Officials Arrested In Gambling Sting

Officials Arrested In Gambling Sting

There are 62 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Apr 6, 2008, titled Officials Arrested In Gambling Sting. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

The Charleston County Sheriff's Office says an assistant prosecutor for Calhoun, Dorchester and Orangeburg counties was among 27 people arrested in a raid on a Hanahan house where people were playing poker.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

“Forgive and Forget”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#43 Apr 7, 2008
What a joke!! there are tons of these poker houses everywhere. bust some real criminals for a change. They were playing poker!!
Crazy

Columbia, SC

#44 Apr 7, 2008
This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of! Don't they need to be spending 10 months on busting drug dealers or pedaphiles

rwwllms

“If you can't be a good example”

Since: Mar 07

be a warning

#45 Apr 7, 2008
bandit_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the government doesn't get a cut. If they taxed it then they wouldn't care.
BINGO!

no, wait, that's legal

rwwllms

“If you can't be a good example”

Since: Mar 07

be a warning

#46 Apr 7, 2008
PPLEASSE wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly!!!!!!
That's like buying alcohol on Sundays and can't buy stockings to wear to church......on SUNDAYS!!!!!
You wear stockings to Church!!??!

BLASPHEMY!!!!!HARLOT!!!!!JEZEB EL!!!!!!

all of the above said with tounge planted firmly in cheek
BDeRoysux

Columbia, SC

#47 Apr 7, 2008
rwwllms wrote:
<quoted text>
BINGO!
no, wait, that's legal
Because it is run by bible thumpers.
Hubert

AOL

#48 Apr 7, 2008
10 month invesigation for playing.."POKER."
WOW..Hang the SOB's No, not the poker players....the police!
dunno

Decatur, GA

#49 Apr 7, 2008
i think also 12 of the players had warrants for other various and assundry violations .at least thats what law enforcement said.
GetReal

Maxton, NC

#50 Apr 7, 2008
Hey Charleston PD., I saw an old woman jay walking yesterday. You should probably set up a sting operation on that corner for a year or two and see what you find. Please leave these people alone and stay out of our houses.
GetReal

Maxton, NC

#51 Apr 7, 2008
Also, FYI that's NOT Don Sorenson's house.
MBControl

Columbia, SC

#52 Apr 7, 2008
Gamecocks are awesome wrote:
What a joke!! there are tons of these poker houses everywhere. bust some real criminals for a change. They were playing poker!!
Poker in the rear, liqour in the front.
exiled

Society Hill, SC

#53 Apr 7, 2008
Gee whiz,card games are against the law. Let run and take away my granddaughter's go fish and old maids cards. only in s.c.

Since: Mar 08

Ridge Spring, SC

#54 Apr 7, 2008
That'll teach them not to double down on 11!!!
Michelle

Columbia, SC

#55 Apr 7, 2008
I think you're missing the big picture, how can they prosecute people for breaking the law when they're breaking the law? There is no such thing as a little white lie and a big white lie, crime is crime.
ex poker player

Columbia, SC

#56 Apr 7, 2008
jetty wrote:
I'm not against gambling , but this was a very well organized event . I think theres 191 players who have been busted and a300 -1000 $ buy in . too rich for my blood. I dont think this was your REGULAR monday night $20 ante poker game .I think it got too big .
for one thing it was not 191 people all at the same house, it was 191 people over 10 months that happened to play at one of those games. What they are considering "well organized" is having a schedule. Monday at Bob's house, Tuesday at Fred's house, Friday at Jim Bob's house. That is not what I call a well organized illegal gambling ring. This thing has been so sensationalized and blown out of proportion. So what if the buys ins were 300 to 1000 bucks, its their money let them spend it the way they want. This is only a big story because of Don and his political stature.
I am an American

Myrtle Beach, SC

#57 Apr 7, 2008
Don't worry, WE are from the government. YOU are safe now.
a taxpayer

Laurinburg, NC

#58 Apr 7, 2008
They were not playing ''fish'',but it has a fishy odor about it.
Perhaps,there was a regular loser over the last 10 months that decided to get even for what ever reason.There sure was a lot of foreign names listed.
jimt

Decatur, GA

#59 Apr 7, 2008
ex poker player wrote:
<quoted text>
for one thing it was not 191 people all at the same house, it was 191 people over 10 months that happened to play at one of those games. What they are considering "well organized" is having a schedule. Monday at Bob's house, Tuesday at Fred's house, Friday at Jim Bob's house. That is not what I call a well organized illegal gambling ring. This thing has been so sensationalized and blown out of proportion. So what if the buys ins were 300 to 1000 bucks, its their money let them spend it the way they want. This is only a big story because of Don and his political stature.
sounds like you lost your a$$!

“For The Love O People”

Battle Creek MI.

#60 Apr 10, 2008
verybody wants a peice of the pie

“My people got here first!”

Since: Apr 08

Front Royal VA

#61 Apr 10, 2008
While I agree that this whole investigation and sting was a waist of tax payer money, It must be said that this is an on-going theme, corruption in South Carolina's political and law enforcement establishment. Yall do realize for example that the governor allowed SCE&G an illegal monopoly on the production of electric power, in exchange for SCE&G running columbia's mass transit system, just to let SCE&G back out of the bus lines and drop that expense on the SC tax payers. and yes, even if you get your power from a co-op your still getting SCE&G power, your just getting it at a small discout, becouse your co-op buys it from them in "bulk". I will have more on this on the South Carolinians for fair utility's web page, when we can afford to get it running again.

“For The Love O People”

Battle Creek MI.

#62 Apr 11, 2008
corruption

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanahan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for HIRE 12 people for detailing job Jun 19 Cassie 1
News Ole Miss removes Mississippi flag with Confeder... (Oct '15) Jun 18 The Stealth 198
Is This All There Is? Jun 16 You Only Think Yo... 1
News Some Americans refuse to give up on Confederate... (Aug '15) Jun 13 Donald Scampi 24
Ally Tate Jun 8 T mac33 3
What Are Your Thoughts on Crime in Charleston? Jun 6 Elle Jay 3
HR Allen, Inc is owned by satan (Aug '15) Jun 5 Dirty Money Clean... 4

Hanahan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hanahan Mortgages