Comments
3,261 - 3,280 of 3,931 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
TaxNoMore

Los Angeles, CA

#3527 Dec 3, 2012

Only now President Obamaís proposal is basically what he just ran on in his successful reelection campaign.

And itís got Boehner et al. flummoxed.

//////////

Feb. 23, 2009, following a

"Fiscal Responsibility Summit"

one month after his inauguration.

"Today I am pledging to cut the deficit we inherited in half by the end of my first term in office.

Now, this will not be easy.

It will require us to make difficult decisions and face challenges we've long neglected.

But I refuse to leave our children with a debt that they cannot repay, and that means taking responsibility right now, in this administration, for getting our spending under control."

He said then that the nationís $1.3 trillion deficit was the largest in the nationís history.

That figure was mostly unchanged through fiscal year 2011.

In 2012?

Itís expected to be $1.1 trillion, according to the nonpartisan researchers at the Congressional Budget Office in an August 2012 report.

Some good analysis of the rightwing reaction to Obama's deficit reduction proposal....
TaxNoMore

Los Angeles, CA

#3528 Dec 3, 2012
They are so used to just relying on the President to be the only adult in town that they've lost all capacity to actually govern.

Aaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa, ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha, ha,ha,ha
Dan the Man

Shippensburg, PA

#3529 Dec 3, 2012
Eric Cantor released the calendar for next year's Congress working days.

Here's the number of working days each month for the 113th Congress:

Jan - 8
Feb - 11
Mar - 12
Apr - 12
May - 12
Jun - 16
Jul - 14
Aug - 2
Sep - 9
Oct - 14
Nov - 8
Dec - 8

126 working days in a year.

That's 239 days off. That's 239 days of vacation.

I'll wait for the shrieks of outrage from our local rightwingers.

But I won't be holding my breath. LOL!
Dan the Man

Shippensburg, PA

#3530 Dec 3, 2012
You can view the majority leader's anemic calendar here:
http://majorityleader.gov/113thCongress1stSes...

I'm sure the right is simply LIVID over this!

LOL!
Actually

Quakertown, PA

#3531 Dec 3, 2012
Dan the Man wrote:
What Defines A Serious Deficit Proposal?
The Obama administrationís call for higher revenue through increased taxes on high incomes ó which actually goes considerably beyond just letting the Bush tax cuts for the top end expire ó gets treated with an unmistakable sneer in much political discussion, as if it were a trivial thing, more about staking out a populist position than it is about getting real on red ink.
On the other hand, the idea of raising the age of Medicare eligibility gets very respectful treatment ó now thatís serious.
So I thought Iíd look at the dollars and cents ó and even I am somewhat shocked. Those tax hikes would raise $1.6 trillion over the next decade; according to the CBO, raising the Medicare age would save $113 billion in federal funds over the next decade.
So, the non-serious proposal would reduce the deficit 14 TIMES AS MUCH as the serious proposal.
I guess we have to understand the definition of serious: a proposal is only serious if it punishes the poor and the middle class.
- Nobel Prize winning economist, Paul Krugman
Krugman is smoking his shorts!

Tax hikes of $1.6T =$160B each year for 10 years.
Medicare,#113B =$11.3B each year for 10 years.

That's $171.3B per year. Fine. Then you have Obama's spending of $1T per year, which leaves us $828.7B in deficit spending! Yeah, that really helps. NOT.

Oh, raising the Medicare age was Paul Ryan's idea, right?
Actually

Quakertown, PA

#3532 Dec 3, 2012
Dan the Man wrote:
Jan - 8
Feb - 11
Mar - 12
Apr - 12
May - 12
Jun - 16
Jul - 14
Aug - 2
Sep - 9
Oct - 14
Nov - 8
Dec - 8
Those are working days on the Hill. I'm going to advocate for both sides in that many of them, at least those in my area of both parties, are conducting business with their constituents. They are OUR elected representatives. I know that both Allyson Schwarts (D) 13th District and Mike Fitzpatrick (R) 8th District work very hard in their districts when they aren't in DC.
Rob Johnston

AOL

#3533 Dec 3, 2012
Dan the Man wrote:
Jan - 8
Feb - 11
Mar - 12
Apr - 12
May - 12
Jun - 16
Jul - 14
Aug - 2
Sep - 9
Oct - 14
Nov - 8
Dec - 8
Govt Workers always work less, have less accountibility, have more paid holidays, and enjoy more benefits and higher pensions than every one else who are forced into Slavery to Pay their Way.

