'SlutWalks' put provocative message i...

'SlutWalks' put provocative message in the streets

There are 42 comments on the Evening Sun story from May 6, 2011, titled 'SlutWalks' put provocative message in the streets. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

This social movement really gets around. An international series of protests known as SlutWalks, sparked by a Toronto police officer's flippant comment that women should avoid dressing like "sluts" to avoid being raped or victimized, is taking root in the United States.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

shim

Hanover, PA

#25 May 7, 2011
Uh - Oh
TRUEPatriot wrote:
<quoted text>
God bless you, grandma. Yours was the greatest generation. All these punks today care about is drinking scotch, shooting smack and picking up bimbos off the street. I don't know what's become of our great country but I can assure you it's mostly Bush's fault as well as Rumsfeld.
Disgusted

Chambersburg, PA

#26 May 7, 2011
Childfree Senior wrote:
If this is what society has been reduced to I as an old lady am grateful that I do not have children to inherit this rotten world. When men go to inner city parks to try to pick up 10 year old girls there is something wrong with this country. When the children's parks are filled with druggies, there is something wrong with this country. I also thank God that I did not fight for it in WW2 since it has been reduced to vulgarity and violence.
It's my contention that the roots of the decadence that exists today in the Western world lies in the generation that made unprecedented sacrifices during and prior to World War II. Those causes were exacerbated during the extended throughout the Cold War years.

That WWII generation learned the hard way, through the horrors of warfare, that life is very tenuous at best, and it may be better to pursue as many of the pleasurable aspect of life as possible while one can.

That attitude influenced the way they raised their children. They became permissive, doting parents and in the process created a generation who eschewed those aspects of life that constrained what was once considered unacceptable behaviors.

Those less than desirable behavioral traits were subsequently past on to each succeeding generation in a way that further deteriorated civilized standards. And today we all bear the burden of what has transpired.

If you don't like things the way they are.... blame Grandma.
Anonymous

Hanover, PA

#27 May 7, 2011
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
It's my contention that the roots of the decadence that exists today in the Western world lies in the generation that made unprecedented sacrifices during and prior to World War II. Those causes were exacerbated during the extended throughout the Cold War years.
That WWII generation learned the hard way, through the horrors of warfare, that life is very tenuous at best, and it may be better to pursue as many of the pleasurable aspect of life as possible while one can.
That attitude influenced the way they raised their children. They became permissive, doting parents and in the process created a generation who eschewed those aspects of life that constrained what was once considered unacceptable behaviors.
Those less than desirable behavioral traits were subsequently past on to each succeeding generation in a way that further deteriorated civilized standards. And today we all bear the burden of what has transpired.
If you don't like things the way they are.... blame Grandma.
I agree. I've thought this for a long time. Also the parent's that think "my parents sucked because I was punished" that let their kids get away with murder. The 60's and 70's children are why we have such "free spirits".

“Show Me Your Man Titties!”

Since: Feb 11

Hanover, PA

#28 May 7, 2011
Childfree Senior wrote:
If this is what society has been reduced to I as an old lady am grateful that I do not have children to inherit this rotten world. When men go to inner city parks to try to pick up 10 year old girls there is something wrong with this country. When the children's parks are filled with druggies, there is something wrong with this country. I also thank God that I did not fight for it in WW2 since it has been reduced to vulgarity and violence.
Maybe if you dressed a little sexier you would have some children.
Justice Prevails

Spring Grove, PA

#31 May 7, 2011
Woman, get in that kitchen in your bare feet and make me dinner. When I'm done eating you can rub my feet, do my laundry and clean up my clothes before you go to work. Now get moving.
nerak

Newville, PA

#32 May 7, 2011
it seems like malls have been sponsering these walks for years.
What you need

Hanover, PA

#33 May 7, 2011
Purple Ravens in Valdosta wrote:
<quoted text>No usually us men who do get it when we want, do not think so highly of women. It is those deperate guys that beg for it who don't get it.
I have seen you Dickie. You either have to pay for it or the poor thing is blind. What is that in your pants? A cellphone or are you happy to see me?
huh

Spring Grove, PA

#34 May 7, 2011
I wish protesting Sharia Law would become trendy.
COMMUNIST

Carlisle, PA

#35 May 8, 2011
OH MY ,, what is FREEDOM about???
COMMUNIST

Carlisle, PA

#36 May 8, 2011
nerak wrote:
it seems like malls have been sponsering these walks for years.
OH ,,,,,,,,,, MY what is FREEDOM about?? if they did this in Iran those women would be shot on the spot !!
tired

Shippensburg, PA

#37 May 8, 2011
Bottom line, You dress like a slut, you draw attention to yourself. Guys swoon over chicks that dress like pigs. How often do you see a man hit on a girl who is dressed in sweatpants & a t-shirt? If you want to dress like a slut, stand on the street corner. Why should your a** cheeks hang out or your t*ts be exposed?? To me, that has "PIG" written all over it.You reap what you sow.
Barn E Fife

York, PA

#38 May 8, 2011
How about the women who dress like sluts and get mad at you when they catch you looking at them. How stupid could someone possibly be? To dress provocatively in public and think it is wrong for anyone (except the men at their job that they are trying to seduce) to look at them. They should all do what the strippers at THE BLOCK do. Take a robe and wear it over their slut suit in public so only the meat they are intending it for get to see it. Thank heavens Thelma Lou was a good girl.
Lester in New Oxford

Gettysburg, PA

#39 May 8, 2011
If it walks like a Duck and Quacks like a Duck.....

Since: Aug 08

Hanover, PA

#40 May 8, 2011
what if it walks like a duck, and moo's like a cow. Would that be OK?

Since: Dec 07

Arlington, VA

#41 May 8, 2011
What you need wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been following your comments for a long time and did not realize you had an issue with "differently sexed". Thought you were more open minded.
I accept what psychiatrists tell us about people who are not plain-old straight ("them"), and I believe they are entitled to equal rights under the law so far as government actions, but I personally don't enjoy being around them and usually avoid them if possible. What impresses me as pathological about them are two things:(1) an obsession with making everyone aware of their sexual differences, even when not engaged in sexual behavior which is traditionally private; and (2) a sense that reality as most of us experience it is not sufficient for them, hence their affinity for exaggeration, drama and fantasy, and a tendency to hold unrealistic views. I believe the evolution of the American Psychiatric Associations's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual's treatment of homosexuality is in some sense political as well as medical. There was probably some truth to the now-abandoned diagnosis of "ego-dystonic" homosexuality which is not in sync with the "real" person and is therefore a disorder and pathological. In my experience, I've never known any of them who do not also have other significant psychological issues, but I've never known many and don't want to. To that extent, my mind is closed on the matter and unlikely to reopen.
Karen

Grahamstown, South Africa

#42 May 9, 2011
Although I don't love the name (I'm not a fan of sexist terms that reinforce the sexual double standard), I am all for the cause. It's inconceivable that some people in this day and age are still attempting to defend the morality of rapists. What a shame that even some women will go along with the rapists' scapegoating, saying things like "she wanted it" and "look at that skirt she was wearing."

STOP THE WAR ON WOMEN'S BODIES. To all the hypocrites out there who are all for the equalities and liberties that our societies boast, yet don't like the fundamental right of women to express their sexuality equally as men, then go to Saudi Arabia (or hell, mostly anywhere else in the world outside of the West, in which women are treated as dirt EVEN WHEN THEY'RE COVERED FROM HEAD TO TOE).

p.s- Is it just me, or are there a lot of rapists on this page? I guess we will find out with the number of comments/marks against this post.
Laura

United States

#43 May 9, 2011
Karen wrote:
Although I don't love the name (I'm not a fan of sexist terms that reinforce the sexual double standard), I am all for the cause. It's inconceivable that some people in this day and age are still attempting to defend the morality of rapists. What a shame that even some women will go along with the rapists' scapegoating, saying things like "she wanted it" and "look at that skirt she was wearing."
STOP THE WAR ON WOMEN'S BODIES. To all the hypocrites out there who are all for the equalities and liberties that our societies boast, yet don't like the fundamental right of women to express their sexuality equally as men, then go to Saudi Arabia (or hell, mostly anywhere else in the world outside of the West, in which women are treated as dirt EVEN WHEN THEY'RE COVERED FROM HEAD TO TOE).
p.s- Is it just me, or are there a lot of rapists on this page? I guess we will find out with the number of comments/marks against this post.
Right on, sister! All of these neanderthals who want to control our bodies every which way need to take a hike. First they say we're begging for it because we wear a mini skirt and fishnet hose and then they won't let us have an abortion after we're knocked up. It's a new day for women, I tell you, and we can now make our own decisions about our bodies. We can even stop shaving if we want to express our feminism that way. And remember guys, we really don't need you anymore with the incredibly diverse selection of sex toys that are available for every occasion.
not surprised

United States

#44 May 9, 2011
Laura wrote:
<quoted text>
Right on, sister! All of these neanderthals who want to control our bodies every which way need to take a hike. First they say we're begging for it because we wear a mini skirt and fishnet hose and then they won't let us have an abortion after we're knocked up. It's a new day for women, I tell you, and we can now make our own decisions about our bodies. We can even stop shaving if we want to express our feminism that way. And remember guys, we really don't need you anymore with the incredibly diverse selection of sex toys that are available for every occasion.
This is pathetic. So women dress like hookers and then complain when they get the wrong kind of attention. Wow. Does dressing like a slut guarantee you'll be assaulted...no. But it certainly changes the odds. Any woman with half a brain should be able to figure that out. Let's say I was in Baltimore city at the inner harbor. If I walk down the street flashing a big wad of cash around , does this mean I deserved to be robbed? No, of course not , but it certainly increases the odds. So go ahead and walk around dressed like a hooker and then continue to act surprised when something bad happens to you. I seriously hope most of the women dressing like this aren't raising daughters.
Laura

United States

#45 May 9, 2011
not surprised wrote:
<quoted text>
This is pathetic. So women dress like hookers and then complain when they get the wrong kind of attention. Wow. Does dressing like a **** guarantee you'll be assaulted...no. But it certainly changes the odds. Any woman with half a brain should be able to figure that out. Let's say I was in Baltimore city at the inner harbor. If I walk down the street flashing a big wad of cash around , does this mean I deserved to be robbed? No, of course not , but it certainly increases the odds. So go ahead and walk around dressed like a hooker and then continue to act surprised when something bad happens to you. I seriously hope most of the women dressing like this aren't raising daughters.
First of all, why would anyone be in Baltimore with a wad? It's the STD capital of the world. Second, if you walk down the street flashing in New Orleans, they shower you with beads and lavish attention. Finally, we women who are raising our daughters to be proud of their bodies take exception to your attitude. My daughter and I parade around our home naked as jaybirds with our heads held high because we're proud of our bodies and the way God made them. It's the Islams you force women to cover up and be ashamed and I don't want that here.
Louis

United States

#46 May 9, 2011
Laura wrote:
I like this program because it's really aimed at empowering women. For too long we have been abused, manipulated and crapped on just because of our sex. Parading around in thongs and lacy bras gives us the feeling of power and freedom that we deserve, so what's the harm? I myself have been with both men and women and let me tell you, a woman knows how to find all the right spots much more so than any man.
If you prance around with your boobs hanging out you could be cited. Public indecency is on the rise and the fuzz want to put a stop to it. Go to a nude beach if that's how you get your cookies. I don't want for my young children to be forced to see your bare hooters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 33 min hey numb nuts 5,896
News Heroin sentence 12 years (Jun '10) Jun 24 gab 93
Review: Happy Nails Jun 14 Beachgirl 1
Snyder lance May '15 Torts 3
Review: Dean's Auto Plaza (Sep '13) May '15 Scott123 10
News 12-time DUI repeater gets up to 7 years in prison (Sep '08) Apr '15 Trista Biddle 23
News Half Pint Creamery plans second ice cream shop Mar '15 Fannie Pak 2
More from around the web

Hanover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Hanover Mortgages