Increase in food demand overwhelms soup kitchens - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

With unemployment growing, soup kitchens statewide are overflowing with hungry residents.
Comments
41 - 55 of 55 Comments Last updated Sep 16, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Gustavo

Maunaloa, HI

#43 Sep 14, 2009
If as all the economists are tell us that there will be mass unemployment/layoffs for the next several years...is Hawai'i
preparing for this, i.e. during a recession/depression the first
thing that people DO NOT do is take a vacation to Hawai'i.
We're at 69% hotel occupancy last summer...just wait a few months and
see what it is. We're all gonna be eating at a soup kitchen and living at
the Poor Farm. And I'm not making this stuff up.
Gustavo

Maunaloa, HI

#44 Sep 14, 2009
The people who lived through the 1929 Great Depression are almost all dead.
People today have no freaking idea how bad their lives are gonna get in the
next few years and beyond. No jobs, no money, no food, no place to live.
You could be working at Boeing but if no countries have money to buy airplanes you're screwed...same if you work in Erie, PA and build big ol
locomotives...if nobody is buying then you aren't working. Even if you
work in the film industry...if people aren't going to movies...you ain't workin.
Work at a mortuary or a grocery store if you can...they're recession proof kind of.
oldtimer

Pearl City, HI

#45 Sep 14, 2009
Gustavo wrote:
The people who lived through the 1929 Great Depression are almost all dead.
People today have no freaking idea how bad their lives are gonna get in the
next few years and beyond. No jobs, no money, no food, no place to live.
You could be working at Boeing but if no countries have money to buy airplanes you're screwed...same if you work in Erie, PA and build big ol
locomotives...if nobody is buying then you aren't working. Even if you
work in the film industry...if people aren't going to movies...you ain't workin.
Work at a mortuary or a grocery store if you can...they're recession proof kind of.
well young man, I was in fact alive

I got my first Atari system back then, and I had at least seven cartridges at christmas time

you need to lighten up
Stumpy

Kaneohe, HI

#46 Sep 14, 2009
Poison the soup. The people of today are not the people of the great depression. Today's soup-line people are just lazy malcontents with a HUGE sense of entitlement.
lol

Ewa Beach, HI

#47 Sep 15, 2009
Gustavo wrote:
No one talks about the poverty in Hawai'i especially regarding students not doing well in school. Salaries are incredibly low in Hawai'i and the cost-of-living is 25-30% more than it is on the mainland. How many kids in Hawai'i
live below the poverty line? I don't think anyone in the DOE knows or even cares.
So poverty equals doing poorly in school. Don't forget everyone's favorite phase "This ain't the mainland!" especially the neighbor isles. So your solution in improving education is getting kids out of the poverty level. Because no kid above the poverty is struggling in there studies?
Barbara Woerner

Honolulu, HI

#48 Sep 15, 2009
soooo where's this guy ...what's his name...oh yeh...Obama...there is a rumour that he is from Hawaii (actually Kenya) but if it is true perhaps it is time for him to help his "people"....meaning the people of Hawaii...heck Jimbo Carter did it with the people of Georgia when he got elected....school lunches became about 80% peanut this and that.
lol

Ewa Beach, HI

#49 Sep 15, 2009
Gustavo wrote:
In San Diego over 80% of their homeless are veterans of Vietnam and Iraq who have Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome...thanks Amerika. High levels of
PTSS in homeless populations all over the U.S. Up until about 30 years ago these people would be in a residential treatment facility in the U.S. In Scandinavia they still are...they're not on the streets.
Wow 80%! You sure love to use percentages. I thought it was 137% of the homeless were vets. Or would you actually like to quote a study on it instead of pulling one of your a$$. Yes we all believe that only 20% might Mexican legal or illegal because they all have homes when they arrive to Amerika.
quebert

Bowling Green, KY

#50 Sep 15, 2009
Feed the poor, feed the druggies, feed the indolent, you seem not to care that feeding someone elses family takes money and food away from mine. The folks WHO WORK FOR IT. I'm tired of having to limit my life to pay for the bastard offspring of someone else. Why should one group continue to subsidize children for others while our people do without? You have em, you feed em.
Stumpy

Kaneohe, HI

#52 Sep 15, 2009
Barbara Woerner wrote:
soooo where's this guy ...what's his name...oh yeh...Obama...there is a rumour that he is from Hawaii (actually Kenya) but if it is true perhaps it is time for him to help his "people"....meaning the people of Hawaii...heck Jimbo Carter did it with the people of Georgia when he got elected....school lunches became about 80% peanut this and that.
Kenya is raising money right now to put a museum on Obama's birthplace. Guess what folks, it AIN'T Honolulu.
quebert

Bowling Green, KY

#53 Sep 15, 2009
Stumpy wrote:
<quoted text> Kenya is raising money right now to put a museum on Obama's birthplace. Guess what folks, it AIN'T Honolulu.
Well Stumpy, we've been saying BOH wasn't born here for ever and a day now, even if we disagree on his citizenship status.
Stumpy

Kaneohe, HI

#54 Sep 15, 2009
quebert wrote:
<quoted text> Well Stumpy, we've been saying BOH wasn't born here for ever and a day now, even if we disagree on his citizenship status.
Maybe the millions of Kenyans are mistaken, his family included.
Big Boss Man

Ewa Beach, HI

#55 Sep 15, 2009
Get some of the people on welfare to actually use their EBT card to buy food instead of getting it free from the foodbank. Then they will save on it so that they get the cash alowance off of the card to buy more beer and cigarettes.
quebert

Bowling Green, KY

#56 Sep 16, 2009
For years til she retired, the lady who ran a restaraunt across from IHS would let the guys buy her spam, rice and other staples on EBT, and cash remit them a fraction of the actual value. She' retired now, so no worries about telling the truth at this point.
Stumpy

Kaneohe, HI

#58 Sep 16, 2009
quebert wrote:
For years til she retired, the lady who ran a restaraunt across from IHS would let the guys buy her spam, rice and other staples on EBT, and cash remit them a fraction of the actual value. She' retired now, so no worries about telling the truth at this point.
I know plenty people that have an EBT card, and every single one of them sells the food for 50% cash value. They'ed rather have beer and cigarettes for themselves than food for their kids, and that's a FACT. They will "visit" relatives around dinnertime, to keep their kids from starving, but that's about it. In the last twenty years at least, I've NEVER seen an EBT or foodstamps used for it's intended purpose.
quebert

Bowling Green, KY

#60 Sep 16, 2009
Like any system that's supposed to be "for the better" there's lots of abuse.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanapepe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
About Town | 8-29-14 Aug 29 Dody Clifford 1
Fun in Waimea Jul '14 James 2
pau pizza Jun '14 in love 1
NASA Is About to Test a Mega-Parachute at the E... Jun '14 I Will Blame Obama 1
Kauai man gets 30 days in jail for cruelty to a... (Feb '10) May '14 common sense 2
Proof on website proving Police Misconduct and ... (Apr '06) May '14 KauaiBatman 12
State timeshare properties prove popular with o... (Feb '09) May '14 Julia Anderson 3
•••
•••
•••

Hanapepe Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hanapepe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Hanapepe News, Events & Info