Hanover schools plan no tax hike

Hanover schools plan no tax hike

There are 33 comments on the Evening Sun story from Jun 5, 2011, titled Hanover schools plan no tax hike. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

The Hanover school board has decided not to raise its district's school taxes in 2011-12. The board approved a preliminary budget for next year that does not include a tax increase and reflects a 1.3-percent decrease in expenses.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hawk Mom

Shippensburg, PA

#1 Jun 6, 2011
Thank you to the school board!
Yo Yo Yo

Mount Joy, PA

#2 Jun 6, 2011
A good decision, taxpayers need relief once in a while too. At least this board seems to think about the taxpayers even though they may have no choice in the future but to raise the taxes due to the PSERS issue. Kudos to Hanover school board for making the right choice. The school administration has a tougher job, but that is what they are paid to do. I think this is the third district in the state that went with a zero increase. Good job to those that can and did hold the line.
Kudos again..
snack attack

Hanover, PA

#3 Jun 6, 2011
All of a sudden they are heros? Give me a break! You act like they saved our life. Tell them to add transportation for students and address the bullies in the schools and not raise our taxes, then they will be doing us a favor. Right now were being set up for disaster for the following year.
Carlisle St Charlie

Hanover, PA

#4 Jun 6, 2011
snack attack wrote:
All of a sudden they are heros? Give me a break! You act like they saved our life. Tell them to add transportation for students and address the bullies in the schools and not raise our taxes, then they will be doing us a favor. Right now were being set up for disaster for the following year.
How do you add transportation and not raise taxes?
RepRules

Shippensburg, PA

#5 Jun 6, 2011
This is why local government is always better. It's efficient, low cost, and small.
Yo Yo Yo

Mount Joy, PA

#6 Jun 6, 2011
snack attack wrote:
Heroes? No, but they did the right thing with the right thoughts, thinking of the taxpayer and balancing the needs of the district. When someone does the right thing they have earned the applause, when they don't they deserve what they get. This was a good thing, not heroic by any standards, just the right thing.
Hanover Taxpayer

Hanover, PA

#7 Jun 6, 2011
Thank You so much Hanover School Board! We really need this tax relief right now! If taxes would have gone up then, I would had been forced to sale my house. Thanks again for making this decision on the best interest for the taxpayers!
Hanover Man

Hampstead, MD

#8 Jun 6, 2011
I doubt Southwestern School District will do the same. They are many times larger then the Hanover District (and have many more times the number of residents to tax), yet will probably still end up raising our taxes AGAIN this year!
5 year plan

Belleville, PA

#9 Jun 6, 2011
They need to do this 5 years in a row and THEN they will be doing something! Keep cutting costs, it's the only viable plan.
bottom line

Abbottstown, PA

#10 Jun 6, 2011
"Some cost saving measures -- like using a chunk of the fund balance -- cannot be repeated each year, so Smith said a year without a tax increase "may be temporary relief" to taxpayers. "

Translation - tax increase delayed this year but next year school taxes will increase just like Corpbutt's annual salary.

Corpbutt may symbolically delay taking his raise this year but he knows next year that it will already be part of his salary so he can once again make the symbolic gesture of refusing next year's raise - knowing he will just get it a year later.
Sort of

Hanover, PA

#11 Jun 6, 2011
It is a big mistake to use the fund balance for normal operating expenses. Hanover will pay the price next year. This is a very short sighted decision.
get ready

Abbottstown, PA

#12 Jun 6, 2011
Hanover Taxpayer wrote:
Thank You so much Hanover School Board! We really need this tax relief right now! If taxes would have gone up then, I would had been forced to sale my house. Thanks again for making this decision on the best interest for the taxpayers!
You will have to sell next year then. BTW, there is no tax relief. They didn't eliminate school taxes - they just delayed the increases for a year.
Sort of

Hanover, PA

#13 Jun 6, 2011
Hanover Taxpayer,

Really? sell your house for $19 a year?
Hey

Hanover, PA

#14 Jun 6, 2011
How much are the school taxes in Southwest Dist if you have a $100,000.00 home? Hanover is $1907.00. Trying to compare taxes here to transportation of students and no transportation. Do the people in Hanover get a break because of no busses or are they paying to high by not having busses? Whats the taxes in Southwest?
Thanks for nothing

Harrisburg, PA

#15 Jun 6, 2011
Educators unite and refuse to take a pay freeze. Greed prevails.
Steven M

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Jun 6, 2011
Gee, look at that, the school board gets the credit for things the teachers decided on (4-day furlough) and went to the board about in order to keep fellow teachers from being fired. Good job, Evening Sun, on not doing your research and realizing how bad the teachers got shafted here.
kilt

Hanover, PA

#17 Jun 6, 2011
Steven M wrote:
Gee, look at that, the school board gets the credit for things the teachers decided on (4-day furlough) and went to the board about in order to keep fellow teachers from being fired. Good job, Evening Sun, on not doing your research and realizing how bad the teachers got shafted here.
So that's the whole reason behind the tax break is the 4 day furlough? Impressive I might add
Anonymous

Hanover, PA

#18 Jun 6, 2011
Steven M wrote:
You're delusional if you think your 4 day furlough saved anything. It's ok to take from everyone else but union school staff, isn't it? With Pser's and your bennies on top of your wages, suck it up. Teachers don't get shafted, they give the general taxpayer the shaft with the unsustainable pensions and wages paid courtesy of Joe Everybody. Sorry your gravy train got derailed for a moment.

Kudos to the school board for making the budget.
Curious

Hunt Valley, MD

#19 Jun 6, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
You're delusional if you think your 4 day furlough saved anything. It's ok to take from everyone else but union school staff, isn't it? With Pser's and your bennies on top of your wages, suck it up. Teachers don't get shafted, they give the general taxpayer the shaft with the unsustainable pensions and wages paid courtesy of Joe Everybody. Sorry your gravy train got derailed for a moment.
Kudos to the school board for making the budget.
I've already corrected Steven M. once before about this issue of the school teachers and their furlough. The amount of money to be saved by those 4 furlough days was about $250,000. The teachers still kept their 4.5% yearly increase which amounts to almost $600,000 in wages and benefits to be spent.

Kudos once again to the school board for doing the right thing.
Money Hungry

Harrisburg, PA

#20 Jun 6, 2011
Give them what they want. Teachers just want a two hour delay written into their contract.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 8 hr Texan 7,080
Utz buys Golden Flake Jul '16 jim thompson 1
Lovely School Taxes (Jan '12) Jul '16 Jan 22
News Last chance to get free fresh produce from Agen... Jul '16 test 1
Kitchen Fitters Manchester Jul '16 ceagceog432 1
News Vigil in Gettysburg honors victims of violence Jun '16 Davenport 2
107178 PB Filled Pieces Jun '16 Mattiecakes918 1

Hanover Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance