Proposal: Bring condos to Carter - Se...

Proposal: Bring condos to Carter - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 7 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Nov 16, 2008, titled Proposal: Bring condos to Carter - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Gloria Gerry used to imagine moving into a senior-citizen's apartment at the former Carter Junior High School on West Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

Friend of Dino

Lowell, MA

#1 Nov 16, 2008
Great idea, we need more AFFORDABLE housing in Leominster. Once again, the Mayor proves he is #1 to run Leominster!
Someone Paying Attention

Gardner, MA

#2 Nov 16, 2008
Awesome leadership in Leominster ...

Too bad they didn't think of this before ... Oh yeah?!?!? A bunch of people did over the years, but knuckleheads like Dean wouldn't let them do it.

Wonder what Gumba buddy is getting this sweet deal from the Gumba crowd in city hall?
Jenn from Leominster

United States

#3 Nov 17, 2008
Patty Harris, who lives across the street from the school on Grandview Avenue, said she would have liked to see the school used for senior-citizen housing rather than condos.

"I would much rather have seniors live there than a bunch of kids or families," she said Wednesday.

Amen~~!!! I mean who wants KIDS and FAMALIES living in a neighborhood, keep them on the highway where they belong!
What is this woman a stinkin moron?

Since: Mar 08

Lowell, MA

#4 Nov 17, 2008
I see the statement about taxpayers money to help pay for this, great...NOT
Just me

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#5 Nov 17, 2008
Jenn from Leominster wrote:
Patty Harris, who lives across the street from the school on Grandview Avenue, said she would have liked to see the school used for senior-citizen housing rather than condos.
"I would much rather have seniors live there than a bunch of kids or families," she said Wednesday.
Amen~~!!! I mean who wants KIDS and FAMALIES living in a neighborhood, keep them on the highway where they belong!
What is this woman a stinkin moron?
In my opinion, what she probably meant to say was she didn't want it to turn out like the projects, only she was "watching her words" because it was going to be in the paper.
Rob C

Chestnut Hill, MA

#6 Nov 17, 2008
C'mon Leominster! Figure it out. My hometown is making me sick with this issue. This should be a good example of the community figuring out what's in its best interest.

This building has been a blight to the neighborhood for too long. Kids and Families? Nothing wrong with that, except they usually live in housing with 3 or more bedrooms and a housing use here will not generate that many kids. Traffic? Just an excuse for the naysayers, and the impact of this project will be minimal. Not everyone leaves or arrives at the same time.

Opponenets have found reasons to say no to reusing this building for too long. Get rid of the building while it's still an asset!!! The City should put it out for bid and let the market tell them what kind of use will work there -- housing or otherwise. For all the naysayers, what kind of ideas do you have except to let the building crumble?

If you want this to work, the neighborhood and the city should sit around a table and compromise. Both sides may get half of what they want, but it's better than letting a city asset deteriorate any more.
Gina

Braintree, MA

#7 Nov 17, 2008
Rob C wrote:
C'mon Leominster! Figure it out. My hometown is making me sick with this issue. This should be a good example of the community figuring out what's in its best interest.
This building has been a blight to the neighborhood for too long. Kids and Families? Nothing wrong with that, except they usually live in housing with 3 or more bedrooms and a housing use here will not generate that many kids. Traffic? Just an excuse for the naysayers, and the impact of this project will be minimal. Not everyone leaves or arrives at the same time.
Opponenets have found reasons to say no to reusing this building for too long. Get rid of the building while it's still an asset!!! The City should put it out for bid and let the market tell them what kind of use will work there -- housing or otherwise. For all the naysayers, what kind of ideas do you have except to let the building crumble?
If you want this to work, the neighborhood and the city should sit around a table and compromise. Both sides may get half of what they want, but it's better than letting a city asset deteriorate any more.
Well said

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Apologies and anger at Abington school board me... Thu Brenda 1
News Illegal immigrant Uber driver raped passenger t... Thu ONLYONETERM 3
News Maura has been is missing since Feb. 9, 2004 (Jan '08) Apr 7 DownEastDetective 168
Seeking Owner of Lost Class Ring (Jan '06) Apr 6 daisymay32738 581
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Massachuse... (Oct '10) Mar '18 earl 16
News Mountain lion in Petersham? Owner of injured ho... (Nov '16) Nov '16 big Cats where it... 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Hanover, MA (Jan '12) Jan '14 jacj 7

Hanover Jobs

Personal Finance

Hanover Mortgages