Women's shelter goes 'public'

There are 20 comments on the Jan 22, 2011, Evening Sun story titled Women's shelter goes 'public'. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Often times, the location of a shelter that houses victims of domestic violence and sexual assault is kept secret to keep women safe from the abusers who might still be looking for them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
elizabeth

Hanover, PA

#1 Jan 23, 2011
how can i donate my cloths to the shelter? I know of friends that would like to do the same,
Common sense

Gettysburg, PA

#2 Jan 23, 2011
I too would like to donate some things.

Since: Feb 09

Hanover, PA

#5 Jan 23, 2011
Here's the website for Survivors. The phone number for the office is there too. http://www.adamscountysurvivors.com/
Hometown Girl

Chambersburg, PA

#7 Jan 23, 2011
I agree most people know where the shelters are located anyway. Also, an abuser will find you no matter where you are. In case of violence it only takes a split second for the damage to be done. The police will never get there in time. Hopefully, at least one of the employees/volunteers will pack heat so if an incident arises like in Arizona they can be dealt with appropriately.
Common sense

Gettysburg, PA

#8 Jan 23, 2011
In case anyone was wondering, I posted men's shelters for "DUH", who's post has since been removed.
Common sense

Gettysburg, PA

#9 Jan 23, 2011
looks like someone is actually working today, why would you remove my posts with a listing of mens shelters?? do you find this offensive?
flicka

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Jan 23, 2011
*snort* everyone knows where the WIN shelter is in Chambersburg... it's the biggest non-secret around.
emmitsburg road resident

Chambersburg, PA

#11 Jan 23, 2011
do they have a website?
Whatever

Carlisle, PA

#12 Jan 23, 2011
I hope this program has improved since 1989 when I was referred there. My counselor was a person living there who was only worried about her facial hair. I was and am still a middle class worker whose income was "too high" for help for me from any other agency. Thank God, I had the parents I have to help me spiritually and financially to get through my nightmare. My worst problem with this program is that you swore when you went there that you would never give up the address of the shelter. Seems this was bogus as I was shocked when discussions brought up the subject and the address was already spread. I am a survivor due to my own resources.
Janna

Chambersburg, PA

#13 Jan 23, 2011
They do not accept clothing, except baby clothes.
Their wish list is on the website:
http://www.adamscountysurvivors.com/donor-abo...
judy

Easton, MD

#14 Jan 23, 2011
is this shelter also for men who are being abused by there partners or just for women and children? Is there a place for men to go? Recent statistics show they are becoming victims of abuse by there partners at an alarming rate.
Jose Martinez

East Berlin, PA

#15 Jan 23, 2011
My ex wife was addicted to prescription meds. Two days prior to being placed in a private drug rehab she went to a woman's shelter for abused women in Hanover with the story she was abused. Immediately, I was denied any contact with her, a PFA was issued and divorce proceedings were begun with the assistance of the "trained professionals" and shelter volunteers. That was in 1994, and 16 years later my ex is still addicted, living in halfway houses and shelters for women, abused and imagined. Her two sons have not spoken to her since 1995. Professional medical help was available for her but through the actions of the shelter and the "she has rights" mentality and mindset, this door was slammed shut with the PFA. The positive side of this however was my attorney who said "You should thank them for removing this millstone from around your neck, with her track record of substance abuse you would be paying forever for her addiction". So .... Thanks Hanover Shelter .... where ever you are .... Life is good!
I know

Carlisle, PA

#16 Jan 23, 2011
judy wrote:
is this shelter also for men who are being abused by there partners or just for women and children? Is there a place for men to go? Recent statistics show they are becoming victims of abuse by there partners at an alarming rate.
Most men don't report abuse. The ones that do are also reported as being abused by the female. Who wins. I am a female, but seen cases where the mother is actually the abuser to the children. When will C&Y investigate. I know resources are low, but when it comes to children, sooner is better than later. Most male abuse includes children.
Common sense

Gettysburg, PA

#17 Jan 23, 2011
judy wrote:
YES THERE ARE! I listed some of them earlier today but some moderator from the Sun thought it was inappropriate and removed them.
Zeut

Chambersburg, PA

#18 Jan 24, 2011
I actually live near the WIN shelter in Chambersburg. really it's not hard to figure out, when you live near one and know the nieghbors who live next to it.

Since: Dec 07

Hanover, PA

#20 Jan 24, 2011
Anyone who wants to post a list of men's shelters, or discuss the issue of abused men, is free to do so. The previous post was taken down because it didn't provide such information, it only bashed Survivors and told lies about its clients.

Marc
Duh

Chambersburg, PA

#21 Jan 24, 2011
I know wrote:
<quoted text> Most men don't report abuse. The ones that do are also reported as being abused by the female. Who wins. I am a female, but seen cases where the mother is actually the abuser to the children. When will C&Y investigate. I know resources are low, but when it comes to children, sooner is better than later. Most male abuse includes children.
FACT: Local police simply laugh if a male reports being a victim. Several Pa. Judges have been disbarred and dethroned for the same ignorance. When was the last time anyone read a story in the paper of a male being admitted to an emergency room after having his head split open by his female partner, wife, or what-ever--as he slept? C&Y is a joke and in most cases ,ARE the cause of repeated violence towards men, not just male children. Who do you think puts these ideas in the heads of already deranged females ? I've seen it in person. Same for the Police. The first thing they ask the Female --you pressing charges ? As they stand there and see blood on HER hands. Females all cry when they must face a Female judge, who simply scolds them because of a lack of evidence .
Meaning: Taxpayers would have to pay to support several foster family type children already on Welfare. All of which were created by different sperm donors. Worse yet--they get a reprimand by a male judge and the next thing--a Law suit filed against that Judge for reversed discrimination and supported by some Activist group who is spearheaded by C&Y. You think I'm kidding ? Take a look at the Pa. Court Reporter or Register of the Pa. Superior Court. Worse yet , you get some mental case police officer who is now running for a Judgeship position. The one who was clinging to a van and then shooting the driver as the Children of the Gettysburg based shelter are outside playing on the lawn.
An Intern in support

Manchester, PA

#22 Jan 24, 2011
It sounds to me like a lot of hard work is going into paving a smooth road to assistance for a lot of women in need! And dollars are being prioritized and shifted into making more resources available for the agency where funding is becoming more and more limited!
I feel sorry for those that cannot see past the unfortunate events and choices that were personally made in their own lives far enough to recognize the good work being done here!
Congrats to those who overcame hardship on their own accord and best of luck to those who are in the midst of seeking assistance now!
Good work to the shelter and good luck to going public!
Mark

York, PA

#24 Jan 24, 2011
Could I find a wife there?
gardners pa

Shippensburg, PA

#25 Jan 24, 2011
Mark wrote:
Could I find a wife there?
are you serious? this is a serious matter not a laughing one!! grow up

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) Thu New guy 5,748
Snyder lance Apr 11 light0070702 2
News Half Pint Creamery plans second ice cream shop Apr 2 Davenport 5
Second eagle Mar '15 Vlossak 1
Rachel Caltrider????? Mar '15 Just looking 1
Bald Eagle Live Stream, Hanover Mar '15 Birder1810 1
News Carl's Creations: A once-blooming business says... Feb '15 Steve Gratman 2
More from around the web

Hanover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE