Baby Trafficking in South Carolina

Posted in the Hanahan Forum

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#1 Aug 27, 2013
This entire article is well worth a read:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/201...

Here are part of the "Highlights":

South Carolina, is a state which is known to be a safe haven for quickie private adoptions to wealthy couples seeking domestic babies in the United States. Time Magazine ran a feature story in 1984 entitled “Newborn Fever—Flocking to an Adoption Mecca,” in which South Carolina's questionable adoption practices are described as “a unique blend of tax laws, aggressive lawyers and open-minded newspapers.” Home studies, it says, are “are routinely waived by South Carolina's lenient family-court judges.”

These practices, say legal experts, have led to a deeply dark underbelly in the U.S. adoption industry that is little different than human trafficking, and in direct violation of the 13th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

“There's no question that this is human trafficking at its worst. It's the selling of infants and children to the highest bidder,” says Mason.“These kids generate huge legal fees in the process and there is a lot of fee splitting among attorney and adoption practitioners in keeping the assembly line moving.”

Tulsa attorney Mike Yeksavich handled the adoption of Baby Deseray in collaboration with the law firm of Bado and Bado, an Edmond, Oklahoma-based adoption team. Together, the two law firms coordinated the adoption with attorney Raymond Godwin and Nightlight Christian Adoptions in Greenville, South Carolina. Godwin is also the attorney who handled Veronica's adoption to Matt and Melanie Capobianco in 2009. Veronica's adoption, which also went through without notification to the birth father, Dusten Brown, or the Cherokee Nation, has become the most expensive, litigious custody battle in U.S. History.
disgusted

Charleston, SC

#2 Aug 27, 2013
I think they need to ammend the Ten Commandments to include "Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Child".
One party in a certain ongoing case is behaving as though this is a property dispute. I pray every day they do not prevail.
Thank you for your insightful postings.
MrsK

Salina, KS

#3 Sep 4, 2013
Thank you for recognizing this problem within the state of South Carolina.
It seems babies bring high prices, the younger they are the higher the price. The issue is a very sad one. As many fathers are kept out of the adoption process and do not know it happens until South Carolina deems it too late for them. It is easy for a mother to hide from the father and family until her deceit is done, in he wake of her trail, leaving victims all over. People who want to adopt are being duped as well. It is past time that federal laws are made to protect the fathers and adoptive couples interests and put a end to clogging the courts with cases that should never happen.
disgusted

Charleston, SC

#4 Sep 4, 2013
MrsK wrote:
Thank you for recognizing this problem within the state of South Carolina.
It seems babies bring high prices, the younger they are the higher the price. The issue is a very sad one. As many fathers are kept out of the adoption process and do not know it happens until South Carolina deems it too late for them. It is easy for a mother to hide from the father and family until her deceit is done, in he wake of her trail, leaving victims all over. People who want to adopt are being duped as well. It is past time that federal laws are made to protect the fathers and adoptive couples interests and put a end to clogging the courts with cases that should never happen.
If the so-called "adoptive parents" in this case truly loved Baby Veronica, they would leave her alone to be with her REAL father.
Mary Brown

Columbia, SC

#5 Sep 5, 2013
I have never seen an adoption finalize in SC with no home study. You are wrong.

Location hidden

#6 Sep 8, 2013
Mary Brown wrote:
Have you ever heard of a hopeful (but disputed) adoption being put on hold for 18 months then being finalized without a "child's present day best interests hearing"?

That happened in Charleston to 4 year old "Baby Veronica".

If anyone finds it on your heart to check out then sign a moveon petition asking for Veronica's 14th Amendment right to Due Process be upheld that would be appreciated.

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/governor-fal...

Location hidden

#7 Sep 8, 2013
Mary Brown wrote:
indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/08/27...

"South Carolina, is a state known to be a safe haven for quickie private adoptions to wealthy couples seeking domestic babies in the United States. Time Magazine ran a feature story in 1984 entitled “Newborn Fever—Flocking to an Adoption Mecca,” in which South Carolina's questionable adoption practices are described as “a unique blend of tax laws, aggressive lawyers and open-minded newspapers.” Home studies, it says, are “are routinely waived by South Carolina's lenient family-court judges.”

Location hidden

#8 Sep 11, 2013
Mary Brown wrote:
New news. Well not really new - just now becoming public:

Going deeper than the Veronica Brown case do you know there was a second infant girl removed from Oklahoma about 20 May 2013?

Her name is Deserai, her mother placed her in an adoption with yet another couple in South Carolina using the same "team" that brokered the Veronica case - a South Carolina Attorney and Adoption Agency (Owned by a husband/ wife team).

When it become public that her father did not know Deserai was taken the first pre-adoptive South Carolina couple had enough moral sense to return her although it looks like she was only returned to the Adoption Agency then re-placed with a second SC couple. There was no paperwork done for the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children or the ICPC (that's a law for "everybody involved in adoption", no matter the baby's race).

