Two truck drivers killed when storm w...

Two truck drivers killed when storm washes out I-88

There are 11 comments on the WRGB story from Jun 28, 2006, titled Two truck drivers killed when storm washes out I-88. In it, WRGB reports that:

State police say two truck drivers were killed this morning when heavy rains carved a 25-foot-deep chasm across all four lanes of an upstate highway.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WRGB.

LORI BUFFONE

Elmira, NY

#1 Jul 1, 2006
MY BROTHER DAVE WAS ONE OF THE DRIVERS WHO LOST HIS LIFE. DAVE WAS THE GREATEST BROTHER AND FRIEND. ANYONE THAT HAD CONTACT WITH DAVE WILL HAVE REMEMBERED HIM, THAT WAS THE WAY HE WAS. HE WAS A BIG LOVEABLE BEAR THAT HAD A HEART THAT HE GAVE OF FREELY. WHAT A LOSS TO THE WORLD. MY LIFE WILL NEVER BE AS BRIGHT.
mike

United States

#2 Jul 1, 2006
we are deeply sorry about your loss,look up hes watching you
Greg

United States

#3 Jul 3, 2006
My Uncle Pat was the other truck driver who lost his life in that terrible crash. His greatest love was being out on the ocean in his boat. It's kind of ironic that his greatest love of being on the water was responsible for taking him away. He will be missed by all of us. His distinctive laughter is still heard in my memories of him.
Bug

Owego, NY

#4 Jul 5, 2006
I am really sorry to hear of your loses, and it really sad to hear that it possibly could have been prevented. I am not one to start trouble but when I came across an article it really upset me!!

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...

"ALBANY -- Inspectors who examined a culvert on a section of interstate highway that gave way in flooding Wednesday, causing the deaths of two truckers, found "severe erosion" and cracking of concrete pavement slabs two years ago.

But the inspectors also gave the 33-year-old culvert structure on I-88 in Delaware County an overall rating of "5," indicating they considered it to be in good condition. They even gave the portion of the examination that noted the erosion a rating of "5," according to a state Department of Transportation inspection report provided to the Times Union.

The DOT uses a 7-point scale for rating bridges, with "1" defined as totally deteriorated or in failed condition and "7" used to describe a new bridge in excellent condition.

Inspectors who looked at the culvert, which was 30 feet in diameter and located between exits 10 and 11 for Unadilla, cited "severe erosion beneath the end left concrete slope paving, exposing the outside of the pipe from below the concrete for the full slope length" in their 2004 report.

They also noted settling, indicated by "a noticeable dip in the driving lanes over the culvert," and "full width transverse cracking" in the concrete pavement slabs approaching and over the culvert.

But DOT spokeswoman Jennifer K. Post did not draw a connection between those written comments and Wednesday's road failure when asked about the inspection report on Thursday. And some experts told the Associated Press it is unclear whether any structure could have been reasonably expected to withstand Wednesday's flooding.

"We're still looking into the cause, although the significant volume of water that flowed through there obviously was a significant contributor," Post told the Times Union.

"The ratings show that the condition of the culvert was considered good, and the items noted here appear to have been considered relatively insignificant from a structural standpoint," Post said. "There was a tremendous volume of water that went through here. It was a serious flood. It was an act of God, and we're continuing to evaluate that location."

DOT investigators went to the scene of the broken highway in Sidney on Thursday to begin determining the cause of the washout and making plans for repairs.

