Candidates dash toward Super Tuesday

Candidates dash toward Super Tuesday

There are 2 comments on the The Honolulu Advertiser story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Candidates dash toward Super Tuesday. In it, The Honolulu Advertiser reports that:

State lawmakers are considering a ban on nonbiodegradable plastic bags from supermarkets and retail stores and prohibiting the use of polystyrene foam takeout food containers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Honolulu Advertiser.

eden mollway

Makawao, HI

#1 Feb 5, 2008
I'm concerned about the possibility of myriad law suits on discrimination. Obviously the manufacturers who are prohibited from selling their bags for use at supermarket check-outs, and to retail stores, are not going to be happy about their loss of revenue. In fairness, shelved bags for sale should be banned. How will that affect suppliers like Alcoa (Reynolds),Glad, Safeway, etal in their loss of revenue? Personally, I appreciate having plastic bags from the Dry Cleaners--and from the Pharmacy protecting my prescription Meds from the elements. I recycle plastic bags to dispose of garbage that might, without them, mess up the Condo trash chute.
Darrin McNeice

Ewa Beach, HI

#2 Feb 7, 2008
RE:Plastic bag ban bill opposed

Maybe a friend of Director Eric S. Takamura of the Department of Environmental Services could take him outside for a hike at Makapu‘u Point Lighthouse Trail or snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. In his wording, it is possible that Mr. Takamura is just being coy in his answer that "he sees no litter problem related to plastic bags". Maybe he is more concerned about the plastic littering the beach along the north coast hike to Hidden Beach or the cigarette butts scattered along beaches. I counted numerous bags in the trees and along the ground along the Makapu‘u Point trail. Some of these were left by inconsiderate dog owners who care so little about others enjoyment of the area as to bag their dog's excrement and then leave it for hundreds of others to see. If you choose to own a dog, please attend to it correctly. While snorkeling in Hanauma Bay and other areas around the island, I saw numerous bags floating in the surf. I took photos of some of them and would be happy to send to Mr. Takamura, they were all taken on one day and not all of the bags I saw were photographed. Mr. Takamura is obviously so dedicated to his job that he never ventures outside. A good employee, yes, a good person to have in the position of Director of the Department of Environmental Services, not so much. Someone who enjoys the outdoors and sees the impact of the litter we all create is the person who should be leading this department.

The ban is coming, the stores should accept it and hit it head on. It may not be this year, or next, but it is coming. Lets hope the stores that act now to save the environment for our future generations are rewarded with more business than they can handle. The bans can have adverse effects, for instance, in 2002 a tax on plastic shopping bags in the Republic of Ireland has cut their use by more than 90% and raised millions of euros in revenue, but increased plastic garbage bags in the land fill. We solved that by not using a plastic bag to hold our household garbage. It all goes in a small garbage bin and that is emptied every day or so and rinsed when needed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanalei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News June 27 lava flow comes to an end Jun '16 Boi Rollins 1
CJ's Restaurant Jun '16 fhughes 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Kapaa, HI (Jul '10) Feb '16 diacesus 8
News Top 10 activities on Kauai, Hawaii (Jan '16) Jan '16 Josh 1
News Former church secretary jailed for theft - Hawa... (Dec '08) Jan '16 Victim 12
News Rare skull disease afflicts child (May '08) Nov '15 District 1 27
Kapaa Music Thread (Apr '12) Nov '15 Musikologist 17

Hanalei Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hanalei Mortgages