Judge Refuses to Move Trial of Mom Accused of Killing Kids

Full story: WLTX Columbia

MONCKS CORNER, S.C. -- The attorney for a mother accused of killing her two children by leaving them in a hot car says police ignored items in the vehicle that show the woman was concerned about her children's ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 110 Comments Last updated Sep 28, 2007
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
whats that now

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 22, 2007
 
regardless of if she left a whole damn refridgerator in the car common sense tells you not to leave the windows rolled up when it is so friggin hot with nothing in the car much less your children..she was so worried bout not losing her job now shes lost that her kids and her mind probably.
ford

Gilbert, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 23, 2007
 
if she worked at the school she could have the charges droped like the other lady did
Luticia

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 23, 2007
 
Why is there even a need for a trial? There is no question of who is responsible for the deaths of these innocent children. Why are we wasting tax money on what we already know? Let the judge dispense the appropriate punishment for the crime and be done with it!

Since: Aug 07

Somewhere over the Rainbow

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 23, 2007
 
It doesn't matter what she left in the car. She should have called work and explained that she would have to miss the day, or at the very least, a few hours, until she could find appropriate child care.

Sad situation, indeed, but she needs to pay for her actions.
Heather

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 23, 2007
 
And if they move the trial, does she expect to find compassion for her actions anyplace else.

Come to Sumter and I'll find her guilty.

If she wants it moved, then the defense should have to pay ALL costs involved in the process.
READY FOR JUSTICE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 23, 2007
 
Judge in Magistrate's Court was correct. He/She made the right decision.

BWG

“Cogito ergo sum”

Since: May 07

Irmo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 23, 2007
 
Heather wrote:
And if they move the trial, does she expect to find compassion for her actions anyplace else.
Come to Sumter and I'll find her guilty.
If she wants it moved, then the defense should have to pay ALL costs involved in the process.
This is just the usual legal song and dance. How would she pay money for anything? This is probably a court appointed attorney, who is trying to portray her as showing some "thought” and "concern". Regardless of the obvious fact that leaving of the children in a hot vehicle was lunacy. Give her a trail, let her live with the fact she allowed her children to die a horrible death and lock her up. I’ll be glad when this whole mess is over. But if even one idiot stops to think before they do something like this to a child in the future, because of this incident, that at least would be a good thing.

WTH

Since: Sep 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 23, 2007
 
I'm going with the judge here...
NO her trial should NOT be moved...
NO She was NOT concerned about those precious babies.....
She did NOT have the necessary provisions for those chidldren..if she had.. they would've had a baby- sitter or 'mommy dearest' should have stayed home !
These pathetic defenders must have their head up their azzes !
Justice

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 23, 2007
 
Luticia wrote:
Why is there even a need for a trial? There is no question of who is responsible for the deaths of these innocent children. Why are we wasting tax money on what we already know? Let the judge dispense the appropriate punishment for the crime and be done with it!
It's the great american (legal system)... like it, or hate it... everyone is entitled to their day in court.
Justice

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 23, 2007
 
WTH wrote:
I'm going with the judge here...
NO her trial should NOT be moved...
NO She was NOT concerned about those precious babies.....
She did NOT have the necessary provisions for those chidldren..if she had.. they would've had a baby- sitter or 'mommy dearest' should have stayed home !
These pathetic defenders must have their head up their azzes !
I agree with you WTH. These criminals never think about the consequences when they are committing these crimes... but, "only" after getting locked up and sitting their thinking of "what they should have done".

Then they try to come up with these brillant ideals. I am sorry I do not sympathize for no one who neglects a helpless child that causes them death.

These poor kids did not ask to be born, nor placed in that situation. What really makes me upset is when I hear these horror stories about how parents neglect/abuse these little kids/babies I get so disgusted with them because little kids/babies have no choice as to say... "I don't want to go" or don't leave me here etc.

IOW... they have no say over their lives. This is why I favor the government (s) when they step in and prosecute parents, siblings, guardians etc. when they commit these crimes toward little helpless kids/babies.
AMY

Bedford, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 23, 2007
 
Why does people always say we didnt't asked to be born. Do u remember being in your mothers womb, do u remember coming out the birth canal?
How far back can u remember? I doubt not as far as birth. Therefore how do we know we werent asked to be born?
We could have been spirits in heaven.
And said God I really want to be born
& go down to Earth for a while. Im not making a joke. Im being serious.
I think it does matter what the woman had in her car. I myself am a single mother of 2little girls, its hard to find a sitter even if u r going to work. Though I would never leave my girls in the car alone. Stop judging.
At least she was trying to work & not laid back on public assitance. This woman will live in her own prison for the rest of her life no matter what sentence she gets.
Justice

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 23, 2007
 
AMY wrote:
Why does people always say we didnt't asked to be born. Do u remember being in your mothers womb, do u remember coming out the birth canal?
How far back can u remember? I doubt not as far as birth. Therefore how do we know we werent asked to be born?
We could have been spirits in heaven.
And said God I really want to be born
& go down to Earth for a while. Im not making a joke. Im being serious.
I think it does matter what the woman had in her car. I myself am a single mother of 2little girls, its hard to find a sitter even if u r going to work. Though I would never leave my girls in the car alone. Stop judging.
At least she was trying to work & not laid back on public assitance. This woman will live in her own prison for the rest of her life no matter what sentence she gets.
And that's the scary part about your comment... "You're Serious"

“I STAND FOR THE PPL UR AGAINST”

Since: Aug 07

Orangeburg, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 23, 2007
 
TO JUSTICE : U gotta look deeper. U gotta realize everybody does not think normal. Some people does not see the world the way everyone else does. Some people like me see the good in people who have done evil. So I changed my headline. I stand for the people u r against.

