Man who jumped from Ravenel Bridge id...

Man who jumped from Ravenel Bridge identified

There are 16 comments on the Post and Courier story from Feb 4, 2014, titled Man who jumped from Ravenel Bridge identified. In it, Post and Courier reports that:

He was Roland Bauer, 45, of Mount Pleasant, according to the Charleston County Coroner's Office.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Post and Courier.

charliedog

Glasgow, KY

#1 Feb 7, 2014
Does anyone know why this guy was so deeply troubled. I was at the pier when he jumped off the bridge and it has really bothered me to know. I hurt so bad for his family.
Barbara

Mount Pleasant, SC

#2 May 12, 2014
I am so sorry you had to witness someone end their life this way and I can understand why it would trouble you. I have felt so sad for those on the bridge that day enjoying their walk, never expecting to see someone jump. I pray that memory will fade soon. Maybe knowing the reasons why Roland made this choice can help make sense of such a senseless act.

I was very close to Roland, he was my son, and our family misses him so much...although it's impossible to know the depths of despair that led him to make such a decision this we know: He had suffered from depression for two years, medication and therapy didn't help enough and he became hopeless. Although we didn't realize he would end his life.. A betrayal by his wife led to divorce and financial hardship. He was crushed by her affair, it broke his heart, he never recovered from it.

Thank you for your concern for our family, it helps to know others care in this heartless world. We are struggling with so many emotions and trying to carry on. My firm hope lies in the resurrection Jesus promised where we will be together forever in a peaceful paradise.
The only reason I found this blog is because I was searching "jump from Ravenel bridge" for any information on my sons death. There was an attempt to stop him. If you have any info regarding his fall, please let me know. I would hope he died instantly. Thank you for caring and I hope this answers some questions for you. Barbara
charliedog

Glasgow, KY

#3 May 25, 2014
I am so sorry for the loss of your son. I have a son also and realize what heartbreak you feel. I truly believe you will be with your son one day. My husband and I were at the end of the pier, when Roland jumped from the bridge. We did not witness when he came down, but we did see him once he hit the water. We want you to know it was instant. I called 911 immediately and they told me they had already had a call to them. From the moment I called 911, exactly 15 minutes later, his body was recovered. My husband and I have thought about Roland's family alot and hurt so badly for them. I have a nephew who fought depression for a long time and took his life also. It's so hard to understand depression. May God give you the strength you need to carry on and we will continue to keep you in our prayers.
Barbara

Mount Pleasant, SC

#4 Jun 3, 2014
Thank you for letting us know, and putting our mind at ease that he did not suffer. So sorry about your nephew, and what your family went through. I appreciate you kind thoughts and prayers.
Gina

Washington, DC

#5 Jun 7, 2014
I just wanted you to know what a delight Roland was to work with and how good he was at his work. That's how I came to know him, when he worked as a patent draftsman in Arlington, Virginia. My firm continued to contract out its patent drafting to Roland when he moved to South Carolina. In all of our dealings, he was always kind, considerate, and very competent. I left the firm a few years ago, and so we were out of touch, but I never forgot Roland.

It was when I was looking him up just to see how he was doing that I learned of his tragic death. I am so sorry for your loss. Please know that his life touched many others who will mourn him and pray for you on his behalf.
Cmac

Alexandria, VA

#6 Nov 22, 2014
We knew him as Roly And while I haven't seen him since high school, nor did I know him well, I did know him to be a kind and wonderful person who never had a mean thing to say about anyone. It was only today that I learned of his tragic death- at a reunion of sorts with old high school friends, who informed me of his untimely death. I am so heartbroken to hear of his loss- and sad for those who witnessed what had to be such a traumatic event. Although I don't understand why he felt the need to end his life far too soon, I do believe that the world is a smaller place without him. RIP Roly.
Cmac

Alexandria, VA

#7 Nov 22, 2014
Barbara- for what it's worth, so many of us from Seneca Valley loved Rolly and were so saddened to hear of his death and only wish we knew of his struggles with depression so we could help. It is the ability of the sufferer to hide it that is the cruel duplicity of depression- I know having lost my own loved ones to it. Our hearts go out to you, his children and brother and entire family. I cannot imagine your grief and hope that God will give you comfort as you try to make sense and peace with this unbelievable loss. We will keep you and your family in our prayers. Please accept our deepest condolences. Sincerely- some of the many at svhs who knew and loved him.
BTW

