Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 310174 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Gtown71

United States

#290183 Mar 23, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is truly horrific.
Yes it is!
I geuss, if someone rapes a lady I love, they don't have to call it self defense, they can call it surprise I just got blowed in half!

Yet it still amazes me, if she said it, how someone thinks.

The KKK held their rally in Iuka ms. Today, which is about 20 mins from me, so I'm still amazed at how some think.

As I realize some people are amazed at how I think.

Atleast Memphis TN., which is 1 1/2 hours from me, have passed a deal where, if the klan or anyone shows up to have a rally, they must pay for the extra security the city has to have, which is well over one million bucks :)
Gtown71

United States

#290185 Mar 24, 2013
To switch gears a bit - I've been on another topic far away discussing the draft,which could possibly be reinstated one day, so I'm curious to ask all who are in favor of women's rights and for them to be allowed to serve on front lines next to men. If a draft did occur, would you be ok, if this time women are made to sign up and drafted?
Ink

Philadelphia, PA

#290186 Mar 24, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
To switch gears a bit - I've been on another topic far away discussing the draft,which could possibly be reinstated one day, so I'm curious to ask all who are in favor of women's rights and for them to be allowed to serve on front lines next to men. If a draft did occur, would you be ok, if this time women are made to sign up and drafted?
Yes. That would be the consequence of women serving in combat. They should have the right to die for their country.
Ocean56

AOL

#290187 Mar 24, 2013
If girls and women think school or work is hard now, they should know that becoming a mother will be ten times harder. Many mothers and grandmothers donít tell young girls and women in their family exactly how hard motherhood truly is, for reasons known only to them.

I strongly disagree with the practice of keeping girls in ignorance of this. I believe they NEED to know what being a mother will require of them, so they can make an informed decision about being a mother, even if it means some girls will decide not to be mothers at any point in their lives. That is just fine if some don't want to be mothers. Not all girls or women are suited to be moms, and choosing NOT to be a mother is just as valid as the choice to be one.

Some of the hardships mothers of all ages will face once a baby arrives include -- but are not limited to -- the following:

1. Loss of freedom
2. Loss of sleep
3. Loss of money
4. Loss of education and job/career opportunities
5. Loss of mobility
6. Loss of private time
7. Dealing with colic

There is no escaping the fact that becoming a mother makes a girlís/woman's life much HARDER and she loses most, if not all, of the benefits and comforts she had before she got pregnant.

Too many girls/women are PRESSURED into having children by family members and/or religious community, and purposely aren't told just how very hard motherhood is until AFTER they have had a baby. I think it is high time that changed. If some girls/women decide they don't want the hardships of motherhood, that is fine. The choice for a woman to be childfree is just as valid and respectable as the choice to be a mother.
Gtown71

United States

#290188 Mar 24, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. That would be the consequence of women serving in combat. They should have the right to die for their country.
I just wonder what impact it would have on the current womens rights movement, if instead of just boys that turn 18 having to sign up with selective services, they started running commercials reminding all girls who turn 18 must sign up as well?

I wonder if instead of bra burnings screaming equal rights, they may be many who put their bras back on, and say enough is enough?

Ocean is big on equal rights for women, so curious about her thoughts on equal draft as well.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#290189 Mar 24, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
If girls and women think school or work is hard now, they should know that becoming a mother will be ten times harder. Many mothers and grandmothers donít tell young girls and women in their family exactly how hard motherhood truly is, for reasons known only to them.
I strongly disagree with the practice of keeping girls in ignorance of this. I believe they NEED to know what being a mother will require of them, so they can make an informed decision about being a mother, even if it means some girls will decide not to be mothers at any point in their lives. That is just fine if some don't want to be mothers. Not all girls or women are suited to be moms, and choosing NOT to be a mother is just as valid as the choice to be one.
Some of the hardships mothers of all ages will face once a baby arrives include -- but are not limited to -- the following:
1. Loss of freedom
2. Loss of sleep
3. Loss of money
5. Loss of mobility
6. Loss of private time
7. Dealing with colic
There is no escaping the fact that becoming a mother makes a girlís/woman's life much HARDER and she loses most, if not all, of the benefits and comforts she had before she got pregnant.
Too many girls/women are PRESSURED into having children by family members and/or religious community, and purposely aren't told just how very hard motherhood is until AFTER they have had a baby. I think it is high time that changed. If some girls/women decide they don't want the hardships of motherhood, that is fine. The choice for a woman to be childfree is just as valid and respectable as the choice to be a mother.
"The choice for a woman to be childfree is just as valid and respectable as the choice to be a mother."

