John Dillinger
Randy Janes

Decatur, IL

#1 Jan 20, 2009
My grandfather, Verl Darnell was a Marion County deputy, among other things..and had an encounter with the Dillinger gang just prior to a shootout with Hannibal Police. I am looking for anyone with more details.
WalkrTxRanger

United States

#2 Apr 15, 2009
Randy, I just a program on John Dillinger, and am from the area he used to roam in some in IN, the FBI web site, has info, it has been 75 yrs since his fatal death. Interesting character.
Gage Martin

United States

#3 Mar 25, 2012
Randy Janes wrote:
My grandfather, Verl Darnell was a Marion County deputy, among other things..and had an encounter with the Dillinger gang just prior to a shootout with Hannibal Police. I am looking for anyone with more details.
Hello, my name is Gage Martin. I am a huge history buff and me and my granpa have been tracking down John Dillingers trail. I am from Pike County, and in the Pike County History book it shows a picture of what they believe to be The Dillinger Gang. Supposively they stopped for hamburgers where the pawn shop in bowling green is. There used to be a old gas station there. Me and my granpa believe he busted out star route 9 to hannibal. There he went to Murphy motor company where he stole an oldsmobile. Now you may know where that building is over by the Tom and Huck statue but that is not the builing. There is one not far from the Mark Twain Dinnete. that is the original building. After stealing the oldsmobile he took off to a wilard cruser or keller farm. Me and my grandpa tried to find out the name of the farm but could not find any data. Two cops took off for the farm and arrived just in time for the gangs departure from the farm. Won of the gang members got out of the car to shoot the top half of the police car winshield as a sign to hed back to town. Thats all I know but would love for you to comment back because me and my granpa have been going back and forth from Bowling Green to Hannibal.
Gage Martin

United States

#4 Mar 25, 2012
Hello, my name is Gage Martin. I am a huge history buff and me and my granpa have been tracking down John Dillingers trail. I am from Pike County, and in the Pike County History book it shows a picture of what they believe to be The Dillinger Gang. Supposively they stopped for hamburgers where the pawn shop in bowling green is. There used to be a old gas station there. Me and my granpa believe he busted out star route 9 to hannibal. There he went to Murphy motor company where he stole an oldsmobile. Now you may know where that building is over by the Tom and Huck statue but that is not the builing. There is one not far from the Mark Twain Dinnete. that is the original building. After stealing the oldsmobile he took off to a wilard cruser or keller farm. Me and my grandpa tried to find out the name of the farm but could not find any data. Two cops took off for the farm and arrived just in time for the gangs departure from the farm. Won of the gang members got out of the car to shoot the top half of the police car winshield as a sign to hed back to town. Thats all I know but would love for you to comment back because me and my granpa have been going back and forth from Bowling Green to Hannibal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hannibal Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gabriellas Restaurant (Sep '13) 20 hr ButtFart McAssWipe 9
Hannibal mo mark twain 20 hr Boo Hooey 2
Gays Across the River (May '10) Aug 13 Bi visitor 8
News Men nabbed in asphalt scam to appear in court M... (Aug '08) Aug 3 Ricardo montobomb 26
Charles Arlin Henderson Jul 28 Looking 1
hannibal (Jan '07) Jul 26 Ricardo montobomb 11
Anyone know Richard Winebarger??? (Feb '12) Jul 23 Ricardo montobomb 5

Hannibal Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hannibal Mortgages