Officials Arrested In Gambling Sting

Officials Arrested In Gambling Sting

There are 62 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Apr 6, 2008, titled Officials Arrested In Gambling Sting. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

The Charleston County Sheriff's Office says an assistant prosecutor for Calhoun, Dorchester and Orangeburg counties was among 27 people arrested in a raid on a Hanahan house where people were playing poker.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

Lamigra

Columbia, SC

#22 Apr 7, 2008
WARLOCK wrote:
I wanna know why I was not invited to play cards.....
They heard you were out doing All Tel commercials.
joker

New York, NY

#23 Apr 7, 2008
Cops need to focus on real crime instead of gambling at a private residence
BAD WRONG

Denmark, SC

#24 Apr 7, 2008
I am a Law Enforcement Officer and I will agree that this is a waste of tax payers money. What we should be doing is taking those man hours and placing it towards property and Drug crimes. I would like to see the county property crime stats for that night. Wouln't that be a goof if a little old lady was being broken into while Law Enforcement was swooping down on a poker party.
lori

Newberry, SC

#25 Apr 7, 2008
What's next, not being allowed to play go-fish with my kids for pretzels after church? No going out in public without a bonnet? No wearing shorts on a public beach? This law is 200 years old. While these people obviously had a big organization here, and yes that IS illegal, this law needs changing. I am now off to wear a skirt above my knee and smoke a cigarette. Somebody call the cops!
dude

United States

#26 Apr 7, 2008
You have go to be kidding me! Why are the police wasting time and taxpayers money on investigating some people playing poker! Do we not have more important crimes! This is outrageous!!!!!! The police are the ones who should be investigated about this gigantic waste of time!!!!!!!!!!
Sandy

Orangeburg, SC

#27 Apr 7, 2008
We all should have been invited to the game. It sounds like fun. Whatever!!!
live

Alviso, CA

#28 Apr 7, 2008
oh my wrote:
Sounds about as well organized as the SC convenience store lottery. What's wrong is that one is supposed to be gambling and the other not. Something is wrong with that one. Leave em' alone.
As long as the state government is making money, it's OK, and therefore not a sin either.

“Snowman, you got your ears on?”

Since: May 07

"Eastbound & Down"

#29 Apr 7, 2008
dude wrote:
You have go to be kidding me! Why are the police wasting time and taxpayers money on investigating some people playing poker! Do we not have more important crimes! This is outrageous!!!!!! The police are the ones who should be investigated about this gigantic waste of time!!!!!!!!!!
Like I said before, the only reason is because the government doesn't get their cut. If they were getting money from winnings (taxes) they wouldn't care what we did with our money.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#30 Apr 7, 2008
Sorry ya'll, that means the Thursday night basement game is off.

I think the problem was , this was too organized. A pick up game with the guys is too small time to mess with...
betchman

West Columbia, SC

#31 Apr 7, 2008
what a wasted investigation. go after the criminals raping and pillaging.
PLAYA

Denmark, SC

#32 Apr 7, 2008
C'mon now Man Damnn! Is it fair that these sons of bytches dictate everthing we do as adults? That is not fair let the man have fun and do what interests him in his spare time we can't do anything up in dis bytch!
SURE THING

Columbia, SC

#33 Apr 7, 2008
LMFAO, Not in SC, no way could not of happened, Paid Elected Officials doing wrong, no way

Come on people open your eyes SC is as corrupt as they come
Gee Whiz

AOL

#34 Apr 7, 2008
Gambling has a stigma attached to it that makes people automatically think it is linked to organized crime.

“Do we still stand united?”

Since: Jun 07

Small Town in South Carolina

#35 Apr 7, 2008
Since it IS against the law, I think he should be held to a higher standard and if found guilty in court, he should recieve double the sentence of the average citizen.

It bothers me that so many of the "posters" here think this law is ridiculous and out-dated. I fear there will come a day when even the atheists will regret taking prayer out of school, and that we, as a society, have become so liberal. Just remember that every envelope we push, someone will come behind us and push it a little further, then someone else will push it even further, and so on and.....
PPLEASSE

West Columbia, SC

#36 Apr 7, 2008
The REAL Reason wrote:
The REAL reason is the "T" word. "Taxes." The State Department of Revenue wasn't getting their share.
There is no reason, other than religious ones, to forbid gambling. Any State that has a "Lottery" and forbids other gambling is a state full of hypocrites. And that sure rings true in the case of this archaic state.
Exactly!!!!!!

That's like buying alcohol on Sundays and can't buy stockings to wear to church......on SUNDAYS!!!!!
PPLEASSE

West Columbia, SC

#37 Apr 7, 2008
the questions are: Have he ever put anybody away for this same offence?
If so, then how many?

Next add up the years that have been given to those and sentence him!!!!
PPLEASSE

West Columbia, SC

#38 Apr 7, 2008
Well at least we know why real crimes in Charleston have not been solved in the last ten months.
jetty

United States

#39 Apr 7, 2008
I'm not against gambling , but this was a very well organized event . I think theres 191 players who have been busted and a300 -1000 $ buy in . too rich for my blood. I dont think this was your REGULAR monday night $20 ante poker game .I think it got too big .
Racist

United States

#40 Apr 7, 2008
ClownMan wrote:
I think the problem was , this was too organized. A pick up game with the guys is too small time to mess with...
That is the key
Tibbs

Columbia, SC

#42 Apr 7, 2008
LOL, typical conservative backward arse south carolina. Ignorant people listen up. The person busted for playing poker is the same officer of the court who would have no problem prosecuting the general public for the same crime. It has nothing to do with your personal feelings about a law, it has everything to do with court officals breaking the laws that they prosecute daily

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanahan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 9 dead in 'hate crime' shooting at S.C. church 2 hr goonsquad 342
News Charleston church shooting coverage criticized ... 3 hr Ben 354
News Activist takes down Confederate flag outside So... 3 hr Synque 47
News Mainstream Right-Wingers, Don't Even Start With... 4 hr Larry Craig s WC ... 376
News The Confederate flag was always racist Sun NotSoDivineMsM 6
Beeping Noise Jun 2 Kristin 1
News South Carolina Police Arrest 'Frozen's' Elsa Fo... Feb '15 Spotted Girl 2
More from around the web

Hanahan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Hanahan Mortgages