Determining quality of health care from York-area hospitals' performance

Full story: York Dispatch
Be it clothing or cars, potential buyers usually have an idea of how good products are and how much they cost before they buy them. Full Story
Observer

AOL

#1 May 23, 2011
I was recently a patient at York Hospital. There was absolutly NOTHING to complain about. Everyone I encountered was courteous, polite and professional. If there was anything to improve upon I don't know what it could be. My heartfelt thanks to all concerned.
reader

York, PA

#2 Jun 8, 2011
I was just a patient at York Hospital and my stay was anything but good! I am talking about a serious illness and this is not the first time I have had problems there. Most of the nurse were doing their job to the best of their ability, which when working 12 hr. shifts is not easy.

I had to fight about most of my treatment because from the beginning they would not listen to me. I have very strange symtoms and reactions to meds and diseases. I got so tired of trying to get my point across I finally just left them think what ever they wanted too, but I made an appointment with my family Dr. for the day after I got out, you see they had the wrong hospitalists taking care of me , they were with a family Dr. I have not seen in 5 yrs.and that is who they made my appt. with for after I got out, until I changed it.
There is alot more but we just don,t have the room for everything that happened to me in those 4 days
Say no to baby Factories

York, PA

#3 Jun 8, 2011
reader wrote:
I was just a patient at York Hospital and my stay was anything but good! I am talking about a serious illness and this is not the first time I have had problems there. Most of the nurse were doing their job to the best of their ability, which when working 12 hr. shifts is not easy.
I had to fight about most of my treatment because from the beginning they would not listen to me. I have very strange symtoms and reactions to meds and diseases. I got so tired of trying to get my point across I finally just left them think what ever they wanted too, but I made an appointment with my family Dr. for the day after I got out, you see they had the wrong hospitalists taking care of me , they were with a family Dr. I have not seen in 5 yrs.and that is who they made my appt. with for after I got out, until I changed it.
There is alot more but we just don,t have the room for everything that happened to me in those 4 days
You have to realize that the nurses are not the ones that determine your treatment. They just carry out the orders of the physician that orders the treatment. From your post it sounds like you gave very little input other than whining about your care. If there is an issue, you can speak to the staff and present your issues without being a whiny little twerp. The staff can then contact the physician and get things striaght. You also have the power to call the physician. If you sit back and do nothing, that is exactly what you will get.

I have been an inpatient at both Memorial and York hospitals, I would crawl to York before I go back to Memorial.
Old Timer

Clarks Summit, PA

#4 Jun 8, 2011
reader wrote:
The best is yet to come. Just wait till Obombo care comes into play. The Medical staff is doing the best they can with the circumstances. They have to follow Drs. Orders, hospital administration orders and in particular insurance/Medicare orders. They have to be very dedicated to their jobs to put up with some of the “patients” they get. I was in a room with a lady who did nothing but complain. Including when a nurse came into her room at 2 in the morning to turn off her TV. She was asleep but still had it so loud it was disturbing every one in that wing.(I was able to ignore it). One of the nurses actually thanked me when I was discharged for being so understanding.

Thank you to all you unsung heroes that work in health care. There are some out here that really do appreciate all that you do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 3 hr Con artists 5,623
Hanover man not guilty of assault (Jul '08) Jan 24 Greenmachine24 26
Church to collect for McSherrystown fire victims (Apr '13) Jan 22 bob 2
Former car dealer charged with theft (Mar '09) Jan 14 Neil Hoffstot 83
Hanover should trash its recycling program (Mar '08) Dec '14 RetiredRN 16
pump it powder (Jan '12) Dec '14 askmetray28 39
Two charged in heroin arrest Dec '14 lady 1
Hanover Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web