Ypsilanti, MI

#8 Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for sharing your kind thoughts with me. Yes, Roly was just wonderful and so much fun to be around. He cared for others more than himself. He was always helping neighbors. Everyone he met liked him a lot. He was the same fun guy you all loved! Our family is so enriched by loving him. Roly would be the last guy you wold think that would do such a thing. Depression kills. Affairs can kill too.(His wife's)
I am sorry for your loss as well. Thank you sharing your memories of Roly with me, it means more than you know! SVHS is still a tight group of friends, that's great. Love to all of you!!!
Alexis

Mount Pleasant, SC

#9 Feb 2, 2015
Today I came across this by searching for more information on my brothers death., like my mom Barbara...And I did not know any of this was out there and although heartbroken it gives me some comfort to know others cared and saw something. Ro was not only my brother but best friend. I can only say Ro was seriously depressed and I thought that he would just get better, as to so many bad things he had been through with his mother(Peggy) and lists go on and on...He could always still be okay. And I don't know what the final thing was. I just know that when I found the letter, inside me I knew where to go , I found his car and was 7 minuets too late...I will always want to know did someone try to talk to him , did he smoke a cigarette while walking up there. I will always question what I could have done? His loss is devastating. Ro I hope you resting peacefully.
charliedog

Glasgow, KY

#10 Feb 3, 2015
Alexis, I am so very sorry for your pain. I can not even begin to imagine the pain you and your family must feel. I just want you and your family to know that there are people that don't even know you that care and are sorry for your loss. I hope you know that there was nothing you could have done to stop your brother. Depression is such a terrible disease and so very hard to understand. The depressed person is in such a deep dark hole that it is hard for them to see there is a brighter day ahead. Roland was very blessed to have had the wonderful family that he had.
Observing

Charleston, SC

#11 Mar 29, 2015
charliedog wrote:
Alexis, I am so very sorry for your pain. I can not even begin to imagine the pain you and your family must feel. I just want you and your family to know that there are people that don't even know you that care and are sorry for your loss. I hope you know that there was nothing you could have done to stop your brother. Depression is such a terrible disease and so very hard to understand. The depressed person is in such a deep dark hole that it is hard for them to see there is a brighter day ahead. Roland was very blessed to have had the wonderful family that he had.

So sad, I too, thought about your family after this.:(
Lonnie

Falls Church, VA

#12 Oct 28, 2015
I worked with Roland from later in 2011 until his passing (he created patent drawings for me). He was such a great guy. We talked at length multiple times and I always enjoyed our conversations. Every time I look at a patent drawing he did it just brings back memories and I always feel badly for his family. I called him that day, but I was too late. I always wonder if I would have called him a little earlier, or the day before, whether something might have been different. It is too easy to second guess things that might have been.

My deepest condolences to Roland's family. My wish is for no one else to ever have to go through such pain.
greatful dead

Mount Pleasant, SC

#13 Jan 6, 2016
I had no idea that this was here. Are there friends and family still checking this site?
wtcsret

King George, VA

#14 Jan 7, 2016
greatful dead wrote:
I had no see idea that this was here. Are there friends and family still checking this site?
Ok
greatful dead

Mount Pleasant, SC

#15 Jan 29, 2016
How could I get in touch with his family? Today is his birthday.....
Barbara

Mount Pleasant, SC

#16 Apr 4, 2016
greatful dead wrote:
How could I get in touch with his family? Today is his birthday.....
I still check in here, but it's been awhile. You could sent me a Facebook friend request Barbara Thorne Wood. I would like to hear from you...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanahan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Central Mosque of Charleston invites community ... 23 hr Crusader 2
Facebook Bans Over American Flag Fri yup 2
News A photo of a 4-year-old with Hillary Clinton wa... Dec 1 Spotted Girl 1
Marie Hicks Inabinett (Sep '12) Nov 30 Know The Kind 80
run the yankees out of charleston Nov 29 Shadup 18
News Accused church shooter can act as his own attor... Nov 29 Nellie 1
News City struggles to appease residents who oppose ... Nov 27 So Long 1

Hanahan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance