' intersection

There are 134 comments on the Evening Sun story from May 28, 2011, titled Crossing guards quit over 'extremely dangerous' intersection. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Crossing guard Don Mummert, of McSherrystown, helps students walk across Wilson Avenue in Hanover last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Jeremy

Leesport, PA

#122 Jun 2, 2011
I'm glad they are gone. I was always sick and tired of having to slow down because of them. I believe in natural selection. If you see a car coming, get out of the way. I do have a solution that would work well. It's called look both ways before crossing the street.
Now that they are gone, I can drive as fast as I want through that area. Not to say that I didnt do that before the retards quit.

Since: Jan 09

Hanover

#123 Jun 2, 2011
Pink Eye wrote:
Where's Gburg Mom, Wendy? Wendy if your out there, I found you a job.
Sorry, you trouble maker, Wendy already has a job and sure wouldn't need your help even if she was looking for one!

Hanover

#124 Jun 2, 2011
Jeremy wrote:
I'm glad they are gone. I was always sick and tired of having to slow down because of them. I believe in natural selection. If you see a car coming, get out of the way. I do have a solution that would work well. It's called look both ways before crossing the street.
Now that they are gone, I can drive as fast as I want through that area. Not to say that I didnt do that before the retards quit.
Jeremy, I believe that you are using a description for them that fits you perfectly: RETARDS! Actually, I think a good description of your type would be IDIOT!!!

Two points for you to think about:
(1) If you are obeying the "school zone" speed limit, everyone would be much safer. That unmarked police car has a funny way of noticing speeders in the area. Which one, you ask, they have several different ones.
(2) Actually, nobody has to look out for cars when crossing a street in a "crosswalk". The driver of the car has to lookout for the pedestrian because the pedestrian has the right of way in a "crosswalk"(state law). That's not to say that a pedestrian shouldn't be attentive when crossing a street, but the primary responsibility still rests with the driver.
Jamal

Hanover, PA

#125 Jun 3, 2011
JustMyHonestOpinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeremy, I believe that you are using a description for them that fits you perfectly: RETARDS! Actually, I think a good description of your type would be IDIOT!!!
(1) If you are obeying the "school zone" speed limit, everyone would be much safer. That unmarked police car has a funny way of noticing speeders in the area. Which one, you ask, they have several different ones.
(2) Actually, nobody has to look out for cars when crossing a street in a "crosswalk". The driver of the car has to lookout for the pedestrian because the pedestrian has the right of way in a "crosswalk"(state law). That's not to say that a pedestrian shouldn't be attentive when crossing a street, but the primary responsibility still rests with the driver.
No...person walking must look before stepping onto road. Those faded white lines will not protect you from a 3,300 lb. automobile.

You need to cross only when it is safe. Drivers only need to stop if walkers are in between the lines on the road. People standing on the sidewalk you do not have to stop for them.
Jeremy

Leesport, PA

#126 Jun 3, 2011
<quoted text>
Unmarked police cars? That's funny. I guess I just lucked out every time I drove through there and never got stopped, right? As for pedestrians looking both ways before they cross the street. That is just common sense. Maybe you lack the sense to stop and look both ways before crossing the street. Who knows. Maybe if your mother spent less time in the back seat of strangers cars, she could have taught you things like this.
GEEEEEE

Hanover, PA

#127 Jun 3, 2011
<quoted text>
Sorry, you trouble maker, Wendy already has a job and sure wouldn't need your help even if she was looking for one!
Nothing wrong with Pink Eye. She was fun!

Hanover

#128 Jun 3, 2011
Jamal wrote:
<quoted text>No...person walking must look before stepping onto road. Those faded white lines will not protect you from a 3,300 lb. automobile.
You need to cross only when it is safe. Drivers only need to stop if walkers are in between the lines on the road. People standing on the sidewalk you do not have to stop for them.
That wasn't my point.

Technically, and legally, a person can step out in front of a car if they are in a crosswalk and if the car hits them, the driver is at fault. I'm not saying that this is a good thing to do but that is the law. Most all people driving thru that area are aware, or should be, that it is in a school zone and that there is a good possibility that school children will be crossing the streets in the area. It is just good common sense that the drivers should be more vigilant when traveling thru that area because students, especially young elementary students, often do not use good judgement regardless of what they have been taught or told to do.

