Cemetery revivifies old Kauai village

Cemetery revivifies old Kauai village

There are 5 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Mar 3, 2008, titled Cemetery revivifies old Kauai village. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Graves at missile range get Kauai talking story STORY SUMMARY MANA, Kauai Some of the spooky tales involve children giggling and mischievously turning electrical equipment on and off.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Nancy Seattle

Portland, OR

#2 Mar 3, 2008
What a heart warming idea. This is the most positive action that I have ever heard come out of the Barking Sands area. Bravo!
Keep up the good work and hopefully we will all have access to the information that you gain about these souls.
Stu Hada

Mount Holly, NJ

#3 Mar 3, 2008
I believe there's a typo on Isohachi Shintani Date of Death as 1859. Its probably his date of birth.

More than likely, the earliest grave is of a later date.

A translation of dates would be based on the following:

1867 = Meiji 1
1912 = Taisho 1
1926 = Showa 1

1 year = 1 Japanese year. i.e. Showa 2 = 1927.

According to Wikipedia, the first 153 Japanese immigrants arrived in Hawaii on June 19, 1868.

A Mr. Tsuchiya was the principal at Mana School. His descendants include many of the prominent Tsuchiyas on Kauai including Val Tsuchiya. And Dr. Jeffrey Okamitsu, Ph.D. of Maryland (via Kam School). Tsuchiya Road abutting Waimea High School was named after him.
kalapaki kid

Honolulu, HI

#5 Mar 3, 2008
prolly not, dem kanaka's is radicals; dem japanee not!
RODNEY

Pico Rivera, CA

#6 Mar 4, 2008
VERY INTERESTING
Hector Tapia Perez

Honolulu, HI

#7 Apr 30, 2008
I just came down from the old Japanese Cemetary across the street from me. I go clean up the broken bottles and rubbish that some people leave. It appears that tree roots are being removed. I don't know the history of the cemetary because we just moved here from Detroit. It is so serene there. Some of the beautiful tombstones are being knocked around in the process. I enjoyed your article. I live at 3280 Hailima. I am an artist and I sculpt. This is why I love to clean and view the writing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanapepe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eleele Music Thread Feb '16 Musikologist 1
News Top 10 activities on Kauai, Hawaii Jan '16 Josh 1
News Former church secretary jailed for theft - Hawa... (Dec '08) Jan '16 Victim 12
scott owner of steamvent inn move back to hamuk... Dec '15 michael steamvent... 1
Omao Music Thread (Sep '15) Nov '15 Musikologist 2
World Series World Series 2011 - Hanapepe, HI (Oct '11) Jan '12 swet 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Hawaii (Di... (Oct '10) Oct '10 les faceit 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hanapepe Mortgages