Data on teacher pay

Data on teacher pay

There are 375 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Aug 26, 2010, titled Data on teacher pay. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Gwen Solito wrote superintendents should be embarrassed since teachers earn "only $35,000 to support their family," which seemed awfully low.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Paul

Dover, PA

#21 Aug 28, 2010
Just_Me
20 hrs ago T Ruth wrote:
<quoted text>And not only does the school district pay for most of those credits, the teachers get automatic increases when they hit certain post graduate levels.
Do you have proof of these claims?
jones
AOL

Yes, it is fact, have a son that has been there and done that. I do his taxes.
Joe

Hanover, PA

#22 Aug 28, 2010
Juan wrote:
You people are amazing. Do you really think that teachers sit around for 3 months doing nothing? When do they get all of the mandated education requirements? In the summer of course.
I used to think like many of you until I decided to be a teacher when I was in college. I changed my major because it wasn't worth it. I have the oppurtunity now to make much more than the average teacher with my MBA. I just couldn't fathom working at the same place for 40 years so I can retire making the top wage of about 80,000. That is insane
I've worked in law offices where lawyers who have 7 years post-high school education, working 70+ hours per week, with more continuing education requirements than teachers and have that much experience are barely making $80,000 per year.

Most people in PA will never earn $80,000 a year no matter how many years they work.
lets do it ourselves

Mechanicsburg, PA

#23 Aug 28, 2010
Education would be a lot cheaper if we would all volunteer in our schools. Schools and education benefit the community so we should all take pride in that process and become the teachers ourselves. If we just fired all the teachers we could all take turns volunteering in the classrooms to teach the students. There...no more ridiculous teacher salaries...truly free education. So who's willing to volunteer their time to teach these kids? Lets face it we are all way smarter than those teachers *cough* babysitters; I'm 100% positive I could make all my students pass the PSSAs. It couldn't really be that hard. right? Hmmmm...
lets do it ourselves

Mechanicsburg, PA

#24 Aug 28, 2010
Oh almost forgot guys. I have been watching a ton of Boy Meets World and have been paying particular attention to Mr. Feeny. Just like everyone else on this board I now know everything there is to know about teaching (even though I have been never been a teacher). I'm thinking every volunteer in our new free school should have to watch at least ten hours of Boy Meets World before volunteering. The advanced course on teaching is studying Mr. Turner on BMW...I mean a teacher with a MOTORCYCLE! that is so effing cool! Teachers are stupid...lets make them all into soilent green.
Say No To Baby Factories

Arlington, VA

#25 Aug 28, 2010
I love when teachers whine that they have to work all sumer to get lesson plans together and how they have to take more classes etc. How many people held a gun to your head and told you that you had to become a teacher? If you do not like the job, shut up and change careers. I personally do not want to hear your incessant whining.
Working in Health Care

York, PA

#27 Aug 28, 2010
jones wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only me but every taxpayer/homeowner that thinks they will have to bail out an underfunded teachers pension that gets worse every year with no way out but us for bailing out a broke pension fund. Any more than two words on how to bail out all your fellow teachers on early pension by contributing more than you now do for yourself and future retirees.
You've lived to long and got used to too much of expecting the taxpayer giving you raises every year til you reach the $100,000.00 you think you deserve. We know enough will never be enough for you. Time for the State and public pensions to go broke and let the Feds take you over like all the industry pensions that have gone to the Feds. Obama has a new and improved health care for you. It's the same as all of us get. What makes you think you deserve to bleed the taxpayer over and beyond what they have to pay for your pension and medical benefits?
The underfunded teachers' pension was passed when TOM RIDGE and GEORGE W. BUSH, REPUBLICIANS, were in office. Obama was not even a U.S. senator in 2001. Jones,- get your facts in order. Obama had nothing to do with PA teachers' salaries nor their benefits when this law was passed.
Teacher Haters

York, PA

#29 Aug 29, 2010
Teachers are overpaid, off all of the time, go to the pool and beach all summer, don't work hard, don't help PSSA scors, are lazy, are babysitters.... Sounds like a fun job. Wouldn't it make sense for all of these teacher hagters on here to go back and become a teacher since it is so easy? When the haters do some reflecting, they know they could never handle 23 students all day like I do!!!!!!!!!!
jones

AOL

#30 Aug 29, 2010
Working in Health Care wrote:
<quoted text>
The underfunded teachers' pension was passed when TOM RIDGE and GEORGE W. BUSH, REPUBLICIANS, were in office. Obama was not even a U.S. senator in 2001. Jones,- get your facts in order. Obama had nothing to do with PA teachers' salaries nor their benefits when this law was passed.
Read my post again, I never said Obama had anything to do with the grossly underfunded psers pension.
Facts

