Crossing guards quit over 'extremely ...

Crossing guards quit over 'extremely dangerous' intersection

There are 134 comments on the Evening Sun story from May 28, 2011, titled Crossing guards quit over 'extremely dangerous' intersection. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Crossing guard Don Mummert, of McSherrystown, helps students walk across Wilson Avenue in Hanover last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Who is on First

Shippensburg, PA

#1 May 28, 2011
That intersection is treacherous and needs to be fixed - I think a four way stop sign or a stop lights would do the trick with a notice that fines triple for those who are caught breaking the law.
Anonymous

Hanover, PA

#2 May 29, 2011
A four way stop sign would make that intersection even more crazy. Imagine all the accidents they'd have there then. A traffic light? Please.

These people are being overly dramatic. Cross the road the same way everyone has always done and you've been taught. Safely and look for traffic. People have places to go. The intersection has always been this way and I've never heard of anyone getting killed. Accidents do happen and they can be anywhere.

The problem is all these solutions are not viable outside of that couple minute window. Traffic is non existent outside of the 8 and 3(4, what have you).

Don't forget most of the idiot drivers around there are the ones dropping and picking their kids up, so why don't we start there? Let's not forget also the blight that is the middle school parents now routed out on Fame Avenue. They don't even look before they pull out half the time and you see them on cell phones.
Taxpayer

Carlisle, PA

#3 May 29, 2011
I dont understand this. Hanover and Penn Township have always perfectly planned all of their expansion and building up in the area. And now we have a traffic problem and the roads cant handle it? What a shock. Maybe they should just close that road that heads back to the industrial area and the township building.....and make it kind of like WalMart...one way in and one way out. I am sure that will keep the children safe. Everyone will just have to sit in traffic longer but what is the difference. Lets build another bank...we need another bank.
Parents

Hanover, PA

#4 May 29, 2011
I agree that most of the problem lies with the parents dropping off the kids or picking them up. Let those kids walk and you reduce the traffic. It wouldn't hurt kids to walk a little more.
Doubting Tommy

Hanover, PA

#5 May 29, 2011
Hmmm...this sounds like a set-up job. It wouldn't surprise me if the crossing guards are still on the payroll and this was a scheme to get publicity for a traffic light that they want.
mr Hanover

Havertown, PA

#6 May 29, 2011
Those crossing gaurds are idiots anyway. Of course the street is dangerous there's CARS DRIVING? learn to use that sign an some authority an maby you'll be able to cross kids like they've been doing for I don't know, ever!
Observer

Baltimore, MD

#7 May 29, 2011
mr Hanover wrote:
Those crossing gaurds are idiots anyway. Of course the street is dangerous there's CARS DRIVING? learn to use that sign an some authority an maby you'll be able to cross kids like they've been doing for I don't know, ever!
Totally uncalled for. Please post some proof that they are "idiots"
whiz

Hanover, PA

#8 May 29, 2011
not just the parents on the cell phones ever see the kids coming out driving the traffic is bad when school letting out and going in so who would be the people to talk to when its the parents and students themselves creating the hazard
duh

Chambersburg, PA

#9 May 29, 2011
MAYBE THE ANSWER is
"BUSSES" THEN OUR POOR KIDS WOULD NOT HAVE TO WALK DUH..........
bugs

Hanover, PA

#10 May 29, 2011
Cops need to do their job at that intersection or get FIRED. The cops of any town have a job to do and need to do it. School kids and other peds need to cross the streets more so at certains times can and will be hurt or killed. So I agree with the two crossing guards that resigned full heartedly. The cops need to stay out of the coffee and donut shops and spend more time on the streets to protect the public against the vehicular muderers.
Jennifer Robinson-Hanover

Hanover, PA

#11 May 29, 2011
So Barb Krebs has only just learned of this problem since taking over in January? And she has been in the borough and groomed for her job for how many years???
cynthia greco

Mount Wolf, PA

#12 May 29, 2011
I go through here everyday. The police ARE there. And they do watch. The problem isn't parents dropping off, it's just a busy area. There are kids from HMS and the high school all exiting at the same time. Lights would help. I think the expense of lights is worth our kid's safety. Buses will only raise taxes.
Voice