The ICPC is a contract among member states and U.S. territories authorizing them to work together to ensure that children who are placed across state lines for foster care or adoption receive adequate protection and support services. The ICPC establishes procedures for the placement of children and fixes responsibility for agencies and individuals involved in placing children.

Never mind the definition of the ICPC, it was totally ignored. I wonder exactly how much money these agencies charge for these type services?

Money was the force behind Deserai's adoption. Money is/was the force behind the Veronica Brown case too. The "Adoption Facilitator's" faces may change but the game stays the same. What's the game one may ask?

The game is Money.

The question now is "cui bono?" To whose benefit is an adoption when if not for Money the child wouldn't be placed for adoption?

The one person NOT involved in this paid adoption was Deserai's father, his baby was born in Oklahoma (May 2013) and within 10 days she was in South Carolina and Adoption proceedings were already filed in SOUTH CAROLINA claiming ABANDONMENT BY THE FATHER IN OKLAHOMA (does anyone see a pattern here?)-- The pattern is deceit.

Today the Oklahoma county, Oklahoma court ruled that Deserai is to be returned to Oklahoma.

http://www.news9.com/story/23406889/court-rul ...

I am waiting to see if Deserai's Best Interests are as important to Governors Haley and Fallin as Veronica Brown's lack of Best Interests have been.

Is Governor Haley sending Deserai home on the same airplane used to transport SC Deputies to Oklahoma to pick up Veronica and her father?

Is Governor Haley going to allow an Oklahoma Court's decision regarding Deserai's return to her family in Oklahoma?

Is our Society going to continue to turn their head and ignore this selling of children in 21st Century America?

All above is *my opinion* regarding the facts in these 2 separate yet closely related paid adoption cases.

Location hidden

#9 Sep 13, 2013
Mary Brown wrote:
Mary, I thought you might be interested in the latest OK babies for sale in SC story in the National News out of OK (and SC yesterday - Friday).

Remember my above post about the ICPC and how the greedy adoption teams are violating this Law - NOT the ICWA (Indian Child Welfare Act) BUT the ICPC (a Federal law that governs moving infants and children between states; this is in place to prevent child trafficking by anyone (well, it prevents those paid adoption folks from moving infants without an authorized plan in place and the plan allows child protection services to know where these babies are at any given time -- but only IF these "Bassinet Hounds" actually follow this Law).

Baby Deserai - the second provable case of child trafficking from OK to SC has hit the National news and this is what Newspapers are saying about this deplorable behavior:

http://www.ivpressonline.com/news/nation/okla...

In a case that is drawing comparisons to a long-running adoption dispute over a 4-year-old Cherokee girl (Veronica), an Oklahoma County District Court judge awarded custody this week of a 4-month-old infant (Deserai)to the Absentee Shawnee Tribe following a South Carolina couple's attempt to adopt her.

In both cases, a South Carolina couple has attempted to adopt a tribal member born in Oklahoma and placed up for adoption by the mother. In both cases, the father objected. A federal law called the Indian Child Welfare Act mandates strict procedures for guardianship and custody of Native American children.

--- In both cases another common denominator is a SC attorney that actually wrote a book (in abt 1993) on "How to Adopt" (along with his wife who owns a local SC adoption agency). This Book is available via amazon(dot)com.---

This same attorney responded via email to the Associated Press and this is what the AP has to say:

'The couple, Godwin acknowledged, DID leave Oklahoma WITHOUT obtaining an interstate compact agreement (ICPC), which governs the placement of children from one state to another'.

'But they only did so under dire circumstances," Godwin said in the statement. "Any statements by the birth father or the Absentee Shawnee Indian Tribe that the child was whisked out of Oklahoma a couple of days after birth are patently false.'(Someone's nose is growing)-

-- The SC couple that took Deserai from OK to SC returned her to a local SC adoption agency, so what we're reading about this baby's placement is in relation to the second couple she was placed with.--

'Ray Godwin said the couple then went to family court in South Carolina and a temporary custody order was put in place. It's unclear if the adoptive couple plan to appeal the Oklahoma order, though Godwin did write that the couple are trying to obtain an interstate compact agreement.'

NOW they want an ICPC? That may prove pretty tough after violating Oklahoma and US Federal Law by removing a baby less than 10 days old from her blood family without an ICPC in place, in Oklahoma.

For the love of God -- how can citizens of SC condone this behavior?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanahan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marie Hicks Inabinett (Sep '12) 13 hr Tell Me 30
heroin (Mar '12) Dec 21 Jmazzy 7
Same-sex marriage is just the beginning Dec 21 Doctor Doo-little 43
SmallTown Country Living Dec 16 Ramona 3
Area Dec 16 lgw 3
Charleston County Authorities Search for Home I... Dec 15 whatever 1
Charleston Housing Cost 25% Higher Than Nationa... Dec 14 HaHaHaHa 4
Hanahan Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web