If the school children are on the sidewalk and the crossing guard goes out into the street with a STOP sign, the driver must stop whether there is a painted crosswalk or not. I'll agree that the crossing guard should use good judgement considering the traffic before walking out into the street, but at times they do have to stop a continuous flow of traffic and get the students across the street.

Hanover

#129 Jun 3, 2011
Jeremy wrote:
<quoted text>
Unmarked police cars? That's funny. I guess I just lucked out every time I drove through there and never got stopped, right? As for pedestrians looking both ways before they cross the street. That is just common sense. Maybe you lack the sense to stop and look both ways before crossing the street. Who knows. Maybe if your mother spent less time in the back seat of strangers cars, she could have taught you things like this.
First of all, I think you may be confusing YOUR mother with my mother, because your mother obviously didn't teach you to respect a person (a crossing guard, in this case) of authority or traffic laws, especially in a school zone!

Now back to the subject at hand, we're not talking about normal grown pedestrians here, this topic is mainly about young elementary school students. Young children often don't do things that an older person would do, even if they have been taught or told the correct way to cross a street. I won't argue that "looking both ways before they cross the street" isn't a good idea but in this case they are basically under the control of the crossing guard and the traffic is legally required to obey that persons STOP sign when they step out into the street.
shim

Newville, PA

#130 Jun 6, 2011
Yes married with kids and not asking someone else to watch out for them. Let me guess your kid is one that walks to school and needs a sitter to watch them. Not seeing other school district parents crying the blues about crossing guards. What makes u think I can skate?
also wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you married? How many kids do you have? Also why did you skate around the question I posed earlier? How many school districts do you know of that does not have crossing guards that kids don't walk to school? How about you fix the problem for all the parents in this district and become the head person and propose a plan to offer transportation ( busses or vans) without spiking taxes on the taxpayers. After all you seem to have all the words of "great intelligence".
Jeremy

Leesport, PA

#131 Jun 7, 2011
<quoted text>
First of all, I think you may be confusing YOUR mother with my mother, because your mother obviously didn't teach you to respect a person (a crossing guard, in this case) of authority or traffic laws, especially in a school zone!
Now back to the subject at hand, we're not talking about normal grown pedestrians here, this topic is mainly about young elementary school students. Young children often don't do things that an older person would do, even if they have been taught or told the correct way to cross a street. I won't argue that "looking both ways before they cross the street" isn't a good idea but in this case they are basically under the control of the crossing guard and the traffic is legally required to obey that persons STOP sign when they step out into the street.
No, I was thinking about your cheap wh0re of a mother. I got it right the first time. By the way, you should tell her to wash her a$$ once in a while.
Now as for me not having respect for authority, you are wrong AGAIN!!! I do have respect for authority. However, I don't have ANY respect for women. You women can be on the rag in the kitchen. Not in the workforce.
Lets talk

Hanover, PA

#132 Jun 7, 2011
Jeremy wrote:
<quoted text>No, I was thinking about your cheap wh0re of a mother. I got it right the first time. By the way, you should tell her to wash her a$$ once in a while.
Now as for me not having respect for authority, you are wrong AGAIN!!! I do have respect for authority. However, I don't have ANY respect for women. You women can be on the rag in the kitchen. Not in the workforce.
Rejected a time or two huh? I see why!!!!
Linda Wagone

Hanover, PA

#133 Jun 7, 2011
Lets talk wrote:
<quoted text>
Rejected a time or two huh? I see why!!!!
Reminds me of the Purple Ravens guy.

But then again, maybe he knows Just My Opinion?
Lets talk

Hanover, PA

#134 Jun 7, 2011
Linda Wagone wrote:
<quoted text>Reminds me of the Purple Ravens guy.

But then again, maybe he knows Just My Opinion?
I agree!

Hanover

#135 Jun 7, 2011
Lets talk wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree!
Which part do you agree with?
I can guarantee you he doesn't know me and I don't have any idea who he is!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 27 min Gainesville 7,128
News Police: Littlestown woman bites child as discip... Sep 17 Crazy Mofos 2
Utz buys Golden Flake Jul '16 jim thompson 1
Lovely School Taxes (Jan '12) Jul '16 Jan 22
News Last chance to get free fresh produce from Agen... Jul '16 test 1
Kitchen Fitters Manchester Jul '16 ceagceog432 1
News Vigil in Gettysburg honors victims of violence Jun '16 Davenport 2

Hanover Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance