Hanover cracks down on parade chairs

Full story: Evening Sun

April Weese, Makayla Bucher, 2, and Dustin Weese from New Oxford save their spots on Baltimore Street on Wednesday night in preparation for tonight s 69th annual Hanover Halloween Parade.

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 80 of88
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Local Yokel

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Need a new mayor wrote:
oh brown's only doing this for publicity. hasn't done anything for years, but hmmm, decides to make some noise before the election...
This is one of the few smart posts in this whole blog.
Friend from the past

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Welllll......
BEST PARADE Hanover has had in MANY MANY YEARS!
Not many "gaps", great floats, bands, not over done with "walkers" or cars, nothing really distastefull.

CONGRATS JAYCEES!!! Tonight was like the parades I remember going to years ago - WELL DONE!(no - I am not a Jaycee, or do I know any)
moron patrol

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

really wrote:
Moron Patrol......how about keeping your negative energy within your own home and not bringing it around our streets? Truckers shouldn't be going through the square anyway, there are other ways through Hanover. This is a wonderful tradition, one of which should stay. Hanover is quickly becoming a place with no tradition thanks to complainers like you. It's just absurd to make a comment like that.
Where do you get off telling me about my home town, Hanover is my home town. The NJ address is where my internet supplier routes data...look at your address is says Baltimore, yes the Halloween parade is a tradition, a traditional pain in the rear. By the way the trucks have just as much right in center square than any other vehicle.
John

York Springs, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

its not terra cotta thats a type of pottery clay its terra firma dip$hit
WOW

Dallas, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

Yeah, Terra Cotta???? I believe what you mean is Terra firma, Latin for "Good Earth". But good try. Also, it's CHAOTIC, without a "K".
hanover mom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

First off, they didnt place our chairs against the buildings. They THREW them. I sat in my window and watched the whole thing happen. The reason I put my chairs out so early was because last year, I had to sit 3 blocks away from my apt so that my son could get candy that was being handed out (which if it weren't for the candy we woulda just sat at the window and watched). Plus I like having the choice to use my own bathroom. People were taking up all of the spots downtown in front of my apartment. Also, this was my second year of attending this parade and I had no idea there were time restrictions on the chairs. I don't watch the news, read the paper or read about all the town ordinances every day so I didn't know. We should have first choice to sit out front of our own homes but unfortunately we don't. And why are they so worried about the chairs anyways? They are placed along the curb, not in the middle of the sidewalk so if someone tripped on them, it's their own stupid fault for not watching where they walk. This block had 4 different apartments robbed or vandalized within the past 3 months yet they are way more worried about the chairs. This is exactly why my family is now looking for a new home.
GrammarNazi

Frederick, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

citizen kane wrote:
Whoever ever said it has it right. Try to stand in front of someone's house. Better learn the "law" its a public street and you have the right as everyone one else to stand there. However the locals feel its there piece of "terra cotta", or earth for the locals. And yes they get rather crappy. So when someone gets hurt because the local decides he or she (some of the shes really should be he's) whip someones butt, then what? I can say law suit. How would Hanover and Penn Township and the rest of the local idiots like that. Let it be first come first serve and bring your chairs when you get there. But hey its Hanover so just get your chew and brass knuckles and defend your "terra cotta"
Geez, "terra cotta" is an unglazed type of pottery. TERRA FIRMA is the earth.
Trying to use words you don't know in the attempt to appear intelligent is just dumb.
"Webster" is your friend, use it.
NewOxfordBabe

Frederick, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

hanover mom wrote:
First off, they didnt place our chairs against the buildings. They THREW them. I sat in my window and watched the whole thing happen. The reason I put my chairs out so early was because last year, I had to sit 3 blocks away from my apt so that my son could get candy that was being handed out (which if it weren't for the candy we woulda just sat at the window and watched). Plus I like having the choice to use my own bathroom. People were taking up all of the spots downtown in front of my apartment. Also, this was my second year of attending this parade and I had no idea there were time restrictions on the chairs. I don't watch the news, read the paper or read about all the town ordinances every day so I didn't know. We should have first choice to sit out front of our own homes but unfortunately we don't. And why are they so worried about the chairs anyways? They are placed along the curb, not in the middle of the sidewalk so if someone tripped on them, it's their own stupid fault for not watching where they walk. This block had 4 different apartments robbed or vandalized within the past 3 months yet they are way more worried about the chairs. This is exactly why my family is now looking for a new home.
You're looking to move because your kid needs MORE sugar and your chairs got moved? Good. Hanover doesn't NEED citizens like you. Especially citizens who don't read the paper, watch the news or know the laws and ordinances in their OWN town.

Geez, if you're an example of the kind of folk that live in your neighborhood, no wonder vandalization and robberies are occuring. Obvioulsy the baddies know you're too stupid to secure your own living area.

Bye...good riddance to un-informed dumb-bunnies.
Facts

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

hanover mom wrote:
I don't watch the news, read the paper or read about all the town ordinances every day so I didn't know. We should have first choice to sit out front of our own homes but unfortunately we don't. And why are they so worried about the chairs anyways? They are placed along the curb, not in the middle of the sidewalk so if someone tripped on them, it's their own stupid fault for not watching where they walk. This block had 4 different apartments robbed or vandalized within the past 3 months yet they are way more worried about the chairs. This is exactly why my family is now looking for a new home.
And you are blaming them? My goodness, grow up, accept responsibility and act like an adult. But if you don't read the news and live in your little bubble of ignorance, how did you manage to navigate to the newspaper web site, read this story and comment on it?

They are "so worried" about the chairs because years ago, people were reserving space a week before the parade. It really became a hazard. And if someone trips on a public sidewalk when something is blocking the pathway, it is not "their own stupid fault." There are liability laws.

The police weren't doing this so I don't know why you think it has any direct correlation to crime. It was Bruce and Mayor Brown. In the past, it has been public works guys. Maybe the problems you are having relate more to the people who live on the block than the Halloween parade.
dewsh

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

hanover mom wrote:
You live in an apartment....you don't have rights to the common walk area out front. It is a public space. I will bet donuts to dollars that your housing is subsidized, which means WE ALL are paying for you. Not to mention your ignorant comment regarding people who may trip. Guess what? we have many elderly here, and I know of least 2 recent veterans who are now handicapped who live in the area. Do you think it is okay for them to fall because your fat a** kid needs more candy and you drank so much beer you have to keep running to the bathroom.
cer

Ocean City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

I think the "early chair" rule should be eliminated. How about first come,first serve -- up to one hour before the parade? Then maybe more folks could have the opportunity to see the parade from the comfort of a chair. Those who don't work or have family or friends who live along thy parade route are at an advantage already. Give the rest of the population a chance. I agree, the population in the Hanover area has grown in recent years. This is not the "small town" that it used to be.
really

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

God forbid you have to walk 3 blocks. Get over it. I don't think anyone should be allowed to put their chairs out, then people could actually enjoy the parade!
Hey Idiot

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

really wrote:
Moron Patrol......how about keeping your negative energy within your own home and not bringing it around our streets? Truckers shouldn't be going through the square anyway, there are other ways through Hanover. This is a wonderful tradition, one of which should stay. Hanover is quickly becoming a place with no tradition thanks to complainers like you. It's just absurd to make a comment like that.
I will give you a free geography lesson.....In case you don't know, route 94 is a MAJOR north/south route! There is no other way to go from the north side of Hanover and going into northern Maryland heading south for a truck. So get your head out of your a$$ and wakeup!
Hey Idiot

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

20hanoverian wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called York Street!!
Duh! How can you get to York Street from the north side of Hanover without going through the square?
Maps R Us