For more on Obama's Plan for America...Google: North Korea.
Dan the Man

Shippensburg, PA

#3534 Dec 3, 2012
Actually wrote:
<quoted text>
Krugman is smoking his shorts!
Tax hikes of $1.6T =$160B each year for 10 years.
Medicare,#113B =$11.3B each year for 10 years.
That's $171.3B per year. Fine. Then you have Obama's spending of $1T per year, which leaves us $828.7B in deficit spending! Yeah, that really helps. NOT.
Oh, raising the Medicare age was Paul Ryan's idea, right?
That's 14 times as much deficit reduction, right? Krugman's correct, right? So why do you say he's smoking his shorts? He's RIGHT.

Nobody says Obama's plan zero's out the deficit. But it undeniably provides 14 times as much deficit reduction as the closest thing the Republicans have to a plan. That is just simple math.
Dan the Man

Shippensburg, PA

#3535 Dec 3, 2012
Actually wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are working days on the Hill. I'm going to advocate for both sides in that many of them, at least those in my area of both parties, are conducting business with their constituents. They are OUR elected representatives. I know that both Allyson Schwarts (D) 13th District and Mike Fitzpatrick (R) 8th District work very hard in their districts when they aren't in DC.
You mean they CAMPAIGN and FUNDRAISE very hard in their districts when they aren't in DC, right? Because that's what they're doing instead of the people's work.
Dan the Man

Shippensburg, PA

#3536 Dec 3, 2012
Rob Johnston wrote:
<quoted text>
Govt Workers always work less, have less accountibility, have more paid holidays, and enjoy more benefits and higher pensions than every one else who are forced into Slavery to Pay their Way.
For more on Obama's Plan for America...Google: North Korea.
Nope, still to far over the top. Try again.

LOL!
Actually

Quakertown, PA

#3537 Dec 3, 2012
Dan the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
That's 14 times as much deficit reduction, right? Krugman's correct, right? So why do you say he's smoking his shorts? He's RIGHT.
Nobody says Obama's plan zero's out the deficit. But it undeniably provides 14 times as much deficit reduction as the closest thing the Republicans have to a plan. That is just simple math.
I don't care. It's still NOT ENOUGH!!!!! It's still puts in hole for another $830B every year and $8.3T in 10 years, making our national debt $24T. At some point, our economy is going to collapse under all that weight.

This figure doesn't include that vast influx of baby boomers who will be coming into the Medicare and SS rolls over the next decade either.
Actually

Quakertown, PA

#3538 Dec 3, 2012
Dan the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean they CAMPAIGN and FUNDRAISE very hard in their districts when they aren't in DC, right? Because that's what they're doing instead of the people's work.
Who is your Congressional Rep? Is he/she out campaigning 24/7 when they aren't in DC? No, they aren't. Like I said, the D and R in my area actually meet with constituents, which is their job when they aren't voting on legislation in DC. If they don't, they get ousted. That's what happened to Patrick Murphy in 2010.

Face, I called your bluff, and you lost.
Dan the Man

Shippensburg, PA

#3539 Dec 3, 2012
Actually wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care. It's still NOT ENOUGH!!!!! It's still puts in hole for another $830B every year and $8.3T in 10 years, making our national debt $24T. At some point, our economy is going to collapse under all that weight.
This figure doesn't include that vast influx of baby boomers who will be coming into the Medicare and SS rolls over the next decade either.
The President's proposing 14 times more reduction than anything the GOP has proposed. Why aren't you on a rant about THEIR failure to address the problem? Why are your attacks solely reserved for the President?

