Madison violated Open Door law

Madison violated Open Door law

There are 8 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 15, 2007, titled Madison violated Open Door law. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The state public access counselor says the city violated the Open Door Law when it held an emergency meeting to buy land for an industrial park, a decision the mayor says was prompted by the need to move fast ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Charles Eaton

United States

#1 Feb 15, 2007
What happened to the links to the comics and crossword ???Thr link just brings up a pop up ad for Healthology.
Learn the Facts

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Feb 15, 2007
This sort of thing happens in Bargersville and Whiteland, IN all the time. I thought it was normal procedure.
ntq

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Feb 15, 2007
If they did save money for the city by moving quickly it sounds like it will now be lost in legal fees...well done
Jim

AOL

#5 Feb 15, 2007
It is time for the legislature to put some teeth into the open door law. I am sick and tired of reading about this but the only penalty seems to be whatever "embarrassment" they perceive from it coming out in the press. Otherwise, business as usual.
LKH

United States

#6 Feb 15, 2007
Maybe the law was vioalted; maybe it wasn't. Did anyone notice that no Madison residents complained about their own City Council's action. The complaint was filed by someone from Hanover. Should that make a difference? I don't know.
Question

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Feb 15, 2007
If someone would tell me why discussion of property purchase would fall under open door law? I don't think it does. Now the vote to submit a bid to purchase the property does need to take place in a public session. But discussion of purchasing the property I do not believe has to take place in a public setting. If it did private individuals could get rich off buying property that is being looked at by public groups like cities or school corporations by buying it from underneath them. Bottomline if the talk was private and the vote public, it's all good...
Roy

West Jordan, UT

#8 Feb 15, 2007
Another example of why we can not trust the government. The people involved hide behind SPIN and operate outside the law. No shame. No honor.

“Hardcore Libertarian”

Since: Dec 06

Madison, IN

#9 Feb 15, 2007
If it was open door it wouldn't matter those in charge in Madison are not swayed by public opinion. They just give you a dead eyed look and respectfully ignore you. Take the smoking ordinance for instance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kenny Stanley vs Andy Cope 2 hr bro4ho 107
Natasha Hart. 3 hr User1 1
corruption at 2324? 5 hr babyblues 5
Vote For Donald Trump 8 hr Vote for tampons 21
Who are the druggies in Blocher and Lexington? (Nov '10) 9 hr Yomomma69 5
sixty days in? 9 hr okay 16
News Jennings deputy, 2 others, jailed 16 hr Geez 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hanover Mortgages