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

Hey Idiot wrote:
<quoted text> I will give you a free geography lesson.....In case you don't know, route 94 is a MAJOR north/south route! There is no other way to go from the north side of Hanover and going into northern Maryland heading south for a truck. So get your head out of your a$$ and wakeup!
Eisenhower, Moulstown, Moul, Fame, Industrial, Wilson, Grandview gets you from the north end to the south end and you cross York St. It can be done without going through town, truck do it all the time.
Maps R Us

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

Hey Idiot wrote:
<quoted text>Duh! How can you get to York Street from the north side of Hanover without going through the square?
See previous post plus there are plenty of other streets you can take. Will the real idiot please stand up.
hanover mom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2009

Wow you people are making me laugh. I am not in subsidized housing. I pay $600 a month rent, so get over that. I do not drink, nor do I do drugs. I actually call the cops because of the crap I been seeing lately and if you do not believe that just look up the police log and you will see that the police have been called to this block numerous time in the pat several weeks. My kid is not fat and only eats candy at Halloween. This forum is about the chairs and what the local people did to get their point across. Not about my housing or how fat my kid is. And we are also moving because of ignorant people like those in this forum who can not have a honest and clean debate over something so simple. I do not read the paper very often because I am working all the time and going to college full time to support my son as a single mom. And I have only been here for 1.5 years. What do you want new citizens to do? Go and read the friggin book over the local laws before moving in?? Yea I'm glad to be saying goodbye to this town. You people are the ones who are making others feel unwelcomed which is probably why no one wants to move here. And the police are doing their jobs to stop the crime in the area but because the local officials are more worried about chairs, they are to busy to back up the officers to stop the crime in the first place. But thanks for the laugh this morning. I needed it before starting my day of work.
dewsh

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2009

hanover mom wrote:
Wow you people are making me laugh. I am not in subsidized housing. I pay $600 a month rent, so get over that. I do not drink, nor do I do drugs. I actually call the cops because of the crap I been seeing lately and if you do not believe that just look up the police log and you will see that the police have been called to this block numerous time in the pat several weeks. My kid is not fat and only eats candy at Halloween. This forum is about the chairs and what the local people did to get their point across. Not about my housing or how fat my kid is. And we are also moving because of ignorant people like those in this forum who can not have a honest and clean debate over something so simple. I do not read the paper very often because I am working all the time and going to college full time to support my son as a single mom. And I have only been here for 1.5 years. What do you want new citizens to do? Go and read the friggin book over the local laws before moving in?? Yea I'm glad to be saying goodbye to this town. You people are the ones who are making others feel unwelcomed which is probably why no one wants to move here. And the police are doing their jobs to stop the crime in the area but because the local officials are more worried about chairs, they are to busy to back up the officers to stop the crime in the first place. But thanks for the laugh this morning. I needed it before starting my day of work.
Byuh. Don't need folks here who could care less if people fall. Remember that statement?
Yeah

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2009

hanover mom wrote:
You should have expected backlash when you acted like the area in front of your apartment was your personal stake. You sound very young and uninformed. You have some growing up to do, and yes, you should learn some of the local laws in the area you live. It floors me that you respond to these forums, but you never read the article which clearly stated the chair ordinance with the times.

As far as the chair law, just get rid of it. Do not allow any unattended chairs and people claiming a whole block just for themselves. Everyone needs to have the same chance at finding a good spot to see the parade.
Sally Sue

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2009

Definition of a parade: Half of the town gets drunk and walks down the road while the other half of the town gets drunk and watches. Yeee-Ha!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of88
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hanover Discussions

Search the Hanover Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 1 hr Usedtowearblue 51,115
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 11 hr D Cheney 3,748
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 15 hr Pirates booty 5,357
Paradise School 'riot': Police arrest six students (Apr '08) Jul 10 alan decker 29
Free Fourth of July fireworks shows (Jun '09) Jul 4 need to know 23
Moul Field will host fireworks despite nearby h... (Jun '08) Jul 4 Local resident 54
Klan plans rallies in Pa. (Aug '06) Jul 1 straw grasping teabaggers 372
•••

Flash Flood Watch for York County was issued at July 14 at 3:42AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Hanover Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••