BTW - where's the GOP plan anyway? Krugman's using the Ryan budget numbers, not an actual proposal on the table. Where's their plan? Do they even have one?
Dan the Man

Shippensburg, PA

#3540 Dec 3, 2012
Actually wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is your Congressional Rep? Is he/she out campaigning 24/7 when they aren't in DC? No, they aren't. Like I said, the D and R in my area actually meet with constituents, which is their job when they aren't voting on legislation in DC. If they don't, they get ousted. That's what happened to Patrick Murphy in 2010.
Face, I called your bluff, and you lost.
You called my bluff? When did that happen? Hell, when did I even bluff?

Eric Cantor has scheduled 126 working days for the next Congress, which never includes more than a 4 day workweek. And you're okay with that.

I get it - when your local legislators meet with constituents, it's work. But when the President meets with constituents, it's campaigning.

Not much for logical consistency, are you? LOL!
Actually

Quakertown, PA

#3541 Dec 3, 2012
Dan the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
The President's proposing 14 times more reduction than anything the GOP has proposed. Why aren't you on a rant about THEIR failure to address the problem? Why are your attacks solely reserved for the President?
BTW - where's the GOP plan anyway? Krugman's using the Ryan budget numbers, not an actual proposal on the table. Where's their plan? Do they even have one?
Where did I say the president? I was referencing Slugman. I don't care whose budget it is, it doesn't go far enough.

I say that we let the tax cuts expire on everyone, raise the retirement age, raise the cutoff in SS tax, and cut entitlements to only those who need them. Also, a 33% cut in defense spending would be a big help as well.

There, how's that?
Dan the Man

Shippensburg, PA

#3542 Dec 3, 2012
Actually wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I say the president? I was referencing Slugman. I don't care whose budget it is, it doesn't go far enough.
I say that we let the tax cuts expire on everyone, raise the retirement age, raise the cutoff in SS tax, and cut entitlements to only those who need them. Also, a 33% cut in defense spending would be a big help as well.
There, how's that?
That's a recipe for another recession. It's more severe than the "fiscal cliff" that everybody's screaming about.

So that's your proposal - wreck the economy. Where's the GOP proposal? Have you seen it?

BTW - we were both talking about the President's proposal. Not sure where you went off track with that.
Actually

Quakertown, PA

#3543 Dec 3, 2012
Dan the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a recipe for another recession. It's more severe than the "fiscal cliff" that everybody's screaming about.
So that's your proposal - wreck the economy. Where's the GOP proposal? Have you seen it?
BTW - we were both talking about the President's proposal. Not sure where you went off track with that.
Huh? The economy is already wrecked. We are still at stagnating 8% unemployment and minimal growth.

On another thread, you accuse me of being someone else. You need a reality check, pal. Have a nice day.
Rob Johnston

AOL

#3544 Dec 3, 2012
Dan the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Without a serious Pro America Leader in the White House Plans don't matter much. We all must waste no time in preparing our families for dramatically devalued future as nothing more than slaves to Big Bro/Big Union.
Dan the Man

Newville, PA

#3545 Dec 3, 2012
Actually wrote:
<quoted text>Huh? The economy is already wrecked. We are still at stagnating 8% unemployment and minimal growth.
On another thread, you accuse me of being someone else. You need a reality check, pal. Have a nice day.
Right. The economy is wrecked.

Except that GDP is growing, the economy is gaining jobs, unemployment is going down, the stock market is reaching new heights, and the auto industry is thriving.

But other than that, the economy is wrecked.

Come back when you can be serious.
Dan the Man

Newville, PA

#3546 Dec 3, 2012
Rob Johnston wrote:
<quoted text>
Without a serious Pro America Leader in the White House Plans don't matter much. We all must waste no time in preparing our families for dramatically devalued future as nothing more than slaves to Big Bro/Big Union.
Nope, not there yet. Keep trying.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) 1 hr EDDIE SWINDELL 161
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 4 hr just saying 51,312
Snyder's Lance 20 hr Virtual_Flesh 3
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) Aug 28 Ssl 5,426
Review: Dean's Auto Plaza (Sep '13) Aug 15 Nicole 7
York City man charged with murdering baby Aug 9 Joe Biden 1
Suburban Life: Towns band together to share lov... Jul '14 Black dude 1
•••
•••
•••

Hanover Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••