Hanover schools plan no tax hike

Hanover schools plan no tax hike

There are 33 comments on the Evening Sun story from Jun 5, 2011, titled Hanover schools plan no tax hike. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

The Hanover school board has decided not to raise its district's school taxes in 2011-12. The board approved a preliminary budget for next year that does not include a tax increase and reflects a 1.3-percent decrease in expenses.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sort of

Hanover, PA

#21 Jun 6, 2011
The bigger issue is IF you want to not increase taxes then make the tough calls and reduce spending. Don't spend the fund balance.
amazed

Gettysburg, PA

#22 Jun 6, 2011
Just wondering why Gettysburg School District has to raise taxes and some board members even wanted to go to the state and ask for an exception to the allowable amount, makes one wonder how other school districts do it!
Really

Gettysburg, PA

#23 Jun 6, 2011
Hanover Taxpayer wrote:
Thank You so much Hanover School Board! We really need this tax relief right now! If taxes would have gone up then, I would had been forced to sale my house. Thanks again for making this decision on the best interest for the taxpayers!
I assume that your house is not valued at more then $200,000, since very few are within the district. So, we are talking about $38 for the entire year had the board raised taxes. If that would have forced you to sell your house, then best of luck.
Teachers

Gettysburg, PA

#24 Jun 6, 2011
Thanks for nothing wrote:
Educators unite and refuse to take a pay freeze. Greed prevails.
The teachers took four days without pay, handing the district close to $300,000 for next year, administrators took a pay freeze and furlough days, two teachers have lost their jobs, another moved to half time (...worse then just losing your job), and endless programs have been cut. So yeah, teachers and district have done nothing to help. Hey, enjoy that $19 you are saving next year and buy yourself those 3-packs of cigarettes...
Actually

Gettysburg, PA

#25 Jun 6, 2011
Money Hungry wrote:
Give them what they want. Teachers just want a two hour delay written into their contract.
Teachers want just a bit of respect, or better yet, no comments. Oh, and parents that read to their kids and care about education. Besides that, teachers don't need anything...
Curious

Hanover, PA

#26 Jun 6, 2011
Really & Teachers & Actually (I am assuming you are all the same person since the posts were 3-4 minutes from each other and all are from Burlington, NJ).

It is very telling that you find it necessary to comment and heckle a poster thanking the board for holding taxes the same as last year. Taxpayers are tired of getting nailed each and every year for tax increases with absolutely nothing to show for it. There haven't been any significant gains in any measurements at HPSD despite the yearly tax increases.

As for the teachers - once again - the 4 day furlough saved about $250,000. However, instead of voting to forgo their pay increases as several districts in the vicinity chose to do, teachers have made their statement loud and clear. In doing so they cost the district about $600,000 in wages and benefits. So keep on ridiculing those who are tired of supporting and paying these types of salaries and increases when many of those who pay their salaries have lost their jobs or are not receiving increases. The 3-pack a day people unite. On another blog one teacher actually had the temerity to claim were we suppose to vote not for our increase?

As for the bit of respect you want - lets look at the score: 1) yearly increases to support the 4-1/2 % increase each year for 4 years; 2)no significant progress made in helping the kids attain better scores on PSSA or SAT's; 3)the massive increases in taxes which are about to occur in the next year and lasting for at least 20 years due to the PSERS fiasco that the teachers union caused should be enough to make them ashamed.

Here is little known fact - who will have to pay up when the pension fund fails due to the incompetence of those running it? Teachers, administrators etc? No. It is the taxpayers burden. In what other job could your pension be safe despite serious incompetence and misuse and others have to pay for it.
Yo Yo Yo

Mount Joy, PA

#27 Jun 7, 2011
Yea, What curious said... I concur.
Hanover Taxpayer

Hanover, PA

#28 Jun 7, 2011
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume that your house is not valued at more then $200,000, since very few are within the district. So, we are talking about $38 for the entire year had the board raised taxes. If that would have forced you to sell your house, then best of luck.
Obviously you are not on a fixed income where you haven't had an increase in living in several years! People wouldn't think that a few extra dollars would make a difference, but it does! The price of gas has gone up along with food prices, medical prices, gas and electric prices. So yes, maybe for some of us, this little bite of money does make a huge difference. If you still don't think it does, then maybe you should pay for all us senior taxpayers that can't afford it, "Really"! We would be very happy for you to take that burden off us.
Anonymous

Hanover, PA

#29 Jun 7, 2011
Curious wrote:
Really & Teachers & Actually (I am assuming you are all the same person since the posts were 3-4 minutes from each other and all are from Burlington, NJ).
It is very telling that you find it necessary to comment and heckle a poster thanking the board for holding taxes the same as last year. Taxpayers are tired of getting nailed each and every year for tax increases with absolutely nothing to show for it. There haven't been any significant gains in any measurements at HPSD despite the yearly tax increases.
As for the teachers - once again - the 4 day furlough saved about $250,000. However, instead of voting to forgo their pay increases as several districts in the vicinity chose to do, teachers have made their statement loud and clear. In doing so they cost the district about $600,000 in wages and benefits. So keep on ridiculing those who are tired of supporting and paying these types of salaries and increases when many of those who pay their salaries have lost their jobs or are not receiving increases. The 3-pack a day people unite. On another blog one teacher actually had the temerity to claim were we suppose to vote not for our increase?
As for the bit of respect you want - lets look at the score: 1) yearly increases to support the 4-1/2 % increase each year for 4 years; 2)no significant progress made in helping the kids attain better scores on PSSA or SAT's; 3)the massive increases in taxes which are about to occur in the next year and lasting for at least 20 years due to the PSERS fiasco that the teachers union caused should be enough to make them ashamed.
Here is little known fact - who will have to pay up when the pension fund fails due to the incompetence of those running it? Teachers, administrators etc? No. It is the taxpayers burden. In what other job could your pension be safe despite serious incompetence and misuse and others have to pay for it.
This post is awesome. I didn't even notice the location and that is too much of a coincidence so it has to be the same person making it look like they're agreeing with themselves.

I love it how teachers kick and scream at these ideas that their fun time might be ending soon. I also love the teachers that say "PSERS has been going on for 80 years and hasn't failed and you're making this up". That's hilarious to me. If teachers can't grasp what it means when there's more money going out than there is going in, I don't believe they should be teaching.

Notice the comment about buying 3 packs of cigarettes? Well, those cigarettes would be a choice to buy. The taxes aren't. Cigarettes aren't held hostage for taxes like your home is, paying property taxes is reality although paying more and more for it is quite involuntary. I'm sure the 4-day furlough really affected salaries lol.
Curious

Hunt Valley, MD

#30 Jun 7, 2011
Hanover Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you are not on a fixed income where you haven't had an increase in living in several years! People wouldn't think that a few extra dollars would make a difference, but it does! The price of gas has gone up along with food prices, medical prices, gas and electric prices. So yes, maybe for some of us, this little bite of money does make a huge difference. If you still don't think it does, then maybe you should pay for all us senior taxpayers that can't afford it, "Really"! We would be very happy for you to take that burden off us.
Don't worry Hanover Taxpayer. Really is probably is teacher or admin person and hasn't been touched by that thing called the recession. Receiving a 4.5% raise every year really doesn't make it hurt to much.
Curious

Hunt Valley, MD

#31 Jun 7, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
This post is awesome. I didn't even notice the location and that is too much of a coincidence so it has to be the same person making it look like they're agreeing with themselves.
I love it how teachers kick and scream at these ideas that their fun time might be ending soon. I also love the teachers that say "PSERS has been going on for 80 years and hasn't failed and you're making this up". That's hilarious to me. If teachers can't grasp what it means when there's more money going out than there is going in, I don't believe they should be teaching.
Notice the comment about buying 3 packs of cigarettes? Well, those cigarettes would be a choice to buy. The taxes aren't. Cigarettes aren't held hostage for taxes like your home is, paying property taxes is reality although paying more and more for it is quite involuntary. I'm sure the 4-day furlough really affected salaries lol.
It is their elitism that really gets me fired up. They like to think of themselves as the educated elite and they know better. When they have to come face to face with reality and facts it seems to be a jolt to their system. I also agree with fact that cigarettes are a choice and they are not held hostage to paying property taxes. I never thought of it in that manner.
Sort of

Hanover, PA

#32 Jun 7, 2011
It is too bad but too many teachers believe what PSEA tells them. There in lies the problem. If PSEA tells them something then of course it is a fact. Call it drinking the kool aid, sheep following blindly, it is a problem. I found the worst the teacher, the bigger union supporter they are. I wonder why?
Sort of

Hanover, PA

#33 Jun 7, 2011
One question, are they actually working four days without pay OR taking four unpaid days off? I believe it is the four unpaid days off. Do they still get column movement?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) Jan 18 Tigersgo 7,202
News Woman accused of hitting man with belt at bar, ... Jan 15 Ed S 1
News Paradise School 'riot': Police arrest six students (Apr '08) Jan 7 Tommy 32
Ummmm......yeah Jan 3 Meep 2
News Babies shaken or not? (Mar '08) Jan 3 Meep 17
News Hanover man apologizes after fighting cop Dec 25 Fitus T Bluster 1
power outage littlestown pa (Nov '14) Dec '16 Javajunkie334 7

Hanover Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hanover Mortgages