I agree, as long as that decision is made before they become pregnant.
Gtown71

United States

#290190 Mar 24, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
1. Loss of freedom
2. Loss of sleep
3. Loss of money
5. Loss of mobility
6. Loss of private time
7. Dealing with colic
Hey hey ocean -will you answer my question regarding the draft?
Then perhaps come up with one of your list about the hardships of a draft?
I'll start it.
LOSS OF LIFE!
LOSS OF SLEEP!
LOSS OF FRIENDS!
LOSS OF BEING ABLE TO GO TO THE COFFEE SHOPS. LOL
Gtown71

United States

#290191 Mar 24, 2013
Susanm wrote:
<quoted text>
"The choice for a woman to be childfree is just as valid and respectable as the choice to be a mother."
I agree, as long as that decision is made before they become pregnant.
^^^^^^^^^^THIS IS WELL SAID ^^^^^^^^^^

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#290192 Mar 24, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just wonder what impact it would have on the current womens rights movement, if instead of just boys that turn 18 having to sign up with selective services, they started running commercials reminding all girls who turn 18 must sign up as well?
I wonder if instead of bra burnings screaming equal rights, they may be many who put their bras back on, and say enough is enough?
Ocean is big on equal rights for women, so curious about her thoughts on equal draft as well.
Equal means equal. Women already serve in the military, and have died for their country. This is nothing new.
Ink

Philadelphia, PA

#290193 Mar 24, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Be careful what you wish for. They already have given themselves headaches trying to do it all. The stress level is through the roof for women. You can't do it all well at the same time. Something has to suffer.
Ink

Philadelphia, PA

#290194 Mar 24, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Equal means equal. Women already serve in the military, and have died for their country. This is nothing new.
Women being drafted isn't new?
Gtown71

United States

#290195 Mar 24, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
True, so you're ok with having all girls who turn 18 sign up with selective services, and then be drafted if needed? All girls, not some. Not those who wish, but just like the boys -ALL girls must sign and go if drafted?
Thank you for your answer, and have a great Sunday.

Location hidden

#290196 Mar 24, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
True, so you're ok with having all girls who turn 18 sign up with selective services, and then be drafted if needed? All girls, not some. Not those who wish, but just like the boys -ALL girls must sign and go if drafted?
Women should be required to sign up for the draft.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#290197 Mar 24, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Women being drafted isn't new?
Learn to read, Witless. Gtown understood what I meant.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#290198 Mar 24, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm fine with that. And I say this as the mother of a 19 year old daughter, as well as a 23 year old son already signed up with Selective Service.
Gtown71

United States

#290199 Mar 24, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Be careful what you wish for. They already have given themselves headaches trying to do it all. The stress level is through the roof for women. You can't do it all well at the same time. Something has to suffer.
You're correct. Things must and do suffer. I know many do not share my view, but I believe God intended some jobs for men only. Can women do those jobs? Yes, many can, but why??? Like you said women in america are stressed out now.
Gtown71

United States

#290200 Mar 24, 2013
Susanm wrote:
<quoted text>
Women should be required to sign up for the draft.
Ok -thanks for your answer.
Gtown71

United States

#290201 Mar 24, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm fine with that. And I say this as the mother of a 19 year old daughter, as well as a 23 year old son already signed up with Selective Service.
Ok -good deal, thanks for your answer.

Location hidden

#290202 Mar 24, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
I think tht there should be a stipulation that if a draft does occur that only one parent is drafted.

Location hidden

#290203 Mar 24, 2013
OK, worked last night and work tonight, gotta get some sleep. Have a great day all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Yeah 1,252,485
News 7 great reasons to visit Baltimore this summer 1 hr reality is a crutch 5
News Murder charges expected (May '06) 2 hr reality is a crutch 8
News Give Baltimoreans a voice in fixing police-comm... 2 hr reality is a crutch 3
News Man dies after being shot in the head in W. Bal... 2 hr reality is a crutch 1
News Mayor says she won't drastically cut Charm City... 2 hr reality is a crutch 1
News Sister memorializes brother by using his art 2 hr reality is a crutch 1
More from around the web

Hanover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Hanover Mortgages