Hanover cracks down on parade chairs

Full story: Evening Sun 88
April Weese, Makayla Bucher, 2, and Dustin Weese from New Oxford save their spots on Baltimore Street on Wednesday night in preparation for tonight s 69th annual Hanover Halloween Parade. Full Story
JRab

Canada

#22 Oct 29, 2009
LOL...this article gave me a nice laugh today. There are so many Chair Nazi's in that town, it's hilarious.
JRab

Canada

#23 Oct 29, 2009
A Local is spot on. If you want to put your chairs out, you should have to stay with them. I attended that parade for the first 29 years of my life (moved away 3 years ago) and I stood or brought a chair with me THAT NIGHT.
Penny Miller

Chambersburg, PA

#24 Oct 29, 2009
I will never understand why chairs are permitted at all before the parade. One year I sat down in front of someone's home only to receive a verbal lashing from the owner of the home saying I would have to move because the spot in front of his home was reserved for his family and friends....WELCOME TO HANOVER....it is just a parade to be enjoyed by all....but, only if you get your chair there first or own a property on the parade route. Not all of us live on Baltimore or Carlisle Street. What happend to the days when you just walked up to the parade and found a spot to stand and have a fun time. Sometimes I think the parade route should go back to the old way it use to come in to town.....in town out Broadway or York Street...hit some other streets besides just the main drag....oh well, what do I know....The parade is lovely and a fun time to be enjoyed! A lot of folks put a lot of time and dedication into making it a special night....
tip

Mount Wolf, PA

#26 Oct 29, 2009
Yea the borough employees get paid way too much to go around and pick up some old ladies chair.. They had Baltimore St back up again this morning with a big grin on their face... Please
BMWRydr

Spring Grove, PA

#28 Oct 29, 2009
This crime bust is as great as the big drug bust we just had this past summer.

I personally can't wait to watch all the advertisement vechicle's go by this year.
All the tractor's from Finch's, cement truck's from Conewago Contractor's, all the dance groups from Hanover (minus the one with the newly found perp running), maybe even a school band or two.
I love Delone's 15 kid band !!!
The local roughyings riding their bikes/skateboards/roller blades and looking cool trying to do a crazy stunt and wrecking !!!
It's the best !!!!
TAMMY-HANOVER

Huntingdon Valley, PA

#29 Oct 29, 2009
Everybody just take a breath. There is more to worry about in this world than where and what time to put chairs out for a parade. Be thankful for everything you have. You may think they are simple things such as sight, hearing, walking, or just being healty. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Especially the comment by Wangtree.
dewsh

Harrisburg, PA

#30 Oct 29, 2009
Wangtree wrote:
If you are self-centered and selfish enough to need to place chairs you need to see a doctor. I have two small children that will want to see the parade. If a bunch of "40 Somethings" placed their chairs in front of all the children, they will move when we get there or the police may be picking more than chairs from the gutter.
I have seen people not let children sit out in front of their 300lb butts. Facts keeps stressing about not disappointing the children. What does "it" have to say about this situation. No one should be able to set down things and leave them (there has got to be an ordinance regarding this since there is one for everything else). You set it down, you stay with it. It makes me want to take bolt cutters and go out there and cut all the chains and ropes and move people's dang chairs around. We would really have something to watch then.
Hometown Girl

Newburg, PA

#31 Oct 29, 2009
I do agree with the rule. I use to work downtown for about 10 years and trying to climb over chairs that were everywhere including the crosswalks was very unsafe. I think that 5:00 PM the day before is a reasonable time. I have been attending the parade for 48 years.
Facts

Baltimore, MD

#32 Oct 29, 2009
Wangtree wrote:
If you are self-centered and selfish enough to need to place chairs you need to see a doctor. I have two small children that will want to see the parade. If a bunch of "40 Somethings" placed their chairs in front of all the children, they will move when we get there or the police may be picking more than chairs from the gutter.
Have you ever been to the parade? Kids sit on the curb. Adults sit in their chairs on the sidewalk. I have never had trouble getting my kids in a good spot.
Blah Blah Blah

Harrisburg, PA

#33 Oct 29, 2009
dewsh wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen people not let children sit out in front of their 300lb butts. Facts keeps stressing about not disappointing the children. What does "it" have to say about this situation. No one should be able to set down things and leave them (there has got to be an ordinance regarding this since there is one for everything else). You set it down, you stay with it. It makes me want to take bolt cutters and go out there and cut all the chains and ropes and move people's dang chairs around. We would really have something to watch then.
Hey Dewsh, you and wangtree sure must have been delt a bad hand in life, you chumps sure make having a good time suck. Why don't you move to another town that dosen't do anything for fun, maybe you'll be happy there?
truth

New Oxford, PA

#34 Oct 29, 2009
A Local wrote:
They should cancel the chair rule, and decree that if you want to place chairs, you must stay with them until the parade starts, and no earlier than noon the day of the parade. Boom, problem solved!
As for the truckers, cmon.....that's ridiculous. The leaves? Exactly, get a rake.
Some of you people are total idiots. Common sense, folks!
Fantastic idea. The whole concept of putting a chair out 24 hours before the parade is completely rediculous. For Pete sake. It is borderline insanity.
citizen kane

Columbia, MD

#35 Oct 29, 2009
Whoever ever said it has it right. Try to stand in front of someone's house. Better learn the "law" its a public street and you have the right as everyone one else to stand there. However the locals feel its there piece of "terra cotta", or earth for the locals. And yes they get rather crappy. So when someone gets hurt because the local decides he or she (some of the shes really should be he's) whip someones butt, then what? I can say law suit. How would Hanover and Penn Township and the rest of the local idiots like that. Let it be first come first serve and bring your chairs when you get there. But hey its Hanover so just get your chew and brass knuckles and defend your "terra cotta"
shim

Carlisle, PA

#36 Oct 29, 2009
I guees the drug problem is taken care of. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Kulasa

Philadelphia, PA

#37 Oct 29, 2009
The parade should be on a saturday, so that people will be bothered when they're about to go home rerouting. You guys should be considerate with this.
shim

Carlisle, PA

#38 Oct 29, 2009
Wangtree wrote:
wang chill out. just let me know what yur chairs look like so I know where to put mine. go wang
duh

Chambersburg, PA

#39 Oct 29, 2009
I thought there's a drug problem in Hanover. Why don't we focus on that instead of focusing on stupid chairs.
Blah Blah Blah

Harrisburg, PA

#40 Oct 29, 2009
First come first serve the night before or same night,
whats the difference? Except It would be more kaotic doing it the night of with everybody jockeying for
position. It,s been done this way for many years.
And I guess your not one of us local idiots, so stay
the he11 away.
Big Brother

New Oxford, PA

#41 Oct 29, 2009
Why don't they do like folks in Winchester, VA do for their Apple Blossom Parade? Non-profit agencies are allowed to set up blocked sections of folding chairs along the parade route. They then sell the seats--you can pick your favorite spot or favorite agency to support and pay for your seat. They put a piece of tape with your name on each of the seats. You can then walk around the main street and visit the shops and vendors, come back several hours later and settle into your seat. The agencies are not allowed to set up the chairs until the morning of the parade. I'm sure they pay for a block in which to set up their chairs, but hey--everybody wins. The city gets money for the blocked sections, the agencies get money for selling the seats, and we the people get a good seat for the show--and I don't mind paying if I know my money is helping a good cause.

How about it, Hanover?
Good job

United States

#42 Oct 29, 2009
citizen kane wrote:
Whoever ever said it has it right. Try to stand in front of someone's house. Better learn the "law" its a public street and you have the right as everyone one else to stand there. However the locals feel its there piece of "terra cotta", or earth for the locals. And yes they get rather crappy. So when someone gets hurt because the local decides he or she (some of the shes really should be he's) whip someones butt, then what? I can say law suit. How would Hanover and Penn Township and the rest of the local idiots like that. Let it be first come first serve and bring your chairs when you get there. But hey its Hanover so just get your chew and brass knuckles and defend your "terra cotta"
"Terra cotta"??? Are you sitting out flower pots??
dewsh

Harrisburg, PA

#43 Oct 29, 2009
Blah Blah Blah wrote:
First come first serve the night before or same night,
whats the difference? Except It would be more kaotic doing it the night of with everybody jockeying for
position. It,s been done this way for many years.
And I guess your not one of us local idiots, so stay
the he11 away.
What a mentality. It has been done this way for years so that must be the best way. Surprised you're not still using candles and using an outhouse outside.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 4 hr joesy411 5,533
power outage littlestown pa 12 hr Pink Eye 6
Man hits boy, 4, in head with beer bottle at Ad... Nov 12 Pink Eye 7
13 charged in Littlestown drug bust (Jun '09) Nov 3 Just a thought 222
Police seize more than $250,000 in methamphetam... Nov 3 Just a thought 11
Trick-or-treat nights set for York County areas (Oct '08) Nov 1 Batman 54
snyders/lance independent business owners news Oct 28 Krave MaMeat 1
Hanover Dating
Find my Match

Hanover People Search