Greencastle, PA

#13 May 29, 2011
Maybe it would be safer if the crossing guards wore big stupid hats?
Tax Payer

Hanover, PA

#14 May 29, 2011
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally uncalled for. Please post some proof that they are "idiots"
I agree with Mr. Hanover, the crossing guards at that intersection were not at all controlling that intersection well. One person with some actual common sense, and not what Wolfe states she tried to use in the article, would do just fine. This decision to resign with less then a week or so before school ends is a ploy on their part and on the school board's part. And it's typical of the school's behavior as indicated in their previous actions when trying to make decisions to build or renovate school buildings. The thought process of this board lacks intelligence
My thoughts

Hanover, PA

#15 May 29, 2011
Delone Catholic Squires 56
Hanover 0
walk

Thompsontown, PA

#16 May 29, 2011
some of these kids are too young to walk, 5th grade, i dont think so then the kids would be in more danger of all the sex predators here in hanover. How about a 4 way its a busy intersection, its too many people there at one time and 1 cop cant see it all, arent our children worth it? or should someone get killed,hey then they can name the road after the dead person that would fix everything, hanover can just turn there head a pretend like they dont know there is a problem
Common Tater

Hanover, PA

#17 May 29, 2011
This cracks me up...first off, when I went to HHS we had NO crossing guards at that intersection-- no one died. Cars back then picked up in the REAR of the school-- they turned in at Moul and MOST came out the back and went either left or right on Wilson. I don't remember many parents picking up kids...we WALKED! Also, E Walnut St was open to Eisenhower Dr so there were other routes to take instead of all traffic bleeding onto Moul. Hanover created this problem. Move the pick up back to the rear and it will help!
Common Tater

Hanover, PA

#18 May 29, 2011
One more suggestion-- how about different dismissal times for Middle and High School? 15 minutes would make a difference!
Irritated

Muncy, PA

#19 May 29, 2011
I agree with having a light there, completely. However, I take offense at being called an "idiot" simply because I happen to be one of the parents driving my child to school in the morning. It is extremely unfair to blame all of the ignorance on a handful. And as for being routed out onto Fame, well that was not our decision. I do not like having my child walking to school when she has to cross two major streets and than the possibility of the many perverts as well. In my opinion all of this would be solved if the school district would simply hold some major fund raisers, SOMETHING, and get these kids buses. Everyone wants to blame us, but I've seen many people flying through there simply to get to Moulstown Rd to head to work. So, instead of blaming each other how about we all be smart enough to abide posted traffic laws, make sure we start having more police there to actually ENFORCE it and start taking action with Hanover and its school to do something positive about this problem!
Jake

Harrisburg, PA

#20 May 29, 2011
Common Tater wrote:
This cracks me up...first off, when I went to HHS we had NO crossing guards at that intersection-- no one died. Cars back then picked up in the REAR of the school-- they turned in at Moul and MOST came out the back and went either left or right on Wilson. I don't remember many parents picking up kids...we WALKED! Also, E Walnut St was open to Eisenhower Dr so there were other routes to take instead of all traffic bleeding onto Moul. Hanover created this problem. Move the pick up back to the rear and it will help!
Back when you went to school there weren't people driving and talking on the phone, and the general level of respect for others amongst the public was much greater. Now, too many people care about their phone conversation or their destination more than the safety of someone else. I'm not saying your suggestion isn't worthwhile, it is, but times are so much more dangerous for kids walking to and from school. To emphasize, the point, many schools now have their cross country runners stay on the school property because it's become so dangerous to let the kids run on the roads.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) Aug 18 Lippy has a small... 7,379
News Hanover-area man charged in child sex sting (Aug '12) Aug 13 Gettysburg shucks... 7
Review: Dean's Auto Plaza (Sep '13) Aug 7 Archie 15
Pa. Game commisssion sucks (Nov '11) Aug 5 badcomm 31
News Police log: Subject defecated on a porch Jun '17 Steve Gratman 5
Fill dirt Jun '17 Steve Gratman 6
Review: Hanover School Of Ballet (Aug '11) Jun '17 olddancemom 4

Hanover Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hanover Mortgages