York, PA

#31 Aug 29, 2010
Teachers pay 1/3 of their pension. That is a chunk out of their paycheck each pay period. Teachers pay union dues which are taken out of their paycheck. Teachers pay medical benefits that are taken out of their paychecks. Throw in Social Security and the rest of the taxes that all workers pay. A teacher takes home a small part of the high salaries reported on websites and this editorial. Compared to someone working in the corporate world for profit, a teacher does not get a matching 401 K, or a company car, or an expense account for the month, or reimbursement for food, home allowances, cell phone, internet, and travel. A teacher can't work from home. My point is that people need facts to make sound comments about the importance of the role of a teacher in the lives of students. Remember, teachers have educated all of the doctors, lawyers, nurses, presidents, and other citizens. Respect the role of a teacher. In most Asian and European countries, teachers, principals and supers are the highest paid workers in the society. Maybe we need to follow the patterns that work in other countries by paying our educators like they are in the corporate world.
Say No To Baby Factories

Jersey Shore, PA

#32 Aug 29, 2010
Facts wrote:
Teachers pay 1/3 of their pension. That is a chunk out of their paycheck each pay period. Teachers pay union dues which are taken out of their paycheck. Teachers pay medical benefits that are taken out of their paychecks. Throw in Social Security and the rest of the taxes that all workers pay. A teacher takes home a small part of the high salaries reported on websites and this editorial. Compared to someone working in the corporate world for profit, a teacher does not get a matching 401 K, or a company car, or an expense account for the month, or reimbursement for food, home allowances, cell phone, internet, and travel. A teacher can't work from home. My point is that people need facts to make sound comments about the importance of the role of a teacher in the lives of students. Remember, teachers have educated all of the doctors, lawyers, nurses, presidents, and other citizens. Respect the role of a teacher. In most Asian and European countries, teachers, principals and supers are the highest paid workers in the society. Maybe we need to follow the patterns that work in other countries by paying our educators like they are in the corporate world.
And in those countries, the salaries are earned. They do not have off for three months every summer. They do not have unions to protect the worthless scumbags, and they probably do not have tenure to keep the old farts around long after they lose the ability to inspire the students.

Once again, no one put a gun to your head and told you that you must be a teacher. Quit your whining or get another profession.
What the

York, PA

#33 Aug 29, 2010
Say No To Baby Factories wrote:
AN education does not make one a teacher. How about we switch pay scales to the ability of the teacher to teach. There is no excuse for the horrible PSSA scores we have in this area. Tenure and unions have all but destroyed the teaching profession.
Sounds like a good idea. Except that some schools or classrooms get more of the learning support, kids of parents who don't care or have no clue, kids who speak 3 words of English. So how could this pay system work?? The problem is kids who don't care (Xbox, PS2 all that) and parents who don't care and think the whole process is the schools responsibility to raise their kids.
What the

York, PA

#34 Aug 29, 2010
Say No To Baby Factories wrote:
<quoted text>
And in those countries, the salaries are earned. They do not have off for three months every summer. They do not have unions to protect the worthless scumbags, and they probably do not have tenure to keep the old farts around long after they lose the ability to inspire the students.
Once again, no one put a gun to your head and told you that you must be a teacher. Quit your whining or get another profession.
Hey, If you wanted 3 months of the year off, you coulda stepped up to the plate and became a teacher as well. Apparently you couldn't face the challenge of staying late most nights to prepare for the next day, going to in service training during the summer (that's right in the summer, over the 3 months off), working at home for several hours most nights correcting papers all for no overtime or compensation. We don't even need to get into the student and family support system of today, vs 25 years ago..... This 3 months off a year thing is getting old.... After the BS teachers put up with for 9 months, they have more than earned it...
GASD parent

Newville, PA

#35 Aug 29, 2010
Celebrate Diversity wrote:
Those salaries are incredible. Teachers really are lazy, greedy, scumbags.
I don't know you and what you do for a living but I would never criticise you without knowing you and your personal abilities. Did you graduate from high school?
GASD parent