Engineers are looking at using a temporary structure that would enable reopening of the interstate while working on a permanent replacement"
Chrys

New Berlin, NY

#5 Jul 5, 2006
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Elaine

Virginia Beach, VA

#6 Jul 5, 2006
Everyone in this Upstate Area was saddened by the loss of these two men. It was such a tragedy. We pray for your families.
Greg

United States

#7 Jul 6, 2006
Thank you all for your condolences. We still have yet to hear some positive news about finding my still missing uncle. I'm hoping that we can put closure to this tragic incident soon.
Annie

Gadsden, AL

#8 Jul 10, 2006
I'm sorry. I don't mean to down play the death of two wonderful people. But I came back to upstate New York for a visit after living away from there for many many years, and I was shocked at how deterioated the roads were. When I asked around, I was told that most of your tax dollars are being diverted to New York City, to keep Hillory's political cronies pocketbooks happy. Maybe it's time to speak up, and stop laying down and taking everything the democrats dish out. FIND YOUR VOICE AND YOUR BACKBONE
Michael

Binghamton, NY

#9 Aug 13, 2006
Is this blog still active? I'm interested in giving my condolences to the family.
Rennie

Dundee, NY

#10 Mar 3, 2007
The whole flood issue is the result of state highways built across waterways with "discharge capacity" too small, further, they artificially watershed divert run off with the creation of the roadways and failure (to save money I expect) to place enough culverts to handle that, another thing they fail to calculate or admit is the loss of "bankfull capacity" when buiulding elevated roadberms parrallel with waterways, which is why teh flooding was worse in all areas where I-88 takes up a good part of teh floodplain and centralizes the discharge into said flood plains. Also, years ago tehy built the bridge high and road low, so that in event (figure every 10-14 years, not "100" or "500" if the bridge proved too restrictive the water simply flowed over or washed out the roadway, instead of a far more expensive bridge, so repairs were effected simply by hauling a few wagon loads of gravel, not replacing a bridge. This also allowed water to disperse over teh floodplain, slow down, and drop things like trees and lumber which clog bridges and culverts, and preventing heavy siltration in Chesapeake Bay, which is what the Susquehanna Riverbasin Commision located in Harrisburg, that was granted authority over all the land and watewrways in the region by Congress to prevent, to preseve fishing on their weekend excursions into the bay, at upstater's expense. Big surprise. Rather than make long narrow channels with the loose fill removed from creeks pushed up along the banks to "confine" floodwaters, said material needs to be removed from the floodplain entirely, creeks that are straight and narrow run faster, creating worse erosion, and are no good for wildlife. Placing the fill into old creekbeds and floodplains, as the town did for a cemtery the opposite side of the creek from us, on a bend, just encouraged floodwaters to go straight up over the bank through yards and into th street where it never went before in recorded history. A new state bridge, technically wider in span but with abutments faced with a 45 degree angle of rip rap and concrete, nearly reached the ceiling. The roadway, elevated greatly since 1935, created a large pond. the answer is to say an area inhabited for over two centuries is a "flood plain" rather than admit for the sake of roadways and cheaper bridges they flood communities, the damage was worse everyplace the bridge and road approaches created giant earthfilled dams. If you try building a pond with earthfilled dam, you will know the requirements are far different than how they built up these roadbeds. And that is why that culvert washed out near Sidney, they dropped a big culvert in a streambed and buried it with loose fill, no "core", no pilings, no flange to impede scouring outside the tube structure. Faulty construction. Same as when the Northway washed out up by Bolton Landing a few years ago, there the road was poured on top of sand, which makes a poor foundation. How many towns repsonded to the flood by pushing the loose gravel piles back up either side of streams and replacing culverts with new ones the same size? Repeated flooding last year proved the point.
Ana Rosales

Venezuela

#11 Mar 9, 2008
Lori, i ask you if you before live in pensylvania, I'm looking for my friend lori buffone, go came to venezuela in my bride.
[email protected]
this is my mail

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hancock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is racist Vincent Cutler owner Cutler Excav... Jun '17 Sick of scum 1
Mountain Laurel Farm (Aug '06) Apr '17 Bee 20
Buffalo Zachs (Feb '14) Mar '17 Orphan 5
News Delaware Inn destroyed by blaze (Feb '08) Feb '17 Elle 24
Fire at rest stop on 17W (Sep '16) Sep '16 Xon Li 1
Craig shermans wife (Aug '16) Aug '16 Erleine 1
News Know how to determine if your bank is in trouble (Oct '08) Apr '16 Lori 2

Hancock Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance