Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 69,368
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story
Voluntarist

United States

#47127 Jan 16, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean for exercising his right to free speech?
Wow!
Wouldn't that be assault and battery on our British guest?
Fighting words are not protected, that is not the words themselves but in the context of the conversation or statement.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#47128 Jan 16, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of correct.
Geology and Earth Science and Paleoecology (and probably Genetics) have showed that the (details of) creation story is false.
Evolution doesnt really get directly into the details of the creation story, rather, it proposes another mechanism altogether, with evidence to support it.
Evolution is an example of a theory, not a scientific discipline. You are proposing a straw argument.
Only correct in that evolution doesn't touch on the topic of creation. Again, that is abiogenesis, a different branch of science.
Voluntarist

United States

#47129 Jan 16, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you care? You don't acknowledge the government, so what do the petty arguments in DC matter to you?
Because its always fun to show hypocrisy in government especially with the current liar in charge.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#47130 Jan 16, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Only correct in that evolution doesn't touch on the topic of creation. Again, that is abiogenesis, a different branch of science.
A theory is basicly the highest accolade in the field of science.
It does not get any higher.
Molecular evolution of f.i. the oldest common ancestor/concestor would touch upon abiogenesis. As well as life from rocks, as in google octalite.(How did cell walls develop.)
But the saillant characteristic of the scientific method, would be that a theory stands only untill someone can refute the findings.
Or proof them to be correct. e.g. Einsteins theory could only be proven when we had developed the capacity to bring atomic clocks in orbit. But it stays work in progress because someone might always come up with a different better fitting idea.

Same goes by the way mankind and it's god-idea. That changed so much that someone from the 4th century would not even recognize what f.i. modern christians are on about.

Location hidden

#47131 Jan 16, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Because its always fun to show hypocrisy in government especially with the current liar in charge.
Ah, so now we're getting somewhere. And all these crazy conspiracy theories you subscribe to? Also out of fun? Perhaps boredom?

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#47132 Jan 16, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
the kind of correct was that there are other disciplines that do, either directly or indirectly.

the point being, that evolution is not a scientific discipline

I know you know this. This is for the benefit for the slower evoliving individuals on this forum.

Location hidden

#47133 Jan 16, 2013
evolving - not evoliving

Location hidden

#47134 Jan 16, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I am starting to think there is a least one person on this forum (maybe more) who did evolve from rocks given their reasoning abilities.
it would explain a lot, wouldnt it?
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#47135 Jan 16, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: a false religion, disguising itself as if with science. as a method of religious idolators, as a means to control you all without G-D. for true men of G-D, cannot be untruly controled by the dark side. this was tried in egypt, a very long time ago. so it tis nothing new, under the son.

Location hidden

#47136 Jan 16, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
evolving - not evoliving
It turns out that someone has already coined this term

http://www.nuvali.ph/about-us/evoliving/

EVOLIVING [é-vo-li-ving] is the vision of sustainability, the key to an improved quality of life that is distinctly NUVALI. Beginning with a revolution in our way of thinking, this vision is not just for today but for the years to come—a forward-looking mindset that embraces sustainability towards shaping our future.

NUVALI Evoliving
It all begins with a revolution in our way of thinking, a vision not just for today but for the years to come. A forward-looking mindset that embraces sustainability as key towards shaping our future. Nurturing the welfare of our environment is steadfastly linked to assuring a solid future for generations to come. Ultimately, it’s about what really matters to us—clean, fresh air, abundant greenery, safety and security, education, a good job, sound health. NUVALI seamlessly integrates family, work, and leisure, generating a diversity of spaces, activities, and communities—allowing people the means to live their full potential. A vibrant landscape springs forth, freely shared by all.

Converging nature, people, and technology in NUVALI, sustainability cultivates the dynamic relationship among the ecological, social, and economic webs of life.

Evoliving is the seamless weaving of life, nature and technology to secure a vibrant future, an observance of responsibility, harmony and diversity, enabling people to live the way they choose.

Location hidden

#47137 Jan 16, 2013
Sounds like a plot to me

Location hidden

#47138 Jan 16, 2013
Religion may not survive the Internet
http://www.salon.com/2013/01/16/religion_may_...

....A traditional religion, one built on “right belief,” requires a closed information system. That is why the Catholic Church put an official seal of approval on some ancient texts and banned or burned others. It is why some Bible-believing Christians are forbidden to marry nonbelievers. It is why Quiverfull moms home school their kids from carefully screened text books. It is why, when you get sucked into conversations with your fundamentalist uncle George from Florida, you sometimes wonder if he has some superpower that allows him to magically close down all avenues into his mind.(He does!)

Religions have spent eons honing defenses that keep outside information away from insiders. The innermost ring wall is a set of certainties and associated emotions like anxiety and disgust and righteous indignation that block curiosity. The outer wall is a set of behaviors aimed at insulating believers from contradictory evidence and from heretics who are potential transmitters of dangerous ideas. These behaviors range from memorizing sacred texts to wearing distinctive undergarments to killing infidels. Such defenses worked beautifully during humanity’s infancy. But they weren’t really designed for the current information age.

Tech-savvy mega-churches may have twitter missionaries, and Calvinist cuties may make viral videos about how Jesus worship isn’t a religion, it’s a relationship, but that doesn’t change the facts: the free flow of information is really, really bad for the product they are selling.....

----------
I disagree - but the article is an interesting read, regardless.
Voluntarist

United States

#47140 Jan 16, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, so now we're getting somewhere. And all these crazy conspiracy theories you subscribe to? Also out of fun? Perhaps boredom?
Please be more precise, i dont know of any crazy theories that i talk about.

Location hidden

#47141 Jan 16, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
Religion may not survive the Internet
http://www.salon.com/2013/01/16/religion_may_...
....A traditional religion, one built on “right belief,” requires a closed information system. That is why the Catholic Church put an official seal of approval on some ancient texts and banned or burned others. It is why some Bible-believing Christians are forbidden to marry nonbelievers. It is why Quiverfull moms home school their kids from carefully screened text books. It is why, when you get sucked into conversations with your fundamentalist uncle George from Florida, you sometimes wonder if he has some superpower that allows him to magically close down all avenues into his mind.(He does!)
Religions have spent eons honing defenses that keep outside information away from insiders. The innermost ring wall is a set of certainties and associated emotions like anxiety and disgust and righteous indignation that block curiosity. The outer wall is a set of behaviors aimed at insulating believers from contradictory evidence and from heretics who are potential transmitters of dangerous ideas. These behaviors range from memorizing sacred texts to wearing distinctive undergarments to killing infidels. Such defenses worked beautifully during humanity’s infancy. But they weren’t really designed for the current information age.
Tech-savvy mega-churches may have twitter missionaries, and Calvinist cuties may make viral videos about how Jesus worship isn’t a religion, it’s a relationship, but that doesn’t change the facts: the free flow of information is really, really bad for the product they are selling.....
----------
I disagree - but the article is an interesting read, regardless.
Why do you disagree?

Location hidden

#47144 Jan 16, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Please be more precise, i dont know of any crazy theories that i talk about.
9/11
Oklahoma
Newtown and various other school shootings
New World Order
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conspira...

Take your pick. No shortage of crazy conspiracy theories.
Gtown71

United States

#47148 Jan 16, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Willful ignorance on your part. I can lead a horse to water, but...
I do love it when you and others use big 50 dollar words, and the story of creation is just too simple.
Do you believe there is /may be a God that created all things, either by evolution, or the bible story of creation, or another way?

If so, how smart do you think this God would be?

Do you think the smartest men on earth would impress Him?

I also love the "straw man" deal. That usually is thrown out when someone is saying "I don't want to speak plain with you -I want to bamfoozal you with my great knowledge, and words.

Why do so many feel the need to paint with such a complex brush, when they don't have to.

Evolution-was the greatest thing ever to me.
(MICRO EVOLUTION)-WHICH IS THE ONLY ONE TO EVER BE SEEN.

I was a sin sick person, and thought I was horrible. I was, but turns out I was normal. I had done some bad things, worse then some, not near as bad.as others. I was sick of who.I had become -God woke me up, and when I finaly yeilded I was set free. Ever belief I held and core value was changed. I + God in me = a new creation. As spoke of in the bible. So I geuss I should learn that evolution is not all bad. I didn't care anything about God, before that night, but I'm learning that some want so bad to discredit Him, that they go to great lengths.
Darwin was one of these men. He did like part or all of what the bible said, so he went looking at bugs, and noticed some looked alittle different then others (wow)-it amazes me -how simple things have such an impact, if it is going in the dirrection people want it to go, they take that ball and run with it.
They.may even may convience themselves, that there is no God, but I will go to my grave knowing that there is.
I'm not so sure He is hung up on the details either. He loves the simple man, just as much as the smart man. If a person has "reached the age of accountability " (plus, some never reach this), tben they will know they have stepped over Gods line. He just wants them back. He is God. He honors His ways, and don't over ride our free will.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#47151 Jan 16, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
you should know. you are probably the guy who picks the beans.
Yes this one guy picks all of the beans.

Let me ask you something, is there something degrading about picking beans?
Am I less of a person for doing so?

Do I deserve less respect because I pick beans?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#47153 Jan 16, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Not all of us are here because they are on a religious crusade. In fact, you can usually figure out quickly who isnt, we tend to be the rational ones.
Furthermore, the reason people keep coming back is more related to a desire to see themselves time and time again in print, than to care what the others really say, IMO
Can you focus on THAT message?
Frijoles---Furthermore, the reason people keep coming back is more related to a desire to see themselves time and time again in print, than to care what the others really say,

HughBe--- What PRINT are you talking about?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#47155 Jan 16, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Which are you?
Cultural or sub-cultural?
You are from a culture that does not say "mon"?
Though many of your fellow citizens do??
<quoted text>
I hope your coronay arteries are clean, clear and patent.
Free-flowing, that is.
BTW, what makes a Huggybear tick?
<quoted text>
You call yourself God?
Rule #1: Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Sit in the corner for 10 minutes please.
Former---Which are you?Cultural or sub-cultural?

HughBe--- Both

Former--You are from a culture that does not say "mon"?

HughBe--- YES.

Former--Though many of your fellow citizens do??

HughBe--- The circles that I move in don't speak like that and frankly I don't know of the many that you speak of.

Former--I hope your coronay arteries are clean, clear and patent.
Free-flowing, that is.

HughBe--- Your goodwill is appreciated

Former--BTW, what makes a Huggybear tick?

HughBE--- A female bear bending over. I am also excited about the scriptures.

Former--You call yourself God?

HughBe--- NEVER

Former--Rule #1: Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

HughBE-- Trust me before me there are no other gods.

Former--Sit in the corner for 10 minutes please.

HughBe-- I am actually in a corner right now and typing.

Location hidden

#47156 Jan 16, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
I do love it when you and others use big 50 dollar words, and the story of creation is just too simple.
Do you believe there is /may be a God that created all things, either by evolution, or the bible story of creation, or another way?
I have seen no credible, objective evidence for the existence of a god or sentient creator of the universe, but I remain open to the idea should anyone provide such evidence.
Gtown71 wrote:
If so, how smart do you think this God would be? Do you think the smartest men on earth would impress Him?
Since I see no credible evidence for the existence of a god, it would be foolish of me or you to speculate as to his attributes. However, seeing that a large portion of the universe is hostile to human life, and given all the human suffering that exists here on earth, I would have to say that if he did exist, he's probably either not too bright or is just an a$$hole.
Gtown71 wrote:
I also love the "straw man" deal. That usually is thrown out when someone is saying "I don't want to speak plain with you -I want to bamfoozal you with my great knowledge, and words.
Sorry, I assumed you knew what a strawman argument was. One would think with access to the internet, you could Google it. Let me help you out...

"A straw man or straw person, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally,[1][2] is a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position"

So, in other words, by claiming that someone is making an argument that life came from rocks, you are, in essence, misrepresenting what scientists really say about the origins of life as well as evolution.
Gtown71 wrote:
Why do so many feel the need to paint with such a complex brush, when they don't have to.
So in other words, complex answers hurt your brain, so you choose to go with the simpler explanations, even if they are incorrect? Whatever floats your boat, man. Like I said, I can lead a horse to water, but...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Sep 12 Insect Trust 28
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Sep 11 FEDUPw-dumb-mean-... 45
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Sep 7 Tony 608
To ban or not to ban - the future of plastic ba... Sep 5 Yes 11
Mimbres Valley woman still missing Sep 5 Raquel Placencio 7
NM Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) May '14 kyle richards 232
The secrets to success (Sep '13) Sep '13 Dorthea Lantagne 1
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Grant County was issued at September 16 at 3:31PM MDT

•••
•••
•••

Hanover Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••