“I STAND FOR THE PPL UR AGAINST”

Since: Aug 07

Orangeburg, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 23, 2007
 
What if this lady who did this to her
children were your sister. U would hurt & miss your neice & nephew. But u would also be hurting for your sister. Sweetheart in Gods eyes this is your sister. Dont look down upon her. She thought she was helping her children by getting out working trying to provide for them she didnt mean for this to happen.
SCgurl

Swansea, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 23, 2007
 
OburgInDaHouse wrote:
TO JUSTICE : U gotta look deeper. U gotta realize everybody does not think normal. Some people does not see the world the way everyone else does. Some people like me see the good in people who have done evil. So I changed my headline. I stand for the people u r against.
Well, you're just as demented as she is!
SCgurl

Swansea, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sep 23, 2007
 
OburgInDaHouse wrote:
What if this lady who did this to her
children were your sister. U would hurt & miss your neice & nephew. But u would also be hurting for your sister. Sweetheart in Gods eyes this is your sister. Dont look down upon her. She thought she was helping her children by getting out working trying to provide for them she didnt mean for this to happen.
You've lost focus on the crime here. Two children are dead because this woman was selfishly worried about losing her job. Nothing is worth risking your children's lives- NOTHING. She might not have meant for this to happen but she did it anyway. To me, it is like someone drinking and then getting into a car and causing an accident to where someone is killed. People have to be held accountable for their actions. She KNEW better and that is what matters. She is an educated individual that works in HEALTHCARE. She had to have known the effects of hyperthermia.

If she was my sister, I would expect her to serve her time and then get on with her life. You say in God's eyes this is our sister- well, how do you feel about people who murder children or abuse children? Would you excuse that too?
SCgurl

Swansea, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 23, 2007
 
AMY wrote:
Why does people always say we didnt't asked to be born. Do u remember being in your mothers womb, do u remember coming out the birth canal?
How far back can u remember? I doubt not as far as birth. Therefore how do we know we werent asked to be born?
We could have been spirits in heaven.
And said God I really want to be born
& go down to Earth for a while. Im not making a joke. Im being serious.
I think it does matter what the woman had in her car. I myself am a single mother of 2little girls, its hard to find a sitter even if u r going to work. Though I would never leave my girls in the car alone. Stop judging.
At least she was trying to work & not laid back on public assitance. This woman will live in her own prison for the rest of her life no matter what sentence she gets.
We don't ask to be born in situations where the person who is suppose to protect us, kills us.

How can you not judge when the cause of death of these kids was because their mom locked them in a car with battery operated fans? Have you ever seen one of those? Do you really think they can keep you cool when the temp is over 100 degrees?

To get this case thrown out on a technicality is ridiculous- she doesn't want to go to jail! If I caused my children's death, I would want to suffer the rest of my life but obviously she doesn't.
I doubt she will spend life in prison- she'll probably get a lesser manslaughter sentence and be out in no time to have more kids and screw their lives up as well.
SCgurl

Swansea, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 23, 2007
 
Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you WTH. These criminals never think about the consequences when they are committing these crimes... but, "only" after getting locked up and sitting their thinking of "what they should have done".
Then they try to come up with these brillant ideals. I am sorry I do not sympathize for no one who neglects a helpless child that causes them death.
These poor kids did not ask to be born, nor placed in that situation. What really makes me upset is when I hear these horror stories about how parents neglect/abuse these little kids/babies I get so disgusted with them because little kids/babies have no choice as to say... "I don't want to go" or don't leave me here etc.
IOW... they have no say over their lives. This is why I favor the government (s) when they step in and prosecute parents, siblings, guardians etc. when they commit these crimes toward little helpless kids/babies.
Amen. And when they do realize what tourble thy're in, they are so sorry for what they did and they didn't mean for that to happen. If my children died because of something I did, I couldn't live with myself and I wouldn't care how much time I got. Apparently, Ms. Heyward doesn't feel like she should go to jail so to me, she is not feeling much regret over what happened. I would have gladly taken those children myself to spare their lives.

Our children trust us to protect them and keep them out of any harm's way and to provide them with love. That is your responsibility as a parent. I think the justice system should make examples out of anyone who harms a child regardless of whether it was intended or not.
Justice

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 23, 2007
 
OburgInDaHouse wrote:
TO JUSTICE : U gotta look deeper. U gotta realize everybody does not think normal. Some people does not see the world the way everyone else does. Some people like me see the good in people who have done evil. So I changed my headline. I stand for the people u r against.
Keep on standing... next week we'll be reading about you, and your kids?. And since you have taken it upon yourself to stand with this killer... I want to see you at every trial.... contributing to her legal defense team etc, etc. Oh, BTW... I am not against her... she killed her kids, and that's that.
Justice

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 23, 2007
 
SCgurl wrote:
<quoted text>
You've lost focus on the crime here. Two children are dead because this woman was selfishly worried about losing her job. Nothing is worth risking your children's lives- NOTHING. She might not have meant for this to happen but she did it anyway. To me, it is like someone drinking and then getting into a car and causing an accident to where someone is killed. People have to be held accountable for their actions. She KNEW better and that is what matters. She is an educated individual that works in HEALTHCARE. She had to have known the effects of hyperthermia.
If she was my sister, I would expect her to serve her time and then get on with her life. You say in God's eyes this is our sister- well, how do you feel about people who murder children or abuse children? Would you excuse that too?
Say no more... You could not have said it any better. Some people will never ever get the point. Ask her would she let this same woman baby-sit here kids, and see what see will say.

But then again, a person that thinks like her may not have kids... and not by choice

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Hanahan Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hanahan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Hanahan News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hanahan
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••