Newville, PA

#36 Aug 29, 2010
Obvious Guy wrote:
I can't fathom someone earning $80,000 for 9 months of work to teach seventh grade math. If you annualize that, it's over $106,000. To teach basic math? Seriously? How do they justify this with a straight face?
Is someone who's been teaching the exact same material for 30 years more qualified to teach it than someone who has been doing it for 5 years?
As far as I know, there haven't been many advances is grammar or basic math principles in the last few hundred years to justify these kinds of salaries for the exact same work.
This is appaling.
You need to go observe in a school TODAY. You have no idea what you are talking about. Schools are not the same as 30 years ago. Students are not learning the same material and further more not in the same way. Teachers not only teach but are more like part of the student's family today. Please take my suggestion and you will eat your words.
What the

York, PA

#37 Aug 29, 2010
GASD parent wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to go observe in a school TODAY. You have no idea what you are talking about. Schools are not the same as 30 years ago. Students are not learning the same material and further more not in the same way. Teachers not only teach but are more like part of the student's family today. Please take my suggestion and you will eat your words.
Absolutely true...!! If most people who graduated high school more than 15 years ago would just spend a day in a large suburban high school I don't think they could walk out the front door without tripping over their jaw it would be hanging so low... It's a small city all of itself...
Thesportsnut

Akron, PA

#38 Aug 29, 2010
Teachers picked their professions, the general sect picked theirs.

Compensation for teachers is fair. Not great. Not bad. Fair.

The benefits are MUCH better than the general public. The pension is MUCH better than the general public. No one gets to retire at 55 anymore, except a teacher or a military official.

The state will have to do something about the pension shortfall, and that should include switching to an all out 401k/IRA with maximum contributions (recollection is it's 20%) provided by the taxpayers. The state does not pay a teacher's salary, the taxpayers do.

Then, regarding health insurance, co-pays and premiums should be more in line with the general public, but better than the general public.

Teachers have a tough job. So there must be balance here. The teachers cannot be regarded just as a general public or private business associate. They deserve a lot more consideration than the general public gives them a lot of times, but, for the sake of taxes, there must now be balance.

Pensions to the degree financed by the public up until now must stop and benefits must be more in line.
Sam

York, PA

#39 Aug 29, 2010
Teachers are way overpaid, no home owner should support their retirement!!!!!! Teachers should save their money just like anyone else and get rid of their union, cut their benefits ect. just like factory workers, getting screwed teachers are not from another planet. Why do the teachers think they are better than anyone else????
GIEP

Lancaster, PA

#40 Aug 29, 2010
What the wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a good idea. Except that some schools or classrooms get more of the learning support, kids of parents who don't care or have no clue, kids who speak 3 words of English. So how could this pay system work?? The problem is kids who don't care (Xbox, PS2 all that) and parents who don't care and think the whole process is the schools responsibility to raise their kids.
What "teacher" means to me:
Artless, dangerous, monotonously soporific, lifelessly tedious, inflexibly dense, disingenuous, repetitive, duplicitous ideologues of narcisism utilizing their bully pulpit to enrich themselves and stifle creativity while spouting nonsense about the unwillingness of their pupils to "learn" while persistently denying any accountability for providing a safe and nurturing learning environment in which academic material is presented at an appropriate pace.
What the

York, PA

#41 Aug 29, 2010
Sam wrote:
Teachers are way overpaid, no home owner should support their retirement!!!!!! Teachers should save their money just like anyone else and get rid of their union, cut their benefits ect. just like factory workers, getting screwed teachers are not from another planet. Why do the teachers think they are better than anyone else????
So Sam, a bit bitter from a career of putting nuts on a bolt 8 hours a day in some hot factory all your life?? How many times has 'I should have gone to school" gone through your head while you thought.. "righty tighty"...
In The Know

Mount Wolf, PA

#42 Aug 29, 2010
Here's the story behind the story.

I love this data and what it tells us about how much salaries in York County for teachers would have to be jacked up at taxpayer expense if school districts consolidated.

Millions per district in cost to lift teacher salaries up to a Dallastown-West Shore level.

But here is a dead serious warning.

The author of this article is Judith Higgins, who has been a tax and spend, business as usual member of the Eastern York School Board.

I think that the author, Judith Higgins, put this story into the newspaper to change her image in time for the next school board election at Eastern.

Don't be fooled.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) Dec 9 Zoo 72 7,455
Snyder's Lance - Morrisville NC Dec 5 John Doe 11
Rumor: McSherrystown Bypass is near. Nov 28 Mike _ Brushtown 1
traffic in mcsherrystown (Apr '13) Nov 22 Mike 2
News Area Trick-or-Treat nights set (Oct '10) Oct '17 JT100uk 40
Fill dirt (Jun '17) Aug '17 Ticklish 10
News Hanover-area man charged in child sex sting (Aug '12) Aug '17 Walt 11

Hanover Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hanover Mortgages